• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Officially Denies HD-DVD 360 Games (Was: MS rules out HD-DVD games "this holiday")

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
soul creator said:
An MS employee also said before that if they really wanted to, they could add a Blu-Ray drive to the 360. That doesn't mean that "omg, 360 blu-ray christmas 07 early adopter's screwed!", it just means that the console has USB 2.0 ports, so they can add random shit if they wanted to. They've always maintained the "expandability" thing with the 360.[/spoiler]

Its not about the addons though. This is specifically about games on HD-DVDs which MS said would not happen in the past. Now we've got reports saying that MS won't rule it out, thats theres nothing official on the games and that they need to revise their statement.

Ponn

Banned
soul creator said:
An MS employee also said before that if they really wanted to, they could add a Blu-Ray drive to the 360. That doesn't mean that "omg, 360 blu-ray christmas 07 early adopter's screwed!", it just means that the console has USB 2.0 ports, so they can add random shit if they wanted to. They've always maintained the "expandability" thing with the 360.

If in some alternate universe, the fate of 360 gaming in 2008 and beyond depends on 15-30GB discs, and every single developer literally can't make games that fit on a DVD, then they're leaving themselves a vague opening by saying all this.

Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's likely though. What is likely is that developers are gonna continue target the lowest common denominator: a 360 Core system. They've known about this for probably a couple years now, and they will continue to keep it in mind. They're used to it anyway...they did it for 5-6 years with the PS2. And if the 360 is a big success, they *really* won't care.

I didn't think a $500-$600 PS3 was likely either, so who knows...

You could have just posted "I don't know what MS is doing in the future" and been done with it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Agent Icebeezy said:
The HD-DVD drive has a slower trasnfer speed than a DVD drive at 12x.
So? Perfectly manageable issue.

Everyone knows that add-ons of this nature in limited in userbase penatration.
Yes, everyone knows this largely on the back of only a small number of examples like the Sega CD and 32x which made mistakes in the way they were marketed and supported. They arrived late in the console cycle, required software to be written completely custom that was not supported in any way on the base unit console and were slow to build significant support. These issues shouldn't exist with the HD-DVD add-on: it's an add-on where it shouldn't even really matter how much userbase penetration it achieves, because whatever games might get released in HD-DVD friendly format should still also be made available in DVD format for the base 360.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bud said:
why the **** was this thread locked?

it took away all it's thunder :(
No shit.

It was stickied so posters would see the news had already been dropped, instead of a bunch of copycat threads coming up that we'd have to lock anyways. There is method to my madness, folks.

*nod sagely*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's up now, it's a much clearer denial that they've any plans to allow games on HD-DVD, and a reassertion of why everything is AOK with DVD. They even get in an obligatory mention of Oblivion :lol

BuddyC

UPDATE: Looks like we can put the issue to rest. Microsoft has, once again, officially denied they will be releasing games on the upcoming HD-DVD format, confirming the add-on will be movie-exclusive. The statement released from the company this afternoon makes that pretty clear, and they don't appear to be leaving room to budge:

We're seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no.

Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, we've been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD.

At this point, we haven't seen anything to suggest that next-gen DVD formats offer a better game experience than current DVD. What we do know is that these formats will bring added cost to game developers, disc manufacturing, and could even result in added costs and longer load times for the consumer, which would negatively impact the game experience. We are focused on making great HD games available to consumers now, and games like "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" clearly show that beautiful high def graphics and huge, immersive worlds to explore are possible on the DVD9 format. -- Microsoft spokesperson
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152888

Yea, I'd say that doesn't really leave them with my wiggle-room.

gofreak said:
It's up now, it's a much clearer denial that they've any plans to allow games on HD-DVD, and a reassertion of why everything is AOK with DVD. They even get in an obligatory mention of Oblivion :lol

haha, I bet that was a message board reference on their part

I know it isn't going to happen. It just can't. Unfortunately, something deep down in my gut tells me that the HD DVD add on will be used for more than just movies sooner or later. We will see.

Mmmkay

Piper Az said:
Wait, does this mean we're done with this thread? :)

edit: I can see whoever gave out the ambiguous reply at MS (i.e. first response) getting yelled at by the higher-ups.
I imagine Dave Luehmann's getting an earful too. But yeah, thread over I'd guess. Despite the speculation coming from senior management, it has been officially denied as policy so there's nothing left to say on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom