• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjay1994

I'm more surprised that people are upset over Rooster Teeths opinion on a review, considering that its Rooster Teeth (then again, considering the amount of posts in this thread going "who the fuck is rooster teeth" its somewhat understandable)

They are primarily an entertainment content creator, with Red VS Blue being their front lining series, and was the reason I was suprised people in this thread never heard of them considering they technically pioneered machinima (not the company, the actual act of using a game to create a story)

They've been growing constantly expanding into new things, with purchases of Screwattack and former Machinima employees, and so they try a bunch of new things. The know, being their "news" channel is one of those experiments that really doesn't make much sense.

They really do not have any weight in game news, and the channels existance makes me wonder who is their audience asides from maybe hardcore rooster teeth fans are. Their only major contribution ever was getting those leaked Dark Souls 3 screen shots.

This is essentially getting upset over someones shitpost. I doubt Jeff cares, and the know isn't going to apologize, so its probably best everyone moves on

I didn't know rooster teeth had gotten so bad. I stopped listening to them after Monty passed...but they made great content for a long time. I'm wondering when they became so corporate?

The company changed a lot after they were bought by Fullscreen

Fat4all

Banned
Nah man I think you know what you're doing

tumblr_mzl1erA4101qeuiqyo1_250.gif

Frith

They are primarily an entertainment content creator, with Red VS Blue being their front lining series, and was the reason I was suprised people in this thread never heard of them considering they technically pioneered machinima (not the company, the actual act of using a game to create a story)

hold up

i was making storys in quake in the mid 90s loads of us were
im a pionier?

this revisionism will not stand!

They really do not have any weight in game news, and the channels existance makes me wonder who is their audience asides from maybe hardcore rooster teeth fans are.

They've pretty much directly admitted in the past that it's their method of getting early copies and show floor passes. They've said that simply being a "games media company" didn't get them any of these bonuses, so the news division seems to have given them more integrity to those who hand out press copies and passes. I don't care for The Know (but do listen to the Patch) but it's definitely fulfilling its purpose for them.

Karak

I'm honestly curious if review scores play a part in people buying games. Don't the masses usually get buying advice from friends. Who are the specific people who are on the fence about a game and need a review score to tell them whether or not to buy a game? I'm not berating them but I'm literally very curious about who do these reviews actually help?

It always feels like reviews are from a time that has passed. And that the only people who actually care about them are the those who are highly into games and who end up buying those games regardless of scores.

I think, for the most part, we assume what we experience. As someone who reviews, plays, has friends who hate the games I like, and some who like them. I have found that some like reviews, some don't, some use them, some don't. Sort of like any tool in life.
I don't think there is a single special thing about the game industry in that catagory.

nadnerb 64

Neo Member
I know that I personally stopped intaking Rooster Teeth content for a variety of reasons but chiefly because I felt like they did get big and they do have to take sponserships for developers to pay the bills, thus creating a highly jaded perspective. Jeff reviews ARE always a bit more cynical but his reviews and his opinions are not unfounded. He wants more from games and while I love Fallout 4, it was a rehashing of Fallout 3 and A LOT of technical problems. It's hard for me to take Rooster teeth seriously anymore and trashing on a reviewer who just wants a better game is petty and childish.

Mahonay

Banned
In retrospect Rooster Teeth look even worse in this situation, seeing that there's the now collective feeling that Fallout 4 was disappointing to most in at least some aspect. Even to those like myself who really enjoyed playing it.

Haunted

fancymofoyvyvx.gif

just look at that cheese-eating wine-drinking mofo

In retrospect Rooster Teeth look even worse in this situation, seeing that there's the now collective feeling that Fallout 4 was disappointing to most in at least some aspect. Even to those like myself who really enjoyed playing it.
ah but that's the best part about the rooster teeth audience - no one cares about fallout 4 anymore, it's all about 2016 and the next big game, I'm sure rooster teeth are already hard at work to secure another marketing deal and trying to get their fanbase hyped for that product.

Haunted

I feel I had a part in this by making this thread that blew up to 29 pages lol
Honestly, we've had fun in this thread and if it caused even one Rooster Teeth fan to take a step back and think about the level of discourse on that channel and whether it's really worth watching for gaming news/reviews/opinions, it was worth it.

you did well in my book messo :D

hahaha, I was just thinking about this mess last night. Weird that it got bumped.

So did the RT guy triple-down on being an asshole? I remember his tweet from after people called them out on their bullshit that read something like "I tried to fight ignorance with eloquence and failed". Man, what a fucking pretentious twat.

ah but that's the best part about the rooster teeth audience - no one cares about fallout 4 anymore, it's all about 2016 and the next big game, I'm sure rooster teeth are already hard at work to secure another marketing deal and trying to get their fanbase hyped for that product.
I have no idea what this means as it certainly isn't close to reality.

I still like RT and listen to the Patch quite a bit, but that particular conversation turned me off a lot. It seems unfair to dismiss someone's contrarian opinion as immediately "attention seeking". Reviews are subjective and one experienced game reviewer's opinion is just as valid as another's.

Jeff Gerstmann pointed out a lot of problems he had with the game, and the review accurately reflected the problems he had with it, and lots of other people may also have. Heck, RT's own Burnie Burns said if he was reviewing the game, he would dock a point off of the shelter building part, which he hated. Someone else might really like that part of the game.

The Patch-ers need to grow up. It's OK to have a strong opinion about a game and like it, but that doesn't make the other guy a wrong, attention-seeking shill. Also, when you have an audience as large as they are, it comes off as really irresponsible to make those statements.

Servbot24

Banned
In this 30 page thread about a review of another review of a video game, I'm wondering whether this is really worth being on anyone's mind in any capacity whatsoever, and in a strange twist of fate, doing so has caused it to enter my mind. :(

GiantLizardKing

Neo Member
In this 30 page thread about a review of another review of a video game, I'm wondering whether this is really worth being on anyone's mind in any capacity whatsoever, and in a strange twist of fate, doing so has caused it to enter my mind. :(

It's meta-meta-criticism. It's sort of my thing. Sounds like you're more into meta-meta-meta-criticism. I'll have to look into that.

tuxfool

Banned
What I want to know is why this thread was bumped after more than a month went by without any more activity. How is any of this relevant any more?

Tagyhag

You must be new to GAF.

jblank83

That video really made me notice that Jeff has been dropping some serious weight. Good on him!

Good for him. He was beyond a critically unhealthy weight level.

I don't always agree with his opinions, but I do appreciate his knowledge and sense of humor. The industry needs all the smart, independent voices it can get. Otherwise all we have are corporate mouthpieces.

I have literally never seen a single instance where the accusation of 'they're just doing _____ to be cool and edgy' has actually been the case, the person saying that is always just looking for an angle to attack.

Good for him. He was beyond a critically unhealthy weight level.

I don't always agree with his opinions, but I do appreciate his knowledge and sense of humor. The industry needs all the smart, independent voices it can get. Otherwise all we have are corporate mouthpieces.
Nothing like a wedding to put a fire under your ass to lose weight.

Mesoian

I have no idea what this means as it certainly isn't close to reality.

Kind of is. That might be phrased wrong, but the sheer maddening level of video game jingoism found in those RT videos involving the hype for F4 will, almost certainly, be redirected towards another game when that marketing deal goes through. That's not a bad thing, people will enjoy it and get their time's worth, but it sort of cheapens the whole thing a little when you look back on it from days of future's past.

I have literally never seen a single instance where the accusation of 'they're just doing _____ to be cool and edgy' has actually been the case, the person saying that is always just looking for an angle to attack.

It is literally people saying, "Don't trust them, trust us. We know what's best, you should believe us. Because."

Kind of is. That might be phrased wrong, but the sheer maddening level of video game jingoism found in those RT videos involving the hype for F4 will, almost certainly, be redirected towards another game when that marketing deal goes through. That's not a bad thing, people will enjoy it and get their time's worth, but it sort of cheapens the whole thing a little when you look back on it from days of future's past.
Maybe because I dislike the know and pretty much stick to RT, achievement hunter, and less so funhaus which I watch strictly for entertainment, I don't notice it but I do know that there are lots of fan that despise The Know's click bait antics in fact I believe a whole post criticizing the know is one of the top posts on the RT subreddit. I would wager the Fallout 4 hype-dal wave was more of following the flow of the internet than stirring up their own wave.

Trojan

I still like RT and listen to the Patch quite a bit, but that particular conversation turned me off a lot. It seems unfair to dismiss someone's contrarian opinion as immediately "attention seeking". Reviews are subjective and one experienced game reviewer's opinion is just as valid as another's.

Jeff Gerstmann pointed out a lot of problems he had with the game, and the review accurately reflected the problems he had with it, and lots of other people may also have. Heck, RT's own Burnie Burns said if he was reviewing the game, he would dock a point off of the shelter building part, which he hated. Someone else might really like that part of the game.

The Patch-ers need to grow up. It's OK to have a strong opinion about a game and like it, but that doesn't make the other guy a wrong, attention-seeking shill. Also, when you have an audience as large as they are, it comes off as really irresponsible to make those statements.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly and I also still listen to the Patch all the time. My thoughts:

Personally, I think Meg instigated this whole thing with that dumb comment and I generally find her antics annoying. She seems to trash-talk a lot (across the board) without knowing what the hell she's talking about. Contrast her with Ashley who I think always has a strong grasp of the subject matter and really does a great job of following industry trends. Ashley also does not go talking smack without valid points to her argument.

Ryan doubled-down foolishly on this, but I feel like Ryan is fairly intelligent in his points. He is cocky and can be smarmy sometimes, but generally I agree with him when he's got a strong opinion on something.

I feel like Gus is a lot of Jeff....he will call someone out on their bullshit usually but didn't in this case. I love me some Gus.

Never heard of "Rooster Teeth" before but they seems to be a bunch of corporate mouthpieces. Pay us and we say what you want us to say. People like that have zero credibility.

Jeff Gerstmann on the other hand, he's got credibility. I don't always agree with his opinions but he is extremely knowledgeable about video games and he has a great sense of humor. He (and Ryan) is (was) the main reason I'm a premium member on the site. Love the content, love his personality.

Remember when Rooster Teeth's "The Know" reported that Microsoft was buying the Silent Hill IP from Konami for $800 million and were going to release Silent Hills exclusively on Xbox One? lawl

Bigrx1

Banned
While wearing Pip-Boys. LOL! This is almost too funny in how pathetic it is. Never will I have any respect for Rooster Teeth after seeing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom