• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5 Review Thread

Things aren't looking as hot as I was hoping.

The Jimquisition - 5/10

Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water is a game of overwhelming possibility that falls short in every single way. After a great opening and some promising early chapters, it swiftly becomes a charmless and calculable game that squanders all its good ideas on repetition with a total lack of narrative or interactive ambition. It finds its one speed early on and sticks with it, refusing to ramp up the tension or vary the circumstances.

It is almost perfect in its mediocrity.

VideoGamer - 7/10

Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water is an old-school horror game with a dash of something new. If you're bored of relentless jump scares and would rather feel the same way you do when you catch the reflection of the fridge light in the glass of your back door, momentarily, irrationally believing something is about to get you, you'll probably get a nice kick out of this paranormal adventure.

IGN - 7/10

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is a disturbing tale well told. While the GamePad brings the series’ camera-as-a-weapon concept to life in a way that feels very natural, the combat lacks real mechanical variety, which, combined with overly repetitive encounters, undermines the impact of its most terrifying enemies. Fortunately, there’s an abundance of darkness to be found, with some of the most unsettling and stylish scares I’ve experienced in a while.

GamesRadar - 3/5

Enjoyable combat and bold enemy design can't save Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water. With a dull, repetitive story that abandons any sense of horror, it's a shadow of what it could have been.

Gamespot - 5/10

With too much out of sync--from wildly variable handling to the way you use items to the unconvincing character relationships--Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water isn't anything more than a mediocre experience.

Game Informer - 5.5

Some horror games skillfully wield repetition as a tool, letting players grow accustomed to the familiar to set up scares both subtle and cuss-worthy. Unfortunately, Maiden of the Black Water is waterlogged with repeated environments and monotonous phantasmagorical photo sessions.

Destructoid - 4/10

If this what Fatal Frame is now, I don't want it anymore.

NintendoLife - 7
Gamexplain - "Liked It"
Nintendo World Report - 8.5

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
very surprised by his score. It is the second best FF to me after the 4th episode. I'm scoring it way higher. it has some flaws, but the overall experience if very very good to me.

So possibly I could get my fill from the trial chapters NoE are going to put up, well that would save some cash.

edit: The conclusion to the Destructoid review stands out to me
Nintendo seemed hesitant to bring Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water overseas, and I'm sure they'll be monitoring how it sells to gauge interest. Twelve-year-old me would be upset with this review, and he'd blame that asshole Zack Furniss for condemning the series to death with a damning review. He'd be in the comments below telling me that I wasn't playing it right, or that it wasn't my type of game. All I would have to say to him is this:

If this what Fatal Frame is now, I don't want it anymore.

JoeM86

Friend's site: Nintendo Insider - 7/10

Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water presents another horrifying and, in places, graphic tale that is let down by outdated design choices in places. Another perfect demonstration in putting the Wii U GamePad to work, this is a haunting ride that genre fans shouldn't be without, with dread awaiting you around every corner...

Astarte

I heard that the new game was mediocre but geez. I'll be buying the game anyway to support the new age of digital gaming :V
nintendo why

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Seems I should stick to finally playing FF2 or 3 on PS2 classics instead, neither of which I played and are supposedly fantastic sequels.

Effect

Sounds like I'm waiting on a discount for this one.
No need. The game is free to start. You can play the prologue and first chapter I think for free and come to your own opinion on the game. This a game where it seems you likely need to decide for yourself if you'd like it and Nintendo has made that possible. That reminder should be added to the opening post I think.

Astarte

I mean if he gave it a 5/10 that means it's as good as Vanquish right

(no I am never going to let that go)

Jim's an unusual dude. He shit on Vanquish and Mario Kart 7, but he adores Musou games and Deadly Premonition. I love me some Musou and Deadly Premonition so I'm fine with it.

Dremark

Banned
Nintendo apparently did me a favor by making it digital only so I wouldn't buy it. Please do this all your subpar games in the future as well.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yikes. Lower than I was expecting. Still holding on hope though. Alien: Isolation was phenomenal and many publications raked it over the coals...Maybe the same thing happened here? I dunno.

This definitely seems like a hit or miss title for most people.

Unfortunately the sad reality of it is that in "gamers" eyes a 7/10 is an absolute abomination, financial fiasco, and all around disaster that must be purged with fire!

When in reality the average score makes it seem like an solid "good" title.

No need. The game is free to start. You can play the prologue and first chapter I think for free and come to your own opinion on the game. This a game where it seems you likely need to decide for yourself if you'd like it and Nintendo has made that possible. That reminder should be added to the opening post I think.

sounds like it starts strong but doesn't follow through? bait-and-switch tactic?

Dsyndrome

Is it like the older Fatal Frames and they're just not into the gameplay anymore, or is this flawed fundamentally? Unfortunately don't have time to delve into the reviews until tonight. If it's the former, I'm ok with that.

Top Bottom