• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
blops3sysreqsdlpv6.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Benchmarks (NV), settings comparisons, and recommended settings (NV): See Nvidia's tweak guide. (Credit to AndyBNV.)
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Re-enable graphics settings determined to be too demanding for your system: Open SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops III\players\config.ini and add RestrictGraphicsOptions = "0" (Credit to Treyarch.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Display mode: Self-explanatory (game supports borderless window)
Monitor: Self-explanatory
Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Render resolution: 50%-200% in increments of 10% (i.e. native downsampling support)
Display gamma: Self-explanatory
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Field of view: 65-120 in increments of 1

Max frames per second: 24-240 in increments of 1
Sync every frame: On/Off
Draw FPS: On/Off

Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Extra
Texture filtering: Low; Medium; High
Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High

Shadow map quality: Low; Medium; High; Extra
Dynamic shadows: On/Off
Subsurface scattering: On/Off
Order independent transparency: None; Medium; High
Volumetric lighting: None; Medium; High

Anti-aliasing: None; FXAA; SMAA 1x; Filmic SMAA 1x; SMAA T2x; Filmic SMAA T2x
Ambient occlusion: Disabled; Low; Medium; High; Extra
Motion blur: Disabled; Dynamic; Always on

GavinUK86

Lovely graphics menu. Lots of options to get it running well. Hopefully it runs just as good as Advanced Warfare did on my 970.

Soulflarz

Banned
Welp
I wasn't going to play this on PC
Hell, I don't have $40 spare cause of fallout, but uh
I guess I'll look getting it on sale :x

JaseC

How far updoes the FOV slider go? I still have 19 gigs to DL.

It's in the OP. To answer your question, though: 120. I think that's the FoV I used in Quake 3 way back in my competitive days.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Aussie and Kiwi GAFers, we need you! I'm interested to see how much performance has improved from the beta.

I'm still grabbing the pre-load, but I'll be done way before midnight UK time. Plan to put a couple of hours into it tonight, would be more but this dammed slipped disc won't allow it :(

SO WHERE IS MY KEY GMG???

They clearly said keys won't go out early.

JaseC

Hmm Dynamic Motion blur. Camera or per object? Guessing the former.

The setting description says it's object motion blur, but it doesn't offer any insight into the difference between dynamic and always on.

Edit: D'oh, forgot to switch tabs.

Corpsepyre

Banned
AW had some of the most complicated graphic settings I have seen. Glad they scaled back a bit here. That bit with the texture loading during cutscenes option was awful and led to fucking ages for the level to fully load. If you chose to untick that option, the game would stutter like crazy.

Gojeran

Hopefully some people post lower end setups. My brother has an older computer with amd x4 at 3.4ghz and gtx570 and I would be interested to see how well it will run on his computer.

GavinUK86

AW had some of the most complicated graphic settings I have seen. Glad they scaled back a bit here. That bit with the texture loading during cutscenes option was awful and led to fucking ages for the level to fully load. If you chose to untick that option, the game would stutter like crazy.

That was the idea. Untick it, it loads everything but then waits for the cutscene to finish playing, and if you ticked it the game says bollocks to the cutscene and let's you skip it as soon as possible. I liked that idea. It was a good idea for multiple playthroughs where I don't need to watch Troy Baker be Troy Baker.

Dr Dogg

The setting description says it's object motion blur, but it doesn't offer any insight into the difference between dynamic and always on.

Edit: D'oh, forgot to switch tabs.

Hahaha well it is stupid o'clock in the morning for you.

That's cool. Maybe disabled in gameplay but present in cinematics? Possibly disabled in some other scenarios when you wouldn't want it? I imagine by the time I get my hands on it everything will be a blur anyways :p

Is there something else I need to do to get Steam to think I'm in New Zealand?

When I connect to FlyVPN, it still has all US prices and the game won't unlock. In the browser, it has NZ dollars, but the game unlock time is 11 hours from now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's the difference between the refresh rate option and Max FPS? Aren't those just different ways of saying the same thing?

What does this even mean? Faster shutter speed?

It's probably like Advanced Warfare where it's only on in scripted sequences in the campaign but you can force it on all the time.

JaseC

Is there something else I need to do to get Steam to think I'm in New Zealand?

When I connect to FlyVPN, it still has all US prices and the game won't unlock. In the browser, it has NZ dollars, but the game unlock time is 11 hours from now.

Exit Steam completely (don't use the restart option) and re-open it.

GavinUK86

What's the difference between the refresh rate option and Max FPS? Aren't those just different ways of saying the same thing?

Refresh rate comes into play with vsync on. That's what it'll lock to. Turn that off and set the max fps higher if you want it fully unlocked and you don't mind screen tearing.

You could have your refresh rate @ 120 and max max fps @ 60. So that VSync drops down to 40 instead of 30 when it misses sync.

Or any other weird combo you can imagine.

Likewise, some people love really high framerates inspite of them not being displayed with vsync off due to input latency reasons.

Hopefully some people post lower end setups. My brother has an older computer with amd x4 at 3.4ghz and gtx570 and I would be interested to see how well it will run on his computer.
Same specs the beta was so weird with how textures behaved it was hard to get a good read on the performance. Maybe I should just pick up cheap 960 to hold me over until Pascal comes out.

Shari

Is there a way to keep the game unlocked and closing the VPN? I'd like to setup my config for multiplayer and the only way to know multiplayer performance is... well, testing the multiplayer.

And that you don't do with a proxy :)

Otherwise great thread, such hype.

JaseC

Is there a way to keep the game unlocked and closing the VPN? I'd like to setup my config for multiplayer and the only way to know multiplayer performance is... well, testing the multiplayer.

Closing a VPN mid-game doesn't terminate said game, but it does result in Steam no longer considering you in-game and this breaks Steamworks functionality.

Edit: I'm a dumbo and reinstalled the 355.82 drivers. That's why I was seeing some sort of bizarre pink flashing light effect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Refresh rate comes into play with vsync on. That's what it'll lock to. Turn that off and set the max fps higher if you want it fully unlocked and you don't mind screen tearing.

You could have your refresh rate @ 120 and max max fps @ 60. So that VSync drops down to 40 instead of 30 when it misses sync.

Or any other weird combo you can imagine.

Likewise, some people love really high framerates inspite of them not being displayed with vsync off due to input latency reasons.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks

Frostburn

Multiplayer demo ran great on my i5-2500k and 970 but not enough players on PC anymore unless you want to do Deathmatch only

HelloMeow

Memory usage is kind of ridiculous. After a while the game starts to become very stuttery.

This is with 8GB ram, a 980 and a 4670k. Nothing weird is running in the background; I just did a reboot.

adG5WLY.png

Top Bottom