• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should order 1886 get a sequel?

jdstorm

Banned
Sure. It has a unique world, and I'm sure everyone who worked on it has a few ideas on how they'd make things better if given a second go. Why not.

Get creative with the sequel. Throw all the weirdest ideas you have at it and see what sticks.

My weirdest idea
The Order Reimagined as a rock opera. Released in an episodic format. You and up to 3 friends could team up to play as the Knights of legend. The whole game would be a giant QTE Rythm game where the buttons you would have to press would be generated by enemy AI based on how they were attacking you. Throw in 1 or 2 scripted musical set pieces with some epicly cheesy origional songs. Rock Band/Guitar hero controller and microphone support and go from there.

Nerix

I thik we had several similar threads, the tenor was always 'yes'. I think so too, the first title is definitely a great foundation (especially the setting / art design / engine).

Cracklox

Ima say yes. The setting was interesting and obv the tech at work is amazing. I think I've said it before elsewhere, but in a way it reminds me of assassins creed 1, just cause 1 or uncharted 1(and a few others that escape me) last gen. Interesting ideas basically presented as tech demos, that were allowed another chance. And we know what happened to AC 2 and UC 2. To a lesser extent JC2, but I friggin love that game anyway

Despite how I feel about it, I'm pretty sure it's doomed tho :( Too much negative press and word of mouth has done too much damage

Yes. Galahad is a great protagonist and the one time when you start to give a fuck about what is going on is literally the last scene. There is a foundation for a good to great game in there.

KORNdoggy

i think yes. it wasn't the best game ever, but i did enjoy it for what it was. it was just a bit shite that it was so clearly unresolved.

doubt we'll get a sequel though, not unless someone can step up and make something more appealing to the masses.

nib95

Banned
Well sure, if a game was better, it would do better critically and arguably commercially. But the fact is, The Order 1886 has bad enemy encounters/scenarios, a bad story, bad boss fights, and aside from graphics, is completely and utterly subpar. This team was given money and quite a bit of time to make a successful game, and they failed. Which is why they shouldn't get the chance to make a sequel. They were given a ton of resources and didn't succeed at anything outside of visuals.

Playing Uncharted 4, and seeing what a game like The Order should have been only reinforces this.

I listed three specific things I thought would improve the game. I also don't agree that all enemy encounters or scenarios were bad. Some were great I thought, such as the airship ballroom, the underground catacombs etc. And comparing to UC4 is pretty pointless because UC4 is pretty much the pinnacle of the genre. Not every game has to be genre defining or the absolute best in its class in order to exist or be enjoyed.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hmmm. I believe so. The groundwork for a stellar game is already there, it just needs some fine tuning. Honestly, I have never played the game (yet) but the world seems so well realized and it'd be a shame to just have that engine go to waste. I think RaD played it too safe, they should've looked to Insomniac for inspiration regarding weapons and Capcom/From Software for creature design. I think of the studios that Sony currently has active, Bend would be the best fit beyond ND, who would see overtaking a failed game as beneath them. Bend has the experience with crafting 3rd person, cover based shooters and I trust them to make unique weapons that seize the alternative era the game is set in. I would like to see plenty of vampires, werewolves, hybrids and other creatures of folklore by the droves in an action packed sequel.

NXGamer

I listed three specific things I thought would improve the game. I also don't agree that all enemy encounters or scenarios were bad. Some were great I thought, such as the airship ballroom, the underground catacombs etc. And comparing to UC4 is pretty pointless because UC4 is pretty much the pinnacle of the genre. Not every game has to be genre defining or the absolute best in its class in order to exist or be enjoyed.

Amen brother...amen, love this game and team are legends

love-you-bro-o.gif

Should a commercial and critical failure get a sequel because the completely underused super unexplained vague setting has "potential"?

No. If it ever got one it needs to be given to devs with actual ideas. The Order is like an example of just complete AAA design apathy in my eyes, like they had absolutely no love for game design what so ever.

Does anyone care about TPSs any more?

I feel like they would if devs making them actually gave a shit and stopped making Gears of War clones. You can make a shooter without constantly forcing the player behind chest high walls to regenerate their health while boring enemies do the same shit you've seen 10 billion times.

Its a very good story, interesting characters, art direction, lots to like. I'd love a sequel that ups the pace of the game a bit but manages to hold onto the style and high production values of the original.

Greddleok

I feel like they would if devs making them actually gave a shit and stopped making Gears of War clones. You can make a shooter without constantly forcing the player behind chest high walls to regenerate their health while boring enemies do the same shit you've seen 10 billion times.

Very good point. I know I've not played a TPS since Gears 2. Had enough after that.

Duxxy3

I love the setting and the world. The characters were decent. Story was OK. Graphics were incredible.

But the actual game part... was awful. I think that RAD would be better off making a game that relies more on gameplay for their next game, whatever it happens to be.

valkyre

it should get a sequel but it should be a vastly different game than what the first one was to make me interested in it.

Yes, absolutely. The story and characters have a ton of potential if given the right time, direction, and treatment, especially with that amazing engine that RAD built. But it won't happen because Sony won't take a another costly risk on a title the didn't do well at retailers.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Whether we want it or not looking at the sales numbers, cost, negative reception and all. It was a mistake Sony is not repeating.

Leeness

Finishing up this game and I like the characters and setting but I hate the firefights so much. I'm on one of the last ones and the armoured guys who have one/two shot kill weapons but take 15-20 revolver shots to take down make me want to scream. I just rage quit the game for now because I died repeatedly when I got cornered with no ammo because I just wasted all my ammo and the armoured guys still weren't dead.

Hate it so much. The regular fights are fine, the stealth is fine (though getting seen = death is annoying), but the fights where they break out the practically invincible armoured guys make me want to throw my controller across the room.

[/rant]

Sydle

To see more of the universe and build on the lore, yes. However it wasn't very much fun, so I wouldn't go anywhere near a sequel with the same design principles of the heavy narrative, narrow corridors, and often mediocre enemy encounters.

Shouldn't it get a full game first?

lol

Finishing up this game and I like the characters and setting but I hate the firefights so much. I'm on one of the last ones and the armoured guys who have one/two shot kill weapons but take 15-20 revolver shots to take down make me want to scream. I just rage quit the game for now because I died repeatedly when I got cornered with no ammo because I just wasted all my ammo and the armoured guys still weren't dead.

Hate it so much. The regular fights are fine, the stealth is fine (though getting seen = death is annoying), but the fights where they break out the practically invincible armoured guys make me want to throw my controller across the room.

[/rant]

Mmm sounds like you're at the very last battle of the game. :O

To see more of the universe and build on the lore, yes. However it wasn't very much fun, so I wouldn't go anywhere near a sequel with the same design principles of the heavy narrative, narrow corridors, and often mediocre enemy encounters.

To be honest, the game only needed better encounter design, gameplay was fine but they did nothing interesting with it, just challenges from the late 90's. Story was a little too conventional but with great writting and character development, besides the set up for the sequel was already more thrilling than the story in its own game.
Just much much better encounters and supernatural enemies and the game could have been much more.

Top Bottom