• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone remember that Donkey Kong TV show?

shoplifter

Does it make me old that I assumed OP was talking about

title1.JPG

MrBadger

I love how they only hired DK's voice actor for his singing voice... And then hired only DK's voice actor for his singing voice. So you have a big damn gorilla with a sweet, milky singing voice, but all the other characters just have basic cartoon voices, even when they're trying to sing.

My friends and I also loved to get together and play "Find the animation error" every time we got together and subjected ourselves to this trainwreck. Like, we knew it was awful, but we enjoyed how appalling it was somewhat. So imagine this...

giphy.gif

But with a slight grin. I dunno. This show is a classic in the same way that The Room is a classic. It'll forever hold a place in my heart.

My favourite thing to look out for was DK's teeth. Sometimes he has teeth, sometimes he doesn't, sometimes you see them physically grow through his gums

I used to love this show. Then they posted all the episodes on YouTube and now I can't believe I sat through any of it. I thought I had great taste as a kid. :(

GameMarked

Neo Member
I remember watching it on Saturday mornings. I didn't like or dislike it though. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but if I happened to see that it was on I would watch it.

User1608

Banned
I really enjoyed it growing up. Always looked forward to it despite how silly it was as a production. DK fan for life, heh. Songs were actually decent though!

-shadow-

I remember having a VHS of this show in Dutch. The series in English is already bad enough, but those rap songs translated are an even more glorious disaster. Really should dig out the tape just for a good laugh...

Zubz

Banned
DK had a job? Wtf

Yup. And his incompetent boss kept trying to seduce his girlfriend, who was also his co-worker.

I'd want to say that was the weirdest part, but they only produced barrels, and outside of Funky's Flights, there seemed to be no other businesses on their island. So the 3 of them (Which constitute almost half of the island's Kong population) all work in a barrel factory despite not shipping the barrels anywhere or having any place to spend money on outside of an airport.

And for some reason, K. Rool was still hellbent on dominating that island; he always said he wanted to take over Congo Bongo Island, not the whole world. It should also be noted that he had an army, as well as connections with pirates, against 7 apes.

DarkTom

Yes it was very popular in France. Almost everyone from my age, girls and boys, gamers or not, know about it here.

Ramune

It was a France-Canada collaboration.

More apparent when you factor in these two "original" characters

France = Bluster Kong
Canada = Eddie the Yeti

Yup. And his incompetent boss kept trying to seduce his girlfriend, who was also his co-worker.

I'd want to say that was the weirdest part, but they only produced barrels, and outside of Funky's Flights, there seemed to be no other businesses on their island. So the 3 of them (Which constitute almost half of the island's Kong population) all work in a barrel factory despite not shipping the barrels anywhere or having any place to spend money on outside of an airport.

And for some reason, K. Rool was still hellbent on dominating that island; he always said he wanted to take over Congo Bongo Island, not the whole world. It should also be noted that he had an army, as well as connections with pirates, against 7 apes.

Yeah, never sat well with the whole Candy is the only one that has to work, yet the factory itself has no use, but it was a cartoon for kids, so maybe I just looked too much into it.

Joeku

They didn't? I think it was outsourced to some company in France, of all countries.

And Canada. Well, Mainframe Entertainment in Canada pioneered of 90s CG kids shows:

Shadow Raiders AKA War Planets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-9bHhuDUg

Beast Wars AKA Beasties
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FKpU0pnne8

And the GOAT, ReBoot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrKYETorM8

Now they're named Rainmaker Entertainment and they mostly make Barbie movies while these Reboot reboots never seem to go anywhere. So...there's that.

Top Bottom