• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So in essence, Naughty, GG, Poliphony and SSM asked for this.......I'm thinking Naughty predominantly since their game lands early next year and they're doing some pretty impressive things with physics.

Funny that they're still calling for more CPU power even if they're doing lots with GPGPU already, what a dev.....

They could have wanted to do more rigid body physics stuff. That tends to run significantly better on the CPU.

Iacobellis

So... is this a drawback of using low-power AMD CPUs? I don't recall the PS3 or 360 ever receiving (or needing) "hardware unlocks", especially only two years into the generation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The PS3 was only utilizing 256MB in 2006, whereas the 360 was equipped with 512.

Pretty sure that has never been the case. PS3 had a split memory pool of 256 MB system RAM + 256 MB graphics RAM while the 360 had a unified pool of 512 MB (like how both current consoles work), but I don't believe a full half of that was ever reserved for the OS on PS3. They did decrease the reserved amount over time though.

Came in for a super saiyan gif and was not disappointed.

tumblr_mnh5u6ZOsq1s2gf76o1_500.gif

Iacobellis

Pretty sure that has never been the case. PS3 had a split memory pool of 256 MB system RAM + 256 MB graphics RAM while the 360 had a unified pool of 512 MB (like how both current consoles work), but I don't believe a full half of that was ever reserved for the OS on PS3. They did decrease the reserved amount over time though.

Well, no, I believe the XMB was only needing around 70MB when all was said and done. But I thought the PS3 had access to less? Was it a lack of resources or just poor development on Sony's end?

Like, I remember not even being able to access the XMB in the way beginning, and even then, we were always limited to the text chat parties and text messages.

Are people over exaggerating this, will this give games that are cpu heavy like a 3fps boost if it's running at 27fps?

They could set the cpu affinity for certain threads and get a larger boost than that, it's not just (FPS/6) * 7. If the other cores are shared for various process, sound and AI, one particularly bad rendering thread getting it's own core could speed things up a lot.

d9b

Banned
Are people over exaggerating this, will this give games that are cpu heavy like a 3fps boost if it's running at 27fps?
3fps boost?

So: 7 cores x 3fps = 21fps?

According to that logic some games are running at 18fps on PS4 at the moment (6 cores x 3fps =18fps).

Does not compute... Brain hurts.
Must...Self-destroy in 3... 2... 1...

Kayant

gamingbolt

A representative from FireLight Technologies confirmed to GamingBolt via email that the 7th CPU core of the PS4 is indeed available for the developers. However its allocation is not dynamic which possibly means that only a certain percentage of the core’s processing units are available to the developers. The representative also revealed a few details regarding how FMOD is using the 7th core. FMOD is shared with other OS libraries on the core and in case FMOD doesn’t receive enough CPU, the debugging profiler needs to be used to check out what is causing the overhead

That aligns with eurogamer's source if not being the same(F-MOD themselves) although it being gamingbolt it could just be them reposting eurogamer's article.

c0de

3fps boost?

According to that logic some games are running at 18fps on PS4 at the moment (6 cores x 3fps =18fps).

The math is wrong either way as these things don't add up like that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
gamingbolt

That aligns with eurogamer's source if not being the same(F-MOD themselves) although it being gamingbolt it could just be them reposting eurogamer's article.

I wonder if there's only a partial core available currently with some first party devs being able to use the whole thing.

They could set the cpu affinity for certain threads and get a larger boost than that, it's not just (FPS/6) * 7. If the other cores are shared for various process, sound and AI, one particularly bad rendering thread getting it's own core could speed things up a lot.

thanks for the explanation. now i understand the dbz gifs :p

Jigolo

Now that the cat is out of the bag, can we expect SONY to address this with more info?

Hopefully not. They've done this in the past on PS3 without any PR. Unlike the Xbox team who seems to gloat about it when they get the chance, it's been completely opposite when it comes to Sony. Just let the devs know and that's all that matters.

d9b

Banned
I demand info. I'm entitled to it!
... or I'll punch Mark Cerny in the dick. Out with the truth SONY! Now!!!

RootCause

Hopefully not. They've done this in the past on PS3 without any PR. Unlike the Xbox team who seems to gloat about it when they get the chance, it's been completely opposite when it comes to Sony. Just let the devs know and that's all that matters.
Ignoring the PR talk, and warrior stuff. I think it would be an interesting read.

Cyborg

Im glad Sony managed to do this. No matter how much this will help, it is certain that it will help.

For me this means a great system with great games will perform better than it does now. (Im really satisfied with my PS4)

Zoetis

Banned
Just guessing here, but it seems reasonable at least in my mind:

Exclusive to 1st party sounds like it really means 1st party are your beta testers. Unlock it for them, let them release a game or two, and see how things like

OS performance
Background music
Party chat
Secondary apps/web browser

Etc. all perform in the real world before opening the flood gates to all developers. In the name of stability of course :)

Another advantage of doing it this way is that your first party devs can work with middleware devs to start utilizing the extra core (and working out the bugs), and hopefully by the time it's available to all devs, the major middleware software already has support for it and it's an easy upgrade for third party devs.

Just think: boom, one day you suddenly have access to an extra core, and all your middleware and libraries already take advantage of it.

Anyway, I'm no insider, but this seems at least reasonable to assume... I think.

correct!

So in essence, Naughty, GG, Poliphony and SSM asked for this.......I'm thinking Naughty predominantly since their game lands early next year and they're doing some pretty impressive things with physics.

Funny that they're still calling for more CPU power even if they're doing lots with GPGPU already, what a dev.....

they didn't

So... is this a drawback of using low-power AMD CPUs? I don't recall the PS3 or 360 ever receiving (or needing) "hardware unlocks", especially only two years into the generation.

is this maybe the reason why there was no party chat and other fan request on ps3 ?

Now that the cat is out of the bag, can we expect SONY to address this with more info?

Why would they if it only helps devs ?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, no, I believe the XMB was only needing around 70MB when all was said and done. But I thought the PS3 had access to less? Was it a lack of resources or just poor development on Sony's end?

Like, I remember not even being able to access the XMB in the way beginning, and even then, we were always limited to the text chat parties and text messages.

I think the OS on PS3 needed something like 92 megs of main ram and 32 megs of video ram at launch. It partly explains how lousy some early ports were (Double Agent, etc.).

Over time Sony trimmed that down, but they also made it dynamic IIRC, if you wanted feature XYZ the OS needed N megs but it was optional.

I think the 360 OS used only 32 megs from day one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just guessing here, but it seems reasonable at least in my mind:

Exclusive to 1st party sounds like it really means 1st party are your beta testers. Unlock it for them, let them release a game or two, and see how things like

OS performance
Background music
Party chat
Secondary apps/web browser

Etc. all perform in the real world before opening the flood gates to all developers. In the name of stability of course :)

Another advantage of doing it this way is that your first party devs can work with middleware devs to start utilizing the extra core (and working out the bugs), and hopefully by the time it's available to all devs, the major middleware software already has support for it and it's an easy upgrade for third party devs.

Just think: boom, one day you suddenly have access to an extra core, and all your middleware and libraries already take advantage of it.

Anyway, I'm no insider, but this seems at least reasonable to assume... I think.

Web browser etc are foreground OS processes though? Surely they can use more CPU performance when the game is suspended (when you hit the PS button to go to the OS)?

Blanquito

Web browser etc are foreground OS processes though? Surely they can use more CPU performance when the game is suspended (when you hit the PS button to go to the OS)?

Games aren't suspended when using secondary apps like the browser. I frequently use the browser to look up info on a game/area/task while I'm playing that game, and double tap the PS button to switch between the browser and game.

If they were suspended, this wouldn't work on games like Destiny which cannot be suspended without losing a connection to the Destiny servers. But it does work for Destiny. :)

gamingbolt

That is a bit of an accusation, don't you think? They have a lot of developer access. I was checking their interview page and they really do have a lot of contacts it seems.

thelastword

Banned
they didn't
Ahhhh...I'm sure they'll be the first to use it nonetheless. Good info, thanks for clarifying that the entire core is available... as some were already implying that only part of it was available like the XB1, even Eurogamer guesstimated as such..

Ahhhh...I'm sure they'll be the first to use it nonetheless. Good info, thanks for clarifying that the entire core is available... as some were already implying that only part of it was available like the XB1, even Eurogamer guesstimated as such..

Eurogamer did not guess and they have source who confirmed that its shared between OS and Game.

Kayant

That is a bit of an accusation, don't you think? They have a lot of developer access. I was checking their interview page and they really do have a lot of contacts it seems.

It is. It's just the way they off sometimes with their clickbait and such I have my doubts sometimes.

Slightly off topic - Given both gamingbolt's source and eurogamer's seems to be the same because of both talking about Razor profiling tool I wonder why they choose to be anonymous on one and not the other?

It is. It's just the way they off sometimes with their clickbait and such I have my doubts sometimes.

Slightly off topic - Given both gamingbolt's source and eurogamer's seems to be the same because of both talking about Razor profiling tool I wonder why they choose to be anonymous on one and not the other?

I think they updated their article and now they have mentioned the name of the developer. Perhaps to defend against questioning their integrity?

Update: We have added the name of the developer from FMOD and have accordingly updated this article.

Brett Paterson from FireLight Technologies confirmed to GamingBolt via email that the 7th CPU core of the PS4 is indeed available for the developers.

Just a few simple questions:

What does this do and why does it matter?

Why do they wait to unlock the cores?

When do we expect this to make a difference for games and can it help those that have already been released?

Makes more CPU available to games, because more CPU is always good.

Because it's easier to give back, than take from. This way old games don't get broken, and the risk of running out of resources in the OS is reduced.

New games now, old games if / when they get patched.

correct!

they didn't

is this maybe the reason why there was no party chat and other fan request on ps3 ?

Thanks for the info. Since I have not seen you post before really, which dev studio are you coming from ?

And if you cannot say that of course, well, so it goes.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
3fps boost?

Common core. yum

onQ123

correct!

they didn't

Was this SDK update bigger than just unlocking the 7th CPU core? I remember something about opening the hardware to devs in the middle of PS4 life cycle.

Top Bottom