• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New, All Different Marvel | OT | A New 52+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm 38, son. I grew tired of this look back when Joe Mad was doing X-Men in the 90s.

Ok at least you also dont like Joe Mad, fair enough.

You still suck tho

I've read Point One and Iron Man, there's some interesting stuff I'm looking forward to, but unsurprisingly it looks as All New All Different as every status quo change we've had every two years. That reboot LOL.

I'm really curious to see how Secret Wars ends, beyond "good guys win and the multiverse is restored", particularly in light of Iron Man #1.

anaron

lmao, I can't believe they're still going with that Spider-Woman cover.

anyhoo, definitely getting:

U L T I M A T E S

Black Widow

Black Panther

Mockingbird

Silk

Ms.Marvel

ANAD Inhumans

Scarlet Witch

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt know Del Mundo was doing Weirdworld, I thought he was just doing Chewbacca. Thats awesome, dude is a beast (my favorite artist right now along with bachalo)

Slayven

I've read Point One and Iron Man, there's some interesting stuff I'm looking forward to, but unsurprisingly it looks as All New All Different as every status quo change we've had every two years. That reboot LOL.

I'm really curious to see how Secret Wars ends, beyond "good guys win and the multiverse is restored", particularly in light of Iron Man #1.

Only fools said it was going to be a reboot.

Veelk

Banned
So do I need to know any previous backstory to this 'reboot'? Because some of those titles are out now. Are these number 1's an actual new story, or continuation of whats going on already?

Ultimates, the grown ass man team

Has potential, don't get cancelled, Black Knight

Real ass Black Panther

Where the fuck is #Cyclopswasright in these X-books

these are the books I'm feeling right now

So do I need to know any previous backstory to this 'reboot'? Because some of those titles are out now. Are these number 1's an actual new story, or continuation of whats going on already?

Everything in comics is in continuity until it's not. They've been reintroduced as #1s because they're meant to be jumping-on points, even if there's some dangling bits of backstory

No better time to hop onto a series that looks good than now

(Except when they'll be rebooted as another #1 in a couple years or sooner)

Veelk

Banned
Everything in comics is in continuity until it's not. They've been reintroduced as #1s because they're meant to be jumping-on points, even if there's some dangling bits of backstory

No better time to hop onto a series that looks good than now

(Except when they'll be rebooted as another #1 in a couple years or sooner)

That's essentially what I was asking.

People ragged on DC's new 52, and rightfully so because a lot of their books were flat out bad for a long time (which I don't feel is the case now), but I was literally the exact sort of person they wanted because the new 52 is what made me a comics reader. Hopefully, the same process will happen with Marvel.

This is the time to jump in. You shouldn't have to read any previous stuff for these titles.

Btw guys, Squirrel Girl is coming back omg

Rhaknar

Real ass Black Panther

Uncanny X-men is about looking for Cylops so its #Cyclopsismissing as a plot point and not just because hes not in any book
like Gambit

Just read Amazing Spider-Man, I'm feeling Amazing too much as the setting didn't really do it for me. Still there's a couple of interesting things
Scorcher as a Spidey stand in isn't a bad idea but the jokes were embarrassing. Regent making it from Renew Your Vows has me interested, as I actually liked Renew.
I didn't care for Robot Ock though.
And yeah, the art didn't do it for me. It's not on Ramos levels but it's a style I don't like very much.

OTOH, the previews made me want to check WebWarriors and Spider-Woman.

Only fools said it was going to be a reboot.
Of course. I'm just petty enough to rub it in.

It magically grows when she turns since she's bald from her cancer.

Bet you feel like shit now for that little quip dont you Voli :p

Not in this relaunch no. Thing is off in space in the Guardians of the Galaxy book and Human Torch is porking Medusa in Inhumans. Reed and Sue seem to be MIA after Secret Wars

Explain to me what happened for torch to be porking medusa.

Real ass Black Panther

He's missing in action. He's probably got plans. Old rumors had the X-Men being shunted off to a new planet. Seems possible with this new status quo.

Uncanny X-men is about looking for Cylops so its #Cyclopsismissing as a plot point and not just because hes not in any book
like Gambit

Has that been confirmed?> Haven't found anything about it in interviews.

Black Bolt was running around with his Illuminati bros and tried to come back home.

Medusa wasn't having it.

Rhaknar

Redheads

Also Blackbolt fucked a horse. I bet Meduasa wasnt happy about it.

5wives.gif

Has that been confirmed?> Haven't found anything about it in interviews.

Pretty sure I read thats the focus of the team

It's set in an alternate universe, which continues following the Secret Wars tie-in.
As you can guess, it's based on the TV series from 1992, with a similar feel (including censorship).

I love how all this is post-SW and SW isn't even fucking done yet.

Keep up the great marketing decisions, Comics.

Sandfox

Spider-Man guys...

slott just keeps on giving when you think he doesn't have it anymore

Slott has always been a good idea man, but the last volume has full of bad execution. Hopefully he can go back to quality of his first run and this first issue was a good start in my eyes.

limited run tie ends are one thing, ongoing is another.
I'm expecting '92 to be a big seller.

This is due to delays for whatever reason. This doesn't seem to be affecting Marvel's marketing though lol.

BSherrod

So, for the people that have read Invincible Iron Man is the supposed spoiler to Secret Wars that bad? I want to give it a read, but I'm enjoying Secret Wars too much to have it spoiled.

Sandfox

So, for the people that have read Invincible Iron Man is the supposed spoiler to Secret Wars that bad? I want to give it a read, but I'm enjoying Secret Wars too much to have it spoiled.

Its hard to say when we don't know how Secret Wars ends, but I think it will be hard to go unspoiled until December, especially with the teases Alonso and Bendis have been making about a second ongoing based on the spoiler.

If you're reading the All-New, All-Different Marvel titles, you aren't going unspoiled for long.

The Iron Man one is a pretty big indicator of the new status quo, but it doesn't directly out the Secret Wars ending any more than a new Amazing Spider-Man or Dr. Strange title does. Which is to say,
most of the Marvel Universe has returned intact with a few stowaways.

Hell, Old Man Logan #5 (the ending of that mini) jumps straight from before the end of Secret Wars to post-Secret Wars.

To be fair, SW was supposed to be over or reaching its end by now. The SW delays put them in a position where I don't really see what they could have done, with most SW tie-ins being over, they couldn't really stop releasing books for months.

It's a pretty big spoiler but it doesn't really inform how things will go down. As an avid Secret Wars reader, it made me go "oh shit" but honestly, I don't mind that much considering anything can still happen in SW.
I mean, the universe is still splintered to hell in SW and yet we know that on the other side of this, we'll essentially be back to 616, so there's going to be a massive deus ex machina at some point.

Hell, Old Man Logan #5 (the ending of that mini) jumps straight from before the end of Secret Wars to post-Secret Wars.
Yeah, OML made me scratch my head a bit. Bendis resolved it by jumping over the SW ending. Seeing his Ultimate End version of 616 reminded me we still need a conclusion to his Uncanny X-Men run, I don't get why #600 has been delayed so much or how it would be dependent on Secret Wars.

Dalek

Old Man Logan was great and had an emotionally satisfying ending. This was written by Good Bendis, and not the Bad Bendis who is currently gracing us with Ultimate End.

BSherrod

I just read Avengers #0 and caught a spoiler, so I might as well go all in on these titles I'm interested in. I have so many books in my backlog to catch up on, too. Still need to finish Bendis' run across the Avengers books, I had made it up to Dark Reign and skipped ahead to the Hickman stuff to scratch my Secret Wars itch.

Ri'Orius

Wait, is that
Kitty Pryde
in both
Guardians of the Galaxy
and
All New X-Men
? How does that work? It's hard enough suspending disbelief when they put Wolverine on X-Men and Avengers...

Old Man Logan was great and had an emotionally satisfying ending. This was written by Good Bendis, and not the Bad Bendis who is currently gracing us with Ultimate End.

I'm starting to think that Bendis doesn't really exist, it's just a pen-name Marvel gives to their favorite intern that year

Definitely. Regardless of continuity shenanigans, a good story is a good story and this was one. Sorrentino's gorgeous pages helped a lot with that emotional impact though. He's probably my favorite current Marvel artist.

I'm starting to think that Bendis doesn't really exist, it's just a pen-name Marvel gives to their favorite intern that year
I think there's a pattern to his writing. Essentially, he's better with street level and single characters.

Sandfox

Wait, is that
Kitty Pryde
in both
Guardians of the Galaxy
and
All New X-Men
? How does that work? It's hard enough suspending disbelief when they put Wolverine on X-Men and Avengers...

Kitty isn't on the All-New X-Men team.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was pretty pumped for Ultimates until reading Avengers 0.

If that's the kind of shit we can expect... yikes.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
What a useless event this was. Basically just made me wait for a few months without reading my favourite comics while coming back to about the same thing.

I'll be reading:
(Ultimate) Spider-man
Ms. Marvel
Ant-man (Odd that the cover seems so serious)
Maybe Squirrel-girl? I love Ryan North's Dinosaur Comics but I couldn't get into Squirrel-girl because of the art and the humour was a bit too much.
Maybe Guardians. Is this by the good Bendis?

Shame about Miles & Kamala being in the Avengers. I'd rather they keep them separate and just let them do their own shit for a while. These poor newcomers can't spend three issues without a crossover.

ZiZ

I want to get back into comics, I've been away for so long, and I was thinking this is my chance to jump back in.

how's Marvel Unlimited? will it cover all the new marvel comics?

Busaiku

I want to get back into comics, I've been away for so long, and I was thinking this is my chance to jump back in.

how's Marvel Unlimited? will it cover all the new marvel comics?
Unfortunately, it only puts up issues 6 months after their initial release.
Great if you're interested in the histories of everything, but not if you want to stay current.

I think there's a pattern to his writing. Essentially, he's better with street level and single characters.

There definitely are some Bendis-specific reoccurring tropes, but damn his writing swings so far from one direction to the next quality-wise. Maybe I notice it more with him than other writers because he's so high-profile

I actually met the guy and shook his hand. Are you telling me I shook hands with some kind of phantom?

Your words, not mine

Can anyone sums up what happened in Marvel's last year or so?

All Universes in Marvel got fused together and now there is a sort of reboot and everything will be defused after for another reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom