• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S12 |OT| Better than Dexter S8, Arrow S3, Prison Break S2, & Scrubs S9

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread will contain spoilers for Seasons 1 through 11 at the minimum.

wuYDSeN.jpg

Welcome to the official thread of Grey's Anatomy, Season 12!

*crickets*

Season 11 thread

The season premiered on ABC on September 24th, 2015. The next episode to air at the time of the creation of this topic will be the 6th episode of the season on November 5th at 7 PM. This season has had about 8-9 million viewers per episode which is pretty much on par with seasons 9, 10, and 11, so it seems like the viewership is still somewhat intact, although certainly lower than the peak of 20+ million viewers from the first few seasons.

Only four major characters are still with the show from the original season:
Dr. Miranda Bailey
Dr. Meredith Grey
Dr. Alex Karev
Dr. Richard Weber

So if you haven't tuned in for a few seasons, well, it's gonna look a little different. Oh, and a bunch of the characters that aren't here anymore are gone because they died... so they can't come back at all. Grey's Anatomy has been killing fools since before Game of Thrones made it cool.

The market for Grey's Anatomy on NeoGAF is pretty slim I suspect, but hey, maybe we can get some fun conversations going or get a lottery started as to who will die next!

Just watched episode 5. While I like the twist that
Callie's girlfriend is Penny
, I really hope they don't make too long of a fuss about it. So far Season 12 has been good. I like the direction they've been going since Derek died.

Edit: Oh, and think one of the interns will die next. Probably the blonde guy that has a crush on Joe.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This show went so off the rails I refuse to even watch it with my wife. Like how many of your coworkers have died? Because if you're Meredith the answer is something like 11. And half of the ways they get people off of the show are just hilariously dumb.

Like seriously, think about it: George got hit by a bus, and the rest of his friends laughed about it. At his funeral. Izzy got brain cancer and started having sex with an imaginary person. And then lost her license and left in disgrace. They had a lesbian character...who got written off the show and replaced with a much more attractive version of the same character. About 4 different characters were shot and killed in one episode for no real reason. Derek got hit by a truck. And narrated his own death. Lexie died in a plane crash. Mark died in a plane crash.

I think at this point, Meredith should move somewhere else.

gdt

My girlfriend forced me to watch this once upon a time.

It was a long time coming but the ghost sex was the final straw. Just had a Seinfeld moment and bailed right out.

Just watched episode 5. While I like the twist that
Callie's girlfriend is Penny
, I really hope they don't make too long of a fuss about it. So far Season 12 has been good. I like the direction they've been going since Derek died.

Edit: Oh, and think one of the interns will die next. Probably the blonde guy that has a crush on Joe.

Yeah, we call that guy Blonde-George. He's the kinda-cute dork that has a crush on the hot-chick. Basically George... but blonde. He'll die soon for sure.

This show went so off the rails I refuse to even watch it with my wife. Like how many of your coworkers have died? Because if you're Meredith the answer is something like 11. And half of the ways they get people off of the show are just hilariously dumb.

Like seriously, think about it: George got hit by a bus, and the rest of his friends laughed about it. At his funeral. Izzy got brain cancer and started having sex with an imaginary person. And then lost her license and left in disgrace. They had a lesbian character...who got written off the show and replaced with a much more attractive version of the same character. About 4 different characters were shot and killed in one episode for no real reason. Derek got hit by a truck. And narrated his own death. Lexie died in a plane crash. Mark died in a plane crash.

Not to mention how many close-calls there were. Yang got stabbed with an icicle, Derek almost died from a gunshot (but they finished him off about 5 seasons later), Bailey almost died during pregnancy, Karev was one of those that got shot, Preston was shot and almost died, Meredith herself has almost died by bomb, drowning, and countless other things, Weber almost was electrocuted to death, a different intern died by electrocution (RIP Mousey), and fuck if I can remember all the others. Meredith's mom died, Meredith's dad died, and Meredith's step-mom died. The only shocking thing left to do is to kill Zola or one of Meredith's other two kids whose names I can't remember anyway.

Oh Kyle Chandler blew up once.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I watched this show from the series premiere, but Derek's death at the end of last season is what ended it for me (and I actually was a few episodes behind).

Funny thing was, my boss had been biking in Griffith Park a few weeks or month prior to that episode, and came upon them shooting the accident and had to stop. Talking to Patrick Dempsey for a while.

He was describing the scene and I was so confused, I didn't think it was possible, how could they do that?

I can't agree with this more. I fucking adore the first two seasons but once everyone started dying....I gave up. I go back and watch the first few episodes and miss it so much. The beginning was fantastic but I fear this show has become a dragged out piece of crap. :(

Roo

Meredith's dad died.
Unless I missed something, Thatcher is still alive.
At least she survived.
I mean, yeah, she survived Shonda's circle of death but that doesn't mean anything.

When Addison left in season 3 I was expecting her to appear again in later seasons and everything I got was a 5 minute cameo in season 8. Then nothing, the character vanished forever.
When Mark died I was honestly surprised they didn't bring her back at least for that episode.

Since Cristina is a more important character to the series, I assume a possible comeback is more likely but still I'm not holding my breath.

I expect them to kill either Webber or Bailey one of these days lol

Ashhong

Been a loyal watcher since the first season. Unfortunately I fell behind during last season and never got around to catching up. Then I heard Derek died and yea..

But Joe is still in there? Love her since I first saw her nude in Californication. Maybe I'll watch again.

You're right. Thatcher hasn't died. I swore he did. Oh well. IO bet he comes back and dies soon anyway.

Ash: Yeah, Jo is still there and is a major character. Joe the Bartender from the first few seasons though? He vanished.

I just started this show a few seasons ago, so the only major deaths I saw were Lexi, Mark, and Derek. And I guess some interns bit it, too. So my reaction to the pic in the OP was more like, "Who the hell are these people?"

Yeah, that's quite a bit of death.

Big Greys fan since season 2. The loss of Christina and the death of Shepard was the one-two punch of death for me. Along with losing the characters, the show seems to have lost focus now. It's no longer about an ambitious med student, nor about raising a family and maintaining a relationship in the high drama surgeon world. It's not even about a Meredith fighting for her props as a top tier doctor, or the dynamics of a power couple in the same profession. They've told all those stories and she has already earned her props. Frankly, from a thematic perspective, the show just doesn't have anywhere left to go.

I don't want to follow the remaining interns, and the politics of running the hospital has fully played its course. Shondra and company are clearly more interested in Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder these days, so why not let the show go with dignity? They didn't even have the decency to get Christina and Addison back for a funeral scene. Greys just feels empty now.

Edit- when the running joke is that the only way to leave Grey/Sloane Memorial is to die, it's time to pack it up.

Xando

Started to watch this season last week (watched since S1) but this show just isn't mine anymore after christina is gone and derek is dead. There is still karev but i feel like he can't carry the show by himself.

jett

D-Member
I used to watch this early in its run. I actually lasted several seasons. I think I stopped watching when they brutalized George. The real crime of this show is that it holds Kevin McKidd in its clutches and the man doesn't give enough fucks to find something better.

Anyway, back to forgetting this show existed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Unless I missed something, Thatcher is still alive.

I mean, yeah, she survived Shonda's circle of death but that doesn't mean anything.

When Addison left in season 3 I was expecting her to appear again in later seasons and everything I got was a 5 minute cameo in season 8. Then nothing, the character vanished forever.
When Mark died I was honestly surprised they didn't bring her back at least for that episode.

Since Cristina is a more important character to the series, I assume a possible comeback is more likely but still I'm not holding my breath.

I expect them to kill either Webber or Bailey one of these days lol

The guy that plays him is on Scandal, so he just stopped being mentioned.

I still think the funniest random turn was "April is into Jesus now" which occurred several seasons after she showed up

Roo

The guy that plays him is on Scandal, so he just stopped being mentioned.

I still think the funniest random turn was "April is into Jesus now" which occurred several seasons after she showed up

Yeah, I know. I watch Scandal as well.
That's basically the reason why I thought they stopped using him in Grey's Anatomy.

Ashhong

Big Greys fan since season 2. The loss of Christina and the death of Shepard was the one-two punch of death for me. Along with losing the characters, the show seems to have lost focus now. It's no longer about an ambitious med student, nor about raising a family and maintaining a relationship in the high drama surgeon world. It's not even about a Meredith fighting for her props as a top tier doctor, or the dynamics of a power couple in the same profession. They've told all those stories and she has already earned her props. Frankly, from a thematic perspective, the show just doesn't have anywhere left to go.

I don't want to follow the remaining interns, and the politics of running the hospital has fully played its course. Shondra and company are clearly more interested in Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder these days, so why not let the show go with dignity? They didn't even have the decency to get Christina and Addison back for a funeral scene. Greys just feels empty now.

Edit- when the running joke is that the only way to leave Grey/Sloane Memorial is to die, it's time to pack it up.

I didn't watch the funeral scene but they didn't even bring back Addison? Welp...

So uh, this mid-season finale seems to have about 5-6 cliffhangers and zero resolutions of any on-going arc. In fact, I'd say they even added an arc or two in this episode. And it's on literally a 3 month break now.

Welp.

See y'all in February.

Joni

Why did nobody tell me there was a topic :-o
Midseason finale had me caring for the boss firefighter again.
And a brother in law is better than another sibling popping up

Wanted to bump this before the episode aired - realized I totally forgot the episode aired at all and didn't realize it until this morning. Gonna catch up tonight and post my thoughts later. I'm sure it'll be better than anything ever that has ever ever been on TV in the history of TV, though.

New episode tonight! I'm hoping this is the end of the Jackson/April storyline one way or the other. That shit has literally been on-going for this entire season and over half of last season - seriously, more than an entire calendar year of their seemingly dumb romance.

And, I have to say, the episode from a few weeks ago where Meredith
gets beat up
is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. It was just really well done, IMO. I'll come back in here later to elaborate.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I am so over this jackson and april drama

That was a good episode, liked that they got Charles back, didn't like the end twist.

Same... that end twist just means this drama is going to continue. Honestly, I can't believe they can't come up with anything better for April or Jackson. Their characters have plenty of history/background (as evidenced by this recent episode) that they can easily come up with something else, right?

I am so over this jackson and april drama

Agreed. I really had hoped this was the nail in the coffin. It seemed like a great send-off episode for their relationship, but alas, it seems it'll keep going. I can't remember exactly when their relationship stuff started but I mean, they hooked up like 4-5 seasons ago when they were taking some board exams, right? And then they decided to get married in the first half of the last season, right? So their marriage crap has been ongoing for over a literal calendar year in real-time, but in the show an entire year was fast-forwarded when Meredith vanished after the death of
...Derek!
, so in the show's continuity, April and Jackson have been fighting over their marriage for something like two years I think? I could be losing track of the time somewhere though.

So here's the thing, the February 11th 2016 episode (S12E9 "Sound of Silence") is maybe in my top three favorite episodes of all time. I mean really. My wife works in a hospital and what she really enjoyed was the perspective of the patient being able to hear what the hospital staff believed were private/quiet conversations - my wife says this crap happens far more often than doctors/nurses/etc realize, and she enjoyed seeing that portrayed in the show when Meredith was in the hospital bed. For me, though, I just enjoyed the audio performance of the episode. I need to re-watch it, but it was nearly a silent episode for minutes 5-20 of the 42 minute long episode which I thought was really well done. It reminded me a bit of "Hush" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (albeit Hush was better, no doubt, but still). And, it somehow managed to wrap up the entire story in the single episode rather than drag it out for 3 months as Grey's sometimes likes to do.

So, there's a lot of reasons I enjoyed the Sound of Silence, but basically, it's one of my all-time favorite Grey's Anatomy episodes. I really didn't expect to say that again considering how highly I hold the first 3-4 seasons.

As far as I can tell, Grey's Anatomy hasn't been renewed for a 13th season yet, right? It seems like the ratings are doing fine so based on that it could be renewed, but I really have to wonder what Shonda and the cast and crew are thinking. I mean, it's a good gig for a lot of the actors (I like Justin Chambers, but really, I don't see him getting a bigger role in the future than he has on Grey's and I think that is a safe thing to say about a lot of the cast outside of Camilla Luddington)... but still, it has been around longer than almost any primetime TV show still airing.

So here's the thing, the February 11th 2016 episode (S12E9 "Sound of Silence") is maybe in my top three favorite episodes of all time. I mean really. ...

That episode and the April/Jackson divorce episode are the first episodes from this show in years that I'd argue are worthy of Emmys. I thought that they were that good.

Just from the filmmaking perspective, I know that they did pickups for some of the flashbacks, but some of that was done well enough to make me wonder if they've been planning and shooting this episode in the background for years. I've got to listen to a podcast about it (if one exists), but I know how much it costs to make this stuff and there's no way they just shot all of those different locations for this episode. This has been brewing for a while, i think. If not, props on the production team of this show!

Angry Grimace

Same... that end twist just means this drama is going to continue. Honestly, I can't believe they can't come up with anything better for April or Jackson. Their characters have plenty of history/background (as evidenced by this recent episode) that they can easily come up with something else, right?

Agreed. I really had hoped this was the nail in the coffin. It seemed like a great send-off episode for their relationship, but alas, it seems it'll keep going. I can't remember exactly when their relationship stuff started but I mean, they hooked up like 4-5 seasons ago when they were taking some board exams, right? And then they decided to get married in the first half of the last season, right? So their marriage crap has been ongoing for over a literal calendar year in real-time, but in the show an entire year was fast-forwarded when Meredith vanished after the death of
...Derek!
, so in the show's continuity, April and Jackson have been fighting over their marriage for something like two years I think? I could be losing track of the time somewhere though.

So here's the thing, the February 11th 2016 episode (S12E9 "Sound of Silence") is maybe in my top three favorite episodes of all time. I mean really. My wife works in a hospital and what she really enjoyed was the perspective of the patient being able to hear what the hospital staff believed were private/quiet conversations - my wife says this crap happens far more often than doctors/nurses/etc realize, and she enjoyed seeing that portrayed in the show when Meredith was in the hospital bed. For me, though, I just enjoyed the audio performance of the episode. I need to re-watch it, but it was nearly a silent episode for minutes 5-20 of the 42 minute long episode which I thought was really well done. It reminded me a bit of "Hush" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (albeit Hush was better, no doubt, but still). And, it somehow managed to wrap up the entire story in the single episode rather than drag it out for 3 months as Grey's sometimes likes to do.

So, there's a lot of reasons I enjoyed the Sound of Silence, but basically, it's one of my all-time favorite Grey's Anatomy episodes. I really didn't expect to say that again considering how highly I hold the first 3-4 seasons.

As far as I can tell, Grey's Anatomy hasn't been renewed for a 13th season yet, right? It seems like the ratings are doing fine so based on that it could be renewed, but I really have to wonder what Shonda and the cast and crew are thinking. I mean, it's a good gig for a lot of the actors (I like Justin Chambers, but really, I don't see him getting a bigger role in the future than he has on Grey's and I think that is a safe thing to say about a lot of the cast outside of Camilla Luddington)... but still, it has been around longer than almost any primetime TV show still airing.

What happened was they were taking the boards and then Jackson and April fucked, and then out of left field she turned out to be a hardcore Christian.

So, I'm only invested in this show enough that it's white noise for me while I work.

But yeah, overall, Jackson wanting a divorce felt organic, but the reasons he came up with to justify their marriage being shit made no fucking sense. He's just an asshole, and this episode made that very clear.

Joni

Nice episode, and resolution on the Riggs-Hunt fight. I'm now expecting Meg to turn up alive by the time Meredith and Riggs are settling down.

Nice episode, and resolution on the Riggs-Hunt fight. I'm now expecting Meg to turn up alive by the time Meredith and Riggs are settling down.

"She's totally gonna show up at the season finale" is exactly what my wife and I said out loud when they revealed "the chopper never arrived" but was also never confirmed shot down.

Also, I never realized it until just now, but Alex isn't in the photo I included in the OP. I wonder if Alex wasn't originally meant to be a long-term character?

Joni

"She's totally gonna show up at the season finale" is exactly what my wife and I said out loud when they revealed "the chopper never arrived" but was also never confirmed shot down.

It has to be an Addison like moment where Riggs is already dating someone. And I don't think they'll go there yet.

Also, I never realized it until just now, but Alex isn't in the photo I included in the OP. I wonder if Alex wasn't originally meant to be a long-term character?
He was a 'main' already, but he does feel like an 'extra' that first season.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

do.not. want
let the gal be on her own and have some peace and quiet in her life
poor M is such a punching bag for the show writers

He was a 'main' already, but he does feel like an 'extra' that first season.

Ah, didn't realize he was a main.

do.not. want
let the gal be on her own and have some peace and quiet in her life
poor M is such a punching bag for the show writers

I'll agree with this. I don't see any character that I like her paired up with right now. Alex would be the best case I guess, but even that is awful. I really see the series ending with her single, or maybe just starting a relationship, but they'll definitely play it out as a good thing and not make the audience feel sorry for her.

That first half of the double parter was brutal. They usually get rewarded for such acts.

I really liked that episode. And yeah, I agree, usually it pays off.

I can see the potential for 3+ characters to be leaving the show at the season finale. I doubt that many, but easy exits have been written for each.

FloatOn

back when I was married my wife used to force me to watch this

how the fuck is this show still going with derek dead?

did it break meredith?

someone tell me

Joni

back when I was married my wife used to force me to watch this

how the fuck is this show still going with derek dead?

did it break meredith?

someone tell me

They handled it quite well, she got dark, but she came back from it. And the dynamic with her 'sisters' makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom