• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever feel like Fallout 3 and New Vegas are unfinished?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I was playing Fallout New Vegas this morning, and got angry when I attached a scope to my laser rifle, hated it, and realized weapon modifications can't be removed. I know I can get the weapon mods kit blagh blagh blagh but honestly I am trying to do a vanilla play through. (I already kind of lost this battle by installing texture mods because the characters are so fuck ugly.)

This comes from a massive Fallout fan though. Despite their flaws, they are still my favorite games. It makes me happy to see the trailer for 4 imply a lot of features one would usually have to mod for.

Warxard

Banned
Fallout 3, maybe? F3 felt too streamlined and empty compared to F2 and 1 that I felt as if some of the content just didn't make it until later expansions.

New Vegas? Helllll no. New Vegas is what Fallout 3 should have been.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Fallout 3, maybe? F3 felt too streamlined and empty compared to F2 and 1 that I felt as if some of the content just didn't make it until later expansions.

It is a better game, but it still suffers from being really barren in certain places.

Jigorath

Banned
New Vegas was kind of like KOTOR II. Rushed out to release by the publisher before the Obsidian could properly finish the game, and ending up with lots of content sitting on the cutting room floor as a result. Obsidian has the worst luck with publishers.

New Vegas is still an excellent game though.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
New Vegas was kind of like KOTOR II. Rushed out to release by the publisher before the Obsidian could properly finish the game, and ending up with lots of content sitting on the cutting room floor as a result. Obsidian has the worst luck with publishers.

New Vegas is still an excellent game though.

i didn't know this. Makes so much sense

Since you're doing a vanilla playthrough it sounds like you came out of the mod rabbbit hole. I don't think they were unfinished, but the games will never be the same again for you.

Fallout 3? No. I loved that game and didn't feel that way. It became an instant personal favourite.

New Vegas? In some ways, maybe.

SirNinja

New Vegas is excellent (it's my favorite Fallout by a mile), but it's got a ton, and I mean a TON, of cut content, because Obsidian had like nine months to make the thing from start to finish. Even with an existing engine and assets, that's a very short time to produce a game rivaling the size and scale of Fallout 3.

If you're interested and don't mind spoilers, there's an enormous writeup that goes into detail about what was cut. (There are also quite a few mods that attempt to restore said content.)

I played Fallout 3 GOTY edition so no, felt really fleshed out actually. I tried to play New Vegas Ultimate Edition, but realized Fallout 4 is going to be out in a couple months. I would rather play that. I hear a ton of great stuff about New Vegas though.

Tagyhag

Fallout 3? No.

Fallout New Vegas? Yes, no doubt about it. It's an Obsidian game and they had less than a year to work on it.

It's still better than 3 though, imagine if they had been given the time that they needed.

imagine if they had been given the time that they needed

sf4I3dG.gif

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
New Vegas is excellent (it's my favorite Fallout by a mile), but it's got a ton, and I mean a TON, of cut content, because Obsidian had like nine months to make the thing from start to finish. Even with an existing engine and assets, that's a very short time to produce a game rivaling the size and scale of Fallout 3.

If you're interested and don't mind spoilers, there's an enormous writeup that goes into detail about what was cut. (There are also quite a few mods that attempt to restore said content.)

Oh shit, I am definitely interested in this. I will read up on it. Thanks

Frostav

Banned
I bought New Vegas on Steam. My Pip-Boy constantly rendered as a massive red box with a white exclamation mark. I looked online and found absolutely zero support or help for this issue.

That was the point where I realized that New Vegas, and F03 and Skyrim for that matter, were actually really shitty games that are only popular because of mods. They are godawful, jank, busted, and horrendously buggy pieces of shit otherwise, and the fact that Bethesda charges you full price for this shit is absolutely disgusting, especially when they KNOW this and know that their mindless zombie horde of a fanbase will rush to fix their mistakes.

But even disregarding the bugs, the games control like complete shit, the mechanics are jank as hell, and they are just literally not fun to play, even with mods, because the base is just that bad.

Can't wait for the same shit to happen with F04. It'll suck but everyone'll be in mindless fan mode and eat it right up and wait for mods that only put a bandaid on a complete fucking failure of a game.

Rambone

Never felt like the Fallout games were incomplete. There is so much content that I never get around to finishing any of them. It seems like with any game, over time when new sequels come out that more and more features are added. Things do end up getting better it seems or mods end up adding quality of life features that seemed an after-thought or were not implemented.

Looking forward to FO4 and the weapon/gear customization is much welcomed.

Skelter

Banned
I bought New Vegas on Steam. My Pip-Boy constantly rendered as a massive red box with a white exclamation mark. I looked online and found absolutely zero support or help for this issue.

That was the point where I realized that New Vegas, and F03 and Skyrim for that matter, were actually really shitty games that are only popular because of mods. They are godawful, jank, busted, and horrendously buggy pieces of shit otherwise, and the fact that Bethesda charges you full price for this shit is absolutely disgusting, especially when they KNOW this and know that their mindless zombie horde of a fanbase will rush to fix their mistakes.

But even disregarding the bugs, the games control like complete shit, the mechanics are jank as hell, and they are just literally not fun to play, even with mods, because the base is just that bad.

Can't wait for the same shit to happen with F04. It'll suck but everyone'll be in mindless fan mode and eat it right up and wait for mods that only put a bandaid on a complete fucking failure of a game.

New Vegas is loved because it's an excellent Fallout game. Great writing that is has both serious moments and humorous. Incredible DLC, characters, quests, and so many throwbacks to the original games that is Fallout purists could look pass the shitty engine and...worse gameplay.

Mods help but Obsidian developed an excellent Fallout game and the only thing that I hope Fallout 4 allows is for another Obsidian Fallout game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

What? New Vegas made Fallout 3 seem like a polished Nintendo game.

gosox333

There's loads of unfinished stuff in NV, like Strip locations and questlines and a good chunk of the Legion story. And obviously the release bugs

Great game, but it was still rushed like cray.

Veezy

que?

Opinions and all that, but New Vegas, in it's current form on PC, is completely playable. Start to finish.

The reason you probably found zero support for your issue is that it is exactly what happens when somebody mods in customer textures and fails to turn on archive invalidation. I have put a few hundred hours into the game between PS3 (the worst way to play the game) and PC (the best) and what you are stating never happened. Ever. So, if you're trying to fix a problem that is caused by mods and you haven't modded your game, I don't know what to tell you. If you have applied texture mods 100% of them have the instruction in the readme to turn on archive invalidation. Hell, it's built into Mod Organizer, Nexus Mod Manager, and Fallout Mod Manager.

New Vegas is loved not due to the animations or the mechanics (however, the mechanics are well made and fit in with the world) but for the storyline, the ability to role play the character you want, the diverse cast of characters, and the game world itself. All of which you would not know about, as you apparently didn't play the game that far in due to your rather unique texture issue that you have. Seriously, if you have not applied a single pipboy texture to the game and you have the issue you're having then the texture is just straight up not there and you need to reinstall your copy from Steam.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You are really overstating how buggy New Vegas was in comparison to 3.
It is to this day the only game I have not completed because of how buggy it was. I mean, I loved the game but after a time I just couldn't take it any more. And mind you I finished a Bethesda games since Oblivion. New Vegas was just a whole new level.

That is some weird ass reason for thinking they are unfinished.For New Vegas especially it looks like they had to rush it out of the door.

But I wouldn't really consider them unfinished, not more than other games.

Veezy

que?
It is to this day the only game I have not completed because of how buggy it was. I mean, I loved the game but after a time I just couldn't take it any more. And mind you I finished a Bethesda games since Oblivion. New Vegas was just a whole new level.

On release, yes, it was unplayable for many people. That being said, I completed the full game, with the DLC, on the Playstation 3. It was inconvenient to have to reboot the console every 15-30 minutes, but I did it. On PC I did not have any issue, once I turned of auto save.

MiguelItUp

Not at all. I actually thought both games were really well done and were pretty solid actually. There were minor things here and there, but I still loved them both dearly.

I put hundreds of hours into New Vegas and never knew there were weapon mods.

I really don't know what this says about me who considers himself a pretty large Fallout fan...

But in all honesty, yes both feel unfinished. I feel Fallout 3 with all included DLC gives a more appropriate conclusion that leaves me satisfied. New Vegas left me wanting more to the point I felt like there is a Half Life 2: Episode 3 equivalent for it somewhere deep in a code warehouse rotting away.

The engine isn't even finished, much less the game. You don't go into a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game expecting much in the way of polish, you know?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I put hundreds of hours into New Vegas and never knew there were weapon mods.

I really don't know what this says about me who considers himself a pretty large Fallout fan...

But in all honesty, yes both feel unfinished. I feel Fallout 3 with all included DLC gives a more appropriate conclusion that leaves me satisfied. New Vegas left me wanting more to the point I felt like there is a Half Life 2: Episode 3 equivalent for it somewhere deep in a code warehouse rotting away.
Well I didnt say that to seem entitled, I just mean lacking an option to remove a scope is a little awkward. Seems like a given, right?

tbd

Of course they're unfinished, especially New Vegas. Weren't they under extreme deadline pressure?

Invisible walls, The Strip is lackluster, way too few radio tracks, almost unplayable due to glitches when it came out, completely empty colonies. I still remember Jacob's Town with its two or three unique characters. Why did this house even have several floors? Camp McCarran, those empty halls within the Hoover Dam, the Boomers. There is barely any fucking content or any gameplay value to be found.

hoover_dam_power_plan0cs9t.jpg

There are several plants and they look all the same and are all empty. It's like this game sometimes just doesn't give a shit that it's a video game. So much time wasted exploring empty locations in Bethesda games believing there must be something.

144380369132515ldk.jpg

I always find it weird when people shit on everything Fallout 3 does but praise New Vegas.

Bleeether

It's not the game or the fans fault you failed at installing a texture mod and don't know how to google a fix. I googled "exclamation point pipboy" and there are dozen of answers including videos on how to fix your own mess.

Well I'm playing through new vegas right now. Good to know that some of the places i've visited are just plain empty. I'll get some giddy up on now rather than wandering so much.

oceanskie

Banned
Fallout 3 to New Vegas is much like Windows ME to XP. Not just in terms of content but also the frequency of crashes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's not the game or the fans fault you failed at installing a texture mod and don't know how to google a fix. I googled "exclamation point pipboy" and there are dozen of answers including videos on how to fix your own mess.

Who said he installed a texture mod?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I always find it weird when people shit on everything Fallout 3 does but praise New Vegas.

In regards to the strip, at least, it was supposed to be one cell, but Obsidian couldn't make it work within the limits of the engine/hardware. I believe similar things apply for the Dam (and I will say that the Dam's layout is horrendously easy to get lost in), but can't be sure off-hand.

As for the rest, New Vegas has....almost opposite of the issues FO3 has, at least in some areas.

For all that it does do right/better in terms of world-building and narrative cohesiveness (especially with the karma + multiple factions combining), it does lack the....spectacle of it all. There are locations which don't ever really serve a lot of purpose outside a small, or even unnamed quest, and there's a bunch of empty space. Some people aren't going to care about the sharecropper farm, or the random empty farm house.

Not to mention like unfinished quest threads/plot lines that don't fully mesh, especially the Legion.

There's other problems that can be brought up, but on the whole, they both do things well, and I'm hoping FO4 took a bit of New Vegas with it as we come closer to November 10th.

Top Bottom