• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sick of the human race...

Tenebrous

Regardless of the odds, the human race is almost certainly going to come out victorious. We're resourceful, expanding at a rapid rate, and have a thirst for knowledge that supposedly outranks every other species in the universe. When the universe needs saving, it's a human that's going to do it, even when other species are far more advanced than ourselves. When the endtimes are near, the final battle will of course be on/near our little planet, despite other planets being far more lucrative targets for any threats.

(Yes, I'm thinking mainly about Mass Effect here, but it's by no means the only culprit).

Why do humans always have to fucking win? Why is our potential always beyond that of other species? Why do we constantly find a way to best opponents we have no real chance of doing so? Are we really such a simple audience that we can't enjoy playing the other guys for once?

I know this is a problem in fiction that goes far beyond our little hobby, however. The most ridiculous example I can think of is from Star Trek: TNG... The Q continuum are fearful of our progress and where it can inevitably lead us? Yeah, alright then. Such bollocks.

What (serious) games out there go against this need to paint us as the almighty leaders of the planet/universe? I know things go south in the XCOM games, but you just know if they ever decide to wrap up the series that the humans will just about survive against all odds, only to have to rebuild and zzzzz... So boring. So tired.

Hell, what great works of fantasy fiction result in the hero/humans failing totally at the last second? I'd love a good book recommendation, too.

I wouldn't mind fiction where humans were just a small player in a big world. Mass Effect had to ruin it with making them the saviors of the galaxy.

As to fiction/games where humanity lost, well you're gonna have to dig deep as something that depressing isn't likely to be common unless it's a "He's the last of his kind" story where that shit happened in the past.

Banned
I noticed this too. The humans always win. I'd like to see a story where humans are the occupiers or threat and you play the alien beating the humans.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The OP is indoctrinated

chugen

We're resourceful, expanding at a rapid rate, and have a thirst for knowledge that supposedly outranks every other species in the universe. When the universe needs saving, it's a human that's going to do it, even when other species are far more advanced than ourselves.

i have an human boner now, thanks

Dominator

Who makes these games?

Humans.

These other species don't exists so the stakes have to mean something to the player, so it always comes back home, usually.

Henkka

Banned
Destroy_All_Humans_box_art_for_the_PlayStation_2.jpg

Lime

Consumers prefer to be coddled and told everything is all right and that they're good people (especially human beings). This is why you see so many power fantasy games where everything is perfect and everyone worships you (especially Bioware games). Companies who want to make a return on their investment want to earn the most money, so they go with the most comfortable route that will make their potential customers happy and content with the status quo.

If you want more critical games and media, I would suggest for you to look towards the less profit-driven developers and entertainment. Check out stuff like Molle Industria as an example.

MrBadger

Kid Icarus Uprising does delve a bit into the question of what makes humans so special. I don't think the game really gives a satisfying answer, actually. Kinda easy to see things from the genocidal loli's point of view

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The Expanse book series, especially Leviathan Wakes.

First post nails it.

Anyway, re: your Star Trek complaint. DS9 makes up for TNG's human worship. (Which isn't even so bad after the second season or so anyway.) Also, if I ever manage to crank out my book series, expect a metric effton of space operatic human failure.

EDIT:
also you should watch Deep Space Nine if you want Trek where it isn't just about humans

<3

androvsky

Well, once the Hanar get off their lazy asses (assuming they have asses) and make a video game we can expect some better non-human representation. Blasto 3: The Game ain't making itself.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
because we're all humans, unless there's something you want to tell us

why you hate humans so much?

also you should watch Deep Space Nine if you want Trek where it isn't just about humans

gaiages

Banned
Because humanity coming together (regardless of race, gender, etc.) and defeating a greater threat is a universal fantasy/sci-fi plot point that resonates wonderfully with most readers as it shows that humans can be versatile, adapting, and a force to be reckoned with even in the hardest of times?

It makes people feel good about themselves.

Maybe we already killed this planet with our climate gases and it just needs some time for the weather to kill us. So relax and enjoy the show.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Because humanity coming together (regardless of race, gender, etc.) and defeating a greater threat is a universal fantasy/sci-fi plot point that resonates wonderfully with most readers as it shows that humans can be versatile, adapting, and a force to be reckoned with even in the hardest of times?

Indeed.

Even my aforementioned books, should they ever come to pass, will -- spoilers! -- conclude somewhat similarly. The darker the night, the brighter the dawn. And so forth.

Tenebrous

That's why i never play as humans in MMO's

Chances are you kinda do. World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy... Everyone still has two legs, two arms, a head and a pair of eyes. It's pretty damn boring.

because we're all humans, unless there's something you want to tell us

why you hate humans so much?

I don't hate humans. I just hate how we're always represented in games involving other species, and I'd love an alternative that isn't jokey & playful like "Kill All Humans" or "Mutant Blobs Attack" (that's a good game, by the way).

It is a great basis for a plot, but it's also boring when you know the outcome to every game involving another species/planet.

I always thought a game where you started off as human only to be revealed that you actually weren't halfway through and the humanity was the enemy would be fun.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I do tend to favor more monstrous and bestial races myself. It is a curious question that humans or rather hominids(and even then most monsters and beasts are hominids themselves or just bipedal in nature). Kind of why I prefer playing as the monster instead of the human. To be something I am not.

I think the most common answer why humans are always at the forefront in fictious works is that humans like to glorify themselves and make their perceived characters larger then life performing miraculous feats most either could not or would not attempt.

emag

The Expanse book series, especially Leviathan Wakes.

How is LW so different from Mass Effect? The protomolecule plot is very much in line with the Reaper threat. Are you not counting the human colonists (Martians, Belters) as human?

Krejlooc

Banned
I noticed this too. The humans always win. I'd like to see a story where humans are the occupiers or threat and you play the alien beating the humans.

You enslave humanity for a bit in Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future.

And humans aren't present in Ecco 1 or Ecco 2, having already conceded the planet to Dolphins and knowing full well they can't repel the alien invasion.

I know right? I was totally rooting for the reapers, if it wasn't for the meddling humans they totally would've obliterated everything and gotten away with it.

The Illusive man was right, Humans are the superior species in the Galaxy, and most likely the Universe. Anyone that says otherwise is some extraterrestrial shill.

Shauni

Yeah, I remember my nihilism stage too, OP. Then I fucked a goth chick, got it out of my system. It'll pass.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This just solidifies humanity as arrogant jerks.

If space travel were feasible and there was indeed other life out there and we had people like this we'd have to start a #notallhumans campaign

Top Bottom