• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Banned
[restating my doubts of the previous (not-quite-in-topic?) thread]

I don't understand whether digitimes refers to business/financial year quarter or civil year quarter.

To be honest, a financial quarter reference (i.e. mass shipments in jul-sep, as they talk about Q2 and Nintendo's FY starts in april) seems more reasonable, if we assume they are targeting a fall/holiday 2016 launch, that is.
It's Q2 for Nintendo. Their fiscal year starts April 1st. So Q2 for them is July 1st-September 30th.

Anth0ny

Why is it so consistently called a "console" in every article if it's in fact a handheld? Is that common for unannounced systems?

to ship that many units in a single year, it's probably referring to both a console and handheld.

it's not 2011 anymore. a dedicated handheld gaming device will not sell that many units at launch in 2016.

Jumpman23

To me this has to be a Handheld that pushes to a connected unit on your main TV. This is the opposite of how the WiiU did it which could be something fun for the kiddies.

Did they not learn with WiiU? WiiU in 3 years hasn't even hit 12m, so unless they believe they have a gamechanger (and I mean they're biased, why wouldn't they) I don't see how we'll see a different outcome.

We don't know if this includes the handheld SKU.

10 million for the handheld, or even both, sounds reasonable.

And when they've shipped all they stop the production? /s

I've still got a niggling suspicion this is exactly what happened with the WiiU.

Still, I'm optimistic that this means they're going to be making a concerted effort to win back the enthusiast marketshare.

Well, that or they're genuinely going to try to win back the casual market from mobile, which would be entertaining to watch the epic failure of from a purely voyeuristic point of view.

they want to outship wii u in a single year

not that that's saying much but good luck to them

Assuming they don't go some gimmick route (lulz), they need to come out swinging with multiple big first and third party titles and hardware that's, you know, made for gaming in 2016 and beyond.

daveo42

Banned
I have a feeling at E3. Then a fall release maybe.

Sounds about right. There isn't much time or even that many big events between now and then outside of GDC. I suppose they could do a Direct or even their own showing if they really want to push their new console.

schaft0620

Here is my prediction:

A).
NX has full disc based BC giving the NX a huge set of games at launch, will launch with a handful of PS4, Xbox One ports, as well as a new Mario game, Zelda and another big time Nintendo IP like Metroid. There will be mass hysteria for the console this time next year it will eat at sales for both consoles, Xbox One sales slow down big time. It will have a launch similar to the Wii where you could never get one.

B).
No physical media, retailers that make money off of physical games will be mad and not have aggressive holiday sales like they will PS4, Xbox One. Nintendo tries to push both the NX and the Wii U in 2016 because they still have to sell Wii U games. Less ports because people will be more likely to buy the physical releases on the other consoles.

Sounds good lets do this.

Leaks / reveal have to be hitting soon. No way they can keep this totally under the radar till June and E3. We will know something substantial before then.

Love all the people who seem to already know what the NX is. Please, could you tell us what games it will launch with and what kind of tech is in the machine as well?

JoeM86

my prediction stands

Nintendo are gonna release both an NX handheld console and an NX stationary console in 2016

My theory is that

Japan gets NX Handheld this year, Console next year
US gets NX Console this year, Handheld next year
Europe gets both because lolEurope

Note: the above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

NX is probably an OS that is compatible with a number of different form factors. I can see there being a high end NX console in the future.

That's exactly what Iwata and Nintendo have said about NX. It's surprising people keep missing this.

JordanN

Banned
This thing is eventually getting new mainline Pokemon, on top of all of the HD Nintendo IPs. It'll do better than the Wii U for sure.

I wouldn't say it's a sure thing. They've mostly trended downwards.

9xvoQ7X.png

ChaosXVI

All they need is 1 or 2 killer app launch games, and some proper marketing, to get a solid holiday launch next year, and be able to ride that momentum to build up a nice solid userbase in the first year. The Wii U's clunky launch, with shit-awful marketing, and no real killer app
except for ZombiU ;_;
stopped the Wii U dead in it's tracks, and they've been slowly playing catch up ever since.

Retro Studios + EAD Tokyo to deliver that 1-2 combo launch punch? Most definitely.

hodgy100

It begins.
Expecting Xbox One power for console, Wii U for portable. Shared library.

mobile hardware isn't up to the standards of WiiU yet, they just don't have the memory throughput for things like alpha effects you could perhaps get wiiU poly count and textures but with < 360 effects and post processing.

Ōkami

I wouldn't expect a reveal of the system until after Star Fox Zero comes out, or Pokken releases overseas.

They'll want to sell as many titles as possible and announcing a new system could kill the sales potential of their H1 games.

L Thammy

Numbers don't seem too odd to me. 3DS sold something like 15 million in 2011, right?

I feel like it's coming up awfully fast though. Nintendo also needs to market the thing properly in that timeframe.

I've still got a niggling suspicion this is exactly what happened with the WiiU.

Well in Europe, they just had the Wii U's shipped backed to them.

Nintendo sure seems confident about the NX so far. The were overconfident with the Wii U so they have to have learned their lesson and have a strong reason for these numbers... right?

Azure J

This is truly a unique scenario. I've never seen this before where no one at this point knows if a system is a handheld or TV set top box.

Yeah, I'm even trying to think of the phrasing used before we found out about 3DS and vaguely remembering the term "handheld" being prominent in use.

NX is for all intents and purposes an NX (NX-es?) until the proper reveal whenever that may be.

AntMurda

A).
NX has full disc based BC giving the NX a huge set of games at launch, will launch with a handful of PS4, Xbox One ports, as well as a new Mario game, Zelda and another big time Nintendo IP like Metroid. There will be mass hysteria for the console this time next year it will eat at sales for both consoles Xbox One sales slow down big time. It will have a launch similar to the Wii where you could never get one.

This is nonsensical with the little evidence we have.

1. The patent showed flash carts for the NX console. Which made sense if the media can be played by an NX console or NX hand held. No disc drive!

2. Wii U BC would mean you have to include a disc drive, and an archaic chipset that will up the price and ruin Nintendo's hope to complete with PS4/XOne at a reasonable price.

3. Wii U BC has literally 10 noteworthy games. What company would logically make BC a priority for that few games???

B).
No physical media, retailers that make money off of physical games will be mad and not have aggressive holiday sales like they will PS4, Xbox One. Nintendo tries to push both the NX and the Wii U because they still have to sell Wii U games. Less ports because people will be more likely to buy the physical releases on the other consoles.

Maybe next-generation the idea of digital only would be feasible.

IvanJ

Banned
Love all these rumors that keep perpetuating the notion that NX will not be a miserable failure like its predecessor.
I say they should be lucky to sell 10-12 million lifetime.

JoeM86

This is nonsensical with the little evidence we have.

1. The patent showed flash carts for the NX console. Which made sense if the media can be played by an NX console or NX hand held. No disc drive!

2. Wii U BC would mean you have to include a disc drive, and an archaic chipset that will up the price and ruin Nintendo's hope to complete with PS4/XOne at a reasonable price.

3. Wii U BC has literally 10 noteworthy games. What company would logically make BC a priority for that few games???

To be fair, Iwata said clearly that the NX is going to absorb the Wii U architecture so backwards compatibility is highly probable.

Anth0ny

My theory is that

Japan gets NX Handheld this year, Console next year
US gets NX Console this year, Handheld next year
Europe gets both because lolEurope

Note: the above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

This makes the most sense and would be really cool but I don't see it happening because lolnoa

Nonetheless, NX, in whatever form it takes, will launch on November 18, 2016 alongside Zelda in North America.

Ōkami

3DS released on February, iirc the FOXCONN leak targeted a release date for Summer 2016, so something like July - September.

15m is achievable, but a 3DS comparison is rather moot.

orioto

Good Art™
I love the "good luck with that" comments.. Nobody knows what the fuck is the concept of the machine yet. How can you know if it has the potential to sell that amount or not...

It's certainly not the Nintendo name only that will move that kind of consoles, .. but it's not that name that can prevent it to do it neither. All will depends on the concept. It's a start from scratch each time.

Top Bottom