• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games explains why they've been working on so many exclusives, has 200 staff

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm pulling this out separately from NinjaCoachZ's thread so that one can focus more on the game interviews: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/inside-platinum-games-japans-most-unique-game-deve/1100-6433280/

GameSpot said:
Now 200 people strong and 10 years past its break from Capcom, Platinum Games' name is synonymous with action games. But according to its developers, they've only just begun showing the world their capability.
"We don't have a specific stance towards console exclusives, but what we do have are games that we really want to make, and it's very difficult now to find partners who are ready to make big bets on larger games like that," he explains. "One of the ways that you can get a partner who will buy into that vision is to go into places, especially console makers who have hardware that they want to sell and want to make content that sticks out. A lot of times they will champion a product like that, so we've used that route to accomplish our goal of making these games that we want to make. Nier is a special case where the publisher decided on the console exclusivity, and that was part of their business decision and that's totally okay, but in the cases where we've created a console exclusive, that's often been a case of us wanting to get a game made and not stopping until we've done that."

ZVWqL28.gif

DZ_b_EZ

I'm totally fine with this. As long as they're able to keep making games I'm okay with this method.

Seems fair enough to me particularly given the success of some of their games in terms of sales. A team who can provide high quality games, on a good schedule on-time (I think they're pretty timely?), platform holders are the ones most likely to keep taking more risks I think.

Metal Gear Rising did pretty well I think? No idea on their Activision stuff

They dont choose platforms. They pitch games to companies or either companies hire them. They are a developper, not a publisher hence why they own none of their IPs.

TreIII

I'm alright with this. It means they're able to contribute more stuff like Nier: Auto, Star Fox, the upcoming TMNT and everything else in between.

Keep giving me reasons to support your wares, and I'll be there.

The fact that all of the major console manufacturers actually are beginning to see Platinum as a valuable asset to strengthen their business / game libraries is actually huge. It's so incredible to see how far they've come since they were Clover.

Between even Microsoft taking interest in them and Bayonetta making into Super Smash Bros., they're seriously on top of the world as far as Japanese developers go. This has been an amazing year for them.

george_us

Wow they're pretty damn big now. I love the fact that they have multiple games in development instead of going all in on one game though.

ezekial45

Banned
Good to hear! They're gonna be busy in the next few years, and I'm glad that they've got a whole assortment of titles in the works. I think I'll end up getting all of them at some point.

By the way, what's their best selling title?

TreIII

Where is my TMNT info? That's all that matters right now. I need 4 player co-op and unlockable Slash and the bunny
Ask Activision. It's their product, and thus, the game will be announced on whatever their time table is.

I would imagine that since the rights were found mere weeks ago, we still got like 3-6 months to go before a full-fledged reveal.

Fury451

Banned
Glad they're doing well as I enjoy their products, but serious question: Why are a lot of their games so short?

Yes there's some incentive to go back for extra items and such in certain games (like Bayonetta), but most of them feel over far too quickly and often there's not a lot of content or reason to go back. Transformers being the most recent example.

Salebound can't come soon enough.

The fact that all of the major console manufacturers actually are beginning to see Platinum as a valuable asset to strengthen their business / game libraries is actually huge. It's so incredible to see how far they've come since they were Clover.

Between even Microsoft taking interest in them and Bayonetta making into Super Smash Bros., they're seriously on top of the world as far as Japanese developers go. It's so cool for me to see. This has been an amazing year for them.

Except Sony, they're the only ones not having an exclusive Platinum title.

Caayn

Nier is a special case where the publisher decided on the console exclusivity
Square Enix wanting Nier to be a PS4 exclusive seems rather strange. They've got nothing to gain from publishing exclusively on one platform when there are two very similar platforms.

For me, Vanquish was their best and they're yet to come close to it.

I'm glad people like Platinum and all, but they just don't make games I want to play.

Maybe if they're getting busier and getting more staff, maybe I'll someday get Vanquish 2.

Fbh

Im ok with this.

They are one of my favorite devs and they keep delivering great games and projects to get excited about

AmuroChan

ND has 300 employees no? They also don't have Beetribe and Hexadrive co-developing their games.

At least 300. Druckmann at PSX said 300 are working on UC4. It's possible that there's a separate, much smaller team in pre-production for their other project.

Begaria

Damn, I didn't realize they were getting so big. That bit about Nier: Automata being console exclusive I think is new. Last interview I remember was the producer (I think) saying that it was undecided whether it would be either a PS4 exclusive or at least console exclusive.

They make good games, and they make other games good.bhey did surgery on Metal Gear Solid: Rising and saved that concept's life.

Let them grow

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Square Enix wanting Nier to be a PS4 exclusive seems rather strange. They've got nothing to gain from publishing exclusively on one platform when there are two very similar platforms.
What he means by that is that Square Enix went to Sony for co-marketing funds in exchange for exclusivity because they want less financial exposure on a risky game.

AntMurda

One studio working on 1-2 games at a time versus another studio working on 3-5 games at a time. Yeah, they have to expand to keep up with their work load.

Platinum Games isn't one studio doing the work. They have big co-development partners involved in their games. Then they also use a bunch of smaller outsource studios like Avant and Digital Labs. Naughty Dog exerts an unprecedented amount of staff onto their AAA games. They work very differently than Platinum.

Arklite

I do wish they got a chance to make more in house original stuff like Vanquish and Max Anarchy, but I can't complain about their output either way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Platinum Games isn't one studio doing the work. They have big co-development partners involved in their games. Then they also use a bunch of smaller outsource studios like Avant and Digital Labs. Naughty Dog exerts an unprecedented amount of staff onto their AAA games. They work very differently than Platinum.

Well, I mean, Ubisoft throws 1000+ people at Assassin's Creed so it's not really unprecedented.

True Fire

How is it strange? Xbox One isn't remotely viable in Japan, while PS4 is getting Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII, and Kingdom Hearts III, so it will be viable in Japan come next year.

I am happy that they recovered after Anarchy Reigns.

200 isn't a lot considering that they are making: 3 different games for 3 different platforms. They seem to be targeting 3 60$ games this year, Also TMNT rumors might push it to 4.

You can say that they are talented, but you cannot juggle all those games without making any kind of sacrifices: cutting on visuals, reducing content/modes, shortening campaigns and stories.

Top Bottom