• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criterion developed Star Wars Battlefront's speeder bike sections

Putty

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...s-battlefront-s-speeder-bike-sections/0214259

"Burnout studio hints at contribution towards EA's best-selling sci-fi multiplayer title

UK developer Criterion has revealed that it was responsible for select sections of recent hit Star Wars Battlefront.

VideoGamer spotted the studio's tweet last week indicating that it was the creative talent behind the Endor speeder bike chases that hark back to the iconic scene from Return of the Jedi.

The site also confirmed that Criterion is listed in the credits for the popular sci-fi multiplayer blockbuster."

Not sure what I feel about this. RIP Burnout? I guess it's good to do other things than NFS

Is their new IP still coming?

They've been working on a new IP for some time now. Alex Ward started his own studio and is going to make a spiritual successor to Burnout 3 though, so there's that.

Yeah I remembered the new IP just after I posted that. What kinds of manpower does Criterion have? They are doing the yearly NFS rehashes, helping Dice and whatnot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's only one bike chase.

I wonder what else they contributed to.

Mik2121

I would have kept that underwraps. Not like the speeder sections were particularly impressive.
Really? I thought it was quite fun :/

Oh yeh. The gameplay seems really fun, but too many issues etc. I'll get the ultimate edition for sure tho
Besides some iffy spawn points in some instances, what issues? I have the game but I don't think I've run into many issues (not even the invincibility bug)

TimmiT

Yeah I remembered the new IP just after I posted that. What kinds of manpower does Criterion have? They are doing the yearly NFS rehashes, helping Dice and whatnot.

The new NFS games are now being done by Ghost Games, which iirc has former Criterion people. Current Criterion is smaller than they used to be, but it does seem like the new IP has been their main focus. I doubt that developing the speeder bike sections in Battlefront took too much attention away from them developing that game. Or at least I hope it didn't.

But yeah, I don't really remember using the speeder bike that much in the game outside of maybe one or two times on one map. That and the tutorial mission. Kinda weird that they got Criterion to develop this one bit that's such a small part of the game. Though I guess they might make more use of the speeder bikes in the DLC.

The new NFS games are now being done by Ghost Games, which iirc has former Criterion people. Current Criterion is smaller than they used to be, but it does seem like the new IP has been their main focus. I doubt that developing the speeder bike sections in Battlefront took too much attention away from them developing that game. Or at least I hope it didn't.

But yeah, I don't really remember using the speeder bike that much in the game outside of maybe one or two times on one map. That and the tutorial mission. Kinda weird that they got Criterion to develop this one bit that's such a small part of the game. Though I guess they might make more use of the speeder bikes in the DLC.

Wikipedia claims that half of their (then current) staff was working with Battlefield: Hardline while the other half was working with the new IP, so that really makes me wonder about the splits, especially with the Ghost Games thrown in the mix.

Then again it's EA so I guess manpower is not one of their biggest worries.

Besides some iffy spawn points in some instances, what issues? I have the game but I don't think I've run into many issues (not even the invincibility bug)

We're talking more about the lack of content, which I'm sure the Season Pass will address adequately, making the Complete Edition with everything bundled in a really good purchase.

Criterion as we knew it is dead a long time. Most of their staff was folded into Ghost Games (they're the ones doing the NFS titles). As of 2014 there was only 25 members of staff on their books and about half of them helped out on Battlefront: Hardline and NFS: Rivals.

Edit: beaten and bruised like most EA studios.

Roussow

There's only one bike chase.

I wonder what else they contributed to.

I mean, the speeders are present in multiplayer, I guess they just worked on the controls and feel of the speeder bikes. It's admittedly not a massive task, but this is hardly a massive announcement that they were major co-developers on the game. It's likely they were just bought on for that one specific task, being under the EA umbrella. Perhaps they touched the aerial vehicles, too? That's less in their wheelhouse, but I can't think of anything else that they specifically would have been suited to.

Soul_Pie

I know EA seem bizarrely averse to releasing remasters but they're often a great chance to test the waters with an old franchise and just gauge interest. Giving Burnout Takedown a shiny new coat of paint would introduce the series to another generation of gamers, and for me personally I'd buy it in a flash. Seems a complete waste to have a studio of the quality of Criterion doing bits and pieces for other EA games.

That newspiece says that they were working on it a year ago.

Criterion as we knew it is dead a long time. Most of their staff was folded into Ghost Games (they're the ones doing the NFS titles). As of 2014 there was only 25 members of staff on their books and about half of them helped out on Battlefront: Hardline and NFS: Rivals.

Edit: beaten and bruised like most EA studios.

Exactly, thus I really don't except the new IP ever to materialize.

I'm a bit lost, is this in the single player tutorial? The Ender moon map has those bikes but the stages are very small and so busy, you never really get to use them much at all

TimmiT

Wikipedia claims that half of their (then current) staff was working with Battlefield: Hardline while the other half was working with the new IP, so that really makes me wonder about the splits, especially with the Ghost Games thrown in the mix.

Then again it's EA so I guess manpower is not one of their biggest worries.

I just looked and I can't find any source that says that half of the team worked on Hardline. The only source listed for Criterion having worked on the game is this, which doesn't say anything about how many of their team worked on it.

Xbudz

I would play an entire game focused on the speeder bikes. I really enjoyed that part, it's criminally too short though.

Top Bottom