• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
TwYX5av.png

(Thanks Zabojnik)

What is Star Citizen? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJx4TdshFA
A good short intro (3:27)

"What can we currently do in this game?"
Summary here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Getting Started: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/getting-started
Starter guide video by BoredGamer: https://youtu.be/TlR18yxoQl8

Free Flight demo periods are often available around events, which lets anyone create a free account and try out the different ships and game modes. There isn't one active right now. The next one will probably be around Gamescom, August 22-26.

You can get a base package for either the MMO (Star Citizen) or the single player portion (Squadron 42) for $45, and from there you can add the other piece for $15 ($60 total).
Star Citizen option: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now
Squadron 42 option: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Standalone-Pledge
They sometimes have discounts available around events, in the ballpark of $10 off.

What's coming up in 3.0? https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.0.0
(note: the estimated date here is just a fan's estimate based on the completion of items on their published schedule report)

"Director mode" controls: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5kr5zf/director_mode_camera_controls/

Click images for full size. These are all in-game.

Players start at Port Olisar, a station orbiting the huge gas giant Crusader (50% larger than Jupiter) in the Stanton system.

The hub in the middle of the station allows players to request ships to be delivered to the launch pad:

You go through the airlock to your ship, climb in, take off and make your way into the system.

Players reach waypoints using Quantum Drive, seamlessly travelling across the huge 64-bit map at 0.2c:
SereneImpartialHoatzin-size_restricted.gif

Some basic missions have been implemented:

Security Post Kareah is a free-for-all PVP station for FPS combat:

New and improved EXPLOOOSIONS
S4XAayl.gif

"Do we have a GAF guild?"
Yup! Sign up here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/NEOGAF/

After applying, please verify by posting your SC username here or sending a PM to one of the listed officers.

"What ship should I get?"
For the best bang for your buck, I'd just recommend getting the base game package if you're interested in backing early. The NeoGAF org already has a ton of ships with seats to fill and loaner ships to go around to help get people get up to speed at launch.

Behold, the GAF armada:
Full size: http://i.imgur.com/liWp2qS.png

I like the sound of the flight model changes. I still haven't bought in yet but I'm getting tempted by the latest I've seen, though I'll probably wait a bit longer as they work on stability.

Posting in the most ambitious and high-fidelity thread that has ever existed in gaming.

edit: great descriptive OP describing the new 2.0! (I enjoy my screenshot there). Thx Raticus

CHC

Beautiful. I was actually going to remark this week on how outdated it seemed like the old thread (Arena dogfighting commander module or whatever title) was. Felt like we'd been on that one FOREVER.

tuxfool

Banned
People looking for a size comparison, the ship (a Bengal) in this image from the initial video, is the grey hull in the bottom corner of the second image:

odm7mgr8i9rtc.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yay, another thread in which to describe my travails attempting to download the damn game and get the damn game to run on my quickly antiquating hardware!

Yay, another thread in which to describe my travails attempting to download the damn game and get the damn game to run on my quickly antiquating hardware!

And to think about how your 7870 is in comparison to other popular
console
hardware here on GAF. This game is just toooooo next gen. >D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Beautiful. I was actually going to remark this week on how outdated it seemed like the old thread (Arena dogfighting commander module or whatever title) was. Felt like we'd been on that one FOREVER.

A year, six months and a week, to be exact! Development's been ... a little rockier than they expected. But at least tonight marks good progress.

And to think about how your 7870 is in comparison to other popular
console
hardware here on GAF. This game is just toooooo next gen. >D

Haha, I know. "Whyyyy can't this be ported to PS4???"

Shy

I have no idea what i'm doing in this, it's going to take a while to the hang of the controls. (which i haven't even figured out what most of them are) but god does this game look gorgeous.

Hylian7

I'll have to give this a try eventually, but can't buy it right now.

Couple of things I'm curious about for those that have this:

What all is there to do in the universe? Cargo, bounty hunting, piracy?

Can you actually walk around in your ship? That's something I've been wanting in Elite: Dangerous for a while now.

StereoVsn

So, what's this about $30 sale? I just snagged Elite for $15 but wouldn't be opposed to SC for $30.

Edit: Question, what happens if you get your first ship blown up? Is there a crappy freebie replacement or some sort of insurance? Oh, and are missions any good?

tuxfool

Banned

Can you actually walk around in your ship? That's something I've been wanting in Elite: Dangerous for a while now.

You'll have to note the Alpha in the title. It really is alpha.

Now, all those things you have listed are definitely planned, but currently what is there is just an area around a planetary system with a few missions scattered around.

Yup. You can walk around, get out board/steal other people's ships. Get out into space stations etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFWvnaUNS9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qAtqm4XUI

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

The "universe" is only a partial system right now. These are very early days. You can dogfight with other players if you want. You can do a mission that involves going to some comm relays, fighting off AI pirates, and getting out of your ship to go into the comm relays to trigger them to turn on. You can go to a station and get out of your ship and fight other players PVP style. The various jobs that will be in the final game (cargo hauling, exploration, info running, mining, bounty hunting, piracy, etc.) have not been implemented yet.

So, what's this about $30 sale? I just snagged Elite for $15 but wouldn't be opposed to SC for $30.

Edit: Question, what happens if you get your first ship blown up? Is there a crappy freebie replacement or some sort of insurance? Oh, and are missions any good?

In the final game, you'll have to pay a small insurance fee with in-game money to get your ship replaced. (If you don't, you'll be stranded on a planet until you buy a ship, and if you don't have enough money, you'll have to be hired by someone else — real player or AI — to man a turret or a station on that someone else's ship to earn some money. Or maybe be hired to fly someone else's cargo hauler to transport goods to earn money. That sort of thing.)

Right now, nothing is permanent, so if your ship blows up, you'll wake up back at the station where you can get back into one of your ships and fly off again. No consequences right now.

Hylian7

Also that video of walking around in the ships with interior damage. Man Elite needs to have that so badly, I want to walk around in some of the cockpits in that game...

Tuber

$30 is the discount price that has popped up, most recently during the anniversary sale. Basic packages are usually $45, but there's no reason you need to buy in now unless you want to back the game, so if you'd like to aim for that $30 price, bide your time.

If your ship gets blown up right now, there is zero penalty since we're still in the alpha development phase. In the "real game" after release, it's replaced under the ship's insurance policy. Preorders/pledges have a certain amount of insurance included, and once that runs out, you can re-insure your ship. If you lose a ship without insurance, I assume it's gone.

Missions right now are very basic. 2.0 is the introduction of the missions system and it will probably change a lot going forward. As much as I enjoy the game, I do want to emphasize that it's very much still in development, so keep that in mind.

Finally, you can head over to the website and register now and play for free until the 14th, I believe, so go give it a shot if you're curious!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The one damn game I want a damn PC for, and it happens to be the damn game that requires a damn good PC.

Earth hates me. I'm going to space.

tuxfool

Banned
I knew it was an Alpha, I was just curious what was in right now.

See the second video in my post too (you'll get a good idea of the interplay between ship combat and fps combat), however I usually state that upfront to set expectations. I don't want anybody to get into things that they are not ready for.

SRTtoZ

So wait, can I fly my Freelancer yet? I haven't really kept up with everything because its been a long road but I log in every now and then to see whats changed.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Posting in the most ambitious and high-fidelity thread that has ever existed in gaming.

edit: great descriptive OP describing the new 2.0! (I enjoy my screenshot there). Thx Raticus

Thanks, I need to sign up for abload.de one of these days. Imgur isn't doing my shots justice.

18 months! I still need to pull in some info from the old thread and add some more basics for people seeing the game for the first time.

During the week of anniversary sales last month, they had a thousand or so $30 packages available each day. They might do something similar with their holiday livestream coming up on Dec 16th.

There isn't an economy implemented yet - at this stage we're just flying around, seeing the sights, ambushing each other at repair stations, shootouts at that PVP station, and doing those basic missions. They involve going to waypoints, killing some stuff, getting out of the ship and interacting with things on satellites to fix them (for example).

The Crusader map is mostly sandbox at this point - there isn't a progression yet. The novelty is in being able to hop into the larger ships together and try out the new mechanics. The missions are mainly there as starter activities proving out the quest system itself and the underlying requirements like being able to stop your ship, get out, slowly jetpack your way over to the station, fix it and get back in.

If you're in the mood to work toward something, there's a fun loop of working your way up toward better ships and weapons by earning REC in co-op Arena Commander matches in Vanduul Swarm. I expect they'll probably make it possible to earn REC by completing missions and other activities in the Crusader system soon (just speculating here).

Yes, your character walks up to your ship and either climbs into the cockpit of smaller ships or enters through elevators in larger ships. Players operating turrets would walk inside toward the turrets, while the pilot/copilot would get in the seats up front.
Here's a video of the Constellation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC17567Zg8Y

I've been in the PTU for a little while now. 2.0 is such a huge step forward! Can't wait to play with many of you. :D

The flight model changes make a great deal of difference as well. Constellation feels very heavy to fly.

CR said they may put out another update before the end of the year. We'll see how that goes this close to the holidays though. :p

Gonna leave my PC on over night to download, can't wait to get back in and try all the new stuff, and I hope they get the Freelancer done soon, I've been itching to actually fly it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it at $100 million in the next day or two with 2.0 being released.

AngerdX

I've been in the PTU for a little while now. 2.0 is such a huge step forward! Can't wait to play with many of you. :D

The flight model changes make a great deal of difference as well. Constellation feels very heavy to fly.

CR said they may put out another update before the end of the year. We'll see how that goes this close to the holidays though. :p

Yah they hope to get 2.1 out which should have some more good fixes according to sean tracy, also a new PTU is likely no eta on it tho.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So, I started watching videos.

This is kind of my dream game. To hell with it, I'm starting to save up for a gaming PC immediately.

Absolutely amazing work y'all are doing.

I'm pumped. I'm thinking I'll still wait until they move to releasing patches.

Really cool, except there are missions where you don't actually earn anything?

SRTtoZ

So, I started watching videos.

This is kind of my dream game. To hell with it, I'm starting to save up for a gaming PC immediately.

Absolutely amazing work y'all are doing.

This game has the potential to be one of a kind. Well worth it.

Top Bottom