• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armikrog |OT| Stop Motion Fun for Everyone

wipeout364

I put this in my cart a couple of times on GOG but I can't pull the trigger, just not sure it will be worth 30 dollars. I hope the reviews are good, fingers crossed.

Tentatively Backed this, so I'll get it eventually.

I'm still a little apprehensive, though. I've heard tales about TenNapel being.. err.. "Extremely Right Wing", If you know what I mean.

I know I shouldn't let the political views about a creator affect my analysis of the creation (Especially since i'm a big fan of EWJ and GKR which doesn't have any of that kind of stuff), but..

Guess I'll just put it in the back of my head until after I've finished, much like I did for FEZ.

Tentatively Backed this, so I'll get it eventually.

I'm still a little apprehensive, though. I've heard tales about TenNapel being.. err.. "Extremely Right Wing", If you know what I mean.

I know I shouldn't let my personal political views about a creator affect my analasys of the creation (And this is coming from a big fan of EWJ and GKR), but..

Guess I'll just put it in the back of my head until after I've finished, much like I did for FEZ.

Yeah it was a bummer finding that out years later after all those fuzzy memories of Neverhood and Earthworm Jim, but I think I can separate art from artist. I'm sure many of our fav artists and devs have their own skeletons, doesn't mean we can't still appreciate their work. That's how I like to look at it anyhow.

That said excited for Wednesday!

SOME-MIST

eh... what he's said doesn't really bother me. in the main interview that's used as fuel against him... he was asked some questions and answered in a way that was truthful to himself.

I don't think I've seen him go on any solo tirades, but I could be wrong. I also have absolutely zero interest in viewing his blog. I think he even back peddled on that initial interview and explained how his answers could have been phrased better and were used out of context.

regardless... it's finally here and I'm way too excited - I'm hoping the keys go out soon.

Wanderer5

More than 2 years after its kickstarter succeeded in reaching its base goal, and now it just around the corner.:D So excited, even through I probably won't be able to play much of it till next week.

Deadstar

I hope this lives up to The Neverhood, one of the best games of all time. I would love to see a Neverhood release on steam. If I recall there was some greedy company that wouldn't let it be released.

I hope this lives up to The Neverhood, one of the best games of all time. I would love to see a Neverhood release on steam. If I recall there was some greedy company that wouldn't let it be released.

The last I recall reading is that EA currently owns it. GOG has been able to get some of their games so I don't know what's holding it up.

I still have my original boxed copy of Neverhood for PC. I might pick this up sometimes this week. It's great to see that they made it to the finish line.

It's not available for purchase on any of the popular services like GOG or Steam but fortunately it's supported in ScummVM so all that's required is a disc copy of the game.

I had no idea that ScummVM supported The Neverhood. Woah... I have been itching to replay this game again, but I could never get it to run on modern Windows.

inm8num2

First review?

www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...medic-Nostalgic-90s-Point-and-Click-Adventure

I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy Armkirog. The writing is great and the clay environment design is exquisite. It's just that it feels dated. We've made many advancements in U.I. and playability in the point and click genre since the 1990s and Armikrog doesn't seem to adopt any of them. As a result, the game can feel like a confusing slog, which is a real shame - because I frequently found myself wanting to see what crazy antics would befall Tommynaut and Beak Beak next.

Bottom Line: Armikrog is a fun and quirky point-and-click adventure game with unfortunately dated mechanics.

Hm, interesting...wonder how other reactions/reviews will compare.

Salsa

wont be able to play for a week cause im on a trip. but managed to buy it at the last second from my hotel room. excited

muteki

I'm extremely interested and can't wait to play on PS4.

I'm not sure I agree with criticizing the "dated"-ness of a point and click adventure game, but maybe I'll understand it better once I can get my hands on it.

Have you tried logging in to Humble Bundle with the e-mail you used for Kickstarter? That should give you your key.

Yeah, the lack of it there was my big confusion point.

But the other posts seem to indicate it'll be a little later. I'll try again when home from work.

Thanks everyone.

Haven't picked it up yet but some initial impressions:

The good news: You can play Armikrog… The bad news: …Most of the time. Despite multiple delays for last-minute polishing, I’d still describe this game as “coming in hot.” For instance, on Monday I tried to load Armikrog on my GTX 980 Ti-equipped build with the “Fantastic” graphics preset and it crashed before it even reached the menu.

That’s just the most egregious bug though. I’ve played a few hours so far and also wrestled with everything from animation glitches to unresponsive hot zones.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2987...mby-on-acid-like-game-could-use-a-bit-mo.html

That's a bit of a bummer, will still get it get it for sure though. From those impressions it seems stubbornly old school in more than one way, no graphics options? No indicators when hovering pointer over objects either. That can be seen as a good thing for nostalgia buffs I suppose, though I wouldn't mind some indication of what can be selected as an option.

inm8num2

From that PCWorld review:

Armikrog is hard as hell, with most puzzles based around arcane symbols and audio cues. Expect to keep a notebook handy.

Music to old-school point and click fans' ears!

Hopefully the technical issues don't mar the launch too significantly.

I remember playing The Neverhood out of a random choice back in the piracy disc era. Never got to finish it as a kid but the visuals stood out impeccably outside of Abe's Oddyssey. Curious to see how this game fares out.

Nice to see it released now. Won't get to play it until later tonight.

We've made many advancements in U.I. and playability in the point and click genre since the 1990s and Armikrog doesn't seem to adopt any of them.

This actually makes me really happy, lol.

Armikrog is hard as hell, with most puzzles based around arcane symbols and audio cues. Expect to keep a notebook handy.

And so does this! Despite having most of The Neverhood memorized, I still need a notebook for a few puzzles. Glad to see that trend will continue.

bumpkin

Yeah, the lack of it there was my big confusion point.

But the other posts seem to indicate it'll be a little later. I'll try again when home from work.

Thanks everyone.
Still nothing in my Humble Bundle account yet either and it's well past 12pm PDT now.

I'm mainly bummin' cuz I backed at one of the mid-priced tiers. :(

SOME-MIST

got around 9 rooms deep during lunch at work... and documenting my playthrough via a private board... so hopefully that'll help keeping track of all the symbols.

really excited to play more, but won't have any time tonight :[

lyrick

Had it crash on me twice with 1080p settings, (I was dinking around with other stuff on my PC though and didn't have the game window open either time...)

My first 10 Minutes of Gameplay: https://youtu.be/WcV21Foga6g

Came across a decent amount of puzzles, solved none of them...

The environments are great looking.

Acosta

Looks gorgeous... :)

Stuck in the first puzzle... :(

My love/hate relationship with graphical adventure goes on it seems.

Don't have time to dig into it right now, have errands to run, but booted it up for a few minutes.

First impression.. The video and audio compression in the intro is atrocious. Just terrible.

On the other hand, if you pretend this is a lost game from 15 years ago, it feels acceptable.

I never played a whole lot of PC games back in the day. I did enjoy a few here and there, and I always liked puzzle solving games like this, the few that I played.
One of my favorite games on NES was Maniac Mansion.. so there's that.

Anyway, I'm in a world of hurt with these puzzles. Time to bust out a notebook.

This definitely isn't a telltale game (ick).

This game is stunningly gorgeous.

The movie audio was...uh...weird though.

The puzzles are just like mama used to make; completely unhelpful and delivered straight into your rectum.

I think the only thing that bugs me is that a game not having your standard tutorial and expecting you to experiment is fine.

But a game that doesn't tell you pertinent information at the outset that helps you solve puzzles, like clicking on Beak Beak controls him is terrible.

There's no excuse for not giving you the bare minimum info you need to solve the game's puzzles. Also, seconding that non-changing cursor. That's just...annoying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really like what I've played thus far. It feels very much like the lost sequel to The Neverhood (which I don't feel Skullmonkeys really was). They really understood what made the original so interesting and bizarre. I was actually worried that some of that was an accident or a product of its time, but no, this feels very similar.

The real issue, as others have noted, is the low quality assets. OK, it's a huge jump over the original, but I expected better. You have these amazing clay models and the backgrounds and video are compressed to hell. Why not upload super sharp 4k quality assets (or at least give us the option)? It would look so good that way.

As a result, I started looking at gamepad support only to find that it...kind of works but not really. I'd like gamepad support only because the game looks much better sitting at a distance while playing on a TV. Of course, the mouse cursor is just the standard windows cursor which feels...weird.

Outside of those issues, though, it seems really cool thus far.

And so does this! Despite having most of The Neverhood memorized, I still need a notebook for a few puzzles. Glad to see that trend will continue.
Yeah. As frustrating as it might be sometimes, I'm glad they made it this way. It needs to be difficult, esoteric, and weird.

Sorry, this cursor is garbage. And no inventory so I don't even know what I've picked up. So you click on everything in every room with no context as to what is interactable, pick up some nondescript object that may now make something work but there's absolutely no way to discern that before hand. So I don't know if I missed clicking an object somewhere because there is no feedback.
And reloading your game is under options? This got beta tested?

First time I loaded it up it was like I was transported back to the 90s playing Neverhood again, but in HD! Enjoying it so far but yeah cursor sucks don't know why they didn't clay-ify that. Biggest letdown is no room-by-room Terry S Taylor skat styled tracks, maybe they're there later but the more ambient one track choral thing going on in the beginning is NOT the Neverhood Terry I remember. Admittedly the dude has a huge catalog of experimental music as is so guess he or Tenapel wanted a different direction there.

Dsyndrome

Is the game as buggy as Steam comments are making it out to be? Looking to start this, but if it's too rough-shod, I can wait a little bit and go through some more backlog. 90's video compression doesn't bug me.

Stuff seems fine so far, cut scene audio sounds like it came from Symphony of the Night opening scene without the bad acting, ie not great.

Top Bottom