• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beginner's Guide (by Stanley Parable creator) announced, releases on October 1st

Zomba13

I've bought it, downloaded it but not played yet. I want to grind this quest out on Destiny first, then have a shower THEN I'll dig into this. The trailer intrigues me and I absolutely loved The Stanley Parable so I don't feel bad at all throwing more money in the direction of the devs.

PSqueak

Banned
This time with Gameplay?

I don't think The Stanley Parable ever advertised itself as anything other than a choose your own adventure book in videogame form, it's actually why i liked it, i think trying to attack it on this ground is dumb, because it never tried to trick you like other so called "non-games".

It's going to be really difficult for me to

a) get through the work day when I know this is waiting for me

b) avoid reading about it in the meantime

arrrrgh

Peff

That was quite interesting, for sure. It's probably the least accessible "walking simulator", though, if you're averse to them I'd probably steer clear.

That final ascent was really well executed

GavinUK86

uavDsYg.png

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-the-beginners-guide-review

Apparently it's amazing.

I....hmmm...that was...

I don't really know but I do know I feel like
shit? Sad? Depressed? Confused?Is/was Coda real? Is the story true?

sinxtanx

Wow

GIGAKRAKEN SPOILER WARNING DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU FINISHED THE GAME
I managed to figure out Coda's feelings when I got to the "Door that can only be opened from the other side" in the tower. And damn, it really is one of the worst things you can do to an artist, to self-appropriate their work to feel better about yourself. Narrator character is a real dick.

stufte

Just finished it, it's just about an hour and a half long. I personally loved it, it was a wonderful story and the narration was wonderfully done. It made me feel feelings.

Ok, wow. Now I get why developers have been fawning over this. It's brilliant.

It's like a found code game, a playable documentary of short projects. And within it, lies issues of
self-confidence, validation, creative and personal frustrations, loneliness, and selfishness
. Great personal drama.

CQQmdw7WgAAPcdS.jpg

CQQmdfdW8AEFqaI.jpg

CQQmdYUWIAA-QLe.jpg

I love that there's no community hub for this game. There shouldn't be. People shouldn't be saying shit about this for another week or so. Let everyone go into this fresh.

I played through it on a stream and immediately regretted it. I don't think anyone should watch someone play this, it should be experienced for themselves.

venomenon

Wow. Could relate to this on several levels. Damn.

Good decision to trust the general feedback and go into this completely unspoiled.

The game really kind of hit me. I think this will stay with me in an uneasy sort of way for a while.

Fucking spoiler dont click:

is coda real? It just makes me fucking sad that the relationship was incredibly one-sided and ultimately ended in such a complete and heartshattering break-up. In the spirit of "everything is an analogy" coda could just be how davey feels about himself and his own creative drive.

Zomba13

Just finished it. I won't say much and nothing spoilery (even in spoilers) because I don't feel people should even be tempted with spoilers.

I very much liked this and it makes me think and feel stuff about myself and about other people. It was very much "not a game" and that is perfectly ok. If you want another kooky, funny, weird Stanley Parable choose your own adventure this isn't it. This is more about a story being told via interactive media than player agency.

That... It was so raw it hurt. I'm not even sure if
Coda was real, in an 'exit through the giftshop' kind of way. Plus the fact him charging for (partly) someone else's work would really be completely ridiculous after what happened.
Maybe it was a conversation with himself- the part of him that can make these weird games, versus the emotional side who wants to actually understand what the hell he's doing. And then when he showed these projects to other people, if fulfilled his need for validation, yet his creative side still wasn't satisfied. I don't know. Maybe I want this to be the truth so the guy isn't punishing himself for losing a friend and idol...

I'm so impressed Wreden managed to put out something so honest, and it struck a more than a few chords with me. I could get used to more experiences like this...

That... It was so raw it hurt. I'm not even sure if
Coda was real, in an 'exit through the giftshop' kind of way. Plus the fact him charging for (partly) someone else's work would really be completely ridiculous after what happened.
Maybe it was a conversation with himself- the part of him that can make these weird games, versus the emotional side who wants to actually understand what the hell he's doing. And then when he showed these projects to other people, if fulfilled his need for validation, yet his creative side still wasn't satisfied. I don't know. Maybe I want this to be the truth so the guy isn't punishing himself for losing a friend and idol...

I'm so impressed Wreden managed to put out something so honest, and it struck a more than a few chords with me. I could get used to more experiences like this...

The more I think about it, the more I want it to be what you said (Coda not being real). Cause yeah, I was thinking while playing it that it is kind of shitty to charge for this guys work.

Man, I really don't know what to think after playing this. I need more games/experiences like this. Its refreshing not knowing how to feel after playing a game for once.

Woffls

Finished a few minutes ago... from the 'comments' onwards was hitting me pretty hard.

As a general rule, just don't read any spoilers until you've played the whole game... and given yourself some time to reflect.

***ACTUAL SPOILERS***
My current thinking is that Coda (absolutely not real, or virtually real) was a part of Davey's personality that he thought was holding him back from integrating with the world as a 'perfect' (read: normal) person.

He tried to drag it out of himself and show the world so that side of him could be validated, and he could reconcile a part of him that he considers a failure and thus be a 'perfect' person.

But the games weren't for anyone else - nobody was supposed to see them. He might not have known it at the time, but he was making the games to collect his thoughts and reflect (door gap, maze floating etc) on his mind.

So, after Davey showed his games to the world, he felt like he betrayed their purpose, and himself. He couldn't accept part of who he was, so how could anyone else? At this point he shut himself off again, leaving his troubles unresolved, and unable to reconnect with the creative outlet that at least kept him sane, even if it didn't make him happy.

That's my interpretation after one play-through and only a few minutes reflection before I forget everything. Probably got the wrong idea entirely and forgot stuff. Interested to read thoughts of others.

ymgve

So, how many of you (early-game, like chapter 2 or 3?)
walked up the stairs without pressing "enter" just to see if something would happen?

Top Bottom