• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly funny games are hard to pull off

Metal-Geo

The first few weeks playing Team Fortress 2 gave me some good laughs. Hearing different lines from your character (or from players around you) at random events was pretty great.

"You want a second opinion? You are also ugly...!"

Also Conker's Bad Fur Day when I played it back in 2002 or somewhat. That thick layer of Britishness in the game really helped.

luminous

I haven't really got too far into Trails in the Sky as of yet but Estelle is probably one of the most amusing protagonists I've encountered. I love her dialogue

Lothar

Banned
I don't see any shortage of funny games.

In the last 2 years, I've played/replayed Conker's Bad Fur Day, South Park, Earthbound, the Lunar games, GTA V, and Red Dead Redemption and they were all hilarious and made me laugh all the time.

What really impresses me about Conker and South Park is how consistently funny they are. A movie just makes you laugh for 90 minutes. Conker makes you laugh for 10+ hours.

I also played Nier and Lost Odyssey and the banter in those games were really funny a lot of the time as well. Banjo Kazooie was funny. About half of FF9 was funny. Almost every game I seem to play lately is really funny.

Also Conker's Bad Fur Day when I played it back in 2002 or somewhat. That thick layer of Britishness in the game really helped.

A lot of older Rare games have that British wit to them. Going back to Cranky from Donkey Kong Country, the mission briefings and messages from Moneypenny in Goldeneye to the dialogue in Banjo Kazooie. Even Nuts and Bolts had some great humour in it.

For me Sam & Max was just perfect.

Every point and click adventure from Lucas Arts was like that, and so where some of the Sierra point and clicks too like Roger Wilco.

Chiming in with Undertale as well, since it made me laugh longer and harder than anything I've ever played. I feel that a lot of its effectiveness comes from the way it integrates humor with actual gameplay and subverting player expectations.

I haven't played the game yet. But Previously Recorded's play through had me laughing with Jack and Rich Evans amazing voice overs for the character dialogue.

KidB

The Ace Attorney games are very funny and the humour is part of their charm. AA3's second and third case were especially hilarious.

krang

I reckon QWOP is the single, most hilarious game I have ever played. I have never laughed so hard at a game before or since.

The first few weeks playing Team Fortress 2 gave me some good laughs. Hearing different lines from your character (or from players around you) at random events was pretty great.

"You want a second opinion? You are also ugly...!"

TF2 is GOAT.

Scotland is not a real country! You are an Englishman in a dress!"

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well yeah, if you're comparing comedy writing in games to the best professional comedy writing, you're not going to have a lot of good comparisons. Same goes for books and movies, any medium really.
I think one problem with judging games humor is that a lot of it is coming from an Internet-meme kind of level, sometimes pretty amusing, but could also be seen as the death of comedy to some, ha. I definitely think the repetitive lowbrow nature of internet comedy is becoming ever-present because it's got merit, but it's like comedy junk food.

TheDanger

Banned
Sunset Overdrive:

-shitty ending
-as the credits roll someone walks into the screen and aks: Seriously wtf, that was the ending? NeoGAF is gonna eat you alive
-game rewinds and you see the real (better ending)

Earthbound was one I my favourites for humour.But TF2 is belly laughing good.The only other game which had me in tears at times was very very early days of WoW..more to do with community that the game I think

If you have some knowledge of Otaku culture, Steins;Gate has a lot of funny references.

The opening scene (talking to the screen) made me laugh.

velociraptor

You want funny? This is funny.

borderlands-2.jpg

Borderlands 2 is flat out hilarious. The writing is excellent.

B_Bech

Undertale is probably the first legitimately funny game I've played since Fallout NV: Old World Blues. I totally agree it's hard to pull off. Games like Borderlands make me cringe so hard. "Gamer" humor always feels super pandering and over the top. I think the key is timing-as always in comedy- and respecting your audience.

Don't know if it's been posted yet but I'm playing through Blood Dragon for the first time right now, and there are some pretty funny shits going on

Top Bottom