• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beginner's Guide (by Stanley Parable creator) announced, releases on October 1st

Pavaloo

God I've been through that starting speech on the white screen about six or seven times now and I'm already sick of it lol. Frustrated because for some reason when I am at the first walkable area to look around the view keeps pointing upwards as if the mouse or joystick were stuck (neither are). Can't seem to fix this which is a bummer since I loved Stanely Parable. Will continue to troubleshoot I guess.

edit: success! Got it to work! Liking what I'm seeing thus far

Welp, I almost feel like a bad guy after seeing all the positive reactions in here, but this game did absolutely nothing for me. The beginning was pretty good and got me interested enough to make me play through it in one sitting, but then it just turned into a rather (in my eyes) generic
depression
story with a very predictable plot twist. Of course this subject isn't really relatable to me personally nor does it hit close to home, so it's to be expected I wouldn't be as invested in it as others might be. That said, I'm usually a lot more invested in these type of stories, but this just fell totally flat for me at the end. One of the few times I actually felt like I wasted my time on something, the story just feels too fabricated and 'done before' for my liking.

That said, I still wanna give my respect to the dev. It's certainly is a unique experience for a game and I appreciate the uniqueness in what he tries to deliver with his games. I wish I didn't hate this game but I can certainly see why others would like it. Keep up the good work.

I would have been in agreement with you except for the late revelation that Coda was never depressed, all of it was a narrative Davey was imposing upon his work. It's more about critical analysis and fan interpretation than anything directly about depression. I honestly feel the game game had WAY more to say than I thought it did at first.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else having a problem getting the game to run? I purchased the game from Steam and it gives a black screen before crashing to desktop. I have a capable 2012 era PC and cannot remember the last time I've experienced this, lol. I don't know what to do.

This has got to be the most intimate game experience I've ever played in my life. Using the visual medium was so powerful, you are essentially viewing the narrative idea in the most literal sense.

Welp, I almost feel like a bad guy after seeing all the positive reactions in here, but this game did absolutely nothing for me. The beginning was pretty good and got me interested enough to make me play through it in one sitting, but then it just turned into a rather (in my eyes) generic
depression
story with a very predictable plot twist.
Of course this subject isn't really relatable to me personally nor does it hit close to home, so it's to be expected I wouldn't be as invested in it as others might be. That said, I'm usually a lot more invested in these type of stories, but this just fell totally flat for me at the end. One of the few times I actually felt like I wasted my time on something, the story just feels too fabricated and 'done before' for my liking.

That said, I still wanna give my respect to the dev. It's certainly is a unique experience for a game and I appreciate the uniqueness in what he tries to deliver with his games. I wish I didn't hate this game but I can certainly see why others would like it. Keep up the good work.

What plot twist? This doesn't resemble a specific form of narrative. It's just a self-reflected personal experience narrated throughout by the developer.

I looked up the definition for the word
Coda
:

Meriam Webster: "a concluding part of a literary or dramatic work"

I'm having a hard time articulating why I feel that's the meaning of the name. That Coda represents a period of his introspective discovery, and this game is him apologizing to that old part of himself, and coming to terms with it?

I looked up the definition for the word
Coda
:

Meriam Webster: "a concluding part of a literary or dramatic work"

I'm having a hard time articulating why I feel that's the meaning of the name. That Coda represents a period of his introspective discovery, and this game is him apologizing to that old part of himself, and coming to terms with it?

Works on another level too: Coda's were put in every one of his games, in the form of the door puzzle.

I hope Davey gets the catharsis he needs from this so he can move on with whatever project he wants. Or at the very least be able to accept himself

It was an interesting experiment for sure. Did not feel like my money or my time was wasted.

One chapter in particular I related to like crazy because I sometimes feel extremely inadequate at school while thinking everyone else around me has the material figured out (though it's just as likely they're putting up the same front I am). There is no catharsis in this game for me because it just wallows deeper, but I gather this was probably mad therapeutic for the creator.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Had it's moments, and I feel the project as a whole is a combined statement of
Davey Wreden speaking to his own creative will and self imposed expectations versus his perception fan digestion of his work and how the two positions relate. It's internalised frustrations while subverting the person "playing" and the expectations they have".

And that in turns makes it an
interesting foray into Wreden's psyche as he tries to say the things he wants to say through the medium he is most familiar with, the language he understands, that also seems to be escaping him
, but eh. The way it came together was a bit lost on me and to be perfectly honest I don't really feel anything poignant. So whatever. Is what it is.

stufte

So after you beat the game you can turn off the Narration in the Audio options. When you play through it, Davey won't manipulate the game for you any more and you can play the segments as Coda had intended.
So far it doesn't skip you ahead in the whisper machine labrynth and it floats you up in the first jump into the whisper machine. You also can't press enter to go quickly up the stairs and the walls aren't removed from the room in the next game. I'm currently waiting for an hour in the prison.
I'm curious to see how this plays out...

This makes a lot more sense when you read about how Davey Wreden struggled with the attention and success of Stanley Parable.

"Game of the Year" - Davey Wreden

Even if you are not successful and your work is seen by 4/5 friends, that's still a true and constant fear. I hosted an online game on a forum and I get people wanting a sequel all the time - I can see that people liked it, I can see that it was fun, but the standards are now higher, the obligation to spend more time on it appears, to always get to a higher level. If I get into a period of no free time I get complaints and posts seeking for explanations. I can definitely be glad that people liked it, but it's still something that doesn't sit definitely right/

It's truly some scary shit that you really have to come to terms to it because it seems like it's never going to go away and why looking back on some of the art stuff I put down for delays with no explanation, or just some odd behaviour of the person makes me feel really ashamed once I got to experience it to a smaller scale.

Will probably play the game again in light of reading this. Great experiment and I echo the sentiment that this is better than Stanley. Excellent musical score as well.

Sorian

Banned
So after you beat the game you can turn off the Narration in the Audio options. When you play through it, Davey won't manipulate the game for you any more and you can play the segments as Coda had intended.
So far it doesn't skip you ahead in the whisper machine labrynth and it floats you up in the first jump into the whisper machine. You also can't press enter to go quickly up the stairs and the walls aren't removed from the room in the next game. I'm currently waiting for an hour in the prison.
I'm curious to see how this plays out...

Good luck in the
invisible labyrinth
and then of course
I'd assume you'll just be stuck at the door with the switch on the other side.

Haunted

For those with crash issues at the start, try adding -sw to the executable's launch options in Steam, that fixed it for me (it starts the game in windowed mode, you can revert to fullscreen or borderless window in the options).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My take.
The game is being ironic about trying to find deeper meanings in art, and warping the it to fit a narrative. It is implied in a number of spots near in the last chapter the game's narrator made changes to the supposed originals. I believe the entire account is fictional.

If Coda isn't real then how would you guys explain the "For R" in the credits?

A dedication doesn't have to be to a person upon whom a work is based, and even if R provided some inspiration, that doesn't mean that this is anywhere near an accurate account of actual events. Coda might be very grounded in R, or not at all related. It is appropriately vague, though to make one think about the implications.

This'll give me something to do while I finish my 5 year wait for that Stanley Parable cheevo.

You and me both.

Bzbgix2.png

That's ninety minutes down, just one thousand four hundred thirty two days five hours fifty four minutes and twenty six seconds to go.

I don't know why I'm so rigid about attaining this one legitimately.

Stanley Parable Spoilers -
I already cheated for the one that required it of me. Which was, I believe, unintended.

The Beginner's Guide Spoilers -
Rather more like Davey's shortcuts through Coda's impossible or nigh-impossible problems.

It definitely brings to mind Exit Through the Gift Shop.

It's a singular work.
I certainly found it interesting that Davey trample all over any intended meaning Coda may have had by speculating what things mean before you get a chance in many cases... or in telling you what something means as if that IS the meaning. It certainly makes something like walking through a space ship with a gun a very different experience.

I'd hate to be Davey though at this point. With how much he seems to have struggled over the success of the Stanley Parable, and with this getting high praise too, I hope he already knows what his next game is.

One final spoiler question...

The three dots that appear in many places, and that Davey wonders about. Does anyone have any theories as to what they are about?

Vitor711

Game crashed after an hour when I tried to change the resolution. Corrupted so bad it won't relaunch even with a restart. Redownloading everything now...

EDIT 1: And the game won't launch. At all. Well this is annoying. Windows 10 64bit - everything working fine before. Verifying game cache always comes back with 1/2 files missing but then the game still doesn't launch after they've been replaced.

EDIT 2: Editing launch options in steam to force the game to start in safe mode worked...

EDIT 3: And of course there's no save file because I tried reinstalling the game... I have ZERO urge to play through the first 65 minutes again. Anyone have a save file they can upload to a file sharing site like dropbox or something for me so I can use the chapter select option?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else get some slight
horror
vibes from this game? Or at least
chilled by the game's conclusion
?
The moment when you realize that Davey added all of the lampposts unsettled me, as it was then that I realized how unreliable the narrator is. I wasn't sure where the game was going to go after that.

The three dots that appear in many places, and that Davey wonders about. Does anyone have any theories as to what they are about?

I would guess that they were a symbol (using this term broadly) that had meaning for Coda (e.g., a signature, like Davey made the lamppost; a mental note; a symbol of great personal significance; etc.), but that Davey (and we) will never know. Davey wants to know what it means and get an answer, but as Coda suggests, these games were not made for Davey. It seems likely they were made for Coda, and this is one of those things that Davey struggles to understand: it is not for him to know what the dots mean. He can speculate all he wants, but ultimately, the meaning is Coda's alone. As a player, I would guess the dots are meant to provoke the same questions as you play—what do they mean?—but Davey's breakdown and the confrontation that Coda has with Davey via the concluding wall text (which Coda knows Davey will likely only access by modifying the game) suggests to me that the dots ultimately are a symbol of the unanswerable questions and unquestionable answers that creators present through their work.

I guess my answer boils down to "You're not supposed to know," but maybe I missed the point because I could respond with that to all of the game's ambiguities, which wouldn't be productive.

Honestly this matched up with the article above resonated with me in a personal level. I wouldn't say it's one of the best games I played this year but the experience is definitely worth trying.

horror
?
The moment when you realize that Davey added all of the lampposts unsettled me, as it was then that I realized how unreliable the narrator is. I wasn't sure where the game was going to after that.

Definitely. The musical score certainly helped with that impression.

Game crashed after an hour when I tried to change the resolution. Corrupted so bad it won't relaunch even with a restart. Redownloading everything now...

EDIT 1: And the game won't launch. At all. Well this is annoying. Windows 10 64bit - everything working fine before. Verifying game cache always comes back with 1/2 files missing but then the game still doesn't launch after they've been replaced.

EDIT 2: Editing launch options in steam to force the game to start in safe mode worked...

EDIT 3: And of course there's no save file because I tried reinstalling the game... I have ZERO urge to play through the first 65 minutes again. Anyone have a save file they can upload to a file sharing site like dropbox or something for me so I can use the chapter select option?

I'm a noob regarding Steam (really only began to use it now) so how would I go about doing that?

PaulloDEC

Just finished. I'm not sure I enjoyed it exactly; I'm not sure it's an "enjoyable" kind of game. It certainly made me feel something though. Maybe lots of little somethings, some I'm personally familiar with and others I'm not.

I flip-flopped throughout the game between wondering if Davey and Coda were two aspects of the same person, or if the game was actually from the reverse perspective of who it seemed to be, i.e. we think the narrator is the creator of The Stanley Parable, but actually the game is about that creator, and the narrator is the guy on the outside.

Now I'm just left with loads of questions that I'm sure are going to play on my mind. I guess that's probably a good thing. It was an interesting experience, for sure.

What I got out of it, especially with Davey breaking down and wondering what they meant, is that it was pretty much a whole summation of Coda's style of design and the problem with Davey inserting himself into all Coda's games. Davey was trying to connect the dots he saw when from the beginning they were always separate dots and there were no connections. And so he's making up connections between them to try and see the bigger picture when in reality, they're just three separate dots.

I...don't know if I liked this game. I think I was just too excited for a Stanley Parable - esque game and I think it really ruined the experience for me. When I got to
the top of the tower, I got legitimate chills and a sinking feeling in my stomach but I thought it would lead somewhere and it...didn't. I was pretty much doing what Davey was doing, looking for something when that wasn't what the point of the game was.
Be that as it may though, I think it made me less affected by the work even though at the end I got what was happening and what the whole work was about. I think my emotions were dampened because I was expecting something much different.

Haunted

Just finished. I'm not sure I enjoyed it exactly; I'm not sure it's an "enjoyable" kind of game. It certainly made me feel something though. Maybe lots of little somethings, some I'm personally familiar with and others I'm not.

I flip-flopped throughout the game between wondering if Davey and Coda were two aspects of the same person, or if the game was actually from the reverse perspective of who it seemed to be, i.e. we think the narrator is the creator of The Stanley Parable, but actually the game is about that creator, and the narrator is the guy on the outside.

Now I'm just left with loads of questions that I'm sure are going to play on my mind. I guess that's probably a good thing. It was an interesting experience, for sure.
It's a short story, a personal account of self-reflection, almost therapeutic, maybe cathartic... written out, this thing might have simply appeared as an article on a website somewhere, instead of being a downloadable interactive experience on Steam.

Moving through all of these unfinished and relatively uninspired places is barely "enjoyable" in the traditional sense or - except for very few spots - even all that interesting from a visual standpoint. I kind of thought of these spaces as the functional portraits or landscape shots that would accompany a personal story printed in a magazine.

edit: I think the standout spots from a visual standpoint were
the teacher's perspective in the classroom
, the
revolving door encroaching on the spaceship
and of course, the most powerful of them all, the
final shot of the labyrinth stretching across the horizon

edit²: now that I think about it, there were a couple more good vistas in the game, the
blue corridors scene
and the
lonely house in a sea of white
. That's a good number of interesting places for such a small little thing, I might not have given him enough credit for those.

PaulloDEC

It's a short story, a personal account of self-reflection, almost therapeutic, maybe cathartic... written out, this thing might have simply appeared as an article on a website somewhere, instead of being a downloadable interactive experience on Steam.

I think the way it works as a "game" is one of the most interesting things about it. I daresay most of the people who play it will know they're dealing with the guy who made "The Stanley Parable" before they start, so to what extent we're expected to trust/believe the narrator is always in question.

Moving through all of these unfinished and relatively uninspired places is barely "enjoyable" in the traditional sense or - except for very few spots - even all that interesting from a visual standpoint. I kind of thought of these spaces as the functional portraits or landscape shots that would accompany a personal story printed in a magazine.

I suppose the tediousness of some of the "games" was actually critical, even if it prevented the player from having any fun with them. We're supposed to believe that these things are the work a person
totally uninterested in the playing of his games; he just likes making them
, and nothing else matters.

edit: I think the standout spots from a visual standpoint were
the teacher's perspective in the classroom
, the
revolving door encroaching on the spaceship
and of course, the most powerful of them all, the
final shot of the labyrinth stretching across the horizon

I really liked the first and third of those, though I thought the very first instance of
rising up above the level
was actually really cool too.

Whether
Coda
was a representation of creative process
or a collection of developers assimilated into one entity
, the takeaway here is that he has managed to use the medium as a guide more intimate, more explicit experience than your average dev diary. And that, is the most significant aspect with this title.

I don't think there is a game who used the medium as uniquely as this one. It is literally a game in which hand-holding is the requirement which puts an amazing perspective tone throughout the entire experience that is not only unique in and of itself, it is a gateway for the amazing potential of our medium's capabilities. To put it in a book or movie wouldn't even scratch the near infinite amount of intimacy within the first few chapters of the game.

Vitor711

Honestly this matched up with the article above resonated with me in a personal level. I wouldn't say it's one of the best games I played this year but the experience is definitely worth trying.

Definitely. The musical score certainly helped with that impression.

I'm a noob regarding Steam (really only began to use it now) so how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for offering! I guess you'd have to find out where the save file is stored and then just upload it to a file sharign website, However, I've no idea where the game save is located. Could be in the game folder itself or somewhere in 'My Documents'. it really depends on the game.

Archurro

So Coda is maybe real, according to this podcast?

Which makes sense. A thing that's been bugging me is the idea that Coda is Davey. If this were true, much of the experience feels invalid to me. The game is predicated on honesty and sincerity, so why would Wreden lie to us?

But at this point, I don't think The Beginner's Guide is the work of Coda. It's Wreden's. The core of experience he builds isn't playing through the individual games, but the context behind being in Wreden's headspace as he plays these short games. At this point, I'm not even sure what I feel, but I want to believe that Coda is real.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So Coda is maybe real, according to this podcast?

Which makes sense. A thing that's been bugging me is the idea that Coda is Davey. If this were true, much of the experience feels invalid to me. The game is predicated on honesty and sincerity, so why would Wreden lie to us?

But at this point, I don't think The Beginner's Guide is the work of Coda. It's Wreden's. The core of experience he builds isn't playing through the individual games, but the context behind being in Wreden's headspace as he plays these short games. At this point, I'm not even sure what I feel, but I want to believe that Coda is real.

While it is possible that Coda was, in fact, based on a real person who inspired Davey, I don't think this game was a genuine attempt to reach out and get in touch with said person.

The literary concept Davey is using by establishing Coda as a real person, including dates and locations for where they met, conversations they had, is called 'unreliable narration'. The entire purpose of works using such a voice to project the work is to fool the one consuming the media into believing things were real when they weren't. Davey hinges his entire performance on the idea that you, as the player, will totally buy whatever it is he says.

It is in this honesty and openness that we're pulled by our shirt collars all the way down the path he wants us to follow. If you've read Davey's blog post following the meteoric success of The Stanley Parable's Redux, you'll see all of the telltale signs of things that Coda "suffers" implanted into what Davey weaves into the narrative of each game we play.

The major key which proves that Davey is an unreliable narrator, beyond knowledge of Davey's past, is the Lamp Post prop. "Coda" specifically asks him to stop putting lamp posts everywhere. When the very first one arrives, Davey outright lies and claims that Coda was using these, not him. We can't fully trust his recollection of events because Coda's final act was to show to us that Davey isn't being honest with us. His lines are spoken with such an enthusiastic conviction that we really do think he's telling us the truth the whole time. But he's not.

As an aside, I think everyone would appreciate if you were able to pinpoint where in the podcast they claim Coda to be a real person. It's a short podcast, but not everyone is going to want to sit down for 40 minutes to hear one aspect of the discussion.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
First 10 minutes.

Hmm. Having listened to it,
Laura is taking Davey's word a bit too swiftly, which both she and Mat eventually waffle on a bit. "R" may be a real world person who inspired Davey, but that doesn't mean that they are Coda. We won't know for sure unless this Coda decides to break silence, Davey finally opens up and admits if he's pulling our legs or not (And how would we know? He's already established himself as unreliable), or others who knew either of them are able to corroborate the theory that this is exactly what transpired between Davey and Coda/R.

Archurro

While it is possible that Coda was, in fact, based on a real person who inspired Davey, I don't think this game was a genuine attempt to reach out and get in touch with said person.

The literary concept Davey is using by establishing Coda as a real person, including dates and locations for where they met, conversations they had, is called 'unreliable narration'. The entire purpose of works using such a voice to project the work is to fool the one consuming the media into believing things were real when they weren't. Davey hinges his entire performance on the idea that you, as the player, will totally buy whatever it is he says.

It is in this honesty and openness that we're pulled by our shirt collars all the way down the path he wants us to follow. If you've read Davey's blog post following the meteoric success of The Stanley Parable's Redux, you'll see all of the telltale signs of things that Coda "suffers" implanted into what Davey weaves into the narrative of each game we play.

The major key which proves that Davey is an unreliable narrator, beyond knowledge of Davey's past, is the Lamp Post prop. "Coda" specifically asks him to stop putting lamp posts everywhere. When the very first one arrives, Davey outright lies and claims that Coda was using these, not him. We can't fully trust his recollection of events because Coda's final act was to show to us that Davey isn't being honest with us. His lines are spoken with such an enthusiastic conviction that we really do think he's telling us the truth the whole time. But he's not.

As an aside, I think everyone would appreciate if you were able to pinpoint where in the podcast they claim Coda to be a real person. It's a short podcast, but not everyone is going to want to sit down for 40 minutes to hear one aspect of the discussion.

I've read Wreden's post a while back, but I want to separate that and the game, as while I think his post hits many similar themes to TBG, the main themes about TBG aren't self-reflection, but rather a dialogue through creative work.

I totally agree the thing with the Lamp making Davey an unreliable narriator, but I think that the lamp doesn't invalidates the authenticity of the fact that Davey is in dialogue with someone else, or he is responding to someone, rather than making all of it up.
The lamp shows that Davey has appropiated and altered Coda's work without his/her consent, but I don't think it signifies that all of these experiements are actualy his own work.

I think a crucial theme of the game is the idea of dialogue between designer and player. TBG's twist on it is that the main dialogue of this relationship of designer&player is actually Davey and Coda rather than the actual player and Wreden. The relationship between designer and player is an interesting one in games, as it is one-sided(the designer talks to the player, but the player can't communicate back). Coda communicates to Davey through the individual games. And as Davey plays through Coda's games, Davey actively tries to break this one-sidedness down, which is what ends their relationship.

But in a way, The Beginner's Guide(the whole package itself) is a Davey's shot of replying back to Coda after Coda's last game. Instead of trying to communicate as the player(who is Davey) to the designer(who is Coda) by altering his works, Davey realizes he can flip the relationship and be the designer and talk back to Coda.

The thing is, this interpertation is depedent on the existence of two individuals. I don't think that dialogue makes sense from the perspective of him talking about his pre-2011 self. Maybe this is a metaphor for Wreden's identity, between his self before The Stanley Parable and his self currently, but I just don't think that's the case.

Iksenpets

Banned
I've read Wreden's post a while back, but I want to separate that and the game, as while I think his post hits many similar themes to TBG, the main themes about TBG aren't self-reflection, but rather a dialogue through creative work.

I totally agree the thing with the Lamp making Davey an unreliable narriator, but I think that the lamp doesn't invalidates the authenticity of the fact that Davey is in dialogue with someone else, or he is responding to someone, rather than making all of it up.
The lamp shows that Davey has appropiated and altered Coda's work without his/her consent, but I don't think it signifies that all of these experiements are actualy his own work.

I think a crucial theme of the game is the idea of dialogue between designer and player. TBG's twist on it is that the main dialogue of this relationship of designer&player is actually Davey and Coda rather than the actual player and Wreden. The relationship between designer and player is an interesting one in games, as it is one-sided(the designer talks to the player, but the player can't communicate back). Coda communicates to Davey through the individual games. And as Davey plays through Coda's games, Davey actively tries to break this one-sidedness down, which is what ends their relationship.

But in a way, The Beginner's Guide(the whole package itself) is a Davey's shot of replying back to Coda after Coda's last game. Instead of trying to communicate as the player(who is Davey) to the designer(who is Coda) by altering his works, Davey realizes he can flip the relationship and be the designer and talk back to Coda.

The thing is, this interpertation is depedent on the existence of two individuals. I don't think that dialogue makes sense from the perspective of him talking about his pre-2011 self. Maybe this is a metaphor for Wreden's identity, between his self before The Stanley Parable and his self currently, but I just don't think that's the case.

I just finished it last night, and I think it operates on two levels. On one, it's an allegory about player and creator, and the limits of our ability to ever really understand the purpose behind the creation, if there even was purpose. It's a criticism of our tendency to psychoanalyze people.

On the other hand, there seems to be a deeper element of Davey in conversation with himself, the part of himself that craves external validation versus the part that finds finds his own ability to be creative crumbling under that same pressure to perform, as symbolized by Coda.

What I can't 100% decide on is whether that deeper reading is intended as true, or whether it was put there purposefully to tempt the player into ignoring the lesson of the surface meaning of the game and tricking us into trying to psychoanalyze the creator while playing through a story that's pretty expressly about how you shouldn't do that.

It's like he made this thing that, reading his posts online, seems to confirm pretty neatly to this personal narrative for him if you scratch the surface a bit, except the surface he put on it is a big sign telling to stop trying so hard to scratch surfaces.

Cth

horror
?
The moment when you realize that Davey added all of the lampposts unsettled me, as it was then that I realized how unreliable the narrator is. I wasn't sure where the game was going to go after that.

Well..

Didn't the game specifically say the blue light was all these people asking you to kill yourself to save them? Metaphorically, if the creative process makes him die a little each time inside when he "finishes" a game.. It felt as if he was suicidal, and felt that ultimately the end game for him was to "die" and transcend. In other words, only when he's dead will he ever be at peace from everyone who keeps asking him to die for what they need.

Anyways, I had a question I was hoping someone could provide some feedback on.. (RE: Labyrinth/skipping)

After the first labyrinth where Davey offers to skip you past it.. you can go back into the maze to solve it and he chides you almost for doing so. It's the only point in the game where he does this that I can tell.

I had an idea why he did this but now I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas what it could mean on another level (if that makes sense?)

I'm thinking maybe I was thinking it had something to do with the first time he alters Coda's game and he feels guilty/defensive about doing so.. I dunno. Just seems like an odd choice to do there and nowhere else in the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I loved it. Every second of it.
I had read about Davey's validation issues previously, but I had no idea he was going to represent them in a game. Makes for a very personal work, and makes me wonder about him, specially as he puts his very own email in the first game. I feel compelled to send him a mail, but I don't know what to even tell him. Tell him it touched me and left me thinking for a good while? That might validate him, but he himself acknowledges that it leaves an empty feeling afterwards. To even put The Beginner's Guide in a GOTY list would be ironic as well.

I wasn't really able to see much significance in some things in the game at first, but some of your interpretations have opened my eyes to these little details. Thanks guys.

Vitor711

Asking again for a save file if anyone has the time to upload it - I really don't want to replay the first 60 minutes again.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Played this last night. Neat experience.

I liked it quite a bit, though I think this game's parts are greater than the sum of its whole. The game provided some of the most emotionally affecting moments in recent months but doesn't cohere into a great climax that builds on the wildly disparate foundation that is The Beginners guide. However, I'm not convinced that was the point of the game anyway. It hints at what could be but doesn't execute.

The meta narrative exists to showcase a menagerie of capital "I" indie game concepts. Exploring pace, structure,
anti-player/user design and narrative, in some ways it seems to be a crashcourse in gamedesign. But it's educational asides are more akin to the Nitrite Film Stock sequence in Inglorious Basterds rather than true demonstrations. When it works it works, and it works more than it doesn't.

Some of the segments fall flat while others are particularly affecting. The non-linear contextless structure bound together by
an explicit narration that would be interesting to listen on its own (until the end) creates beautiful moments by juxtaposing
alienating ways of being with warm familarity.

The housecleaning segment was my favorite. Theres a lot more I feel about this game, but I'm gonna have to explore it further. I'm gonna have my girlfriend play it soon so I'll have someone to talk about it with.

Its cool! 8-]

CloudWolf

horror
?

Yeah, I was playing this in the middle of the night and I was often really nervous, like I usually feel when I'm consuming horror media. It started in
the theatre level, when you walk down the corridor and behind you the iron bars are coming down. I don't know why but I felt like I was doing something I shouldn't be doing.

Top Bottom