• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
First name Stuart, last name starts with a G.

So I used to put Stu G. as a quick signature at work, and then it migrated to STUG, and even became official naming for reports I generated at work (It's funny to hear the company VP ask someone else for the monthly "STUG Report" lol).

I am a big guy, my buddy used to call me Stulk, and then one say someone said I was more Juggernaut than Hulk, and Stuggernaut was born.

I still kinda like Stulk though ;)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Various parts of my real name rearranged. Also a homage to Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear.

icaroz

Neo Member
Mine is from Kid Icarus (NES) which was one of my fav games growing up. Started using it as a nick on BBS'es and it's stuck with me ever since.

Skelter

Banned
I'm actually a time traveling bronze dragon. If only I could change my name from Skelter to Chromie.

Some mod wanna do it for me? I was listening to Helter Skelter when I created my GAF account. Nothing special.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Nickname.

My gamertag/PSN name is based off my first and middle name both having a "D" in it, hence Dubb D. Also a nickname too

Persona 4 Arena has a title generator where you can create your own from hundreds of phrases and words. I'm not a creative person, so I hit the random button and it gave me "The Yo Tornado," which I loved and ended up stealing to use for all of my other handles.

E12_Stealth:
i was a young teen when i made a psn account and all my friends had the beginning of their postcodes. It was kind of cool going into lobbys seeing people from my area but i didnt actually know.

Kuro-Law:
Kuro = Black which is cool right?... right?!

Law comes from when i was super into one piece and Trafalgar Law cause hes like the coolest mofo. Now its just stuck and ive used this name for the past few years

Newtype_01:
i got into gundam and Newtype itself just sounds cool.

Newtype Abel:
straight from Gundam again. Abel was randomly generated,it sounded cool so i left it.

Wanted a name for runescape when I was like 10, so I made this. It was fun for a while, but now I'm sick of it since it literally means Gnome Shit. Can't think of a better one, so I'm stuck with it for now. My gamertag is Sordid Plebeian though; but I'm not in love with it. I'll probably change my Gaf name to it if possible.

Rephin

So years back, when emulation was still kind of in its infancy, I had... "acquired" a copy of Secret of Mana for SNES to use on an emulator. Since emulation wasn't perfect at the time, when it came down to entering your character's name, I had a problem: the graphics layer that showed the letters was missing, but I could still see the cursor. So, being a young, easily influenced by cool things lad at the time, I wanted to enter in as much of Sephiroth into the name entry as I could. So I counted each letter out manually, and Secret of Mana had 5 characters for name entry, so I intended to have SEPHI in there. Well, I miscounted the first letter. I entered in REPHI instead, and then I thought that was also cool, so I rolled with it. Later, when creating various other online handles, I added the N to have Rephin.

Later I found out that Rephin is a real name for some people.

Also, years later, I bought a SNES copy of Secret of Mana for my collection and a copy on Wii Virtual Console. Don't judge me...!

Lemonte

Wanted to name my wow character after Liz Lemon from 30 rock but Lemon was taken. So I had to come up with something similar.

Rolanderson is the name of a character me and a friend of mine created to make fun of people in Brazil who create names by taking a name that already exists and adding -erson to the end of it.

Nick

Profile name: it's my real name.
Gamertag: Started out with DR1 back in 2001 on DDRFreak.com, because I loved "Dyanmite Rave" the song, and DR was already taken, so I added the 1. Then I went to "Lvl87Lugia", because I was a huge Pokemon fan, and I was born in 1987. Then it went to iidx-Nick, because I became a Beatmania IIDX fan while playing DDR in the arcades and got bored with it. Now my gamertag is "Scooterology", because Scooter is my nickname, and I thought it sounded boss.

Kriken

Extremely similar to my name, all variations involve either 8 or 9. 8 was the number of my Baseball idol growing up and I graduated in 09

Trace

Banned
Because I thought the name sounded cool.

I usually use MBFtrace because Trace is always taken, MBF stands for Marble Blast Forums.

(I was like 12 gimme a break)

Nintendo's official magazine (aka "Nintendo Rivista Ufficiale") choose mine.
I was really into Darkstalkers games back then so I used Darkstalkers related names everywere. Meanwhile my old hotmail account was like Megaman89@something.com.
One day, Ninendo's magazine was having a Tetris DS contest. The high scorers would have their names on the magazine.
I played tha game for a week straight, got high score and sended a photo to the magazine.
When I bought the magazine with the scores I see mine on 5th rank, but my nickname was wrong. They ignored any of my nicknames and just called me "Megaman89".

From that day I have Megaman related nicknames and such.

Rean

I just wanted a short name that didn't include numbers like my gamertag did. It wasn't inspired by anything though.

My XBL gamertag is 'Raindammit' - I was (and still am) a moderator on a weather forum, so I just used that name. I live in an area that gets bugger all rainfall for 6 months of the year lol.

My PSN name is AussiePSFour - I don't particularly like it - but I am an Australian that has a PS4 lol. I have an Australian account as well (which is Raindammit) but I set up a new US PSN account when our dollar was at parity with the US$ (games were much cheaper compared to AU) and it's still my main account.

I wish Sony would let us change our username....

ExVicis

I don't use my original first internet name, which I made as a kid on Starcraft Battlenet many years ago stupidly.

The Contramundus thing comes from an Anime I saw also and thought I was cool and as a kid I really dug Contra so I keep the name around for somethings. This Ex Vicis thing though came out of my eventually love of Latin phrases that the former name I had gave me.

Comandr

Couple of years ago I had a job at a place where the employees had to generate a alpha-only username and password for the POS. The limit for the username was 5 characters. My name is Andrew, so.. ANDRE seemed like an obvious choice. But that was already taken by a guy actually named Andre. So.. ANDR. When I got promoted to management the GM started calling me COMANDR. So it just kinda stuck.

iBlue

My neogaf name is iBlue becuase of apple products i guess... but my real gamer name in every platform is Deap92x which is composed of the initials of my full name.

gelf

Its short for Genetically Engineered Life Form. A reference from the comedy series Red Dwarf were no aliens exist and any biological lifeforms they encounter are human made GELFs.

Any other tags I use are lazy and still based off my old school nickname.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I watched 3 episodes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

batbeg

Batbeg = Batman Begins,...and the battle begun, two of my favorite forms of media
MyNameIsJake = truth
Mynameisntjeff = also truth
jakenbakin = I like weed

wtshaolin

Banned
GT is Havoc Style. It comes from the scene in Havoc where old girl takes it from 2 gangbangers. I like to bring it Havoc Style.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
"Ryuhza", my usual handle, was just something I put together some 7 years ago, without actually considering how Japanese it sounded. Kind of silly now, but whatever.

"Creaking" comes from the first boss of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, "Creaking Skull". You'd never guess what it looks like.

The Holy Turnip is joke religious icon for Turnipism, a "comical" take on Christianity that I made up with some friends during my years in Catholic school. Using the power of the mighty dial up internet I was able to amass a following counting into the teens and spanning the globe. Thank you chat rooms!

bojie1986

my dad said he got my nickname from a character from a morning kiddie show called batibot in our country, it is like sesame street. 1986 is my year of birth.

Menome

I came up with a fake French name for some Resident Evil fan-fiction I wrote when I was in high school.

The stories were trash, but I kept the name. For reference's sake, it's pronounced MEN-OH-MEE, like you're slurring saying "Mon ami".

Later found out a "menome" (MEE-NOME) is a damaged or defective genome. I'm not that.

Psn tag is Bright -Light, it's the name of the first song I ever wrote.

Xbox tag is Smokin Louis, it's because my name is Louis, and I smoked.

BLCKATK

Was inspired by music artists like SBTRKT (Subtract) and BLKHRTS, so I made my name BLCKATK (Black Attack). Was my gamertag for awhile and confused the hell out of people or they didn't want to pronounce it.

Mandelbo

My name has a very dull origin and people that ask are usually a bit disappointed afterwards. Basically I'd been playing around with a mandelbrot image generator. Later, I went to a friend's house and he had Mother 3 so I had to come up with character names. I wanted to call Lucas "Mandelboy", but there wasn't enough space, so the "y" got cut off. I quite liked the name and have used it ever since.

AbandonedTrolley - Gomez Album called Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline, sadly that was too long.
Slipperygoop - RL nickname of Pogo, goop was anagram of Pogo and goop is slippery. Slipperygoop.

Ref asked our soccer team what our name was, nobody could remember, so two brothers came up with random expletive on the spot. Stole that shit for my steam account almost 7 years ago

My last name is 'Bolt'. :p

The XCE part is used whenever Lightning is taken; it was a small group of us that did map creation for Halo Custom Edition about..12(?) years ago.

Montresor

My GAF username is from Edgar Allen Poe's short story The Cask Of Amontillado. Montresor is the main character.

My gamertag is OdadjianActual - Odadjian is a musician from the band System Of A Down, while "Actual" is a reference to Battlestar Galactica. Whenever the leader of the ship would talk via radio, he'd introduce himself as "Galactica Actual". So <name of the ship> + Actual. I thought that was cool so I put it at the end of my tag.

poodaddy

Mine is too long of a story and not as interesting or gross as one might think. Suffice to say, it's simply the end result of a constantly evolving nick name that people have been calling me for two decades now; Chrisypoo.

Top Bottom