• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | October 2015

Massa

So, not sure if it's been posted here, but looks like the three new Vita 2000 colors actually use non-glossy plastic in the front. This is the best photo I've found that shows it.

Someone on TVL forums describes it as "cheaper plastic" but I think it's a personal thing which you'll prefer, there's no cost difference between these I don't think.

Prelude.

So, not sure if it's been posted here, but looks like the three new Vita 2000 colors actually use non-glossy plastic in the front. This is the best photo I've found that shows it.

Someone on TVL forums describes it as "cheaper plastic" but I think it's a personal thing which you'll prefer, there's no cost difference between these I don't think.
Looks like the same material used on the top of the regular 2000. On a black model it'd probably look better after use.

RK128

So Axiom Verge and Bastion are making progress with their Vita ports? That's nice to hear :). If the former takes longer to come to Vita, I have no problem waiting; they will get my money whenever a Vita version comes out. Bastion I'm getting day-one when it comes out on Vita (always wanted to play that), so I'm excited about that :D.

autoduelist

There are so many complexities behind the scenes with ports; I'm glad posts like this shed the light on some.

They better be releasing Axiom Verge on Vita, because they sold the PS4 version on the promise of crossbuy which I then bought directly on release because of that.
Otherwise it's false advertising and that is a crime.

They made the promise in good faith. If unexpected issues beyond their control cripple their ability to do so, I'm willing to forgive them and definitely am not going to hold their feet to the fire for a 'crime'. (Especially since you bought and received the version you paid for, so it's not like you didn't get anything for your money).

I might be disappointed but that still doesn't change that the developers behind Axiom Verge and Sony is breaking the law if they don't release Axiom Verge for PS Vita.

Meh.

incpdo

Guys is sh shattered memories no longer in the psn store? I can find origins but not sm. I'm using the NA store

Saphirax

You guys should get Corpse Party Blood Drive while waiting for Code Realize.

That's on the list as well :D. Just need to figure out how to get through BoS. I only have the first game, and can't really spend any money on the second. However, the let's plays I've tried watching have been nothing short of awful; people talking and making faces nonstop and taking ages to read the text.

That's on the list as well :D. Just need to figure out how to get through BoS. I only have the first game, and can't really spend any money on the second. However, the let's plays I've tried watching have been nothing short of awful; people talking and making faces nonstop and taking ages to read the text.

If you want to get up to date on Blood Drive as fast as possible, you could try to find the final chapter of Book of Shadows. The rest of BoS is good, but not necessary for Blood Drive and much better experienced first-hand.

Saphirax

If you want to get up to date on Blood Drive as fast as possible, you could try to find the final chapter of Book of Shadows. The rest of BoS is good, but not necessary for Blood Drive and much better experienced first-hand.

Ah, so I wouldn't be missing out on anything important? Will give it a go then.

Wil348

Saw this on the Retro Sale section of the UK web store and....it's something to behold.

CQa0RdXWwAAZ_4c.jpg

You had no idea that Jack Nicholson starred in a Castlevania game? What, have you been living under a rock?

Kudo

How did that Natsuiro High School game turn out? And I apologize if its mention is banned, I am/was unaware.

It's pretty much visual novel with walking and other barebones minigames. Lots of events etc. personally I enjoy it even if there isn't too much to say about it.

NewDust

Saw this on the Retro Sale section of the UK web store and....it's something to behold.

CQa0RdXWwAAZ_4c.jpg

You had no idea that Jack Nicholson starred in a Castlevania game? What, have you been living under a rock?

Browsed the ps+ discounts today. On the section where you choose which platform to show the discounts for, the PS4 had the image of an avatar. The avatar consisted of four yellow letters stating "YOLO", openly mocking my inability to hold back on sales. Wish I had screencapped it, cause it's gone now.

incpdo

Potentially doing you a favor. The only version of that game worth playing is the Wii one.
I actually played the umd Psp version and it is not bad at all . it's actually pretty good. I have finish this game 4 times in the psp. Graphics for the portable are great
Is the wii version better? . yes, a lot actually. But as a portable game is just great and reteins all the contents the other versions have. The only real difference are , resolution and graphics. Of course if that affects the appreciation of the game for you is totally understandable.
And in order to play again the wii version I would have to buy a Wii ...

Hikami

Can't remember how many games I bought in the Golden Week sale several months ago.. it was like 7 or 8 maybe? I'm finally down to just one though lol. Just finished The Guided Fate Paradox, really cool game.

All I have left in my backlog from that sale now is Atelier Escha & Logy.. Hope I'll actually like this one. In the only other Atelier game I've played, Ayesha, I just skipped everything to get to the ending since I wasn't really enjoying it.

Producer

All I have left in my backlog from that sale now is Atelier Escha & Logy.. Hope I'll actually like this one. In the only other Atelier game I've played, Ayesha, I just skipped everything to get to the ending since I wasn't really enjoying it.

E&L improves on Ayesha in pretty much every way, from alchemy to combat. Its the best in the Dusk trilogy imo. You should check out the Arland trilogy though, you can find Rorona Plus very cheap on Amazon.

Ponn

Banned
Transformers, DQ Heroes, Disgaea 5, Corpse Party Blood Drive, EDF. What the hell am I supposed to do? And Fallout 4 looming just a month away. I'm trying to figure out which ones might have a good sale during Black Friday to wait for. I would actually like Disgaea 5 digital so I can remote play it easier so that is putting it into the wait for a PSN sale pile. And i'm a big Transformers fan so it pains me to admit that it being a Platinum game means it will probably be cheap come Black Friday. Out of all the things though it sounds stupid but getting the Transformers Dynamic Theme with the digital preorder is keeping it in my need to preorder this weekend pile.

Vylash

Can't remember how many games I bought in the Golden Week sale several months ago.. it was like 7 or 8 maybe? I'm finally down to just one though lol. Just finished The Guided Fate Paradox, really cool game.

do yourself a favor and play the Arland games, the Dusk trilogy is awful

Hikami

I skipped the Arland games on purpose, I just don't think they'd appeal to me. Same with Shallie and Sophie so E&L is probably the last one I'll play.

RK128

Good job getting some of your backlog done man :D!

I remember getting a few games during that golden week sale (at least a few; got one of the Neptuina games through it); those sales are always great for the Vita :).

My backlog looks like this right now:
-Spyro 2 and 3
-Mega Man Legends
-Misadventures of Tron Bone
-Pac-Man World
-Epic Mickey 2 (....guess I like to play a bad game every once and a while :l)
-Shovel Knight (both the original game and the Plauge of Shadows mode)
-LittleBigPlanet Vita

I have a lot to play and thanks to next weeks Plus line-up, I have three more games to dive into :D!

Got $30.
Axiom Verge or Galak Z?

You own a PS4 I presume? If so, either is a good option :). If you own a Vita + PS4? Get Axiom Verge. Both are great games but Axiom Verge is a game that is really one of the best this year if you are huge Metroid fan.

The game is "Non-Nintendo Metroid" basically; its look, its soundtrack, its controls and the gameplay, all ripped right out of the best games in the 2D series (Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion). It has a few spins on the power-ups you get and the story seems to be more in-depth, but otherwise it is the Metroid game we've been waiting years for :'). If you are a huge Metroid fan, get this game now :D!

The reason why I think its a great option for PS4 + Vita owners is due to it being cross-buy with the Vita version (coming this fall/early 2016), so you could replay the game on the go when that version comes out :).

You're all crazy. Neither banned games are better than Operation Abyss. Only one of them does have a tighter battle system.

I'm talking about D****** ********s * hehe

I really like the different mechanics and how the buff's and debuff's even more so than in Operation Abyss.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You're all crazy. Neither banned games are better than Operation Abyss. Only one of them does have a tighter battle system.

lol yeah no.

you may like OA better, but by no means is that any indication it is the better game.

as the between the two excluding MC as that game is not even known for being worthwhile to pick up for the dungeon crawling, it all depends on what one wants out of the game.

as they are on two totally different levels of design.

incpdo

So I finally bought gurumin . and it really shines on Vita. Looks and plays fantastic.in an alternate reality I imagine a gurumin 2 as a Vita native game.

Welp, looks like our Hollow Fragment sequel got announced :D!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120106

Sounds like we will be re-visiting a rebuilt Alicard instead of going to Gun Gale Online or UnderWorld, so I wonder what different elements the Hollow Fragment team will be using for this one :).

I was hoping for a game in the GGO universe but I guess it's because it would be hard to make shooter rpg

lol yeah no.

you may like OA better, but by no means is that any indication it is the better game.

as the between the two excluding MC as that game is not even known for being worthwhile to pick up for the dungeon crawling, it all depends on what one wants out of the game.

as they are on two totally different levels of design.

He might like OA better it's all good ;). I personally love games where buffing and debuffing plays an important role in the gameplay.

M.D

The thing where you activate DLC on a PSN account from one region but then can access the game and DLC with an account from another region still works on PS4, right?

So if my main account with PS+ is US and I bought an EU of The Taken King and activate it on a EU account, I can then access all the DLC content from the US account?

Not too sure where to ask this, but is there a boosting thread at all, got two trophies to get in need for speed most wanted on the Vita and need a friend to crash in to and play a speedlist.

do yourself a favor and play the Arland games, the Dusk trilogy is awful

I don't think Dusk is awful, but I do agree that Arland is vastly superior.

Speaking of, where the hell is Escha & Logy Plus in the west and Shallie Plus in Japan? Have they given up on both of those?

I'm wondering if it's because Gust is so busy at the moment. iirc TKE's twitter said they couldn't go Yoru Vita at the moment because they were so busy, so hopefully they'll have time at some point in the future.

autoduelist

I know that, it's the one I mentioned with the tighter battle system.

I think I prefer OA better too, but barely. OA feels it's age in its interface and has a deplorable inventory system... but I thought the dungeon design was overall more complex and superior than the others.

I'm currently deep in postgame of the otehr and while I really dig it, there are aspects that hold it back. Dungeons are overall simpler, although post-game they do start to get complex. Chant time is annoying, as it effectively gimps magic classes post game compared to other options -- it was a cool idea, it just needed to be balanced slightly better or something since melee will out dps it any day in post. I do appreciate how well pure support classes work, though. I played with the paper dolls in OA, so I got to see every piece of armor and weapon shown on my status screen on my character.... I liked that more than just having fixed portraits. Lewt system is bizarre, with tons of 'cool' rares to find, but all are worthless compared to lame crafted no-name never-changing weapons like 'daggers +39' until so late in post-game it doesn't matter. They really should have made rares far more powerful at any given point in the game so you had to chose between them and crafted, not just 'crafted is better, period'. Combat is solid, though I miss OA's auto-travel and auto-combat a LOT at times.

Don't get me wrong, I can come up with a long list of 'issues' with OA too (and any other game, really). But it's a closer call than I ever would have guessed, and while I'm not completely sure, I think i might give the edge to OA too. But... maybe not, I do feel like the other brings more to the table, I'm just annoyed at some of the decisions mentioned above and others I probably have but have forgotten just now.

RK128

I been playing Spyro 2 on-and-off throughout the past few months and I finally sat down with the game and got one third-through it last week. Considering Insomniac never made a 3D platformer before, the Spyro series on the PS1 holds up very, very well :D.

The presentation is something I have to commend; both the original and Spyro 2 look fantastic to this day due to its mystical colors and some of the PS1's best soundtracks. The original's score really sells the fact you are in the fantasy world and you are on this grand adventure.

The gameplay is very simple; collect-a-thon platformer with you collecting gems and completing missions in the levels. And Spyro 2 does a lot to add-on to the core gameplay of the original; you play hockey with yetty, you shoot lizards with stones, you fly around flaming gems, and more. The game got a lot of variety and having a really funny tone helps you want to help people out with their issues.

I have to bring up the swimming controls in this case; some of the best 3D swimming in ANY platformer. Odd that a dragon can become a great swimmer but here we are with some really great controls when underwater and it feels to good moving fast underwater.

The level design is solid, with more platforming than the original game and the worlds having far more variety than before (you go to space, underwater, ect).

Overall, this is a great platformer that really shows how strong Insomniac Games can be :D. The only issue is the camera but that is fixed when playing on Vita (mapping L2/R2 to Left/Right on the stick and L2/R2 to Down or Up on the right stick).

Edit: Seeing the original PS1 games in their glorly really helped me appreciate them, as I grew up with the latter games in the series on the GC (Heroes Tail) and Wii (Legend of Spyro Eternal Night and Dawn of the Dragon) and found them good/great.

Playing the original games....I still find them good, but I can clearly see why the PS1 games are better; stronger focus on platforming and exploration plus a simple 'charm' and look.

Its also interesting seeing the transition into Skylanders from past Spyro games, as the more the series goes on, the more elements from past Spyro games come back (platforming, usage of other elements, side missions in levels, ect). Going to get Swap Force and Giants in the future (found both for 50 bucks together :D), so I can see if they are good or not :).

Edit: Seeing the original PS1 games in their glorly really helped me appreciate them, as I grew up with the latter games in the series on the GC (Heroes Tail) and Wii (Legend of Spyro Eternal Night and Dawn of the Dragon) and found them good/great

Oh you poor, poor soul :(

Heroes Tail was serviceable but a pretty dull game, and I HATED what they did to Moneybags (my favourite Spyro character). The Legend of Spyro games were just teen angst rubbish and I gave up after the second one.

But you have repented by playing the original trilogy. And you've still got the best to come - Year of the Dragon is literally my favourite videogame of all time.

RK128

Oh you poor, poor soul :(

Heroes Tail was serviceable but a pretty dull game, and I HATED what they did to Moneybags (my favourite Spyro character). The Legend of Spyro games were just teen angst rubbish and I gave up after the second one.

But you have repented by playing the original trilogy. And you've still got the best to come - Year of the Dragon is literally my favourite videogame of all time.

I thought Dawn of the Dragon was okay due to it trying to blend the original triology and God of War but...yah, it wasn't the greatest game of all time or anything. It had a good soundtrack, having a ton of elements to play around with and the flying ability was amazing to finally see fully utilized in the Spyro series :).

Made a thread covering Dawn of the Dragon and while its not the greatest game, its, to me, the best post-Insomniac developed Spyro adventure thus far :).

I love the original Spyro and the sequel is even better (longer levels, stronger mechanics, purpose for the gems, ect).

Top Bottom