• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. DLC Thread 2: Super Smash Bros Special Broadcast Coming in December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go, K. Rool!

CU1KUF0UkAA3BH7.png
nah son

Chronoman

Banned
I really feel like if any third party character is getting in, it is someone from Level 5 or Atlus. Other than that I only see Nintendo characters

Just for random insanity, you'll see Ryo from Shenmue added to smash.

Cause really, Sakurai must be tapping into some sort of witchcraft/sorcery to be able to get cloud into the game. At this point anything is possible.

Jawmuncher

Tecmo-Koei comes to mind. Platinum's been working on lots of stuff with them lately too.

Well bayonetta and wonder red I guess would be the biggest likely people for Platinum. TK would be Ryu Hayabusa. They would probably just call him Hayabusa on the select screen.

Nosgotham

Dark souls level?

Dark souls level.
when you die your souls are scattered on the level for others to grab and get stronger.

Thank you Nintendo! (My dream)

SalvaPot

How many OT's does Smash has now 20? I think about 20.

Excited for my boy Wonder Red!

Hell, here it goes, my Top 5:
-Wonder Red
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Soild Snake
-Wolf
-Kumatora (Mother 3)

The trend seems to be major software companies that work with Nintendo to get a character. I know people will say "But Cloud!", but Bravely Default 1 and 2 are Nintendo exclusives. As such, I think we'll see an Atlus DLC character (hopefully some kind of demon), and of course there are the Shovel Knight and Layton rumors. What other major companies work with Nintendo frequently enough that they might get a character?
Natsume with a Harvest Moon character, but that's just me taking guesses.

I just wonder
what Ganon's up to
if there will be more than Character/Stage DLC. Wasn't there a thing going around that Sakurai was thinking of adding new game modes via DLC?

Clov

Well bayonetta and wonder red I guess would be the biggest likely people for Platinum. TK would be Ryu Hayabusa. They would probably just call him Hayabusa on the select screen.

Seems about right. Wonder Red wouldn't technically be a "third party" rep though, given how he's fully owned by Nintendo and all. :p

Personally I'm hoping that Cloud's the last of the third party characters, just because I want to see some more Nintendo characters make it in. They're why I buy these games, after all!

I just wonder
what Ganon's up to
if there will be more than Character/Stage DLC. Wasn't there a thing going around that Sakurai was thinking of adding new game modes via DLC?

I don't know if there'll be new game modes but I do hope we get more online options.

Like, for example, the option of being able to use Mii Fighters and custom specials in For Glory. There is no reason for them not to be toggable options considering they're available for use in Tourney Mode just fine.

Jawmuncher

Snake is taking longer because Sakurai has to work on 50+ secret transmissions about all the characters.
latest
I wonder if this is required criteria for sakurai. With rules changing, I could see him just ignoring it. Or having a generic call "Snake you need to focus on the mission!" to save time. Like he did with all of the DLC characters and palutena's guidance.

Seems about right. Wonder Red wouldn't technically be a "third party" rep though, given how he's fully owned by Nintendo and all. :p

Personally I'm hoping that Cloud's the last of the third party characters, just because I want to see some more Nintendo characters make it in. They're why I buy these games, after all!
If I just get snake back I don't care who else is added at this point lol. He's the only character I need.

This is a good point, what character could better represent ATLUS in smash? Do they even have a mascot?

Most would say Jack Frost. But if Atlus can have their way, I could see it being someone from Person 4. To the dismay of many.

Zyrox

Funnily enough, today I have finished my very first ever playthrough of Final Fantasy VII. Great game.
I'm even more excited for Cloud now. Can't wait for the broadcast.

As for character wishes outside of Cloud, I hope Wolf and Snake return. And, a little more unlikely, but I'd love for Atlus to get some sort of rep, be it either Jack Frost, Demi Fiend or a Persona character or whoever.
Also, since we are posting wishes, can I get some Shulk and Robin buffs? That'd be really cool.

The trend seems to be major software companies that work with Nintendo to get a character. I know people will say "But Cloud!", but Bravely Default 1 and 2 are Nintendo exclusives. As such, I think we'll see an Atlus DLC character (hopefully some kind of demon), and of course there are the Shovel Knight and Layton rumors. What other major companies work with Nintendo frequently enough that they might get a character?

Atlus doesn't really have a character on the same level as the other third parties in Smash, like Sonic, Pac-Man and Ryu. It's about bringing in icons, and I don't think Atlus' characters, Layton and Shovel Knight are quite at that point.

EhoaVash

Smash 4 has a mascot/character from all the big japanese publishers...except for Konami

Sega x Namco x Square Enix x Capcom

all its missing is konami, koei tecmo, ( atlus doesn't count since they'yre part of sega), Level 5, and ..idk what else

Toad.T

Banned
If we all chant it, maybe we can will a character in, like we did during the daily miiverse post days. Come on, everyone!

CHA LA

HEAD CHA LA

Revven

Cloud release + a veteran on the same day (vet could be Wolf or Snake). If it's Snake, I don't know what I want... because ideally it would be the Solid Snake from Brawl with 4 costumes dedicated to Big Boss from MGS3 (since MGS3 came out on 3DS and it also would still promote the current MGSV even if it's the MGS3 BB). Wouldn't be hard either because the Solid Snake in Brawl has a beard like Big Boss.

But if we don't get Snake then it's Wolf. I really see no reason to hold back Wolf until SF0 comes out either (or until February). If the character is done, he's done and will be released alongside Cloud much like Roy and Ryu were done and came out with Lucas.

I don't know if we'll get three characters but if we do then a possible third would be a vet and if we get Snake then it's both Wolf and Snake. But if no Snake, then another newcomer would be hard to... see unless they did something like the Inkling.

Character ballot character(s) may be announced being under development, I'd say about 3 and then they'll openly say the rest will be saved for the next Smash (or if they're porting Smash 4 to NX then for that version of the game -- but that wouldn't obviously be stated here).

I also think we're due for another new stage besides Midgar and it'll hinge on if we get Inkling -- if we don't then it's a classic stage (and I hope to dear heaven all mighty that it is another stage from Melee that hasn't been a classic stage before).

Other than that, I can't think of much else I want. It would be extremely cool if they said they'd do the following in a free update:

One vs one tourneys are now an option (meaning you can limit tourneys to 1v1 and it'll work how tourneys currently do with FFA except instead of four player rooms it'll be with two player rooms).

Teams tourneys are now an option (alongside the ability to turn on friendly fire)

An option to toggle hazards
An option to toggle bosses

-Let's face it, the above two are completely separate things. A hazard isn't the same as a boss. For example, I'm sure Sakurai would think a hazard equates to anything that interrupts the flow of battle or interrupts players which means the platforms on Wily's stage would be considered a "hazard" by him even though to us, as players, they aren't. So if a hazard toggle was the only thing he gave us, it would effectively turn off both those platforms and Yellow Devil which is not what we want.

Similarly for Ridley's stage as well, I'd imagine. Plus, I figure some people might still want bosses on but the annoying hazards alongside them off -- more options is always good.

Tournament Mode being available for players to create their own online bracket tournaments. Of course, I feel like this would kill any interest in Nintendo's own online tournaments or it might segment it even further but it really would be nice to do a standard bracket tournament with a group of people online. Plus, Nintendo's tournaments online are awful lol.

In addition to the above, Tournament Mode being available offline since all the work to giving the player the tools to create their own tournaments online would be easy to port for offline use.

The only reason that functionality was not there when the mode dropped was because they didn't make the tools for the player to make/set up the bracket tournaments. Only they have access to that stuff.

Beyond those things, I can't think of much else I'd want in a free patch. Pie in the sky is like Target Test 64/Melee-style which I know is the most unlikely thing to ever happen. But I can dream...

You know, an interesting thought I had: even if Sakurai gave us a stage hazard/boss toggle, how many stages would actually become competitively viable?

Like, for a lot of the stages, even if you took the hazards off of them, they still have layouts ill-suited for use in tournaments, due to other issues like size, walkoffs. Stages like Boxing Ring, Gaur Plains, Mario Circuit, and such aren't going to magically be viable for more serious play. In that sense, the layout of the stages themselves are also a big problem. It seems like the only stages that'd see more play are Pyrosphere and Wily Castle.

Neiteio

You know, an interesting thought I had: even if Sakurai gave us a stage hazard/boss toggle, how many stages would actually become competitively viable?

Like, for a lot of the stages, even if you took the hazards off of them, they still have layouts ill-suited for use in tournaments, due to other issues like size, walkoffs. Stages like Boxing Ring, Gaur Plains, Mario Circuit, and such aren't going to magically be viable for more serious play. In that sense, the layout of the stages themselves are also a big problem. It seems like the only stages that'd see more play are Pyrosphere and Wily Castle.
People like myself don't care about making stages "competitive." We just want to have fun on those stages. Super-intrusive obstacles like the Yellow Devil aren't very fun.

Toad.T

Banned
Can't believe in less than a month classic Nintendo icon Tin Star will be revealed for Smash Brothers.

It's been quite a ride.

You are literally the only person I've seen that even remembers that game.

Also here is the press release from Nintendo about Cloud and next broadcast is going to be last one for Smash Bros.

Nothing about segments in directs, though.

jontron_has_arrived_to_the_new_super_smash_bros__by_turnaboutking-d6bwptn.png

just because it will be years until I can use this pic again

Final smash is him getting a mysterious benefactor then pimping the shit out of Star Wars, Walmart and McDonalds.
/s

What, people are predicting James Bond? That'd be nuts.

Match victory screen is him shaking hands with everyone in a hospital.

Bond and Popeye are the only non-video game characters I wouldn't mind being in Smash, seeing as they're both actually really significant to Nintendo's history.

Popeye has a spot in Universal Studios IOA. Nintendo's getting one soon too, so...

!

Right there with you.

Same as well.

Let's go, K. Rool!

CU1KUF0UkAA3BH7.png

But this would be good too.

cant believe people still havent realized kyle hyde is the next dlc character, and also cing is being resurrected by nintendo

i mean its so obvious

*instantly gets depressed*

The "rules" are always changing with that man.

Come Smash 8, he'll add in Pink Gold Peach, Swanky Kong, Missingno, OOT Great Fairy, Madeline Bergman, Dash, Pon, Barker Bill, King from Freakyforms and Sky Skipper.

People will STILL claim he has a pattern, or he's following some arbitrary rules.

This is a good point, what character could better represent ATLUS in smash? Do they even have a mascot?

only the BEST mascot:

Rockin_Kats_cover.jpg

perfect character design 1000/10

LET'S GO SHOVEL KNIGHT YOU CAN DO IT BRO :D

Also kind of secretly hoping for some kind of stage hazards patch but it's doubtful thats happening..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom