• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 PC Screenshot Thread of No Compromises

midhras

@Midhras

Did you delete your Witcher black Wolf picture on Flickr? There was a discussion in the comments about the SSAO fade in code and how to fix it in ReShade... I can't find it anymore, do you remember that one?

I've set it to private, as the shot wasn't good. The discussion was, so I kept it.
Here's a pastebin of the discussion:
http://pastebin.com/9sWhQNxT

EDIT: shit, I'm top post. Er... low res screenshot then:

VgEb.png

Durante

And don't take (or post) screenshots which prominently show off low-res assets :p
This is the hardest part in a game as inconsistent as LR by the way, e.g. I just went through ~40 shots to select these two. And while they don't show any egregiously bad assets (you should see some of this stuff) there are still some pretty low-res textures.

screenshot_2015-12-31gykcg.jpg

screenshot_2015-12-3126km5.jpg

The only thing which has a consistently decent poly count and texture resolution in this game are Lightning's costumes :p

midhras

Thanks. I'm pretty fond of the shot myself, even if it is horribly low resolution. I'm dying to redo it, but time! I'll post back here if I ever get to it. Sadly, those ReShade settings are long gone now. They really worked well with the skin in this weather and time of day.

Chris_C

My first attempt at posting screenshots in the PC thread, read the rules but it's also my first time hosting on Flickr.

You folks are really making me want to pick up The Witcher 3 on PC, but I've already put 50+ hours into the PS4 version.

Spazznid

You got a 2560x1080 instead of a 3440x1440? You did wrong! So very wrong!

=P

What settings do you run at? Normally for most games, the resolution bump to 1440p isn't much of a hindrance, but for Witcher 3, it seems to kill me. I can run Syndicat fine, at least at 40 fps, but Witcher is like, nope, you get 20 fps!.

970 here.

I don't understand the bad reviews for this game. I'm loving it.

Some environments from the Ada Wong mission. RE 6 | Reshade

bh62016-01-0115-36-199tssl.jpg

bh62016-01-0116-37-047zsaw.jpg

It did a horrible job of explaining all the things you could do, and catered to a market that wasn't the original RE market. Personally, this was my favorite RE game by far, but, yeah.

tuxfool

Banned
What settings do you run at? Normally for most games, the resolution bump to 1440p isn't much of a hindrance, but for Witcher 3, it seems to kill me. I can run Syndicat fine, at least at 40 fps, but Witcher is like, nope, you get 20 fps!.

970 here.

That's really weird. With a 290 I get 40~30 fps at 1440p. Though I should note that I change the mipmap bias too as -1 produces way too much texture aliasing for my taste.

4865x2036. Settings are ultra or higher with the ultimate graphics options mod. My FPS is capped at 40 because that's basically my minimum, and this game feels awful when the framerate fluctuates.

2x 980TIs here. I'd recommend at least a single 980TI for 3440x1440.

Had to get in on the celebratory 2016 posting so to continue the wave of glorious Witcher 3 photos, here's one more.

23479366453_73fcabc36e_o.png

That's Hearts of Stone! Just realized where this was. I took a very similar screenshot (well... I took about 20 shots but this one is the most similar):

24132250095_41fd8defb7_o.jpg

I recommend always changing to a weather with clouds in this game to avoid banding. Or use deband.

That's Hearts of Stone! Just realized where this was. I took a very similar screenshot (well... I took about 20 shots but this one is the most similar)

I recommend always changing to a weather with clouds in this game to avoid banding. Or use deband.

Ah yes, good old banding. It's something I thankfully never, ever notice until someone points it out to me. I'll remember that Witcher 3 with clear skies is kind of bad about it.

Also I've got an ultra wide monitor en route and man oh man am I excited to trying some Witchering on it.

Lender

The Witcher! Just not the one you'd expect these days! Still, everything maxed out on 4k, it still looks pretty damn good. For a 7 year old game that is.

I didn't get very many submissions. I really need to actually mark down outstanding shots over the course of the year rather than requesting them at the end.

That'd be cool, especially when many of us are on holiday and can't submit any proposed intro shots either :p

Anyway, happy 2016 to everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute new shots soon.

rashbeep

Banned
The Witcher! Just not the one you'd expect these days! Still, everything maxed out on 4k, it still looks pretty damn good. For a 7 year old game that is.

The first Witcher wasn't very impressive considering we got Crysis that year. What was impressive was the jump to TW2.

CmdBash

Why, thank you! It's more the game, though, that looks fantastic. Very limited options to take screenshots (haven't find a cheat table for camera hacks, yet). But the non–existent HUD allows for some clean screenshots.

16330150248_ff90f784eb_o.jpg

15895296944_d64983d0a4_o.jpg

Thanks to 4k resolution you can still spot the characters in the second image (it's those details why I sometimes prefer high resolution instead of heavy (SGSS)AA)

Your shots made me want to play the game again! Is there any way to fix the jaggy shadows? Running it also at 4k and its a bit distracting in such a nice looking game.

Filben

Is there any way to fix the jaggy shadows?
I don't think there's a way since cranking up the rendering resolutions won't amp up the relatively low shadow map resolution.

As for the game itself, as beautiful it is, I'm afraid that it gets very repetitive and story won't gain much pace. I'm not far, however. But it's my first impression. Voice acting is superb; even in my native language—with high quality cast— so can't decide whether to play in english or not. Gameplay's smooth and I like the characters and their dynamics.

Risen 3
23756821339_4f5748cf9e_o.jpg

23828939970_5d083c89b6_o.jpg

viveks86

282140_2016-01-02_000c7pqw.png

282140_2016-01-02_000efuog.png

It's strange how this game handles screenshots. When I disable in-game AA and force it on NVCP, the screenshots seem to have no AA, even though it looks fine in-game! So I had to redo these shots! :/

Am I missing a /s here or something? This can't be serious....
How so? Witcher 3's downgraded visuals, something I know you're very aware of, are highly inconsostent. Yes, the game can look amazing, this thread is proof of that, but when you compare it's visuals as a whole to DA:I those inconsistencies really show. Consider the foliage for example, I'm sure you can accept that W3's doesn't come close to DAI in terms of quality and rendering. The same can be said for general world lighting, although there are some good examples in W3, it is generally inconsistent.
Like I said, Witcher 3 can look great, this thread is proof, but let's not start comparing modded Witcher 3 to vanilla DAI.

tuxfool

Banned
The same can be said for general world lighting, although there are some good examples in W3, it is generally inconsistent. .

Isn't it weird how dynamic TOD/weather has inconsistent lighting. This complaint is embarrassing. Especially coming from you.

Also, just what kind of witcher mods do you think people are running with?

So thanks to the guys in this chat I "installed" reshade. Looks really cool! Three pics I made (no post-editing...nothing too special but I like them). The first one is a bit of a bad rip-off of that pic in this thread, haha.

darksoulsii2016-01-02tasfb.png

darksoulsii2016-01-02g6sbs.png

darksoulsii2016-01-0270kx9.png

if anything DAI has a more robust engine, but the artist's teamwork was not half as good as the one that worked on TW3. Just a more cohesive look from the small details to landscapes.

Top Bottom