• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

Tagyhag

One giant step towards WiiU preservation.

At least Nintendo has been great in regards to BC so there was no sense of urgency.

roytheone

the 3ds emulator is progressing rapidly, the 360 emulator is making progress, and now this! It is a pretty good time to be an emulator enthusiastic.

Pokemaniac

Not possible unless they are actually distributing BIOS code within the emulator.

They could run into trouble with the Wii U's standard libraries. Those are actually on the console this time, rather than on each individual disc. Aside from maybe one or two of them, which I'm pretty sure are just open source libraries that they ported to Wii U, redistributing those would likely violate the license.

Robin64

Huh? Almost every console emulator only outputs a scaled image from the system's original resolution. It's only specific recent ones that have the ability to raise the internal rendering resolution, and that's something that came later in most cases.

I can't think of a 3D based one that doesn't..

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm actually really happy with my Wii U (native + Wii + GC libraries!), but this looks pretty sweet. I only hope it doesn't lead to massive piracy... although the Wii U as it is is pretty much dead on the water.

DaC1IRZ.gif

Now we wait for optimization.

jts

...hate me...
What’s the long term goal for gamepad support? A smartphone duct taped to a controller?

Aeana

I can't think of a 3D based one that doesn't..

Most PSX emulators (the exceptions are the OpenGL/D3D plugins for ePSXe/PCSX, which admittedly is what a lot of people use), SSF, Desmume until it recently got a fork that does include an internal resolution setting, no$gba (DS games).

This emulator, if it gets far enough along, will probably have the option. It just doesn't yet.

Rich!

What’s the long term goal for gamepad support? A smartphone duct taped to a controller?

...a Wii U Gamepad. Something like a N3DS would work fine too via honebrew. Also, mobiles and the next Nintendo handheld whenever it's exploited.

Is that WiiU emulation before PS3 or 360?

Before PS3 or OG Xbox, not 360.

EDIT: shit there's an xbox emu now?

They could run into trouble with the Wii U's standard libraries. Those are actually on the console this time, rather than on each individual disc. Aside from maybe one or two of them, which I'm pretty sure are just open source libraries that they ported to Wii U, redistributing those would likely violate the license.

As long as they can come up with a way for people to rip them, they'll just ship without them and nominally tell people to extract those libraries themselves, pretty much how BIOSes work with many emus today.

Rich!

And Wii U homebrew is going nowhere at the moment (。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。).

Nowhere? Theres a fully working backup loader for the Wii U, kernel exploits, firmware spoofing and I have a nifty hack installed on my console that lets me use a GameCube pad as a Pro Controller (ie. It works in Wind Waker HD).

Steel

Banned
I expected this to take slightly longer. Hell, I at least expected the 3ds emulator to be in full working order before we even saw a wii u emulator.

Shun

Nowhere? Theres a fully working backup loader for the Wii U, kernel exploits, firmware spoofing and I have a nifty hack installed on my console that lets me use a GameCube pad as a Pro Controller (ie. It works in Wind Waker HD).

WAIT WHAT. I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM WII U JUST VITA.

There's seriously a native Wii U exploit that will let me run my discs off backup now!?

You're telling me it's no longer just vWii? Any large restrictions on it like firmware or being stupid hard like early Wii IOS?

I need to get on this now if it's feasible and easy to do while maintaining current firmware...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Before PS3 or OG Xbox, not 360.

EDIT: shit there's an xbox emu now?

As long as they can come up with a way for people to rip them, they'll just ship without them and nominally tell people to extract those libraries themselves, pretty much how BIOSes work with many emus today.

There is a PS3 emulator too so OG Xbox is the odd one out here.

pants

RE code licence, closed source is probably not the way to go, if I wanted to work on something of this nature alone, i'd make it open source but be the only person with commit rights to the repo and I would let people branch freely to do whatever the fuck they wanted.

Rich!

WAIT WHAT. I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM WII U JUST VITA.

There's seriously a native Wii U exploit that will let me run my discs off backup now!?

You're telling me it's no longer just vWii? Any large restrictions on it like firmware or being stupid hard like early Wii IOS?

I need to get on this now if it's feasible and easy to do while maintaining current firmware...

5.3.2 only. If you are on that, then yes its possible.

And yes, its native via a WebKit exploit. Early stages now though.

Harpuia

That's the smart way to do it. Never talk about it, just release that shit.

I bet this really takes a hit on how fast they can update and bug-fix. Alas, we can't have our cake and eat it too. :( It's most likely a very small team, given the clandestine nature this seems to have.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear that this is being worked on. The Wii U is definitely one of the platforms most prone to not receiving official backwards compatibility going forward due to the gamepad.

PokéKong

I'm much more anxiously awaiting a 3DS emulator that let's me upscale and play games like Uprising comfortably with a controller. I can't wait to see how pretty a lot of those games are under them huge pixels.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So this won't read standard WiiU disks. Is that correct?

Rich!

I see we have a time traveller in this thread.

He's right.

Nintendo may support it somehow, but the Wii U has far more to work around than any previous Nintendo console in terms of BC.

Firstly, they need a replacement or alternative for the gamepad. Issue is that they aren't sold separately. That's a big one.

Top Bottom