• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

i'm pretty sure all playable pokemon in pokken with gender differences are male (besides pikachu libre)

Damn shame if so, considering the fact that the only absolutely female Pokemon are all blatantly feminine (bleh). Would be nice if you could customize your Pokken Pokemon with genders and nicknames.

Damn shame if so, considering the fact that the only absolutely female Pokemon are all blatantly feminine (bleh). Would be nice if you could customize your Pokken Pokemon with genders and nicknames.

Besides the ones with gender differences (Pikachu, Garchomp, Weavile, and Blaziken), none of the other fighters have had their genders confirmed as far as I know and Mewtwo and Suicune are genderless (though Mewtwo was called a "he" in the story, but I think it was just used as a default pronoun). There really isn't anything stopping you from believing Machamp can be female or Braixen can be male. Though it would be nice to be able to customize our fighters visually.

GoldStarz

Cubchoo is freaking adorable, the snot ball should be really gross since it is on most things but it's actually really endearing on them for some reason.

I don't dislike Beartic, but it's kinda plain. At least Usaring has a bit of flair to them.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Source

wa5p8BD.png

gmQwE0V.png

hRfEbPv.png

S3pkVma.png

Hahaha

ajim

Beartic rocks. Love it's mountain like design and I think it's actually done really well.

Cubchoo is adorable too.

I love Beartic, but man using him is such an absolute chore

I know right? I was so pumped to use crotchhair bear in my first Black run but had to drop him before the Pokemon league because he just came across as dead weight.

Anyway, Icicle Beard means all complaints are invalid, Pokebears are a great batch and that includes our frosty friend here.

Macka

Beartic is one of the most disappointing Pokemon ever for me. It looks freaking terrible imo with the beady eyes and weirdly shaped head. I remember that as the leaks were coming out for B/W, I actually heard that one of them was a Polar Bear before I saw the sprite, and was so freaking excited. I'd been looking forward to an awesome Polar Bear Pokemon for years. :'( We still don't have one. :/

Even Cubchoo I don't find cute. That snot icicle isn't a great idea imo.

Seeing Beartic on all fours in the anime threw me for a bit of a loop, but I guess they had to make it do that, since its arms are just so huge.

Honestly, I the eyes don't phase me, but its weird head does. Not the icicle slobber, but its head just turning into a stunted point like that. I think if they made its neutral stance quadrupedal, removed or obscured that crotch fur, and modified the top of its head, it would look a lot better.

gardfish

Oh, I never noticed that Beartic was supposed to be shaped like a mountain top before, THAT'S why it's so triangular in frame. It still bugs me, but I guess that's cool.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly it's just the face that kills the design for me, not the crotch fluff (nothing new in pokemon) or the shape (nothing new in pokemon). It feels plain and lacking. It lacks the aggressive look Ursaring has and the thuggish look Pangoro has.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like Cubchoo and Beartic but I feel that Game Freak made few mistake with them.

Firstly I feel that Beartic should be Ice/water as Polar Bears are good swimmers and they should have the ability thick fat.

I will probably mostly likely use them as a reserve on my team as Beartic doesn't quite have the move to be on the main team.

Beartic looks better when he's on all four.

With that said yeah, it is the weakest among the bear trio (with Pangoro being the best of course).

There's four bear Pokémon, people always forget about Snorlax.

best bear is still a gen away anyway

generally speaking, if there's an animal motif re-used somewhere in Gen 6, it's the best one.

best bird. best clobster. best dinos. best dragon. best bear. best lion. best bunny. best lizard. best cocoon. best... tree. best sentient lump of inanimate matter. best objects?

worst fox tho

e105zeta

Neo Member
Koalas aren't bears, but Snorlax is.

I remember for years people insisted panda bears weren't bears because obviously the red panda and the giant panda HAVE to be related since they have circles around their eyes and have the same name - and that means pandas can't be bears!

Also, stop it - you're reminding me of the paucity of Australian culture and wildlife in Pokemon! : ( All we have is freaking Kangaskhan and Heliolisk.

CazTGG

The best bear is still the Ursa line...design-wise at least. Still, as a Canadian, I can't help but like Beartic's exaggerated polar bear-esque design or the cuteness of Cubchoo, boogers and all.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
kVaZP45.png

#615 - Cryogonal
Ice

Our last Ice-type Pokemon in the Unova Dex until we reach the Legendary mascot of Black 2 and White 2, Cryogonal is one of the oddest Pokemon in Black and White and also quite rare---at most you have a 5% chance of obtaining one in Twist Mountain during the Winter, otherwise it has only a meager 1% appearance rate in any other season. Black 2 and White 2 bump it up to 15% in the Winter, 5% in the other months, but it's still a Pokemon the majority of players likely won't end up using because of its rarity, not to mention the fact it's wholly unremarkable. That being said it's probably better than the majority of Ice-type Pokemon due to being fairly fast as well as possessing a decent amount of Special Attack, and if you choose to use one for your team, especially if you breed one for the early game, you'll probably find it to be a pretty good team member as unlike Vanillite or Cubchoo you don't have to wait forever for it to evolve and actually gain somewhat decent stats. In the competitive scene Cryogonal isn't amazing, but it does have a niche as a very solid Levitating Rapid Spinner in the lower tiers with access to Recover and can be a good asset on defensive-teams, though speaking of defense keep it as far away as possible from physical attackers lest it be easily taken out due to its extremely low 30-base Defense.

Cryogonal I said is pretty unremarkable, and that stems mainly from the fact it has a pretty odd design---a snowflake Pokemon isn't that weird of an idea, and had they gone with something that was cute and took advantage of how snowflakes look different, something like what they did with Spinda, it probably would've been better received but instead they created a pretty bizarre looking creature. It's an edgy---quite literally---snowflake with an ice-crystal mustache that it uses to bind foes and freeze them, and it also appears to have elements of a mirror as well as a "shape" motif with access to Reflect and Sharpen. Looking at its shape you'll notice it happens to have six sides and thus it feels like this would've been a better Pokemon to introduce in Generation VI to play with that, not to mention it seems like a Pokemon designed for 3D rather than sprite-form due to representing geometric shapes. I was actually hoping to see an evolution for it in Generation VI that turned it into a cool looking polyhedron made of ice with a face on each side, but I guess that might be where they go with the Mega now perhaps.

A lot of people used to think there was more to Cryogonal than meets the eye due to it being so rare and having a unique quirk---the ability to learn Attract. Now Cryogonal is genderless meaning Attract is pointless on it, and among all the other Pokemon the only other genderless Pokemon who can learn Attract happens to be Mew, but that's just to fit with the lore of it having the DNA of every Pokemon within it and thus being compatible with every TM. There's no reason or explanation as to why Cryogonal can learn Attract, though some people think it has to do with it being a mirror, while others think either Cryogonal had a gender at one point but it was dropped and the development team forgot to remove Attract from its move list, or there was going to be a new form introduced for it in the "third-version" to Black and White that gave it a gender and allowed it to utilize Attract. Hell, some people---even me perhaps---thought it might actually get a full evolution in Black 2 and White 2 since everyone was speculating if we were actually gonna see completely New Pokemon introduced mid-Generation. But nothing as of yet has come of Cryogonal learning Attract, and oddly enough this wasn't fixed in Generation VI implying it's either intentional or Game Freak just doesn't give a fuck about this Pokemon. I'm guessing the latter.

Another reason people were speculating that Cryogonal was going to have a larger role in Black 2 and White 2 was due to its first major anime appearance being in the 15th film alongside the new Formes of Kyurem and Keldeo, though in the movie proper they just ended up being goons working for Kyurem who mindlessly followed his will. I wonder if perhaps that was their intended role at one point in the games too, them "spawning from the clouds" meaning they come from outer space like Kyurem supposedly did, but such a connection is limited to the movie at this point and nothing in the actual games connect them whatsoever except for both being Ice-type Pokemon. Cryogonal also appeared in the show under Brycen, who literally uses Unova's entire Ice-type lineup basically, where it was able to easily defeat Scraggy before losing to Pignite's Fire Pledge---though really a single hit from any of Scraggy or Pignite's physical-attacks should've managed to take it out due to its poor Defense. A later Best Wishes episode also had some attacking a dam because a baby Cryogonal was stuck inside, but the crisis was averted thanks to Virgil and his Eeveelutions.

Bladenic

I actually really like Cryogonal's look. And it replaced poor Beartic as Brycen's ace in B2/W2. But jeez that stat distribution. Massive Special Defense but insanely low defense. Tepid HP. Good speed and ok special attack. If the special defense and special attack would've been swapped Cryogonal would probably be way better.

It's a mustache? I thought it was an open angry mouth and the glowing balls were "teeth" or sort of the representation of them.

It probably should have been Ice/Ghost.

I honestly don't even think the design is that bad, but mediocre. In B2, my Lucario (named Sakurai) slaughtered dozens of them. He must really hate winter. In White, Archeops YOLO'd them all, because one minor tickle from an ice attack and he was down. But he never let a thing like "type disadvantage" or "awful defenses" bring him down.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
<insert comic about Attract on Cryogonal>

Same here. Boss Doggie must've had people who hated him
Man I don't what kind of teddy bear you had but the one I had were soft, cuddly and fluffy.

the stupid forced bear shape makes them unfun unlike plushies made for hugging!

The best bear is still the Ursa line...design-wise at least.

Gonna disagree on that.

...actually I am annoyed almost every bear shown by Japan (and even by kemono artists) have the same generic "brown bear with v mark" design.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's a mustache? I thought it was an open angry mouth and the glowing balls were "teeth" or sort of the representation of them.

It probably should have been Ice/Ghost.

I honestly don't even think the design is that bad, but mediocre. In B2, my Lucario (named Sakurai) slaughtered dozens of them. He must really hate winter.

I don't know, it looked like a Fu Manchu-style 'stache in the BW sprite.

GoldStarz

Such a cool looking Pokemon, but I can't say I've ever really used them. I actually like their lore about being unable to understand emotion. It's pretty interesting idea for the Pokemon franchise.

I made a mono-ice team that I use on battle spot, that includes Cryoganol. It's always nice using pokemon that are uncommon, because most people don't know what it can do.

It's great vs special attackers because it learns dual screens, and recover, and is also very fast. Very hard to take down, even with a super effective attack.

Azuran

Banned
I love Cryogonal because he's so weird and out there. I have affinity for rare single stage Pokemon most people probably forget they even exist.

Spyware

This is one if those rare mons you don't really want the "fortune" of finding on the first encounter in a locke. That Def stat is gonna kill it in two seconds in a lot of locke-types.
I like the idea of it but since I only play lockes since Gen IV i've never used it and probably never will :/

Top Bottom