• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for The Peanuts Movie (dir. Steve Martino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

The-Peanuts-Gang-2.jpg
Oh wait, reviews. Let me give you something better looking for preface.

QZ9qesk.gif

I suspect that for young audiences, The Peanuts Movie will eventually be as much of a launching pad for the work of Charles M. Schulz as previous movie and TV iterations were for their parents.

- Alonso Duralde, The Wrap

I am apparently allergic to 'Peanuts.'

- Scott Mendelson, Forbes

A 'Peanuts' adaptation that his creator can be proud of.

- Peter Debruge, Variety

This adaptation re-creates the TV specials' touching, wistful, gently funny tone. But in the process, "The Peanuts Movie" practically cuts-and-pastes much of their signature catch phrases, character quirks and indelible scenes for this new tale.

- Tim Grierson, Screen International

A delightful romp that captures the spirit of the adored 65-year-old comic strip.

- Michael Rechtshaffen, The Hollywood Reporter

And some Twitter reactions from embargoed critics:

‏@AndrewJParker: THE PEANUTS MOVIE: Right up there with Paddington for the most delightful thing I've seen all year.

@howatdk: THE PEANUTS MOVIE is good! More for kids than adults, but pretty cute. The animation is absolutely fantastic. It does Charlie Brown justice!

‏@markwalters74: Been told I can't post my @PeanutsMovie review until Thursday, so I can't say how wonderfully fun, charming and satisfying it is until then.
‏
@robtrench: THE PEANUTS MOVIE: Utilizes the best of Charles Schulz's legacy while also appealing for a younger generation. One of the year's best films.

‏@debsterbread: #PeanutsMovie is so cute and nostalgic. great for people of all ages!

‏@tsokolove: I highly recommend THE PEANUTS MOVIE. It's, like, LEGO movie good.

Glad to see this one seems to have turned out okay. Some of the TV spots were worrying.

-4e0cfa11-6262-4a96-9a15-7d39ef607518.gif

bengraven

Going to go. My son digs Peanuts and I'm a fan from way way back in the day. I used to save the strips in a notebook.

I need get more of these. I had planned on buying each one.

Completepeanutsvol15052.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
pleased by this. I originally got salty about yet another licensed movie from my childhood.. and then seeing the extended previews.. you can tell tons of love and respect went into this movie. Can't wait!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Still find the visual look repulsive, but it's good to hear they seem to have captured the heart and essence of the original strip and characters. That's more important.

Viewt

I would NOT be upset if this kickstarted a cultural resurgence for Peanuts. It's one of my most-treasured pieces of childhood reading.

IronRinn

Ah, I was really loving the animation in the trailers, so I'm glad this is looking to be good.

Going to go. My son digs Peanuts and I'm a fan from way way back in the day. I used to save the strips in a notebook.

I need get more of these. I had planned on buying each one.

Completepeanutsvol15052.jpg

The early (50s-60s) strips are my favorite. The 50s stuff especially.

Quick

Banned
Nice. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm probably going to watch Spectre first, then Peanuts a few days or week after release.

All that I ever wanted from this movie is for it to be wholesome family fun like Peanuts has been in the past. If it accomplishes that, then I'm perfectly satisfied. =)

I'll be seeing this on release day, hopefully. Seems like my fear of it being more of a silly kid's movie is true, but whatever, at least it will be visually appealing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are the Meghan Trainor and Flo Rida songs within the film itself, or just throwaways in the end credits for the sake of soundtrack sales? Cuz seeing that bit of news was fucking depressing.

How is this the first time that I notice the doghouse(and the dog) in the background.
Dude. Duuuude!

Time for you to rewatch all of Arrested Development again.

brau

Oh nice!

I was gonna wait for a video release. But i might just go see it. Two for tuesday ftw!

Juice

That Forbes review seems kind of unreasonably harsh.

"I've never seen any Peanuts stuff before, but this dude's a total loser! Boo!"

Coupled with:

"He's chasing a nameless girl as a trophy"

The latter is valid, but his progressive slant seems a little less warm-and-fuzzy when he beats up on the protagonist for being unskilled/bullied/sullen

Yeah, my dad actually got to see this movie early. I'm jealous. I asked him what he thought of it and he said "Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah WAH wah wah WAH wah wah WAH WAH WAH wah wah wah wah wah." So I'm looking forward to it.

fhqwhgads

I wouldn't worry too much about RT score. It's still going to be better than almost the entirety of Blue Sky's previous output.

Wanderer5

Hm a bit mixed for now it seems, but it probably pretty high Blue Sky Studios wise anyway heh. I be looking forward to this either way.

nice to hear it's doing good, my parents wanna see it as they are big fans of the series and i was hoping it would turn out good

Toparaman

Banned
Ah, I was really loving the animation in the trailers, so I'm glad this is looking to be good.

The early (50s-60s) strips are my favorite. The 50s stuff especially.

Same here. They really capture the simultaneous innocence and cruelty of children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom