• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Nuclear Post-Apocalyptic Story?

Kreuzader

FvsxYRX.png

So I've never completed Fallout 1, never played Fallout 2, 3, New Vegas, 4, or Wasteland 2, but after completing Pillars of Eternity I feel like it's high time I dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed, in a time of chaos.

I'm mostly interested in a compelling plot (whether in the main quest or side ops), but if gameplay is so janky relative to their RPG peers that it ruins the experience, I'd like to know that too. I also already own New Vegas and WS2, but not averse to getting any of the others.

Now that 4 is out, which had the most memorable experience for you, and why? I don't mind spoilers (although since 4 is recent, for others a black bar censor is the right way to go).

Thanks in advance!

If you want a first-person journey through a scorching desert while coming into contact with several factions that want to rebuild the world, play New Vegas. Especially since you own it already. It's janky as hell, but still has the best writing in the entire series.

Fallout 3 and 4 have great worlds, but the writing itself can be kind of lacklustre. Especially when coming from New Vegas. They feel a lot more post-apocalyptic than the former, though.

I haven't played Wasteland 2, but from what I can tell it's a lot more of a classic RPG, like Fallout 1 and 2. So that may also suit your needs.

Jumping Chief

Neo Member
Look into Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light. I know that they not any of the Fallout games or an RPG but they are good, fun FPS Nuclear Post Apocalyptic games.

joeblow

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Infocom).

The planet is destroyed by missles, and the seemingly sole survivor goes on a fantastic adventure that remains one of the best stories ever played out in a game.

Denton

Fallout 1 Fixt
Fallout 2 Restoration Pack
Fallout New Vegas Jsawyer and DLCs
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
STALKER Clear Sky
STALKER Call of Prypiat
Metro 2033
Metro Last Light

These are the best postapocalyptic experiences in the realm of gaming. Enjoy them, savour them.

Play Fallout 1 & 2 & New Vegas, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl & Call of Pripyat. If you have some time to kill play Fallout 3. Not played Fallout 4 yet so can't comment on that.

Eidjinn

I can only give an opinion about Fallout 1.

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE. Actually, I finished it last week. WOW. The ending was quite impactful and... AWESOME.

One of the best last bosses I've ever seen! No wonder so much people like it!

But be warned: it takes some time to get used to the system, but when it clicks... it's as gory and as fun as it can be.

BouncyFrag

I can only give an opinion about Fallout 1.

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE. Actually, I finished it last week. WOW. The ending was quite impactful and... AWESOME.

One of the best last bosses I've ever seen! No wonder so much people like it!

But be warned: it takes some time to get used to the system, but when it clicks... it's as gory and as fun as it can be.
I just got a Fallout 1/2 collection and was going to get into it after playing Wasteland 2 on the ps4. I usually have trouble getting into the older isometric crpgs and was thinking that if I could get a handle on W2, FO 1/2 would be easier to transition to. Is this a good plan on my part?

Fjordson

Fallout 1 and 2 are classic and my favourites in the series as far as story and writing. Check those out first.

3, New Vegas and 4 are all worth playing as well, though. Numerous memorable quests and great atmosphere.

Try the Metro series. It bleeds atmosphere at every turn. You'd think that a linear game set in tunnels would be boring but hell no, there's a ton to it. Last Light was my favorite game of 2013.

DryvBy

Fallout 1 is still one of my favorites. Absolutely loved reading everything about it. I was completely hooked for 3 days beating it. And the endings that happened were just crazy.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Fallout 1 Fixt
Fallout 2 Restoration Pack
Fallout New Vegas Jsawyer and DLCs
STALKER Clear Sky
STALKER Call of Prypiat
Metro 2033
Metro Last Light

These are the best postapocalyptic experiences in the realm of gaming. Enjoy them, savour them.

Add Wasteland 2 to this and it's pretty much a best of list.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm not sure it quite fits your criteria because it never directly states it's a nuclear apocalypse, but I loved I Am Alive. They don't give you a ton of story, but it's a quick, atmospheric climb through a dust-covered city. Kinda like The Road: The Game.

It's not an RPG. You'll spend most of the game climbing, avoiding fights, and working out the combat encounters (they're more like puzzles). It's a game where you'll always have very little or no ammo, so sometimes you just have to draw your gun on people and bluff your way through it.

The ending fucked me up. I don't want to give anything away, but it had an impact on me.

Citadel

I may be the only one, but I couldn't get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. at all. Tried on three separate occasions, and I just found it... not enjoyable.

OP, I'd highly recommend Metro 2033. It's not an RPG and it's very linear, but it has one of the best post-apocalyptic atmospheres in a video game that I've ever seen. It's hauntingly beautiful.

Also obligatory Fallout 4.

Denton

Add Wasteland 2 to this and it's pretty much a best of list.

I played the nonenhanced version for some 50 hours...I liked it, but when I got to LA I just couldn't take it anymore, too long and not well written enough for me. Not sure if I will get back to it again.

post-apocalyptic sleeper of 2015:

madmax.jpg

Meh...it looks beautiful, but the actual game design is your usual vapid ubisoft-like checklist of chores and collectibles. It doesn't hold a candle to the best in the genre. Plus the stuuuuuuuupid ending.

Meh...it looks beautiful, but the actual game design is your usual vapid ubisoft-like checklist of chores and collectibles. It doesn't hold a candle to the best in the genre. Plus the stuuuuuuuupid ending.

didn't play it for the checklists, or the ending. played it mostly for the convoys. & i had a blast! :) ...

TheTrain

STALKER Clear Sky
STALKER Call of Prypiat

I don't know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I'll never know... but I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that.

T_T

Top Bottom