• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starwars Battlefront doesn't have voice chat on console either

Turkoop

Banned
Better than when you join a game and hearing a 9-year old children crying and saying things like these: BOOM HEADSHOT, I AM THE MASTER OF QUICKSCOPES, F*** YOUR MODDA ..

Trojan

I only use party chat anyway. I think people have learned over time that public voice chat seemed like a good idea until they realize the type of person that is usually on the other end of the mic in public chat.

epmode

hey so

there are system-level parties for chat

i dont understand the moaning in this tread

Be honest. You know why people are moaning. Teams often include people that aren't in your party. Now there's no way to talk to them. It may not bother you but don't say you don't get it.

Nintendo gets endless shit for doing the same thing, and rightfully so.

gossi

Just another reason to jump on the EA / Battlefront hate train.

Most of these people probably never talk in games or had no intention of buying the game.

Choo Choo.

Uh, I posted the thread and I've got it preordered and posted earlier saying I loved the beta.

I also like me some voicechat with randoms. All my Xbox Live friends (120+) have been found through random voice chat in games.

Head.spawn

I didn't even notice....

Because I was in a party and not in the mood to hear 16 people call me a ni**** or fa**** for stealing their kill or not being where they think I should be.

Be honest. You know why people are moaning. Teams often include people that aren't in your party. Now there's no way to talk to them. It may not bother you but don't say you don't get it.

Nintendo gets endless shit for doing the same thing, and rightfully so.

Well, you could add them to your party.

Does Nintendo even have a party chat system? Legit question.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the one hand I think this is always a bad move for team focused MP games but on the other I've only ever heard a handful of people talking publicly on PSN so it would probably be a waste of resources to put it in. Curious to see what people on other platforms think.

Boke1879

I'm just going to party up with people on GAF anyway but they really need to have some sort of in game chat. Especially for objective based modes.

Grimsen

It's better this way. No potty-mouthed kids, amateur DJs, sore losers, etc.

If I want to squad up, I'll do it with friends and the system chat.

Jito

Banned
Uh, I posted the thread and I've got it preordered and posted earlier saying I loved the beta.

I also like me some voicechat with randoms. All my Xbox Live friends (120+) have been found through random voice chat in games.

Well you're clearly the outliner if it's not a feature in the game.

cjp

hey so

there are system-level parties for chat

i dont understand the moaning in this tread

Because in game chat (without having to use system party chat) is a great way to talk and meet new people every match.

Shit, it doesn't even have to be about the game itself, I've got into loads of random, interesting conversations with people all over the world by just randomly talking to others.

Plus you can still have a semblance of organisation without having to party with a group of a friends for every game.

And pretty much most multilayer games have always had this feature...so why not support it?

Kinyou

It's not like the stormtroopers ever coordinated any shit in the movies.

But seriously, kind of a weird choice

I wonder how many ppl use in game voice chat these days

it seems like that trend grew, and faded with the 360

Besides games like Socom, ps3 barely had anyone using mics

Tagyhag

Uh well that's weird, I understand on PC but I would have assumed it'd be on consoles considering every system cause with a mic so every mainstream user can just openly talk.

But the less teenagers you hear, the better.

Vaga

Good. Nothing more annoying than kids and dumbasses screaming, singing and what not while I'm frantically looking for the mute all switch.

I never voice chat in games. I get that some people love it, but it's mostly kids talking tough and swearing/using foul language.

Are you really going to miss it? Battlefront is the ultimate arcade multiplayer game. I think it will be ok.

Why would you even need voice chat? Just use the force. Are you stupid?

Also this

Do the Battlefield games or similar high player count games have in-game chat? I'm guessing so, but it seems like it'd be extremely chaotic having up to 20 people in the same chat channel.

Boke1879

I didn't even notice....

Because I was in a party and not in the mood to hear 16 people call me a ni**** or fa**** for stealing their kill or not being where they think I should be.

I can see this also. It would be a clusterfuck in Walker Assault with 20 people literally yelling and talking.

Still think there should be the option. Mute option would be there for a reason.

Xater

Do the Battlefield games or similar high player count games have in-game chat? I'm guessing so, but it seems like it'd be extremely chaotic having up to 20 people in the same chat channel.

Battlefield has fireteams. You can talk to anyone in your fireteam of 5 players.

gossi

Battlefield 3, 4 and Hardline have voice chat with your squad.

My guess would be DICE wanted to free CPU resources. Plus Battlefront only has 2 player squads.

pmj

From http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/go-on-a-droid-run-in-star-wars-battlefront

So, in tight and fast 6-versus-6 matches, your objective is to capture and hold all the three Droids before the 10-minute time limit is up. You’ll get help from weapon pickups but Heroes, Villains, and vehicles won’t be joining the run. Communication is vital, so let your teammates know if you've spotted a Droid somewhere, how to find it, and if there are enemy forces nearby.

Planned feature that was cut for some reason?

Fbh

I only use OS party chat but this is still kinda weird. Specially when you have game modes like Walker Assault where the Rebels have to work as a team to win.

see5harp

On the one hand I think this is always a bad move for team focused MP games but on the other I've only ever heard a handful of people talking publicly on PSN so it would probably be a waste of resources to put it in. Curious to see what people on other platforms think.

I think people who have experience with party chat last gen understand that there are good things and bad things with the feature. If you are playing with a small group of friends it's fine, but if there's only a couple of you, it's nice to be able to communicate with the larger group. Also in games that have an indicator to show you who is talking, party chat can sometimes give you a disadvantage.

sant

The fact that it took until the very last day of the beta (it was even extended) for this news to break speaks to the fact that very few people care about in game voice chat.

Jito

Banned
As far as I know it's the only console FPS multiplayer game to not feature voice chat.

Yeh you're right. I doubt they made this decision on a whim though, they've probably notice the same trend that everyone else has, no one talks in games anymore.

Vena

Man, Splatoon was more successful than I thought. Now they're even trying to ape its lack of online features.

Atwa

Banned
I don't see why this is a big deal.

Its an extremely low barrier to entry shooter. That never will be competitive in the slightest.

Plus 1 for general or team voice chat sucking. We have enough games where you have to disable it on a case by case basis.

It's just people's speakers or static or loud bullshit or conversation from the other room.

Top Bottom