• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q4 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterno69

Banned
@ alterno, love the colors in that last wedding photo. What's causing the large light bokeh/blur on either side of her head? Some kind of trickery?

A couple of wine glass, one on each side of the lens which is a 50mm at 1.4, there was a table in between the bride and i. In the original image the reflections are yellow/orange but i used a mask and changed the temperature and tone to make it look that way.

brerwolfe

Well, let's also keep in mind this is a 16mm on a full frame, where the effects of handshake will already be heavily reduced just by the lens and sensor.
Not saying that isn't impressive! Just saying no one should expect a 50mm on a crop sensor to get 20s handheld shots to look like that haha.

I completely agree with every part of that statement. I was just showing an example of what COULD happen with no IS. It was a special circumstance with equipment not everyone will have. The basic takeaway for Jaded is that a faster shutter speed will minimize the effect of camera shake.

Well, let's also keep in mind this is a 16mm on a full frame, where the effects of handshake will already be heavily reduced just by the lens and sensor.
Not saying that isn't impressive! Just saying no one should expect a 50mm on a crop sensor to get 20s handheld shots to look like that haha.
Holy shit, I just noticed this, I'd never get this kind of shot done on my camera. I never knew full frames compensate for shake a lot more than crop sensors did.
I completely agree with every part of that statement. I was just showing an example of what COULD happen with no IS. It was a special circumstance with equipment not everyone will have. The basic takeaway for Jaded is that a faster shutter speed will minimize the effect of camera shake.
Still need to get better at holding but lesson learned it's going to take some practice.

Holy shit, I just noticed this, I'd never get this kind of shot done on my camera. I never knew full frames compensate for shake a lot more than crop sensors did.

Still need to get better at holding but lesson learned it's going to take some practice.

A full frame doesn't have any special "anti shake" characteristics about it, it's just that it makes an already wide lens, wider -- you could get the same result using a 12mm lens.

Mr. Hyde

Me too! Well, for the last 20 years. My wife and I just built a house in Clermont and moved out from Metrowest two months ago.

Oh nice! Clermont has some cool areas to shoot when I need open space to play around in without many people in the area. I am stuck in the millenia mall area at the moment.

Mr. Hyde

Nice work Mr Hyde, lovely pics. Are you working with artificial light in the first two images? Lovely setup.

Here are some from my last wedding on saturday, lovely couple, i´ve been incorporating a speedlight+soft box to my sessions and i'm really liking the results. I had been working only with available light before and i realized you can't just hope the light works everytime.

Madre e hija by Nobel Gomez, en Flickr

Los aun novios by Nobel Gomez, en Flickr

La novia by Nobel Gomez, en Flickr

La novia by Nobel Gomez, en Flickr

Those are good! Flash is tricky and can be difficult sometimes to get it perfect but it adds an awesome dynamic. And yep. The gas mask one was shot under a beauty umbrella at night on my in laws patio. The one of my wife and our pet rat was shot in my spare bedroom with one speed light shot through a softbox. I have my second flash coming this week. I work random hours so I don't always have a lot of time to work in natural light. I compensate by learning flash.

I appreciate that! I always second guess my work but I guess that's better than thinking I am perfect. It's a constant learning process that never ends.
It's nice to know that even skilled photographers feel like they're going through the learning phase.
Edit now buying the subscription plan to LightRoom.

Damaged

It's nice to know that even skilled photographers feel like they're going through the learning phase.

One of the things I love about photography is there you are always learning, you will never know it all

One of the things I love about photography is there you are always learning, you will never know it all
This makes me feel better about my dumb noob mistakes and annoyed at the same time, I guess it's an evolving craft. The way I had to get LightRoom to start working was fucking unorthodox to say the least. Yes it's legal and paid for.

Mr. Hyde

It's a constant state of learning that never ends. There's way more complicated shots I want to shoot that I can only visualize for the moment due to not having the technical know how to pull them off yet. I will learn, though. It's good to challenge yourself and never get stagnant with it. Find a focus for what you want to accomplish and just keep shooting and editing. Find photographers you love, look at their pictures and try to solve the puzzle on how they do it and what is the story of the photo. One of my favorite photographers is Von Wong. He always feels the same way about if he is doing the right thing or if it's good enough. Yet, he travels the world and has people from anywhere he is come to his beckoning call to help out due to his vision and passion. Any creative person is going to question his skill until the day he dies. :) It helps us get better.

And good! The lightroom/photoshop deal is the best plan if you use them religiously. Make sure you get into a good organizing routine in lightroom or you'll feel swamped. The OCD side of me looks at my lightroom in disgust at the moment due to not having enough time to get it fully organized. There's also lot of awesome tutorials on the internet for learning lightroom.

I'm not OCD, just oddly driven. Regarding organization, I swear I only I can make sense of my work logic, hopefully I can find something that works for me.

Mr. Hyde

I'm not OCD, just oddly driven. Regarding organization, I swear I only I can make sense of my work logic, hopefully I can find something that works for me.

Well, OCD as in the clutter in my Lightroom catalog.

It's good to be driven! I think about photography all the time now so it's all I have been doing with my free time the past two months since getting back into it. Shooting, reading, watching tutorials and behind the scenes of shoots, talking to photographers, and anything related to the field. It keeps me pushing myself.

I don't see a lot of food photography posted here, if I were to focus on that how do I do it without my pictures coming out as instagram rejects?

dhlt25

I don't see a lot of food photography posted here, if I were to focus on that how do I do it without my pictures coming out as instagram rejects?

you will want a relatively short macro lens, 55 or 60mm. Lighting is very important to make stuff looks appetizing. Brush up stuff with oil to give it the shine. There're tons of other tricks to it too although I'm not too familiar with them.

B&H Photo has some really great instructional videos and seminars available on youtube that cover a wide range of photographic interests. I haven't gotten into food photography (yet), so I haven't fully watched this particular video myself, but it might be a good place for you to start. In general, I really recommend B&H videos highly, I've learned a lot from them.

Food Photography: Lighting and Compositional Basics

Mr. Hyde

Munster by Tony F, on Flickr

My longest edit, so far, that I did yesterday morning before work. It was my first time using a sample and painting method for skin editing. There are parts I am not fully satisfied with but I am hoping I get better at doing this as I go along. I am a complete novice at it.

On a different note, I am so annoyed that my second Yongnuo 560 III flash came in the mail broken. It did not flash and I heard a rattling inside the flash area. I am glad I bought it directly from B+H because I was lucky with the last one coming from a third party vendor on Amazon and still works (fingers crossed) perfectly since day one.

Mr. Hyde

Feels like it's been a while since I've posted. Got back from Japan about 2 weeks ago and started going through the pictures. I feel like my photography has taken a hit and has gotten worse (though it was never good before!). Here's the first few I've edited.

Not Our Train by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Riverside Artwork by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

House Keeping by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Contemplation by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Nice photos! I still haven't attempted to do a photo of rapid movement with my subject perfectly frozen. I love that stuff when it involves trains. I also thought, for a second, that the second photo was tilt shift. Very nice.

Mr. Hyde

Stratus by Tony F, on Flickr

This is another from my Halloween session that I just edited. I am really happy how this photo turned out. Outside of cropping and editing to black and white, it really did not need any other work.

Hey lucky, that's some very different stuff for you, I like it. nice job.

Thanks! I have the Canon MP-E 65 macro lens, and usually when I shoot with it I fully stop down to f/16 to maximize depth of field. For these flowers I experimented with shooting wide open at f/2.8, and then wound up being happiest with the ones taken at f/4 for just a bit more than minimal DOF.

Nice photos! I still haven't attempted to do a photo of rapid movement with my subject perfectly frozen. I love that stuff when it involves trains. I also thought, for a second, that the second photo was tilt shift. Very nice.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

I have some fairly old photos that I always thought I uploaded, but apparently never did.

1/1 Strike Freedom by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

1/1 RX-78-2 by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Undiscerning by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Etched in Sand by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

NysGAF

What's up with flickr. Everything, including my own photo stream, says, "_____ hasn't made any photos public yet" and wants me to go to my camera roll. Do I have to re-categorize all my photos now for some reason?

Edit: Guess it's a known issue.

thespot84

Does anyone have a strong opinion on mirrorless vs DSLR? Starting to think about replacing my Olympus 4/3s, so any new camera would be my only piece of kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom