• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle partners with start-up that prevents people from recording shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmonax

Saw Dave last night and had to put my phone in this. Had no issue with it whatsoever, if you do need to use your phone for an emergency it can be removed in seconds. It was awesome being at a show where everyone didn't have their phones recording the entire thing instead of enjoying it. Dave seemed more relaxed because of it too and referred to it before making a few jokes.

I saw Dave at the show in SF where he first tried these cases a few weeks back, and I agree that it wasn't a huge issue and that the show (in a large theater) felt much more intimate and the audience more present as a result. And if the bonus is that Dave's material isn't plastered all over YouTube the next day, all the better.

One of the guys who worked for Yondr said afterwards that most people had been fine with it, but that some of the bags had been returned sliced open with some kind of a knife. Now that's addiction.

Saw Dave last night and had to put my phone in this. Had no issue with it whatsoever, if you do need to use your phone for an emergency it can be removed in seconds. It was awesome being at a show where everyone didn't have their phones recording the entire thing instead of enjoying it. Dave seemed more relaxed because of it too and referred to it before making a few jokes.

Wonderful.

I'm for anything that hurts phone addicts.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
One of the guys who worked for Yondr said afterwards that most people had been fine with it, but that some of the bags had been returned sliced open with some kind of a knife. Now that's addiction.
That's the first thing I said to my friend, if anyone had any kind of small knife it would be so easy to cut open, but at least at my show they had heavy security and it would be so obvious if you were using it being the only one. It really helps the overall experience knowing it won't be all over youtube / twitter/ snapchat / etc and as a life long Chapelle fan, it was the perfect environment for me.

BamfMeat

That's the first thing I said to my friend, if anyone had any kind of small knife it would be so easy to cut open, but at least at my show they had heavy security and it would be so obvious if you were using it being the only one. It really helps the overall experience knowing it won't be all over youtube / twitter/ snapchat / etc and as a life long Chapelle fan, it was the perfect environment for me.

Serious question - how does it help the experience if you see it on Youtube the next day?

I mean, I get not wanting to have phone distractions during the actual performance (ala a phone in the middle of a movie theater), but how does it coming up on Youtube the next day in any way hurt your enjoyment of the performance that night?

Serious question - how does it help the experience if you see it on Youtube the next day?

I mean, I get not wanting to have phone distractions during the actual performance (ala a phone in the middle of a movie theater), but how does it coming up on Youtube the next day in any way hurt your enjoyment of the performance that night?

It makes it special. It was a one-time experience shared between performer and audience. Fuck the internet.

Farsi

That's a great idea, I hope they do this for comic con too.

It's unfair to the people who actually go pay to be at these events.

Red_Man

It makes it special. It was a one-time experience shared between performer and audience. Fuck the internet.
This. Tickets were $91, seeing it live and then knowing it's up on Youtube or whatever the next day lessens the experience. It made it a lot more intimate and made the experience that more valuable knowing that the only people seeing it are the people who actually went. Dave even made a few jokes he prefaced by saying he's only saying them because no one was able to record it.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Sounds great

This. Tickets were $91, seeing it live and then knowing it's up on Youtube or whatever the next day lessens the experience. It made it a lot more intimate and made the experience that more valuable knowing that the only people seeing it are the people who actually went. Dave even made a few jokes he prefaced by saying he's only saying them because no one was able to record it.

I like the idea of this freeing him to try out some material he might not otherwise feel comfortable doing knowing it might be recorded. However, I don't agree with you feelings on the experience being cheapened by it being up on Youtube the next day.

What about that cheapens it? You were there. Live. In person. You could feel the magic that those on Youtube will never feel. Do you feel the same about going to sporting events? Concerts that might be aired later?

The experience is being there. It being displayed later on on whatever medium of choice doesn't cheapen it. At least to me, anyways.

NeonBlack

I don't agree about making it more valuable. You saw it live and the one on YT is shitting quality and shaky cam.

I like the idea of this freeing him to try out some material he might not otherwise feel comfortable doing knowing it might be recorded. However, I don't agree with you feelings on the experience being cheapened by it being up on Youtube the next day.

What about that cheapens it? You were there. Live. In person. You could feel the magic that those on Youtube will never feel. Do you feel the same about going to sporting events? Concerts that might be aired later?

The experience is being there. It being displayed later on on whatever medium of choice doesn't cheapen it. At least to me, anyways.

I'm gonna youtube you and your partner fucking.

yssoy4wsiw.gif

Unbelievable.

RedSparc

Banned
Gotta love the pics or it didn't happen generation taking issue.

I went to a death cab show at the independent in SF in 2014 and smacked 3 phones out of the hands of people who obstructed my view when they held their phone out over my shoulder trying to record songs that will just sound like shit anyway because its way to loud.

It's quite amusing seeing techbros contemplate their next move after I tell them to go eat a dick, it's what they get. Fuck people on phones at any sort of live event that is pay to watch.

Red_Man

I'm seeing Dave Friday, good to hear!
Toronto show? Have fun man, he has a lot of material on Canada / Toronto specifically, it's hilarious. I wish I could go to his last show just to see how much changes from his first.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How do you see it?

Fuck no. I also wouldn't trust it in some pouch that stops it from working. Not gonna go incommunicado just because some dude is insecure, no matter what the solution is. If you are confiscating my property in order that I may attend, I'll sit it out thanks.
That is fine. Stay home or go to a bar. I don't wanna sit next to ya anyway texty.

Gotta love the pics or it didn't happen generation taking issue.

I went to a death cab show at the independent in SF in 2014 and smacked 3 phones out of the hands of people who obstructed my view when they held their phone out over my shoulder trying to record songs that will just sound like shit anyway because its way to loud.

It's quite amusing seeing techbros contemplate their next move after I tell them to go eat a dick, it's what they get. Fuck people on phones at any sort of live event that is pay to watch.
I like your style.

Fucking have a real sincere memory. It's actually way better than getting some more likes on FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom