• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please stop removing single player campaigns!

kurahador

I'm with you OP. I don't think I've ever felt justified for all the multiplayer-only games that I bought --- not even L4D that I bought super cheap on sale.

KoopaTheCasual

You two beat me to it. Removal isn't the right word, and since the gameplay has been incredibly polished. Super linear set piece filled 3-5 hour SP is honestly a bit boring annnnddd it's probably not even worth it to make since so little in reality actually start them, let alone complete them.

Then why are they buying games that are specifically made with MP in mind and/or paying for MP focused titles with lackluster 3-5 hour SP campaigns? There are plenty of SP focused titles. More so than ever in fact since the fad of:
-tacked on MP in SP focused titles
-tacked on SP in MP focused titles
is going away.
I did say they were casual, and as such, don't necessarily pour the most research into their game purchases. One friend in particular was shocked there was no SP and said he doesn't think he'll buy 'another Battlefront again'.

Of course, this would be completely mitigated by research, but... yea. It's something I think will hurt any future installments of BF. But if they're making more money doubling down on the core audience, then I guess that works.

And yea, now that you mention it, more and more games are offering either SP or MP and not both. I guess it's indicative of the rising costs and resources it takes to build these AAA blockbusters

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Both the examples I listed in the OP are series where there have been single player campaigns in the previous games in the series.

In the case of Rainbow 6, they HAD a single player game that they showed off, then scrapped to make Siege.

This would tell you something about how Ubisoft assess the market, yes?

OP's wording aside, I agree that the amount of MP-only games worries me, and the fact is that for whatever reason none of them have the legs as games that come packed in with single player modes.

Me. I play pretty much every shooter I can get my hands on and the singleplayer for multiplayer shooters have always been terrible

So devs should get rid of them? I don't ask for games to remove MP modes that I don't like.

And COD campaigns are pretty decent. Halo and Gears are great.

Well generally I would recommend not buying MP only games if you don't play online. :/

:

Well yeah obviously. But when publishers know that a huge amount of consoles are not online, and then use online tracking to look at stats that show no one plays the single player, it seems like a pretty shortsighted assumption.

My consoles are online for the record, just making a point.

EL CUCO

I've yet to buy a single game that has done this and I'll be keeping it that way, unless they start pricing them cheaper or have an absurd amount of MP content at launch.

LOLCats

Banned
First some people asked to remove the campaigns on these shooters and focus on the multiplayer because the story mode usually sucked and only consumed resources that could make the competitive modes better; now it's the opposite. It's impossible to please everyone.

Lol, who asked for that?

I would ask those people not to buy an online only game.

And you just like to act as if everyone is as informed and enlightened as you? No where on the front of Star Wars Battlefront does it imply that it's a online only experience.

And yes, while everyone on gaf might have the knowledge to understand this, when I worked at retail, you would be surprised at the number of people who DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GAMES. They buy based on cover art alone. We informed gamers are the minority, and the games that sell bank and millions of copies sell mostly to the uninformed masses.

Well yeah obviously. But when publishers know that a huge amount of consoles are not online, and then use online tracking to look at stats that show no one plays the single player, it seems like a pretty shortsighted assumption.

Are there a huge number of XB1/PS4 consoles offline nowadays? I imagine both the XB1 and PS4 experiences would be incredibly crippled if you didn't have your console online. No patches alone would wreck a lot of recent games.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I did say they were casual, and as such, don't necessarily pour the most research into their game purchases. One friend in particular was shocked there was no SP and said he doesn't think he'll buy 'another Battlefront again'.

Of course, this would be completely mitigated by research, but... yea. It's something I think will hurt any future installments of BF. But if they're making more money doubling down on the core audience, then I guess that works.

And yea, now that you mention it, more and more games are offering either SP or MP and not both. I guess it's indicative of the rising costs and resources it takes to build these AAA blockbusters
That's not exactly the fault of the devs if your friends aren't making informed purchasing decisions. It wouldn't even be research, you don't need to watch interviews or something, just a simple google search and article link.

NotMyPsn

Banned
I'm not against getting rid of single player, but at least have the decency of
1) Having lots of content, more than a SP+MP game! (i'm looking at you, Battlefront)
2) Less DLC, or something like Rocket League, that the DLC doesnt divide the player base.

The current batch of MP only games are keeping a SP+MP pricing model, and thats what makes me angry, the consumer sees no benefit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Given that Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 has a campaign that is not only terrible, it robbed me of ~11 hours or so I'll never get back, I no longer feel this way. PS3/360 owners got a better deal of a discount w/o a campaign (well if the graphics weren't totally hosed on those platforms anyways).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They're obviously not trying to sell the game to everyone in the market.

Similarly, SP only games aren't trying to sell to people who only play games online, or consider online play a critical part of their purchase decision.

Publishers/developers can remove single player campaigns if they want, but then I won't be buying their games 99% of the time so… its up to them to decide if my $60 (and many others) are worth it against the cost of making those campaigns.

I look at EA as a particular example who is doing it more and more and think that their reasoning for not including a campaign is hilarious. Perhaps if you got your studios to make better campaigns people would play them more?

It's so much harder to justify spending 60 bucks on a single-player only game than a mp only game. I don't get the attitude around here. SP games are an easy rent, beat, return.

I never understand when people talk about the campaign in Battlefront like it was some beautifully crafted story mode that they took out. What are you guys talking about? The vaguely strung together series of instant actions?

You can make the argument for R6, the campaigns were usually kinda ass but there was substance, but Battlefront never had a real campaign and ya'll gotta stop talking like it did.

KoopaTheCasual

That's not exactly the fault of the devs if your friends aren't making informed purchasing decisions. It wouldn't even be research, you don't need to watch interviews or something, just a simple google search and article link.
Research = Google. That's what I meant. But again, the casual audience still has people who think Xbox still can't play used games, so I don't expect much from them.

Are there a huge number of XB1/PS4 consoles offline nowadays? I imagine both the XB1 and PS4 experiences would be incredibly crippled if you didn't have your console online. No patches alone would wreck a lot of recent games.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I recall seeing something recently that showed how many consoles were offline, and it was way higher than I expected it to be.

Maybe OP should change to "Please focus on making good mp campaigns instead of mp" then I can get behind. It's ashamed, many of these mp games look so good but I just don't like to play a competitive shooter so I will never experience them.

I don't understand this. There are plenty of single player games being released every year that you could by yet you chose to complain about multiplayer games because they aren't single player?

danmaku

Except single-player game can't just die because they are not popular or because the publisher decided to do so, EA online DRM games aside.

So what...? A single player game will have different "problems", like a crappy AI that will never be as good as human opponents. There's no hard rule that says "this feature is worth 60$".

If a game is fun to play and is best when it's a multiplayer game (Battlefront, CoD), I'd rather have single player that's structured like multi rather than some campaign that chases after Uncharted (and fails).

I think that if they sell an online only multiplayer game for 60$ then I damn right better get all dlc and "map packs" for free.

$60 multiplayer only games have just as much a right to exist as $60 single player only games.
You play a singleplayer game once over for ~15 hours and pay $60 for that game and it's worth the price. You play a multiplayer only game for ~15 hours and pay $60 for that game and for some ridiculous reason it isn't worth the price.

I never understand when people talk about the "campaign" in Battlefront like it was some beautifully crafted story mode that they took out. What are you guys talking about? The vaguely strung together series of instant actions?

I never really played the original Battlefront games, but I personally would simply have loved SOMETHING of a single player campaign in Battlefront with the look and feel that that game has. Even if it was simply a loosely tied together set of missions, that maybe followed the order of the original trilogy. Have a level where you're escaping the Death Star as Luke, Han and Leia, followed by a death star run level where you destroy it...then the hoth level...then an asteroid belt...escape from cloud city...darth vader duel....etc... Even if there weren't cutscenes in between, just something a single person could enjoy.

Everything about Battlefront feels rushed to me, like they focused on the graphics and presentation so much, but really didn't have time to make a lot of content.

Bear

I mostly play single player games but I'm fine with this trend. I'd rather have games allocate their resources wisely. Not every game needs both single and multiplayer.

If I'm buying a game that has an obvious emphasis on MP, I'd rather have them put as much effort into that rather than wasting it on a lackluster SP campaign. Likewise, I'm not interested in shoe-horning multiplayer in a game that has a clear focus on the single player campaign. In both cases, I inevitably end up ignoring the secondary mode if it's merely included to make the game appear more "complete".

If it makes sense to have both and the developer has the means to pull it off, so be it, but I don't expect or even want that from every game I buy. I'd rather have the developers capitalize on their strengths and avoid spreading themselves too thin.

spectator

I kinda like it because any developer that would drop a single-player campaign has very different priorities than mine and probably wouldn't make a very good campaign if they were doing so by compulsion. So this helps me weed out games that aren't going to satisfy me and understand which developers are going in directions that don't interest me.

I'm just wondering why Star Wars Battlefront exists. It's like a remaster of some of the maps from the old games. You're not getting any new worlds other than Jakku I guess. There's nothing really new here. Not having a story mode in this game is okay because I don't need to have the original trilogy retold to me for the hundredth time. I would have preferred they just focus on releasing a completely new game within a few months of the movie.

Elios83

I think my least favourite trend of 2015 is the whole 'we're focussing on multiplayer, there's no campaign. $60 please!"

Rainbow 6 and Star Wars Battlefront are the two this year that I know of, and I find it annoying, because they're both games I would have interest in if they had a campaign of some sort. Multiplayer only though? GTFO.
I rarely play multiplayer. Sometimes I do, but I like to play games at my own pace. I find a lot of multiplayer games make me play at a different 'style' than the campaingns do.

Anyone else that just flat out refuses to buy a multiplayer only game? The publishers seem to think that we're a small minority. Maybe that's true, but I want campaigns back.

Ummm I also am a single player gamer because the things that I like in videogames (story, exploration, puzzles, beautiful environments) can't really be appreaciated in a multiplayer competitive environment.
But you should consider that there's also room for multiplayer only games and the games you mention are simply in that category. And if a developer wants to make a multiplayer only shooter it's better to focus just on that and make a better game in that genre.
Of course it would have been great (for us) to have a Star Wars game with the Battlefront graphics and production values applied to a great single campaign but that would have simply been an other game compared to what DICE decided to make and adding a bland 5h sp campaign just to check a feature list wouldn't fix the issue.

Yes there are, or at least console owners with such awful internet that it takes them days to download a patch. I remember one guy writing in to Giant Bomb saying he has to go to the public library to download the podcasts.

Proponents of the "digital future" just don't get it. A big portion of this country lives with shitty internet because the ISP business is an oligopoly and the greedy companies like Comcast don't bother to provide infrastructure to areas they can't make as much money with.

But this is just false. Over 95% of new gen consoles are connected. This isn't 2005.

Connected != Being able to play online at any capacity. But I know that's not what you were addressing. Do you have a source for 95%? Because I was having trouble looking for one just now before I saw your post.

Falk

that puzzling face
A Battlefront single player campaign would have been utterly terrible. Awful even, much like the Battlefield campaigns. Now bot matches? they should have made it.

I dunno man, Bad Company 2 was a seriously good time.

It was self-aware to the point you felt like giving the writers a slap on the back.

Adding multiplayer to a single player only game gets frowned on and viewed as a tack on, while single player games that don't do multi will get praise for keeping the focus on the important parts of the game.

Meanwhile, single player campaigns in multiplayer player focused games are often viewed as poorly done and not worth the time, yet people then complain when they forego it to keep the focus on the multiplayer.

I find this logic flawed. What about people that don't have their console online, and play only the campaign? They're not tracked, and don't stats show that even in 2015 a huge number of console players aren't online?
No it's not. If you have the total number of tracked online players, you can subtract that amount from the total number of units the game has sold, and reasonably deduce the remainder that was offline was for single player only. Seems perfectly reliable to me.

LQX

Yeah, I'm hating this trend also. I hate even more seeing so many consumers agreeing with it as if it means the multiplayer will than be much better than it normally would, but we see that is not the case with Battlefront as its seemingly has no longevity or more maps to make up for the lack of single player. And from the beta I have played of RB6 I think it is also the case there so stop fucking encouraging these publishers to do it. Moreover its sort of fucked up to charge full price and give the same amount of multiplayer maps you normally would. If you are going to drop single player you damn better make up for it with more maps.

gai_shain

For an additional $60. So...if I want a single player and a multiplayer Star Wars game, I'm supposed to dish out $120 + $50 for season pass is what you're saying. Let's not forget what other paid DLC they might wanna add for said single player game next year also.

Edit: I never thought I'd be using Call of Duty as a positive example, but at least in that case, people are getting a pretty decent single player campaign with a bonus one, the multiplayer, the zombie mode for $60. And yes of course the $50 season pass, but at least there's a base game there that feels worth the price of $60.

well yeah if you want to play two games you wont just get one of those for free thats nothing new

Shang

You could argue that single player was sort of "removed" from Battlefront and Rainbow Six because previous entries in those series' had single-player elements (more so in the case of R6).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
And you just like to act as if everyone is as informed and enlightened as you? No where on the front of Star Wars Battlefront does it imply that it's a online only experience.

And yes, while everyone on gaf might have the knowledge to understand this, when I worked at retail, you would be surprised at the number of people who DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GAMES. They buy based on cover art alone. We informed gamers are the minority, and the games that sell bank and millions of copies sell mostly to the uninformed masses.

I am aware, and that is a pretty scummy thing for EA to do. The game actually lists it can be played 1 player on the back.

liquidtmd

Banned
A hell of a lot of people keep referring to Battlefront here. I appreciate there are other examples but Christ, one major title and we're almost into 'its a slippery slope' GAF territory...

This is just greed. Publishers take a popular IP like Rainbow Six or Star Wars, create a cheap and rushed MP game around it and then slap the 60€ price tag on it (+ season pass).

It's hilarious that people are defending this. Big publishers like EA could easily create breathtaking SP and MP experiences, they have all the resources. They just don't want to, because it will result in less profit.

Depends on the game if I care or not but in general I agree. The CoD campaign apparently sucks, so I didn't buy it. I may still pick it up if I can get it for $30, but I'm not paying $60 if the content/quality I want isn't there.

At least Tomb Raider went the opposite direction and removed the multiplayer crap. Good for them. Except the sales were apparently shit so they probably wont be so quick to do the same thing again even though that wasnt the reason for low sales.

Top Bottom