• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox Developing A Show Where A Black Cop Kills White Teenager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Can't even make this up...

Fox is set to explore race relations with Sanaa Lathan and writers Gina Prince-Bythewood and Reggie Rock Bythewood.

The network is developing an event series exploring race relations from the Beyond the Lights duo and set to star Lathan, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Sources say the network was impressed with the first script and has already ordered a series bible with an eye toward going to series.

The untitled drama examines the dangerous aftermath of a police shooting when an African-American cop kills a white teen in Tennessee. Lathan will play an expert investigator who digs into the case, alongside a special prosecutor sent to the town by the Department of Justice. The pair must navigate the media attention, public debate and the social unrest that comes with such a volatile case, as they seek justice before the divided town erupts in a race war.

More here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sanaa-lathan-star-fox-police-830002

This is going to be a controversial mess and will probably get really high ratings.

9hjs9Gd.gif

Loxley

I feel like the OP wants me to be outraged, but I'd rather wait to see the actual context of the events in the show to see how it's handled before I make sternly worded posts decrying the whole idea.

Kin5290

I don't know what you guys are getting worked up about! I'm sure that under Fox the show will be executed in 100% good taste and respect for all peoples.

JDSN

Banned
Who is exactly outraged by the way? The Op described this as controversial and that's it, why is people characterizing the response to this as outrage when none is seen.

It's Fox, so expectations are not exactly high. However, how crazy would it be if the show actually worked? Perhaps the shooting of the white teen is justified, but the cops entire life is derailed regardless because of his race and the race of the boy he shot. It could promote further discussion of the issue.

Either that, or the show could be set in a bizarre world where the shooting wasn't justified, but the cop gets off with no consequence. This could sort of parody existing structures in place with the races reversed.

I have serious doubts the show will be anything like this, but I would be very happy if it turned out at all like my idea.

Maridia

I'm happy that the folks behind Beyond the Lights are getting this opportunity. I suspect that it will be better than a politically charged one sentence summary conveys.

Given the current climate, based on what I know, purely from information in the OP, I'm gonna say this is in pretty bad taste.

However, I'm not willing to pull out my pitchfork until the show actually exists. Who knows if it'll even make it to air.

Joni

Is American Crime sensationalist cause this just sounds like Fox trying something like that
If the team behind American Crime tackled something like this, it could be amazing. John Ridley does however cause more trust than these writers.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think the idea is that the white people will freak out when the white teen dies but not care about the countless black teens that died before him. Maybe they'll think that the white teen was killed in retaliation. And then it turns out that the white teen actually deserved to get shot but the black guy has to go through all this crap. I think it's something along those lines. I don't know what else it could be about, tbh.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Could be interesting...but I don't really see how the show would work beyond one season...also don't Fox shows normally have 22 episode seasons? I don't feel like this will work well on this channel. If it was something like cable show in the realm of True Detective(S1) or American Horror Story where they do something like this each season, it could be good...actually that just reminds that American Crime Story is coming out next year...this show won't work on Fox I think.

grimmiq

My guess:

White Teen is actually being threatening to Black Cop.
Black Cop shoots and kills White Teen.
Media Circus.
White Teen has wealthy parents, Black Cop had a criminal father.
Black Cop finds he's been pushed outside the Blue Wall.
White Cop kills Black Teen who wasn't threatening.

Series ends with White Cop on paid leave, Black Cop in prison.

The only way this would work is if they just straight lift what happened to a white cop killing a black kid and the races are flipped for the show of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom