• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Wii U owners pissed off the console is getting replaced soon?

Nope I own 68 Wii u games u have gotten much enjoyment out of the system it can go off into the sunset and I would have a huge library of games to play.

Grief.exe

Not particularly. Even the mighty GBA was being pushed out in approximately the same amount of time, and that was a monster for Nintendo. Wii U has had a lot of great games that can easily occupy one's backlog, and they seem to be closing shop in fairly grand fashion in 2016 with what's currently announced.

That was a one off situation as Nintendo didn't consider the DS to be a new platform but a 'second pillar.'

It ended up exceeding all expectations and Nintendo moved fully to the DS as that was the best business move.

Nibel

Bought it full price at launch with three games.

Let it die. I can't wait for NX-era Nintendo. I can't look at my Wii U.

Exile20

What do you mean by "supports"? Do you expect some secret first party game to be announced and released before 2016 is up or before the NX is announced? Starfox, Zelda WiiU and TPHD are on the way, which is more than enough for this sinking ship into 2016. Other than that, it's all hands on deck for the NX launch over there.

Ye one or two unannounced Wii U titles along with what we already know would be cool.

Glad see GAF is in the acceptance stage.

redcrayon

Do consoles burst into flames the minute a successor is released or something?

I still haven't upgraded my PS3 to a PS4. I can't imagine I'll upgrade my 3DS and WiiU to whatever NX offers on day one either, not when I'll still have Zelda and thousands of Mario Maker courses still to play.

If the OP means 'am I pissed off that WiiU support ends soon', then to be honest, not really. It's not like a huge amount of software was being released in the WiiU's prime, let alone now. A fresh machine will undoubtedly mean more games for those who want everything on day one, and heavy discounts for those of us who are happy to play games a couple of years behind the release schedule.

Somewhere around 2013, I wanted to buy a dirt cheap Wii to spend free time with my brother near TV and to try Nintendo games and franchises in general. Eventually, I've got more money than I expected and bought a Wii U since I can play both Wii and Wii U games on it.

Besides playing new and old games, I've got the kick of NES and especially SNES selection on Virtual Console games. I was really happy to see GBA games on Wii U, especially considering they cost less than SNES ones, and by the time Nintendo 64 and Nintendo DS games came out to Wii U VC, I have already happened to pick up a 3DS which now takes all my time when I'm not home.

At home, I am mostly playing on a Wii U. and I haven't even finished a lot of games I own. And yet I have polished the back of the GamePad with my palms by holding it so long? I've yet to pick up Super Mario Maker and Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush, but I'm holding out because I have a very strong urge to replay Zelda and Mario games. Oh, and I haven't played a lot of good Wii games! Of course, I have an insane backlog on New Nintendo 3DS but I'm basically only playing Smash and Kart on it, aside from times I play Zelda games and discover DS titles. Oh, and I have no idea why I picked up Wii and a bunch of great GameCube games...

Am I pissed about the system who has opened me a great world of Nintendo games, got me an insane amount of actual and potential playing time, as well as new friends and buddies? Totally not.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nah, I bought in knowing the end was near for the console (got mine around a year ago)

Didn't want to wait to play the games available, though.

Don't regret the decision one bit.

A lot of people forget that the first Xbox was a 4 year console. As soon as the 360 came out, Microsoft completely washed their hands of that money sponge.

It sucks that the system isn't getting at least 5 years but it only stings so much right now because the Wii U is 3 years old at this point. By this time next year, it won't seem nearly as bad. Nintendo will have built hype with new hardware and game reveals for the NX and the Wii U will probably have had one of the most disappointing years of its lifecycle. A lot of people will be ready to move on.

Not at all. Ready for the new Nintendo innovation. I will still play all the amazing gems on Wii U. (hoping the NX will still do BC though, I already got the gamepad!)

If NX will be launch in 2016 and replaces the WiiU: Yes and i'm not sure to buy their next console(definitely not day one).
If NX it's for end of 2017: I'm ok with this because it will be a normal life-cycle of a console.

Zemm

No, they need to move on. Saying that I won't be buying a Nintendo console again unless something very drastic happens, which it won't..

It's for the greater good
Basically this. I can't be angry at Nintenfo, they need to replace it.

After Star Fox and other games come out, I'll have close to twice as many WiiU games as I did original Wii games.

4 years Is a bit short, but it's not awful. Historically that's about how long most consoles have lasted. It just seems shorter compared to the absurdly long 7th gen

Cleve

NX won't launch until Holiday 2017, unless it actually is a handheld in which case maybe Spring 2017. 4.5 - 5 years is fine by me if it means getting the games I actually want on the system. My bigger issue is that Nintendo seems to always waste the first 3 years of a console launch before getting to the good stuff, and then they push the stuff you actually want to the next console.

The WiiU was particularly bad for this. They've admitted as much. They were not ready for what it takes to develop a new HD game. Nintendo have traditionally had much smaller teams that they needed to scale up to produce games for the wii U. It shows with the dearth of software in the system's first couple years.

I don't see them making the same mistake a second time with the NX.

-edit-

I don't get the mentality that "it needs to last x many years or else". The quality of content the past couple of years has been fantastic. Do things really need to reach some industry average for you to be happy with it?

chadboban

Pissed that they're releasing a new console? Nah, Wii U sales are terrible and I completely understand why they have to replace it sooner rather than later (despite all those reasons pretty much being their fault in the first place, especially their lack of foresight in terms of what the gaming landscape would look like in a couple of years after the release of the system).

I had some amazing experiences with my Wii U and despite how short lived my time with the system was compared to other consoles save for the Dreamcast, I feel like I got my money's worth and that's even before I've started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X.

My only hope is that they get NX right, this is the one that they simply cannot afford to mess up.

oni-link

Im much more annoyed the prices for the games never ever drop

I only got a Wii U in March of this year, so I'm not annoyed the NX is on the way, I bought it for the games I knew were out for it, not for unknown unannounced hypothetical games

If the NX is not burdened with an expensive gimmick that adds little to the system I'll pick one up before it's almost outdated

No, they need to move on. Saying that I won't be buying a Nintendo console again unless something very drastic happens, which it won't..

So why do they need to move on if you already gave up entirely? You are basically asking for a change but not looking forward to it.

Did I miss the NX announcement?

Have you read a special NeoGAF announcement by Kimishima? Wii U public burial is set to January 1st, 2016. Get ready, or you will never be a true gamer again.

random25

I already owned and played more than 10 games for the system, a good number of them are GOTY material, with 2 more highly anticipated titles for along the way next year. Pretty good attach rate for me, so no regrets for my purchase. Besides, NX would probably be a late 2016 or mid 2017 so it's not that bad in retrospect.

NahaNago

slightly annoyed i guess was expecting for it to be a bit more supported at least until the end of 2016 but i was also one of those folks who thought the NX wasn't coming out until 2017

kitsuneyo

My gripe is I'm happy with the system, lack of some non-power-related online feature aside, so it bugs me I'll have to buy another one to keep playing new Nintendo games.

That said, new systems are always exciting and I've had hundreds of hours of fun out of my Wii U.

Hee-ho

Neo Member
Kinda, but I guess I'm pretty late to the party since I got mine last year. I'm mostly excited for it and with all the hyping up it's getting I can't wait to see what's in store.

marmoka

Banned
After the poor reception the console had, it didn't surprise me at all. Right now I think it's the best Nintendo can do, because all the people who didn't buy the console yet won't do it now.

I'm a little pissed of because the console is not getting any good games from Nintendo until NX. We are getting shits like Devil's Third, that Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, and nothing relevant for next year. At least we had Mario Maker, Yoshi and Fatal Frame, but the year in general was very mediocre in general. Xenoblade looks the most relevant thing until Zelda U, the last interesting Wii U game to be released.

The Wii U is a console that will die soon, unfortunately it won't have a good ending.

At least I could enjoy my Wii U a lot these 3 years, I have no motives to get rid of it.

I have too big of a backlog to be mad.

I'm getting Mario Maker and Splatoon this holiday, still haven't beat 3D Land and NSMBWiiU, and I still have Pikmin 3 and Yoshi to play.

Not even mentioning XenobladeX.

Ironically, I'll probably just play my 3DS while my WiiU gathers dust. Such is a long commute life.

Zemm

So why do they need to move on if you already gave up entirely? You are basically asking for a change but not looking forward to it..

They need to move on because they need to try something different and the sales are rock bottom, I don't mind them dumping the Wii U because I made my peace with that ages ago. I'll still have it for when I want to play MK8 but I've learned from this console that I need more 3rd party support than they are capable of getting. Plus I just want to see what they come up with.

sörine

Banned
That was a one off situation as Nintendo didn't consider the DS to be a new platform but a 'second pillar.'

It ended up exceeding all expectations and Nintendo moved fully to the DS as that was the best business move.
The "third pillar" talk was pure PR. And I wouldn't be surprised seeing it used again for NX, with Nintendo insisting they'll keep supporting 3DS and Wii U into 2017+.

DS also flopped initially, GBA massively outsold it the first year. GBA was a sales monster that NOA in particular actually had to put down forcibly. It was still somehow outselling PS3 monthly in 2007.

oni-link

Yep a massive disappointment coming from the Wii.

How is this relevant to the threads question?

I've enjoyed the Wii U a lot more than the Wii overall, and I still have a lot of the big Wii U title to play, the Wii was a wasteland peppered with a few diamonds

Just disappointed that Nintendo would choose to handle the Wiis successor as they did. Weak hardware, weak infrastructure, game pad gimmick, etc. can't wait for the NX.

EhoaVash

Love the console, I got my fill of the Nintendo games I wanted to play except Zelda, but that's coming too. I had the most nintendo games for wii u than any previous console. Its an awesome console. Thinking back, if nx is launched 2017, it will have the same life time as GameCube, so I'm not mad at all.

<3

Ridley327

No one plans for a big online service rollout with new mainline installments for Mario Kart and Animal Crossing with the expectation of being a mere side business.

Banned
I'm not. I'm at the point now where any new game they're working on I want it on more powerful hardware with a potential to sell to a larger install base.

valouris

I am not "pissed off". I am disappointed we won't get to see more games, but I still have a lot to play through. However, I will be a bit pissed off if Wii U owners are not somehow rewarded when NX comes out, and if our library won't transfer easily to the new system.

Not really, no. NX is not coming for at least another year and I have gotten my enjoyment out of it. I spend money on other more expensive stuff than the WiiU. I kinda wish it had been better from the beginning but hopefully NX will improve things.

I don't see why. The Wii U has had great 1st party support from Nintendo. No one can say they didn't try their best, unlike 3rd parties.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nothing can replace this little box full of wonderful games.

I'm not pissed for the fact that NX will launch probably next year. I'm just pissed that Nintendo fucks up another transition, by spewing horrible/cheap games for the last part of Wii U's life. Which give me little hope about NX and them learning lessons from the transition to 3ds and Wii U.

Top Bottom