• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Beast Gameplay and Screens

c0de

I agree with you too, but this is the closest we can get i guess, the harmony between colors, artstyle, music and atmosphere is still incomparable.
Just to make people understand what we are talking about here a comparison between the gazillion versions, when you will arrive to the amiga version you will understand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3b4h-MUjGo

Yes, Amiga is the definite version although I think the Master System version is still impressive considering the hardware.
Also I think it's funny to see all the different versions, especially the SNES is amazingly bad while the Genesis version scores for no particular reason. As if anyone cares about a high-score in a game only a few ever managed to beat...

My favorite is the "to the castle" track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MVAiRoseyk
Man it still gives me shivers, awesome.

it is by far the most recognizable track and is still as good and perfect for the game's setting as it always was.

I love it, it looks great, they don't make character design like this as main character nowadays, where we play as cool weird alien/monster/creature.

Art style is absolutely fantastic, would love to see a 3d rendition of this along with a PC release. Hard to find such nice looking 3d games, with grow home being the last one I remember.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
While I have a lot of respect for the original Shadow of the Beast series and its impact, I also recognize it as being incredibly flawed. A shining example of terrible game design (particularly in the second and third entries).
Beast 3 was an excellent game with really well crafted physical puzzles. So what if you had to repeat if you lose all the lives? Levels were short and the thrill was in figuring those puzzles out. The game was easily completable once you figure out the puzzles.
Beast 1 looked and sounded phenomenal and was a fairly well done rhythm action game. Yes - that's what it was. It was not an arcade fighting game like Rastan or whatnot, it was basically a rhythm game, and a pretty good one at that.
Beast 2 was the one where the gameplay just failed. Stupidly hard and unrewarding, obtuse and weak puzzles. But it had bone chillingly amazing intro, some cool locations visuals, and fantastic music.

This game again feels very different than any of the three games, and I'm not sure I like what it's doing. There's too much slow fighting, too much blocking your route with barriers until you kill everyone. I'm not feeling that at all. The grassy fields screen looks really nice though, even if the grass looks like a carbon copy from Flower.

Widge

A shining example of terrible game design (particularly in the second and third entries).

I'm not sure I can agree here. I found the first two nigh on impossible to finish. The second one was particularly obtuse with unsignposted game ending events.

The third, however, was delicious. Wonderful puzzles, decent gameplay combat. I did the thing from start to finish. I deemed it the game where it finally got it right.

EDIT:

"git gud"

I'm completely down with you on the first two games. Bad design - missing unflagged key items, missing a rope jump. The third one did present you with puzzles that, if failed, that was it for you. However, as it presented the levels in a modular fashion, the restarting was never a big deal - you were only set back as far as the level you were in. About as near to checkpointing as you got.

This is probably not worth a thread since it's not confirmed or anything, but Power Glove (who made the music for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon) posted this on their Tumblr: http://powerglove.tumblr.com/post/133917384312/psygnosis

If they were doing the work that would be really cool. Their soundtrack for Blood Dragon was superb. I'd love a synth soundtrack for Beast, with remixes/throwbacks to the original soundtracks.

jimboton

Have to agree. The originals were more metroidvanias than beat-em-ups, about exploring and being immersed in an amazing fantasy world and solving puzzles. It looks like they've really decided to focus on the combat, which was actually the weakest part of the original games. It pains me to say but this reboot looks super boring and not a patch on what made the originals special.

This. The game seems to go from one combat arena to the next, with a few extremely simple platforming interludes connecting them. Looks bad.

Fredrik

This. The game seems to go from one combat arena to the next, with a few extremely simple platforming interludes connecting them. Looks bad.
Sad to say this, but as a fan of the originals who've waited for ages for the serie to come back from the dead I have to agree, this looks nice as a brawler but horrible as a Beast game. And the extreme gore makes it look plain awful and without finesse. SotBeast was never about the fights or the violence.

Am confident this will be great. It won't be the same but it will be great.

Am thinking puzzles and skill upgrades. Powers which you have to decide which to impove.

Hopefully not hack all the way along a corridor.

A bit like the abes odyssey remake, with a skill tree.

Time will tell and the radar is on, and if it's good my pigmy will get his ten pints ;)

I dislike the flashy and in-your-face HUD. Also... gore for the sake of having gore in your game is not a good thing, I think. Looks pretty good other than that.

Cardon

∀ Narayan;186777938 said:
I dislike the flashy and in-your-face HUD.

Same here. I'm really excited for this game but every time I see new gameplay footage my eyes immediately go to the somewhat out of place HUD. Really hoping it gets changed or there's the option to at least turn it off.

mechafan64

Neo Member
The original soundtrack is one of my personal favorites, so I'm really hoping they don't deviate too far from it. Too bad there really hasn't been any concrete information on that front yet.

Am confident this will be great. It won't be the same but it will be great.

Am thinking puzzles and skill upgrades. Powers which you have to decide which to impove.

Hopefully not hack all the way along a corridor.

A bit like the abes odyssey remake, with a skill tree.

Time will tell and the radar is on, and if it's good my pigmy will get his ten pints ;)

there will be variety, based on the latest trailer

pixelation

Why the heck does the blood splatter the camera if its so far away?, the blood effects are waaaaay overdone, and that HUD is horrible. Both things should be toggable.

Top Bottom