• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

MrHoot

Well then

Time for the horrors of time and space to lurk out again

GaNpWws.png

Blader

My first new season thread with GAF! I finally caught up a few months ago, so this is the first season where I can't binge watch. =(

Capaldi is probably my 2nd favorite doctor so far, so I can't wait to see where this season goes. I hope Clara and Pink are gone by the mid-point. I don't mind Clara, but Pink is the worst Companion's SO so far.

But Danny's already dead?

Dryk

All the titles are good, but The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar have been and continue to be fantastic. The only problem is they may not end up being that reflective of the plot, but that remains to be seen. Also my money is on Doctor/Clara, Missy/Clara for the references though only the last half of the second one is really up in the air.

All the titles are good, but The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar have been and continue to be fantastic. The only problem is they may not end up being that reflective of the plot, but that remains to be seen. Also my money is on Doctor/Clara, Missy/Clara for the references though only the last half of the second one is really up in the air.
My money's still on
Doctor/Davros and Missy/Clara
, myself.

Boem

I wouldn't mind if Missy ditched the Victorian outfit occasionally.

The show's a little too obsessed with that era, to be honest.

It's pretty much the same reason why most of the episodes tend to take place in present day earth or Victorian london - it's comparatively cheap for the BBC to make those episodes look good. They have a vast library of Victorian costumes/props from other productions that they can use - although something like Missy's costume is obviously newly made. There's also the link with the classic show, where the most well-remembered Doctors all had this semi-Victorian look as well.

It's interesting though that Capaldi recently mentioned that he wanted to move away from that Victorian theme, and that he pushed to go back to the early 60s scifi-vibe (think first Tardis). He was talking about his own outfit, as well as how the Tardis looked (which already changed considerably in Smith's last series, and apparently they messed with the lighting a bit this series to make it feel a bit different again).

It seems Missy hasn't changed though, but I don't expect her to be present at all beyond the opening story (or perhaps the finale as well, but we'll see).

I get it, tradition plus budget.

Still, I was just watching some classic Who without a hint of of Victorian anything and it was refreshing. (The Caves of Adronazi.)

Symphonic

Spoilers for The Girl Who Died

because this is the day when the Doctor remembers where he’s seen his own face before

Interesting...

Oh man and the synopsis for Sleep No More sounds awesome

Woo! All aboard hype train. That last season was an incoherent mess of what felt like Doctor Who fanfic with how amateurish the writing was. I'm ready for this season to swoop and erase those bad memories.

And I hope we get Clara until at least the end of the season. I really like her with Capaldi, but we didn't get enough of just those two last season without Mr. Pink sticking his nose in their bidness!

Boem

Time to put your WiiU away Mario Maker fans, the BBC just released the Doctor Who Game Maker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/26Y2fJtHFZ2wWp397SHttGM/doctor-who-game-maker

I don't have the time to fully explore it now, but as far as I can tell it's just a tool for making simple platform games. It looks fairly well made for a free BBC thing aimed at young children, but don't expect too much (
nobody did
). Strax voices the tutorial.

This is a part of that BBC initiative to get kids familiar with the basics (very basic basics) of programming, and it's pretty cool in that respect. That Dalek and the Doctor game was as well, but I never checked that out. I don't think most people here will get anything out of it though.

Maddocks

Going to miss her because I like her character and all, but it is time to move on for her and get a new one, but who can replace her?

Bluth54

Not exactly surprising she would leave after 3 years. I did like the way her character interacted with Capaldi's Doctor so she will be missed but I look forward to the new companion.

Fireblend

Banned
It's nice to get confirmation this is her last season. She's been great these past years, specially last season, but it's time for some rotation to happen.

Jenna is good and I never disliked Clara but I was never crazy about her either. Warmed up to her near the end of the 11th Doctor's run but then 12 hit and that was gone, chemistry was all different and not for the better. She's been around for a while, glad to see her go (but not maliciously). I'm ready for something new, perhaps someone that shines brighter with the 12th Doctor and has better chemistry. They dont clash (except when intentionally) but they dont jive either. Would not argue with it if she left mid-season like she arrived.

Should have left at the natural heartbreaking point at the end of last season, before Christmas. Her sudden return, and second exit fakeout, felt pretty cheap. Third time's the charm, I guess.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Jenna herself is a fine actress, but to the character, good riddance.

Have another go at writing a companion, Moffat, you might get it right this time.

People probably should've figured Jenna was gone the moment Alex Kingston was announced as the guest for Christmas - she's an easy already-established companion surrogate between series'.

Blader

People probably should've figured Jenna was gone the moment Alex Kingston was announced as the guest for Christmas - she's an easy already-established companion surrogate between series'.

That, and for some reason I assumed Clara would go after getting in 2.5 years like Amy even though that's probably not Moffat's decision anyway.

I hope they gave her a lot of good material this year, because it's gonna have to be really good to make up for the fact her character's best exit points got botched TWICE last year. (Kill the Moon, Christmas Special)

Vibranium

Banned
Capaldi is so awesome, I love his sunglasses and poses.

As for Clara, I hope we get a good send-off. I want Missy to be the next companion, personally. It would be lots of fun for one series. Peter and Michelle have great chemistry.

Dryk

Should have left at the natural heartbreaking point at the end of last season, before Christmas. Her sudden return, and second exit fakeout, felt pretty cheap. Third time's the charm, I guess.
Either of those out's would've been fine by me but I liked the Time of the Doctor symmetry of the Christmas one.

As for Clara, I hope we get a good send-off. I want Missy to be the next companion, personally. It would be lots of fun for one series. Peter and Michelle have great chemistry.
I know I've said this a few times but Missy:

- Knows where Gallifrey is
- Is the Doctor's friend who he does like having around on some level

I would like to see them explore how the Doctor balances saving the world and trying to keep her in check, and how people react to the guy who is trying to save them while hanging around with the woman who just murdered their friend for kicks... for at least a few episodes anyway.

Never loved Clara's storyline last season, but thought Jenna's chemistry with Capaldi was smashing. Very glad we get a (full?) season of them running around together.

I did quite like the impossible girl story, though, even as nonsensical as the very last moments of it were.

Happy for Coleman though!
(As long as the Victorian miniseries deals with the events at the Torchwood estate)

Mariolee

You guys, what if Queen Victoria is actually another Clara echo and this miniseries is actually Series 10 of Doctor Who?

Moffat you've done it again!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Saw the two finale episodes at the theater last night. Pretty awesome since I haven't seen them since they aired.
Also they showed an "intro" to series 9 with the Doctor in a medieval setting, then followed with an interview with Capaldi and Coleman. Was great.

Also they dropped a few hints about season 9 including to re-think what you know about regeneration, and to brush up on Dalek history.
My Maisie Williams theory:
She is playing the Doctor's clone daughter, regenerated.
Started by my fiancee last night. It makes some sense.

They also noted that this season would have a lot less of Earth, as Clara is throwing herself into her travels on the TARDIS. Good news there.

Fireblend

Banned
Also they showed an "intro" to series 9 with the Doctor in a medieval setting, then followed with an interview with Capaldi and Coleman. Was great..

How long was it? Mind sharing more about it? I tried looking for a reddit post with a lengthier description or something but found nothing.

Mindwipe

It's pretty much the same reason why most of the episodes tend to take place in present day earth or Victorian london - it's comparatively cheap for the BBC to make those episodes look good. They have a vast library of Victorian costumes/props from other productions that they can use - although something like Missy's costume is obviously newly made. There's also the link with the classic show, where the most well-remembered Doctors all had this semi-Victorian look as well.

The BBC sold all that stuff off years ago. They don't have a costume library any more, they just rent in external ones same as any other production.

Shiggy

Where best to watch the episodes when you are not in the US or UK? It's gonna take ages before the season makes it over...

Magwik

Banned
How long was it? Mind sharing more about it? I tried looking for a reddit post with a lengthier description or something but found nothing.
Pretty much the Doctor is attempting to mediate to go and see "an old friend who he wronged" (or something close to that) and he keeps distracting himself and putting it off to bide his time. When the guy whose name I forgot gets tired of his shit, he asks what he's afraid of, and the Doctor says something along the lines of "I'm going to the last battlefield I'll ever enter"
It's more on the comedy side and lasts a couple of minutes (less than ten) but someone feel free to correct me cause my memory isn't all that great with it

I liked Clara but the last season managed to fumble her conflicts with 12 (which is where her character shone the brightest) in the end, and with that out of the way her character doesn't have much point. It's for the best.

Shiggy

I buy a season pass off iTunes and watch it the day it comes out.

Is it out on iTunes worldwide or is it more of the shitty region locking? Annoyed that the BBC has already blocked The Doctor's Meditation on Youtube before I could watch it.

Kurdel

Banned
Is it out on iTunes worldwide or is it more of the shitty region locking? Annoyed that the BBC has already blocked The Doctor's Meditation on Youtube before I could watch it.

Here in Canada the new season 8 episode was available at midnight sunday the every week. It also comes with a ton of extras, so the Doctor's Meditation will be on there for sure. It's not there right now, but I am hoping they make it available before sunday night.

Shiggy

Here in Canada the new season 8 episode was available at midnight sunday the every week. It also comes with a ton of extras, so the Doctor's Meditation will be on there for sure. It's not there right now, but I am hoping they make it available before sunday night.

Watched the other seasons on Netflix and here in Sweden it took a long time for them to get season 8 up, perhaps due to adding subtitles.

So is the easiest way Hola + BBC iPlayer?

Top Bottom