• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Officially Denies HD-DVD 360 Games (Was: MS rules out HD-DVD games "this holiday")

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol360wk5.jpg

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
If you guys knew how the games press arrived at their conclusion that Silicon Knights was dropping UE3, you'd bust a rib laughing (or crying). Anyway, I know this is GAF and all, but maybe wait for some sort of official comment before... y'know, going apeshit?

jedimike

WTF, I know negative 360 news is severely wanted, maybe even needed on GAF, but did anyone rationally think this out before jumping in?

edit: Apparantly no... let's see, maybe I can post an article in my blog about how MS is violating child labor laws by forcing children in Madagascar to draw the ads for the XBL Marketplace content.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
oh god, MS is looking really unattractive with those stupid consumables and all these rumors/vague comments about hd-dvd being used for games

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
chespace said:
If you guys knew how the games press arrived at their conclusion that Silicon Knights was dropping UE3, you'd bust a rib laughing (or crying). Anyway, I know this is GAF and all, but maybe wait for some sort of official comment before... y'know, going apeshit?

Well dont tease us, go ahead and spill it. How did they find out SK was dropping UE3?

Piper Az

chespace said:

We just needed to take a break from bashing Sony and shift gears little bit back to MS - even on a wildly uncofirmed report like this.

jamesinclair said:
I just hope the NPD makes a clear distinction between the inferior DVD game and the definitive HD-DVD version.
If it were to happen at all, I would guess all 360 games would be pressed on "flipper discs".

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
jedimike said:
WTF, I know negative 360 news is severely wanted, maybe even needed on GAF, but did anyone rationally think this out before jumping in?

The ribbing happens to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft equally. People can't control themselves and be nice so the equality comes from busting eachothers balls equaly. This is true for my case (read: my thread about the downfall of the playstation)

Zamorro

How many pages before this halfassed story ends up on Gamesindustry and Joystiq ?

I know you can do it, NeoGaf!!!

Yawn.

jedimike

BlueTsunami said:
The ribbing happens to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft equally. People can't control themselves and be nice so the equality comes from busting eachothers balls equaly. This is true for my case (read: my thread about the downfall of the playstation)

My bad... it's hard for me to tell whether people seriously believe this or are just ribbing. My sarcasm meter is broke today... I promise I'll get it fixed for tomorrow. ;)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
jedimike said:
My bad... it's hard for me to tell whether people seriously believe this or are just ribbing.

I'd say most logical people are staggered somewhere between the two.

Maybe 'logic' isn't the right term. Prudence might be better.

REV 09

MS hasn't done anything yet folks, and even this quote doesn't really lead readers to believe that the HD DVD attachment will be used for games. This is more or less for the fanboys who want to read too far into it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
m0dus said:
Permission to use this phrase in daily speech? because it's ****ing awesome.:lol

Come to London, get a taxi somewhere. You'll have the time of your life.

*Sp0rsk casts +10 pages*

White Man

sp0rsk said:
For what it's worth, the quote is real.

I think the issue with the blurb is that the only quoted portions are “this holiday,” “Speed of loading,” “will do so shortly,” “great and affordable,” and “cheapest.”

Proelite

Are there games that out confirmed to require hard discs? If so, then expect hd-dvd titles to come out, although the developer would be pretty stupid to limit their sales.

Rhindle

I wouldn't expect the guy to say "We will never ever ever ever never ever never do an HD DVD game."

Although nothing short of that would appease the GAF apparently.

Proelite said:
Are there games that out confirmed to require hard discs? If so, then expect hd-dvd titles to come out, although the developer would be pretty stupid to limit their sales.

final fantasy XI (for obvious reasons) and some football management game in Europe require the hard drive at this time.

White Man

Rhindle said:
I wouldn't expect the guy to say "We will never ever ever ever never ever never do an HD DVD game."

Although nothing short of that would appease the GAF apparently.

My guess is he got asked something he wasn't qualified to answer for whatever reason and just gave a non-committal answer while also spewing out some random facts on the drive. This has been so vehemently denied that I'd find it preposterous if this were in any way, shape, or form true.

Proelite

soul creator said:
final fantasy XI (for obvious reasons) and some football management game in Europe require the hard drive at this time.
I guess its up to the developers then to decide if they want to release games on hd-dvd, Microsoft won't be enforcing anything.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Not a single Xfriend see this as positive, except for MrBob? I do. It's the surest way MS has to get me to buy the thing.

White Man

Zamorro said:
This magazine has real quotational problems, reading the other articles.

(Is that a real word, "quotational" ?)

While speaking about Consumer Electronics Daily, Zamorro commented that the magazine has "real" "articles," doesn't use fake words like "quotational," and also that "This magazine has" integrity.

Sweet can.

Sweeeeeeeet can.

White Man said:
My guess is he got asked something he wasn't qualified to answer for whatever reason and just gave a non-committal answer while also spewing out some random facts on the drive. This has been so vehemently denied that I'd find it preposterous if this were in any way, shape, or form true.
Can't say I blame the skeptics after the 2 SKU fiasco.

Mmmkay

White Man said:
I find it very difficult to believe too, it just caught my eye because that's the first time I've seen them even remotely budge on the issue. It may well have been an awkward question, needless to say top men are working on finding that out.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if they just started having games require the HD-DVD drive this holiday and put it on sale at the same time as the PS3, at least it'd be more-overly comparable support-wise to the PS3 in that regard, but there's still the problem of the X360 not having it be a required part of it.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
kaching said:
Not a single Xfriend see this as positive, except for MrBob? I do. It's the surest way MS has to get me to buy the thing.

Probably because most people in this thread have already bought a 360 and/or feel for those who did if this turns out to be true.

Proelite

I can see Microsoft releasing HD-DVD only games 4 years down the line to extend the 360 lifetime to be comparable to that of ps3, which is aiming for a 10 year life line. I think that would be a good idea, considering at that time you can get a 360 and HD-DVD drive together or separate for $200. I don't think developers have the stupidity to put their games on hd-dvd soon, that's like supporting a new console entirely.

Microsoft should have delayed the system and released one with hd-dvd drive, hdmi, better processors, more ram, and better gpu a year later at $400. They could avoided all these duck-taped mess.

Raistlin

Proelite said:
I can see Microsoft releasing HD-DVD only games 4 years down the line to extend the 360 lifetime to be comparable to that of ps3, which is aiming for a 10 year life line. I think that would be a good idea, considering at that time you can get a 360 and HD-DVD drive together or separate for $200. I don't think developers have the stupidity to put their games on hd-dvd soon, that's like supporting a new console entirely.

Microsoft should have delayed the system and released one with hd-dvd drive, hdmi, better processors, more ram, and better gpu a year later.

0_o

So giving the current 360 a lifespan of 4 years is okay?

Ponn

Banned
All I will say on this issue is that anyone that thought the moment the HD-DVD add-on was confirmed that MS wasn't thinking or testing using it as a game drive were just deluding themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom