• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII announced for summer 2016, Trails of Cold Steel 3 also announced

Dio

Banned
Since Falcom said Cold Steel 3 is a big jump graphically from CS2, and this isn't that much of a leap and Ys 8 has been in the oven for a while, I think this game won't be looking as good as CS3 will.

duckroll

Since Falcom said Cold Steel 3 is a big jump graphically from CS2, and this isn't that much of a leap and Ys 8 has been in the oven for a while, I think this game won't be looking as good as CS3 will.

Well Celceta looks worse than CS...

I just hope it can be better than Ys Origin.

Origin has spoiled me so hard with how good it was. I have Celceta but can't get it in me to finish it. Still stuck in that forest area where you get small.

wrowa

Well, Trails is the much bigger franchise for Falcom, so it makes sense they put more resources into it.

However... I wonder how much of a graphical leap we can reasonably expect. CS's performance on Vita was kind of bad (I don't know if this was improved in CS2) and since I doubt they'd stop supporting that platform, I'm not sure if there's really a lot of room for graphical improvement. But, of course, maybe CS1's performance was mostly due to the team's inexperience with the platform.

Ys VIII looks weird, but so did Celceta. The look they are going for is kinda weird and I think it's one of those cases where I'd rather chose the small screen handheld experience over the big ass TV one because it looks even weirder on a huge screen. If the performance holds up, that is.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, Trails is the much bigger franchise for Falcom, so it makes sense they put more resources into it.

However... I wonder how much of a graphical leap we can reasonably expect. CS's performance on Vita was kind of bad (I don't know if this was improved in CS2) and since I doubt they'd stop supporting that platform, I'm not sure if there's really a lot of room for graphical improvement. But, of course, maybe CS1's performance was mostly due to the team's inexperience with the platform.

Ys VIII looks weird, but so did Celceta. The look they are going for is kinda weird and I think it's one of those cases where I'd rather chose the small screen handheld experience over the big ass TV one because it looks even weirder on a huge screen. If the performance holds up, that is.
I'm currently playing Cold Steel and stuttering on some cutscenes apart i don't see any problem.

There's room for improvements, vita can do better than Cold Steel, don't forget digimon for example
cwdmfsP.jpg

But also SAO Lost Song, graphics-wise it may look just slightly better, but it's action, open world-ish and you can fly.
sword-art-online-lost-song-recensione-screenshot-11.jpg

But also atelier and neptunia and other games look good too.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Prepare yourself. There's a handful of areas that have a framerate in the single digits later on.

I saw very low frame rates in some cutscenes(for example the ones in the big city IIRC), but not during the gameplay, i'm at chapter 6 though.

I saw very low frame rates in some cutscenes(for example the ones in the big city IIRC), but not during the gameplay, i'm at chapter 6 though.

Some of the big city gameplay definitely had bad framerate even when exploring, but you haven't seen the worst yet. You'll know when you get there. It's not a huge issue, but it actually made me a bit dizzy.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Some of the big city gameplay definitely had bad framerate even when exploring, but you haven't seen the worst yet. You'll know when you get there. It's not a huge issue, but it actually made me a bit dizzy.

I mostly use the quick travel so maybe that's the reason, but i don't remember problems, i guess i'll soon see the worst though.

StereoVsn

Cold Steel 3 better come out on PS4 considering it will be a 2017 (maybe late 2017) release. PS3 sales are dead and will be dead/buried by end of 2016. Vita... is also obviously not doing well but I believe software wise its doing better then PS3 for its community niche (aka right where Xseed plays).

Really interested in Ys 8 as well, looks pretty great compared to say Celceta. I am a bit of meh on Xanadu though. Probably will not go for that. Interestingly enough Ys 8 may release right around Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 in Japan... that's kind of suicidal.

Raksha

19 years old. She uses a rapier in battle. She is the daughter of the noble Roswell family of Garman, and as a noble conducts herself politely. While confused by the lifestyle of the Drifting Village, she works with Adol and company using her profound knowledge of ancient ruins, and plants and animals. In battle she is fast and has good reach, but since she can’t target many enemies at once, she finds herself in trouble when surrounded.

Staff Comment: The Garman area is located in the northeastern part of the Romun Empire, and many of its people are made of fortitude and vigor. This is the first time Raksha is meeting Adol and company. By taking advantage of her reach, you can follow up a preemptive attack with consecutive attacks.

Sahad

41 years old. He uses an anchor in battle. He is a fisherman from the Greek area and has a lovable personality. He works with Adol in order to return to his hometown where his family is waiting. He has high attack power and can attack many enemies at once, but has open spots.

Staff Comment: When it comes to playable characters in the Ys series, he is the oldest. He was a passenger on the same boat as Adol.
System

Attacks have three attributes: “Slash,” “Shoot,” and “Strike.”

When you attack your enemy’s weak point, they’ll “Break” and all attributes will damage it.

Staff Comment: The Break system has an exhilarating feeling about it. We’re planning parts of the game that use the PS Vita touch screen. There is a possibility that Adol and friends will be wiped out by an Ancient attack. Ancients are completely different creatures from dragons and have no connection to the Five Dragons of Altago. Also, the jump action and switching between characters may seem similar to Tokyo Xanadu, but in this game, all of your party members appear on screen.

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-introduces-raksha-sahad#STUvGr5uM6RgvaOV.99

So they kept the 3 type system after all. Not sure how I feel about the break system, could be interesting, could be easier.

But the other comment is good at least.

There are also scans on the web, which you can easily find on twitter. Too tiny though

Wagram

The one thing I dislike about the three party system they've been using is I always feel like Adol is the weakest. :/

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I have just started playing my very first Ys game....Origin, and I love it! Question for you all:

Since it appears that VII is unlike to see an English PC port any time soon, which version should I get....PSP or....?

I have just started playing my very first Ys game....Origin, and I love it! Question for you all:

Since it appears that VII is unlike to see an English PC port any time soon, which version should I get....PSP or....?
The only other version is the PSP version. It is compatible with the Vita if you prefer that system's screen and controls.

Top Bottom