• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Polizei armor looks really dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Meanwhile in Denmark.

oCFvxtv.jpg

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think they actually look really well protected. I imagine the wider flaps in the helmet help against getting shot or hit from above. A bullet or blow directed downwards at the head will get deflected to the shoulder pads instead of making it past the helmet into the collarbone.

Function over form, right?

KDR_11k

Looks perfectly functional to me. They're wearing soft body armor underneath the "poncho" and it looks like the helmet has notches for putting on a plexiglass face shield. Should work great as riot gear, you're dealing things like rocks any bottles in those cases, not bullets. The ear flaps mighty even give you better protection against something like a molotov than a normal helmet because it would keep the flames away from your face like and umbrella, same thing for glass fragments.

The goofy look isn't bad either if you subscribe to the school of riot control that emphasises humanising the police to avoid escalations. Much better in that respect than the "literal-enemies-from-CoD" look a lot of police forces seem to gravitate towards these days.

The caption on the image claims they're meant to stop AK rounds.

Dali

Reminds me of this
2443067-catarina-armor.jpg
Saw some armor at the Met when I visited and that may be video game art but it's not very far from what the armor looked like. I was surprised by how short and ummm husky the wearers had to have been. It was a far cry from the statuesque suits you see in rich people's mansions on TV.

Binabik15

Throw on some dark visors, tons of tacticool weapons, ski masks, some roided guys who don't fuck around and those might be scary when doors need to be kicked down.

Ummasked faces and clear visors when doing regular riot stuff? I dunno. Seeing police with SMGs at train stations for sport events in the area are scary enough for me.

Or just call in those Danes. Holy shit.

Dennis

Banned

Seriously what are they thinking with that lame outfit?

The one redeeming thing about a job where you are likely to get shot at is that at least you get to look cool and badass. Now they don't even havet that.

the vest seem highly restrictive of the movements and heavy something is going the opposite direction of the nowadays trending towards ballistic protection

The way it's joined together makes me think it might be more flexible than it looks.

But that would also be a concern, yeah.

Luigiv

Well they say fashion is cyclical, so I guess they're going through a Gothic phase right now.
fSXOviv.jpg

When Maximilian comes back into fashion, things are going to be dope.

iamblades

Well I get that the idea is to cover all the major weaknesses of current armor(arm holes, neck, ears, etc), at a certain point isn't it more practical to just use a shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom