• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry computer noises, help.

I remember hearing this kinda noise weeks before my PSU blew-- taking my APU and Motherboard with it.

Granted, it could be something else, or nothing entirely. That's just my experience.

I can't really tell if the noise is bad from the video, but if it's coming from the PSU as it seems from the video, I'd recommend you replace it because if that fails it could fry your motherboard and other parts.

melli

Neo Member
Oh hay, my first post on GAF.

I can't identify the sound very well from the video, but most often noise from PSU (and very often GPU's too) are related to the coils.

It's often referred to as Coil Whine/Noise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

It's not harmful for your computer, but it can be annoying to listen to.

Thanks, so it's normal when the PSU and GPU are under load. Thanks, guys. I'll try to upload a better one.

Try to listen @0:11

melli

Neo Member
Thanks, so it's normal when the PSU and GPU are under load. Thanks, guys.

Some manufacturers use high quality coils which most of the time eliminates this. Also, if you started getting this after getting a new GPU, it could just as well be the PSU that's producing the sound because of the extra power-load a new GPU often brings. It's maybe not much comfort to your situation, but when buying new gear you should always google around to hear other people's experience on that product. It's often related to manufacturers (which coils are used), but sometimes certain designs are more exposed to it, like the GTX 970 cards, which (across most manufacturers) tends to have more cases of coil whine than the GTX 980.

That is, if it's coil whine in your case. :)

ISee

Thanks, so it's normal when the PSU and GPU are under load. Thanks, guys. I'll try to upload a better one.

Try to listen @0:11

@0:15.

It's coil whine. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it stays forever. More an annoying than a serious problem. Of course if it's brand new hardware you can try to exchange it but this isn't a guarantee fix. 970s and 980s (from all manufacturers!) had/have this problem. People complained a lot when they came out.

The coil whine on my 970 was terrible - it got better over time, especially after I ran a stress test all weekend. But it was bad enough that I wound up returning it. First was an MSi, second was an evga. Both had cool whine.

One way I determined it was the GPU was going into a game and uncapping the frame rate. The whine would immediately become high pitched and unbearable.

Some manufacturers use high quality coils which most of the time eliminates this. Also, if you started getting this after getting a new GPU, it could just as well be the PSU that's producing the sound because of the extra power-load a new GPU often brings. It's maybe not much comfort to your situation, but when buying new gear you should always google around to hear other people's experience on that product. It's often related to manufacturers (which coils are used), but sometimes certain designs are more exposed to it, like the GTX 970 cards, which (across most manufacturers) tends to have more cases of coil whine than the GTX 980.

That is, if it's coil whine in your case. :)

My gpu is an R9 390 and the PSU is a EVGA 750W NEX750B 80P

Top Bottom