• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

I dont like this trend of finishing major features of your game after release. In recent memory Metal Gear didnt get Online until just now (unless youre on PC like me in that case fuck me I guess), Halo 5 isnt getting forge or BTB until later. Halo 4 had similar stuff. And then there are all the blatantly broken games being released and patched later (MCC still sucks dont forget to preorder halo 5). The industry is going to a bad place and Halo is contributing.

Preordering games is looking more and more stupid. Now you don't even just worry about the game functioning, but also if you even have access to the full game yet. Thank you for your payment, welcome to the beta test.

I always remake Temple from Goldeneye in Forge to scale. I can't wait to try it this time around.

You are a wonderful person.

Worried about them not mentioning a map browser. Hope that makes it in. Would be cool to look through the most popular or highly rated maps.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
December :( how am i going to do my first ever Halo 5 Gun Sync Stinkles :'( without my forge. why you do this to me :(

I dont like this trend of finishing major features of your game after release. In recent memory Metal Gear didnt get Online until just now (unless youre on PC like me in that case fuck me I guess), Halo 5 isnt getting forge or BTB until later. And then there are all the blatantly broken games being released and patched later (MCC still sucks dont forget to preorder halo 5). The industry is going to a bad place and Halo is contributing.

Preordering games is looking more and more stupid. Now you don't even just worry about the game functioning, but also if you even have access to the full game yet.

You are a wonderful person.

If you have a problem with this then wait till December and buy it, heck you may even save a few bucks. I don't care about forge, why should I be forced to wait so they can finish it?

In the build we using Metallic was a 1 to 10 scale. No finishes/texture options that i saw, although new items can be added at any time through updates.

There are two types of lights which surpass my ability to describe here. One gets baked in, the other is dynamic. More information on these will come later. Not sure how extensive the scripting options are.

If it's an entire 1-10 scale in the final build that'll be pretty awesome.

Does the water on the alpine canvas have any "mass" to it, or is it more of an empty "volume" with particle effects on the surface, like in past titles? For example, could the new dynamic terrain objects have the ability to isolate or "push it around," or will they just harmlessly clip inside one another? It'd be interesting if you could use some form of irrigation on the maps.

I like to think that the tides / possibly rain are environmental FX, bare minimum.

Oh, I'm sorry. Am I suppose to qualify every single post with "IMO" or something?

BTB's not at launch, Forge is coming in December, Split-screen is gone, I have no idea what's going on with theatre mode in Campaign and a host of other small oddities (like detailed stats) but I can't think a game has lesser features then predecessors or delay my purchase because features I use aren't there? And saying so makes it a dumb post?

Well, okay then.

Redacted to prevent derailment. Sorry you're unhappy

Can you please stop derailing the thread? Go talk about that in the bigger one. This is a detailed almost technical feature and there's lots to discuss, I've explained this is part of a sustain roadmap and while it is absolutely fine to dislike that, a conversation about us starting the game's development a month earlier is not really additive.

Okay. Is there any timeframe that you will talk about these game types?

Oddball
King of the Hill
Extraction
Infection
VIP
Headhunter
Juggernaut
Assault
Regicide
Grifball
Race
Stockpile

or are we just going to have to cross our fingers that they are there on the 27th?

I haven't even watched the video but December release?

That's some god damn bullshit. The game is seriously lacking in features.

Halo 5 has a singleplayer campaign that is apparently twice as long as Halo 4's (which takes 8 hours on average.)

So that's a campaign that is at least 10 hours if we're talking super conservatively.

Then it has Arena multiplayer which will have a wide assortment of playlists as well as Weekend Social playlists that offer new modes to play in matchmaking every weekend, as voted on by the community.

Then it has Warzone which is totally new to the series and is 12 versus 12 on the biggest maps ever seen in a Halo game, and introduces player vs. player vs. covenant/AI enemies in one mode for the first time.

On top of that, you can play Custom Games on the maps the game comes with, which is fun enough on its own. Swords on Truth, Snipers on Empire, Hammers on Fathom, etc.

Of course you can also tweak way more than just the starting weapons, including the player traits and the way the mode you choose works (Infection where the survivors have swords instead of shotguns.

You can also watch your friends' matches while they happen with live spectator mode, and Theater returns to let you watch and save clips from your past matches.

In addition, many people consider the new REQ system a feature. Play matches, get points, and use them to unlock new weapons and vehicles to use in Warzone as well as cool cosmetic stuff like armor and weapon skins that are available in every mode of the game.

It may have a shorter bulleted list of features at launch than previous games, but the campaign is way longer, the matchmaking multiplayer more robust, and the game is getting tons of free content post-launch. Not counting Forge and BTB which I classify as features I expect from a new Halo game, there's 15 new maps coming between launch and June, as well as frequent updates that will add new REQ items to the REQ system.

Some multiplayer games come out for $60 and all you can do in them is play online matchmaking. Halo 5 still offers significantly more than your average game.

Yes because everyone is so happy to buy a game and then get really fundamental features a month after release. And when half the population is gone because Black Ops 3 and Fallout steal them I'm sure they will rush back.

They literally did this exact same shit with Halo 4. Missing key and expected features and then released them months later.

If those players are going, they're going. If anything, releasing big new features later is more likely to tempt them back than... nothing/a small map pack.

Forge sounds great. I don't like the package not being 'complete' at launch, but there's enough for me there I reckon. As long as the other stuff comes smoothly and swiftly, I can cope.

As for the game modes: Headhunter and Stockpile aside (they've been in one game - Race is hardly a staple either), I reckon we'll see a fair share of them. They might not appear, but it is worth nothing how much unjustified doubt was placed in the very existence of Forge on these very forums. Maybe that will be justified regarding gametypes. We shall have to wait.

Raide

With the changes to man-cannons I can finally make The Longest Yard correctly.

I will also get back to my project of remaking Quake 1 Deathmatch maps.

I'm expecting them to be cut, so anything else will be a pleasant surprise. It's very disappointing to think about Assault, OB and KotH getting the axe.

So what, is there just going to be warzone, slayer, team slayer, capture the flag, and swat at launch? This game is looking really bare bones at launch compared to past games like Reach with big team battle and forge not even being there. Is firefight in this game? I forgot if it was in Halo 4.

JoeDanny

Oddball
King of the Hill
Extraction
Infection
VIP
Headhunter
Juggernaut
Assault
Regicide
Grifball
Race
Stockpile

or are we just going to have to cross our fingers that they are there on the 27th?

The booty devastation in your posts is phenomenal. Keep up the entertainment

OT: Crossing my fingers for an undo button. Cmon 343 make the magic happen

Troy

Banned
Halo 5 has a singleplayer campaign that is apparently twice as long as Halo 4's (which takes 8 hours on average.)

So that's a campaign that is at least 10 hours if we're talking super conservatively.

Then it has Arena multiplayer which will have a wide assortment of playlists as well as Weekend Social playlists that offer new modes to play in matchmaking every weekend, as voted on by the community.

Then it has Warzone which is totally new to the series and is 12 versus 12 on the biggest maps ever seen in a Halo game, and introduces player vs. player vs. covenant/AI enemies in one mode for the first time.

On top of that, you can play Custom Games on the maps the game comes with, which is fun enough on its own. Swords on Truth, Snipers on Empire, Hammers on Fathom, etc.

Of course you can also tweak way more than just the starting weapons, including the player traits and the way the mode you choose works (Infection where the survivors have swords instead of shotguns.

You can also watch your friends' matches while they happen with live spectator mode, and Theater returns to let you watch and save clips from your past matches.

In addition, many people consider the new REQ system a feature. Play matches, get points, and use them to unlock new weapons and vehicles to use in Warzone as well as cool cosmetic stuff like armor and weapon skins that are available in every mode of the game.

It may have a shorter bulleted list of features at launch than previous games, but the campaign is way longer, the matchmaking multiplayer more robust, and the game is getting tons of free content post-launch. Not counting Forge and BTB which I classify as features I expect from a new Halo game, there's 15 new maps coming between launch and June, as well as frequent updates that will add new REQ items to the REQ system.

Some multiplayer games come out for $60 and all you can do in them is play online matchmaking. Halo 5 still offers significantly more than your average game.

Is there a horde mode of some kind? Or something on par with Destiny's strike missions? I love playing online, but I despise PVP.

Well this sounds (and looks) awesome. I love tinkering with stuff like this. I hope the scripting abilities have some real depth to them.

Not concerned in the slightest about the December 'delayed' release. There's more than enough to be getting on with in the meantime in Halo 5, never mind other games I have to play. I guess it does suck though for those who buy retail and are without Xbox Live, though those must be very fringe cases these days.

Mesonak

It's perfectly reasonable to dislike the exclusion of content until after the launch of the game. I don't think anybody will say it's wrong to not like that particular trend.

However, I vaguely recall the community saying that they should've delayed MCC to ensure that it released in a functional and polished state. If Forge can't be ready until December, then there were two options; delay Forge or delay Halo 5. Like it or not, Forge probably isn't something the majority of gamers spend a lot of time in. Not to belittle the forging community, but it's probably not one of the most popular modes.

Ergo, it makes perfect sense to me to release the game and delay the mode.

So what, is there just going to be warzone, slayer, team slayer, capture the flag, and swat at launch? This game is looking really bare bones at launch compared to past games like Reach with big team battle and forge not even being there.

Nobody knows, so cool yer jets.

Akai__

Okay, here is the thing.. This Forge looks amazing, but please let there be a propper File Share System. Also, this basically screams Custom Game Browser + more Custom Game settings.

I'd say we will see some pretty incredible stuff from our Cartographers. Can't wait to see what people can come up with.

Is there a horde mode of some kind? Or something on par with Destiny's strike missions? I love playing online, but I despise PVP.

You can replay campaign missions with different skulls on, but personally I would recommend playing Warzone and focus on fighting the AI objectives. If you get a few friends together you can run around in a squad fighting all the AI and capturing the AI-defended bases. Warzone has bosses to fight as well, which might be to your liking. Killing the AI enemies is very important in Warzone as well, so you don't have to worry about not contributing by focusing on AI.

you mean in December Kappa

giphy.gif

Omega

Banned
Or.... They should have put a larger team/started the forge planning of the game earlier to make sure it launched with the game? How much is a month really going to do.

This isn't MGS V where you just take a bunch of guys from one group and move them to another to level up.

Oddball
King of the Hill
Extraction
Infection
VIP
Headhunter
Juggernaut
Assault
Regicide
Grifball
Race
Stockpile

This is where I agree with you. It's like them not talking about the flag properties when unveiling CTF (took them a while to say we're able to drop the flag and that it's not auto pickup).

It would take mere seconds to confirm/deny these things, and if they are in fact tied to more expansive game settings then all that would be needed is "While we don't exactly have those gametypes, our game setting customization has been expanded to allow for these gametypes to be created. We will be diving into those details soon."

There's no downside to saying that, and if it really is that they're cut, at least let us deal with that now instead of receiving the backlash at launch.
So what, is there just going to be warzone, slayer, team slayer, capture the flag, and swat at launch? This game is looking really bare bones at launch compared to past games like Reach with big team battle and forge not even being there. Is firefight in this game? I forgot if it was in Halo 4.
Firefight is not in the game, but some are holding out hope for a Warzone gametype that's just against AI.

You can replay campaign missions with different skulls on, but personally I would recommend playing Warzone and focus on fighting the AI objectives. If you get a few friends together you can run around in a squad fighting all the AI and capturing the AI-defended bases. Warzone has bosses to fight as well, which might be to your liking. Killing the AI enemies is very important in Warzone as well, so you don't have to worry about not contributing by focusing on AI.

But Warzone is PvP - there are human players everywhere.

There is nothing really like Destiny in Halo 5. They are utterly different games at heart, where it really matters.

Vire

Ice map hype!

The whole release part of the game later is kind of a concerning trend these days though. Obviously Metal Gear Online was a bit more egregious, but I hope this isn't something we see often from AAA games in the future.

This game shits on most games content wise even without everything at launch. If people want to talk about a lack of content they would be better served in a Battlefront thread. Seriously, this game has many things to do and it only gets better.

It's perfectly reasonable to dislike the exclusion of content until after the launch of the game. I don't think anybody will say it's wrong to not like that particular trend.

However, I vaguely recall the community saying that they should've delayed MCC to ensure that it released in a functional and polished state. If Forge can't be ready until December, then there were two options; delay Forge or delay Halo 5. Like it or not, Forge probably isn't something the majority of gamers spend a lot of time in. Not to belittle the forging community, but it's probably not one of the most popular modes.

Ergo, it makes perfect sense to me to release the game and delay the mode.

Forge looks on par with dev tools now. I don't think anyone from the Forge community is going to be upset about a delay for that.

Ok so talk me through this. Due to my general utter incompetence at shooters I tend to stick to single player. How do epic forge levels make it into my gameplay if I'm going multi? Is there a community forge playlist? Does someone have to invite me to a map they made? Etc etc.

Okay, here is the thing.. This Forge looks amazing, but please let there be a propper File Share System. Also, this basically screams Custom Game Browser + more Custom Game settings.

I'd say we will see some pretty incredible stuff from our Cartographers. Can't wait to see what people can come up with.

No way are they going to not have sharing features.

I reckon we'll see truth behind the rumours of Spartan Companies, with community features and sharing and stuff like that or at least I hope so.

OldRoutes

Ok so talk me through this. Due to my general utter incompetence at shooters I tend to stick to single player. How do epic forge levels make it into my gameplay if I'm going multi? Is there a community forge playlist? Does someone have to invite me to a map they made? Etc etc.

We don't know yet as far as I can read. I expect this to be something they reveal later...

Ice map hype!

The whole release part of the game later is kind of a concerning trend these days though. Obviously Metal Gear Online was a bit more egregious, but I hope this isn't something we see often from AAA games in the future.

I've covered it in HaloENT, but it's definitely a move gaming companies are making in an effort to ensure longevity and provide games as a strong service, rather than a self-contained good. For one, it allows you develop the "complete game" (which would be considered the outright endgame of the title in this case, e.g. Halo 2 after Desolation and Tombstone) over a much longer period of time, not to mention structuring it in such a way where way more content can be provided for "free." Not only that, but it also helps in terms of rejuvenating audience interest - H5's distribution model is night and day from H4's, despite what the peanut gallery in here are complaining about. H4 basically just shoved a whole bunch of esoteric innovation in your face and asked you to click with it, while H5 is providing a way more digestible platform over a longer period of time that actually expects you to deviate it to play other games every once in a while. Structuring Halo content in a monolithic fashion as the original trilogy did doesn't work now that they aren't the only games keeping the console alive.

You can find community maps by various authors to play on. As far as matchmaking I don't know. Find a group of friends to play custom games with. Some forge modes and map variants are a blast to play. I don't forge myself but sometimes the creativity of the community wows me.

JackHerer

You know there are going to be so many platforming levels using the new Spartan abilities like clamber, ground-pound, etc. They may even be kind of fun.

The ice canvas looks amazing and the 1600 objects, paired with the lighting/color options, will produce some unique looking maps hopefully.

Looks like it will be well worth the wait. a feature like forge being released post launch isn't really that big of a deal since most people will be playing on the shipped maps in that first month or two anyways. Plus it also sounds like 343 will continually update forge based on that blog post. I'm really excited to see what the community can create!

RowdyReverb

I can't wait to see a Halo 5-ified Lockout remake on that beautiful Ice-themed Forge map.
I bet there will be a decent Lockout remake in the #1 spot on the popular maps list by the end of week 1. We'll get a tidal wave of remakes followed by some really innovative maps as people learn the new tools.

Akai__

No way are they going to not have sharing features.

I reckon we'll see truth behind the rumours of Spartan Companies, with community features and sharing and stuff like that or at least I hope so.

There will be obviously a File Share system, but I'm talking about a really good one, that is functional and easy to use/access. The last time I checked somebodies File Share before every game was in Halo 3, because it was pretty good back then.

I've covered it in HaloENT, but it's definitely a move gaming companies are making in an effort to ensure longevity and provide games as a strong service, rather than a self-contained good. For one, it allows you develop the "complete game" (which would be considered the outright endgame of the title in this case, e.g. Halo 2 after Desolation and Tombstone) over a much longer period of time, not to mention structuring it in such a way where way more content can be provided for "free." Not only that, but it also helps in terms of rejuvenating audience interest - H5's distribution model is night and day from H4's, despite what the peanut gallery in here are complaining about. H4 basically just shoved a whole bunch of esoteric innovation in your face and asked you to click with it, while H5 is providing a way more digestible platform over a longer period of time that actually expects you to deviate it to play other games every once in a while. Structuring Halo content in a monolithic fashion as the original trilogy did doesn't work now that they aren't the only games keeping the console alive.

I'm 95% sure I heard a 343 dev, a big'un, saying 'games as service' recently. Might be wrong, but it makes sense.

Top Bottom