• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy a NX if nintendo hides the specs again?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
specs don't matter to me honestly. If I like the games they show (and preferably if it gets solid third party support) I'm in.

At the end of the day its all about games. If they hide specs to cover the fact that its weaker than the competition then it could affect how soon I'd buy one. 3rd parties aren't going to go out of their way to downgrade their games for me too versions again.

Skelter

Banned
If specs are that much of a concern, then consider getting a PC. This console is likely going to be affordable. The games at launch/launch window will matter more.

I think we all know what the OP means. PS4 and Xbox One offer similar games that aren't on Nintendo consoles and for some it's not a problem but I would think for the majority it is. I have all three and PC so it doesn't matter to me but I do want Nintendo to try to get a more powerful system on the market. Enough with gimmicks. I love the 3DS' dual screen but not on the Wii U. Put the resources into something else.

Anyway OP, I'll probably buy the NX because unlike the other consoles I'd feel like I'm missing out without Nintendo. I need my Smash, Zelda, and platformers.

brau

As long as its not wii or wiiU dependent, and they get rid of the wiimotes. At this point i favor something new than hardware related. The wiimotes were fun, but its time to go back to a traditional controller.

But.. even if this is the case, the roster of games is what will make this console appealing.

Haganeren

Never cared for them. If i cared, i wouldn't take a PS4 either actually.
Third Party Support can be had on other console anyway...

Yes, like almost everyone else who buys the consoles I know basically nothing about what hardware specs really mean other than "bigger is better"

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't care as much about the specs than about a sound concept. The Wii U just didn't make any damn sense to me. It was, as Nintendo proclaimed themselves, targeted at enthusiast gamers, yet incapable of running the next generation of games that enthusiast want to play. It was quite expensive because it came with a controller that was conceptually unsound, and thus alienated casuals and enthusiasts alike.

I hope that whatever NX is, that it at least will make sense and appeal to more than just the most loyal Nintendo fans.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Games > Specs

While this is obviously true, not having comparable specs to Ps4 and XB1 would mean not getting third parties again, but launching a console comparable to ps4 and xb1 so late means doing the same error as the wiiu that initially got some ps360 multis but when the generation ended third party support basically ended too.

Nintendo Hardware speculation is the best part of neogaf, let the fuckery commence once again

lol i nintendo fans flamed the shit out of me, on another forum cause i suggested the console is probably on par with last gen, it was always 4-5x jump in there minds.

The people who need to answer this are the people who AREN'T Nintendo fans. Nintendo fans are in the bag no matter what, and I have a feeling if you aren't a Nintendo fan that question won't be possible to answer because it will take more than specs. The specs are to win over their skeptics/people who haven't bought their consoles.

Somnid

Let's put it this way, the vast majority of people do not understand specs or the number of factors that surround theoretical numbers and how that translates into performance. It's confusing that that's why for the most part, only vague things are given ("4 cores", "twice as fast", "FastExtreme™ CPU"). Just let the games do the talking.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
My console can do certain math operations better than yours.

If these capabilities translate into games that are not as barren and limited as the world of Skyward Sword, because the console has actually enough memory and processing power to handle a developer's unbounded creative vision, then they are actually pretty important for those games that everyone only cares about. I do not understand how that can be so easily hand-waved away.

lol i nintendo fans flamed the shit out of me, on another forum cause i suggested the console is probably on par with last gen, it was always 4-5x jump in there minds.

Do you really have that much free time to go on a flame war about the hardware efficiency of an entertainment tech device we know nothing about?

tesla246

I'm gonna be perfectly honest with myself: spec talk from Nintendo themselves will be hype infusing of the highest magnitude, if the specs are up to par, of course. I'm just a hardware geek and a sucker for tech talk.

Decent specs, along with some stellar games, will definitely be the deciding factor if I buy the console day 1.
If they dissapoint, I will buy the console later in its life span. Buying WiiU day 1 purchase left a sour tatse in my mouth, alltough its now more than worth it.

I would never get a Nintendo console to play third-party games, so the quality of the first-party games is the only thing that will determine whether I but one. In that respect, it really doesn't matter what the specs are.

It's funny, I never thought about it until this thread but when it comes to Nintendo consoles, specs are irrelevant to me (I do care about every other console's specs).

I know regardless of the console's horsepower, Nintendo will put out great and great-looking games. So they can release whatever they want. MS and Sony, though, offer no such guarantee in my mind - so when it comes to them, specs matter to me.

When you buy a nintendo console, you buy it to play nintendo games. Specs wouldn't matter. Nintendo is about style over graphics.

Eolz

Yes, unless there is some royal fuck-up (which never happened apart from the Virtual Boy).

because nintendo is too embarrassed to show off the specs.

This is fucking stupid though. They're not embarrassed, they think specs shouldn't be part of the message.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I long ago became satisfied with the current state of graphics. As long as a console game looks about as good as a Gamecube game I'm happy.

nubbe

It should be up to speed whatever happens....
Unless they still use that legacy PPC, would be hilarious

Haganeren

While this is obviously true, not having comparable specs to Ps4 and XB1 would mean not getting third parties again, but launching a console comparable to ps4 and xb1 so late means doing the same error as the wiiu that initially got some ps360 multis but when the generation ended third party support basically ended too.

Not having third party support is more NIntendo problem than mine to be honest...

BKJest

If these capabilities translate into games that are not as barren and limited as the world of Skyward Sword, because the console has actually enough memory and processing power to handle a developer's unbounded creative vision, then they are actually pretty important for those games that everyone only cares about. I do not understand how that can be so easily hand-waved away.
But GFLOPs are a terrible way to measure the power of a console.

Kyoufu

When you buy a nintendo console, you buy it to play nintendo games. Specs wouldn't matter. Nintendo is about style over graphics.

If Nintendo wants a larger share of the market then they're going to have to present a product that appeals to more than just 1st party game buyers. Without 3rd party support, they're just making another Wii U.

Unless of course, they have something revolutionary or different like the Wii.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
wrong thread

fernoca

I wouldn't mind, as long as the games are fun, pay well and are well done.

EDIT:
Oh!..ninjablade thread, silly me!

If you're worried about specs, a PC is the way to go.

It's kind of missing the point to worry about specs on a console from a consumer point of view.

When was the last time anyone cared about the specs of Nintendo hardware?

Whenever anyone asks "why is the release schedule so barren?".

It depends on the price and whatever gimmick the console has.

If you're worried about specs, a PC is the way to go.

It's kind of missing the point to worry about specs on a console.

That's not true though is it. The Wii U is too weak to easily allow third parties to port to it, so the specs are very much a concern.

Yes, unless there is some royal fuck-up (which never happened apart from the Virtual Boy).

This is fucking stupid though. They're not embarrassed, they think specs shouldn't be part of the message.[/QUOTE]

really? it's a electronic device, they all have specs, people should know the specs on a electronic device that costs hundreds of dollars.

I don't think most fans care what the specs are but the nx needs to at least be as powerful as the xbox/ps4 in order to have 3rd party games.

Sinfamy

I wouldn't even touch it if it didn't perform at least on par with the PS4.
I'm sick of Nintendo skimping on specs in favor of gimmicks, I just want great Nintendo games on great Nintendo hardware.
Nintendo didn't used to be like this.

Nintendo needs a brand new architecture, PowerPC is dead.
Either go with x86 or at least ARMv8.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hide specs ? You are acting as Gaffers didnt know how strong the Wii or WiiU were when they launched.

Kirye

I don't mind the Wii U's specs, why would I care about the NXs? Provided it keeps running most Nintendo games at 60 fps, and possibly 1080p then i'm good. Nintendo games aren't good because of the GPU.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As long as it is capable of dynamic shadows...

I don't care for specs, if it has games I want to have (and considering I love platformers, action-adventures and arcade racers, this is very likely) and allows for always offline, I'm in.

Top Bottom