• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olaznoG

Game 01 - Wolfenstein: The New Order [PS4] - 10/01/2016.

Game 02 - Disgaea 4 [Vita] - 43 hours - 19/01/2016

Game 03 - Demon Souls [PS3] - 40 hours - 09/02/2016

Game 04 - The Order 1886 [PS4] - 8 hours - 28/02/2016

Game 05 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered [PS4] - 10 hours - 09/04/2016

Game 06 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered [PS4] - 12 hours - 21/05/2016

Game 07 - Steins;Gate [Vita] - 29 hours - 17/06/2016

Game 08 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered [PS4] - 12 hours - 22/06/2016

Game 09 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss [Vita] - 03/07/2016

Game 10 - Tales from the Borderlands [PS4] - 17/07/2016

Game 11 - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin [PS4] - 01/08/2016

Game 12 - Fallout New Vegas [PS3] - 21/09/2016

Game 13 - Persona 4 Golden [Vita] - 27/11/2016

Catvoca

Banned
Games completed - 59

I'm rating each game out of five, along with providing thoughts which are inside the monthly updates. The dates are in European format. I'm only counting DLC if I think it's really substantial. Any game I've finished in the past are marked with (replay).

January Games Update

Game 1:
Tearaway Unfolded 02/01/16.
3/5.

Game 2:
Hand of Fate 04/01/16.
4/5.

Game 3:
The Talos Principle 06/01/16.
5/5

Game 4:
The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna
07/01/16.
4/5

Game 5:
Persona 4: Dancing All Night
10/01/16
4/5

Game 6:
Knack
18/01/16.
2/5

February Games Update

Game 7:
Three Fourths Home 3/2/16

3/5

Game 8:
The Witness 6/2/16

4/5

Game 9:
Firewatch 10/2/16

5/5

March Games Update

Game 10:
Flame Over 5/3/16

2/5[/B]

Game 11:
Stardew Valley 25/3/16
(Finished Community Center)
4/5[/B]

Game 12:
Salt and Sanctuary 30/3/16

3/5

April Games Update

Game 13:
Broforce 09/04

3/5

Game 14:
Dark Souls 3 23/04

4/5

Game 15:
Ratchet and Clank (PS4) 26/04

3/5

May Games Update

Game 16:
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time (replay) 03/05

5/5

Game 17:
Table Top Racing: World Tour 10/05

1/5

Game 18:
Wolfenstein: The New Order 17/05

4/5

Game 19
Call of Duty: Ghosts 18/05

3/5

Game 20
Please, Don't Touch Anything 22/05

2/5

Game 21
Uncharted 4 22/05

5/5

Game 22
Hatoful Boyfriend 25/05

3/5

Game 23
The Last of Us (Replay) 27/05

5/5

June Games Update

Game 24
The Fall 02/06

3/5

Game 25
The Stanley Parable 04/06

4/5

Game 26
Gone Home 07/06

5/5

July Games Update

Game 27:
Zero Time Dilemma 01/07

2/5

Game 28:
Furi 19/07

3/5

Game 29:
DOOM 24/07

4/5

Game 30:
Soma 28/07

4/5

Game 31:
Super Mario Brothers 29/07

4/5

Game 32:
Resistance 3 30/07

4/5

August Games Update

Game 33:
Super Mario Brothers 3 08/08

4/5

Game 34:
Alan Wake 14/08
5/5

Game 35:
Mafia 2 21/08
4/5

Game 36:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 22/08
3/5

Game 37:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 23/08
2/5

Game 38:
Retro/Grade 27/08
4/5

Game 39:
AdVenture Captialist 29/8
3/5

Game 40:
Resident Evil HD 30/08
3/5

September Games Update

Game 41:
Journey (replay) 06/09
4/5

Game 42:
Canis Canem Edit (Replay) 11/09
5/5

Game 43:
Bioshock (replay) 18/09
4/5

Game 44:
Bioshock 2 (replay) 24/09
3/5

Game 45:
Bioshock Infinite (replay) 30/09
5/5

October Games Update:

Game 46:
Action Henk 01/10
3/5

Game 47:
Murdered: Souls Suspect 09/10
4/5

Game 48:
Super Mario Galaxy 30/10
5/5

November Games Update

Game 49:
Hungry Cat Picross 01/11
4/5

Game 50:
Battlefield 1 05/11
4/5

Game 51:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 06/11
5/5

Game 52:
Virginia 07/11
3/5

Game 53:
Metroid Prime 13/11
5/5

Game 54:
Oxenfree 15/11
3/5

Game 55:
Everybodys Gone to the Rapture 22/11
2/5

Game 56:
Titanfall 2 26/11
5/5

Game 57:
Steins;Gate 0 13/12
3/5

Game 58:
The Witcher 3 (replay) 18/12
5/5

Game 59:
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 28/12
5/5 (campaign)

KentBlake

I'll try it this year.

I could've started with a bang, but I finished Fallout 4 on the last day of 2015....sigh

01) Tengami (iOS): Starting with a mobile game isn't exactly what I was planning, but I was not in town, so it was my only option. Interesting game, it looks like a pop-up book and has relaxing gameplay.

02) Transformers: Devastation (PS4): Great game. It looks like the cartoon, and plays like a Platinum game should. Loved it.

03) Mad Max (PS4): One of my favorite games of 2015. I don't know why the reviews were so low for this one. It really feels like Mad Max. The car (and the car combat) is amazing, Chumbucket is a great sidekick, it looks incredible and I liked the story and the open world.

04) Emily is Away (PC): Interesting little game. Played it in one sitting. It's short, free and kind of a "typing simulator". I liked it.

05) Pony Island (PC): Another great little game. It's genius at times. It gets a little repetitive towards the end, but it's really great. I wonder if it's actually Frog Fractions 2.

06) Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS4): I didn't like this campaign at all. My favorite CoD campaigns are still MW1, BO2 and AW. This one tried to be Matrix, Lovecraft and Deus Ex at the same time and just failed. The zombie mode is cool, but takes too long to restart after you die. The nightmares campaign is a neat idea, but I just wasn't in the mood to play the campaign all over again (the game I had was borrowed from a neighbor and I had to give it back to him).

07) The Deadly Tower of Monsters (PS4): What an amazing game. It's like playing a B-movie, complete with stop motion dinosaurs, men in suit for monsters, strings showing for flying things and a hilarious commentary by the director of the "movie". Really great. I liked it so much that I got the platinum for it.

08) Until Dawn (PS4): Good game. I love the Telltale/Heavy Rain style, and this one is really good, although a bit too predictable in parts. Everyone survived in my playthrough. I got lucky, I guess. I'm thinking of maybe trying to get the platinum.

09) Life is Strange (PS4): Masterpiece. The best game in the Telltale/Heavy Rain style I've ever played (and I played them all), and my favorite so far in 2016. I've never cared so much about game characters in my entire life. I cried like a little girl multiple times (and I never cried in games before). By the way, I'm including it as a single game because I think putting each episode as a separate game is kinda cheating.

10) Actual Sunlight (PC): Short game that deals with depression. A little boring, but has some insightful text in it. If it was longer, I don't think I'd finish it. But it's like one hour and a half long, so it kept me interested.

11) Undertale (PC): Frankly, I have to say I'm disappointed after all the hype. The story is very creative, the characters are good and funny, but I found the gameplay extremely boring. The boss fights last forever, the combat is tiresome (although creative), and it seems a lot longer than it really is. Got true pacifist ending. I know everybody loves this game, but it just wasn't for me. Maybe because I'm not a JRPG fan.

12) LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (PC): The first LEGO game. I've played it several times through the years, but I had never really finished it. So I decided to finally do it. I'm glad I did. It's enjoyable, and playing it I could see how much the LEGO games have evolved.

13) Firewatch (PS4): I like the so-called "Walking Simulators", and this one is my new favorite. Good story, good visuals, great ending (almost cried). Really liked it.

14) XCOM: Enemy Within (PC): Finally played this one. Even better than I thought it would be. Played on easy, because I'm no masochist. Finished the story and did almost everything in the game. Really, really loved it.

15) Ratchet: Deadlocked HD (PS3): Average Ratchet game. Completely focused on combat. Since I'm a big Ratchet & Clank fan, I enjoyed it, but it's far from being the series' best moment.

16) Costume Quest 2 (PS4): I love Tim Schafer and his quirky ideas. This game is more of the same thing we got in the first one, but still fun. Short and sweet.

17) Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3): The worst in the series that I've ever played (and it's my tenth Ratchet game). What were they thinking? People keep trying to put tower defense into games that don't need it. Still somewhat fun, but tiresome.

18) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (PS3): Surprisingly good. I liked the story, the Mass Effect-like gameplay and the sixties vibe. Really fun.

19) Dark Souls (PC): One of my favorite games of all time. I played it before on the PS3 and did everything (didn't get the platinum, though). This time, I just played through the game, and ignored the DLC and the painted world, just because I felt like playing it again and revisiting this world in anticipation for Dark Souls 3. It's even better on PC (with DSFix, of course). And this time I managed to beat Ornstein & Smough on my own (I had to summon on PS3). I love this series so much! (and I'm usually not into very difficult games...but these games are so incredible I can't help but love them).

20) Nier (PS3): From the depths of my backlog comes this game. I'm not a big fan of japanese games (with a few exceptions), but I liked this one. It has a good story and gameplay, although the visuals are not that good. Overall a good game. I think I'll play the sequel when it comes out.

21) Gunman Clive (Wii U): Nice little game. It's a short platformer with creative visuals.

22) Gunman Clive 2 (Wii U): More of the same, but a little better and with a lot more variety. A few frustrating platform sections aside, it's better than the first game.

23) Ratchet & Clank (PS4): Amazing. It's like playing a Pixar movie. I'm a big fan of R&C, and this game really delivers. Now I wanna watch the movie.

24) Dark Souls 3 (PS4): This is probably my favorite franchise nowadays. Incredible game. It gets really hard in the second half (especially the optional bosses).

25) Hyrule Warriors (Wii U): Mindless fun in the Zelda universe with Dynasty Warriors gameplay.

26) The Fall (PS4): Interesting little game. Short and intriguing. I liked it.

27) Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India (PS4): The AC Chronicles series is not good, but it could be, if only the developers weren't so busy trying to frustrate us every second with cheap deaths....why are the Assassins such badasses in the regular games and so ridiculously weak in these games?

28) Far Cry Primal (PS4): Great! I know it's not the best Far Cry, but it's definitely the one I enjoyed the most. I loved the caveman setting, and couldn't stop playing the game. Got the platinum.

29) Quantum Break (Xbox One): I enjoyed this quite a bit, and really liked the whole game/TV show mix. I hope other games do this in the future.

30) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4): Fantastic. One of the most beautiful games ever made and a great ending (so far) to the franchise. Loved every second of it.

31) Unravel (PS4): Nice little game. It looks amazing! It gets a little repetitive by the end, but it's impossible not to like Yarny.

32) The Witcher 3 Expansions (Hearts of Stone / Blood and Wine) (PS4): Normally I don't count DLC as finished games, but these two expansions combined are much longer (and better) than many games, so I'll count them. Hearts of Stone is really good, but Blood and Wine is on a whole other level. One of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played. I'll miss Geralt.

33) Inside (Xbox One): It's kinda Limbo 2, but better in every way. Visuals, animation, gameplay, fun and puzzles. And weirdness...it's really weird. And really good.

34) Doom (PS4): I enjoyed Doom 1 and 2 when they were released. Then, years later, I tried to play Doom 3 and didn't like it. Last year I tried it again. I find it incredibly boring and couldn't finish it (and I finish more than 90% of the games I start). Then I saw the reviews for this new Doom and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. This game has some of the most exhilarating, adrenaline pumping combat I've ever played. Didn't touch the multiplayer, though...it's just not my thing. But I surely recommend the campaign.

35) Leo's Fortune - HD Edition (PS4): It's a port of a little iPad game. Interesting for what it is, but nothing to write home about. Nice visuals, not very difficult and kinda enjoyable. It's short, too.

36) Yoshi's New Island (3DS): I'm not a big Nintendo guy...but I enjoyed this little platformer. It's cute, fun, short and not very difficult. Nice game.

37) Pikmin 3 (Wii U): As I said above, I'm not a big Nintendo guy. But Pikmin is awesome! It's the first game in the series for me, and I really, really liked it. It looks great and plays very different from other games I usually play. The only things I didn't like were the controls (a little too finicky for my tastes), the time limit (I always hate playing against the clock, because I like to take my time and explore the game world) and the final level / boss (a very confusing and frustrating maze and a very long boss fight that diminished the great fun I was having until then). Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot, despite these inconveniences, and I'll probably play Pikmin 4 when it arrives.

38) LEGO City Undercover (Wii U): I've played a lot of LEGO games, and this one's a little different from the usual formula. Pretty good and funny, but I thought it overstayed its welcome just a little bit. It gets a little repetitive towards the end, and I felt like I was just going through the motions to see how the story would end. But overall a good LEGO game.

39) Headlander (PS4): I like Double Fine a lot, and this game did not disappoint me. It's a nice Metroidvania with great ideas and excellent gameplay.

40) ABZÛ (PS4): This game is a work of art. Incredible visuals, amazing setting and great swimming controls make this game the new Journey. It's short, incredibly beautiful and very pleasant to play. I'll probably play it again someday. Really loved it.

41) The Walking Dead: Michonne (PS4): I like the Telltale style a lot. This series is shorter (less episodes, and every episode is a little over 1 hour long), but I liked it a lot. It has more action, and Michonne is a badass.

42) Jotun (PC): This game looks just like a cartoon, and I liked it. It has amazing bosses and doesn't overstay its welcome (it took me 5 hours to beat it). Loved it.

43) 12 Labours of Hercules (PC): Little casual time management game. You click on things and watch little guys running around and working. Easy, mindless and colorful.

44) Bound (PS4): I love games like Journey or ABZÛ, and Bound tries very hard to be like them, but somehow it didn't click with me like those games did. It looks good (especially the motion captured ballerina), but somehow it didn't keep me very engaged.

45) Moirai (PC): It's a 10 minute game, and doesn't look like much. But there's a really nice twist to it. If you're gonna play it, go in without knowing anything about it.

46) The Room Three (iOS): I like this trilogy a lot, because it knows how to make a touch-based game compelling. I think mobile games can be really good, but only when they are designed specifically for the touch interface. I only got to one of the endings (and I'll probably not come back to the game), but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

47) Dust - An Elysian Tail (PS4): Good. It's kind of a Metroidvania mixed with fast melee combat and nice cartoon visuals. I really didn't like the last chapter, though. I hate when games do this at the end (throw a million enemies at you at the same time and then the last boss refills his life bar several times before going down for good).

48) The Beginner's Guide (PC): A fascinating experiment. It's a mix of documentary, game and apology. It lasts only one hour, but it's a pretty interesting look at a person's mind.

49) Resident Evil 4 (PS4): Finally played this classic. The camera is wonky, the game is janky, but it's also really good. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

50) Outland (PS3): It's beatiful,interesting, and REALLY annoying. The final boss in this game made me very angry and frustrated. It took me many hours to beat him, and the fact that this boss fight has six stages and if you die in the last one you get back to the start of the fight is incredibly irritating. I don't know if I like this game of if I hate it with a passion. I felt and incredible sense of relief when it ended.

51) 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (PC): It plays like a Telltale game, but it's much clunkier and the whole game lasts as much as a single Telltale episode. It also looks like a polished PS2 game. BUT it deals with a very important subject, has very good characters and kept me involved all the way through. Thumbs up.

52) Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas (PC): It's a Zelda clone, pure and simple. But it's also a good game, that is pleasant to play and very colorful.

....and that's it. My 52 games for 2016. I'll keep updating this list with the other games I manage to beat this year.

53) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4): I liked it more than Human Revolution. Although it has a few bugs, I thought it was very good.

54) Minecraft Story Mode (PS4): Definitely not my favorite Telltale game, but much more fun than I thought it would be. I loved the standalone episodes, especially the White Pumpkin one.

55) Gears of War 4 (Xbox One): It's kinda more of the same, but I like Gears.

56) The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim (PC): My first playthrough. I got the remastered edition, used a few mods and played through the main quest (and some side quests). Really good. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I'll leave it installed, and return to it from time to time for the DLCs and more side quests. This game deserves its fame.

57) Titanfall 2 (PS4): The first game I played on my new PS4 Pro + 4k TV and it looks awesome. And the campaign was better than I expected.

58) Battlefield 1 (PS4): I enjoyed it very much, despite a few difficulty spikes that really annoyed me. The World War I setting is refreshing, and the "short stories" format for the campaign worked very well.

59) Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4): I love Telltale games and comics. I loved this game too. Great Batman story.

60) Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart (PC): A casual adventure/hidden-object game. Kinda interesting.

61) The Last Guardian (PS4): What a game to close the year! I never thought I'd say this, but the almost 10 year wait was really worth it. I'm not a big Ico fan (although I love Shadow of the Colossus), and I though TLG would be a massive disappointment. I'm glad to report that I was wrong. My 4 year old girl watched almost the entire game while I played, and she laughed, cheered and cried out loud so many times...it was a real roller coaster ride for her. Trico became her favorite animal in the world. I loved the game (though it dragged in a few parts in the middle), and Trico is the most incredible character I've ever seen in a video game. I'd say he's the Gollum of video games. I was really convinced it was a real animal (and my daughter was even more convinced...now she wants me to buy her a real Trico). I think it's my GOTY (and I never, never thought I would say this).

Rahvar

Finished

Currently playing
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Starting next
Steins Gate
Danganronpa
Gravity Rush
Virtues' Last Reward
Life is Strange 1-5

Guess i'll claim a post aswell. Already finished 2 games and im really close to #3. It probably helps that i have a backlog of 30+ games i really want to finish :')

#1 - Vita - Run Like Hell! (100% Trophies)
#2 - Vita - Senran Kagura Shinobi Versus (Platinum)
#3 - PS4 - [Prototype 2] (Platinum)
#4 - Vita - Steins;Gate (All routes done + Platinum)
#5 - PS4 - Need For Speed (Platinum)
#6 - PS4 - Battlefront (Finished all the missions)
#7 - PS4 - Amplitude
#8 - Vita - Whispering Willows (100% Trophies) Boring story, boring gameplay. I want to play the PS4 version too, but im really not sure i feel like playing this again :/
#9 - PS4 - Back To The Future (Platinum) Not sure why this gets so much hate, it really wasnt THAT bad.
#10 - PS3 - Captain America Super Soldier (Platinum) Finished this in 1 sitting of 9 hours, so its safe to say i enjoyed this one. Pretty good for a movie game.
#11 - PS4 - Until Dawn (Platinum)
#12 - GBA - Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure (Finished the story)
#13 - PS3 - Mirror's Edge (Finished the story)
#14 - Vita - LEGO Ninjago Nindroids (Platinum)
#15 - Vita - Lego Ninjago Shadow Of Ronin (Platinum)
#16 - Vita - Playstation Pets (Platinum)
#17 - PS4 - Telltale's Game Of Thrones (Platinum)
#18 - Vita - Lego Harry Potter (Platinum)
#19 - Vita - Lego Lord Of The Rings (Platinum)
#20 - PS3 - Naruto Storm Revolution (Platinum)
#21 - Vita - Lego Marvel Avengers (platinum)
#22 - PS3 - Steins Gate (Platinum)
#23 - PS4 - Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (Platinum)
#24 - PS4 - Far Cry Primal

Consumer

I might attempt a trophy hunting version of this. Instead of playing 52 games, I'll platinum 17 or something. Claimed.

1. Goat Simulator (platted)
2. AC Unity (platted)
3. Wolfenstein TNO (platted)
4. Minecraft Vita (platted)
5. Tomb Raider (platted)

MetalSlug

I tried it last year, but 2015 turned out to be a terrible year and I never managed past 4 games completed.

I'll try again this year and see how I get on.

Claimed.
I only beat about 5 games in 2015. Need to clear my infinitely expanding backlog. Games in Bold will be games I'm playing currently or completed.

Game 1: Rise of the Tomb Raider (XONE) - In Progress
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

Game 2: Life is Strange (PC) - Pending

Game 3: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NDS) - Pending

Game 4: Beyond: Two Souls (PS4) - Pending

Guerrilla

let's do this....

1. Assassins Creed - Syndicate - Around 30 hours I think
#Maybe not the best choice for the first game of 2016, since it already pushed me behind schedule ;) Finished the Main Story and leveled up everything to max. So much better than unity, really had a ton of fun...

2. Outlast - Around 6-7ish hours
#Always wanted to play this, has been sitting on my xb1 for some time now. Pretty fuckin scary, though the gameplay could be a bit more varied

3. Oxenfree - 7-8 hours
#Great game with great atmosphere and a great vibe. The story/mystery was really fun to unravel. Took my time with it an collected everything.

4. The Beginners Guide - 2-3 hours
#Interesting game, though the stanley parable spoke more to me.

5. Undertale - 7-8 hours
#Fun game, can't see why it's 10/10 for so many, but it was a really fun game...

6. Bloodborne - 40-50 hours
#Wow, this game was amazing! Did all the optional areas and bosses and got the secret ending. Everyone needs to play this!

7. The Witness - around 20 hours
#Great puzzle game. I could do with a little more story though to make the mystery even more tantilizing.

8. Unravel - around 6-7 hours
#Beautiful visually, and decent enough gameplay wise, really enjoyed it.

9. Tales from the Borderlands - 10-12 hours
#Great game, horrible engine. Telltale really needs to fix this shit. The writing was funny enough to soften the edges though ;).

10. Metroid Prime - 16 hours
#In my quest to play all the classics I missed back in the day, this time it was Metroid Prime. Took about an hour to adjust to the low def resolution, but was a blast after that...

11. Minish Cap - 15ish hours
#Played it on WiiU VC. good zelda titel, not as good as the top tier though.

12. Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze - 12 hours I think
#Insanely good platformer, the art style and attention to detail is mind boggling fur a game in that genre. Not to forget the at times amazing music....

13. Firewatch - Around 4 hours
#Great story telling, liked this way more than I thought I would. Got really tense near the ending. How anyone could finish this under 2 hours is beyond me.

14. The Division - Around 30 hours+
#Much better than I expected, the journey to level 30 was a lot of fun! Won't dabble too much in the endgame though.

15. Quantum Break - Around 12 hours
#Currently my GOTY. Amazing GFX, Great Story and even greater gameplay. Remedy delivered the complete package for me.

16. Dark Souls III - Around 40-50 hours
#Amazing as expected, though the bosses were a bit harder than the ones from bloodborne. Especially the nameless king. died countless times, so much fun :)

17. Walking Dead Michonne - Around 5-6 hours
#Not Telltales best, but decent enough. Had fun playing it.

18. Uncharted 4 - Around 13-14 hours
#Great game with amazing presentation, though not ND's best imo. Last of Us is still my favorite game from them and UC2 still my favorite Uncharted game, though this is a close second ;)

19. Doom - Around 10 hours
#Had a whole lot of fun with this, can't wait for any story dlc or sequels this may spawn

20. In Between - Around 4 hours
#Good indi puzzle game with an interesting story

21. The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone - Around 15 hours
#I usually don't count DLC's but this is so substantial that I have to put this on this list, same goes for blood & wine when I finish it. That being said, the quality of this is insane. CD-Project Red keep killing it...

22. Inside - Around 5 hours
#Great game, really really interesting story and amazing visuals/animation.

23. Journey - Around 2 hours
#I Never got to play this when it first came out. Truly special experience.

24. Stasis - Around 5 hours
#I Played through the main story a couple of times. Really had a lot of fun, is there a board game version of this?

25. Hyper Light Driter - Around 12 hours
#Just great Secret of Mana vibes all around...

26. The Witcher 3 - Blood & Wine - Around 30 hours
#Perfect send-off to this amazing game

27. Quadrilateral Cowboy - Around 15 hours
#So much fun, best hacking game I ever played.

28. Dark Souls II - Around 50 hours
#My year of soulsborne continues....

29. Unfinished SwanI - 3-4 Hours
#Nice little game, nothing too special

30. Pokemon Go - 50? Hours
#Fun game, the rl community aspect was what kept me in this.

31. The Turing Test - ca 6 Hours
#Great puzzle game with an interesting story.

32. Dear Esther - ca 1.5 Hours
#Meh, could have done without it. The quintessential walking simulator

33. The Bunker - 2 Hours
#Soso FMV game, an ok time waster for 2 hours...

34. Virginia - 2 Hours
#Fun, but I could have done with a little more straight forward experience

35. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - roughly 25 Hours
#Great game, could have been even longer for my taste.

36. Arkham VR - ca 2 hours
#Best VR Experience I had yet.

37. Gears of War 4 - around 10 Hours
#Gears is back baby!

38. Battlefield 1 - around 6-7 Hours
#A little short, a little bland, could have been a lot more. Still fun though.

39. Halo 5 Multiplayer - I'd say close to 100 Hours
#Really had a lot of fun with halo 5 Multiplayer this year, best MP game in some time in my opinion.

40. Rocket League - I guess 30 hours in total
#Great smaller multiplayer game with a flawlessly executed simple idea

41. Owlboy - 10ish hours
#Throwback time. Feels like the best SNES game that never were.

42. Titanfall 2 - 7 hours
#Best shooter campaign of the year. So sad this isn't selling that well.

43. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 8 hours
#Good CoD campaign. Def. feeling the shooter fatigue but still a lot of fun with a nice self-contained story.

44. Watch Dogs 2 - Around 20 hours in total
#So much better than the first. Didn't expect much from this, was pleasently surprised..

45. Dishonored 2 - ca 15 hours
#[/B} Really good game, the environments got a little samey at the end, still a lot of fun.

46. ABZU - 2 hours
#[/B} Nice zen experience, not as good as Journey though.

47. Super Hot - 3 hours
#[/B} The most innovative shooter in years.

48. Batman: A Telltale Series - roughly 10 hours
#[/B} Not telltales best, still entertaining enough.

49. Pony Island - 2-3 hours
#[/B} As indy as they get. Really special game.

50. The Last Guardian - Around 12 hours
#[/B} Of course not as good as I'd hoped, I still had a lot of fun though.

51. Hitman - ca 10 Hours
#[/B} Best hitman yet imo, it's insane how many possibilities there are to tackle a situation.

52. The Talos Principle - Around 17 hours
#[/B} Amazing puzzle game, got the gates and the tower ending.

52/52 Done! Just in time :) on to next year!

poutmeter

Game 1: Undertale - 521:26 - 05.01
I was afraid hearing so many people gush over the game would mean the higher expectations wouldn't be met, but the game exceeded all expectations I had. Loved the cast, loved the music, loved the many little things you could stumble upon. Not sure how I feel about the story as a whole, but the game itself was an amazing experience and a great way to start 2016.

Game 2: Until Dawn - 10hs - 08.01
It's Horror Movie: The Game and I loved it. It really felt like I was watching a horror movie, except I got the chance to show these dumb horror game characters how to survive in a scary situations... a chance I totally messed up by getting all but two characters killed. As a horror movie fan, Until Dawn was a great experience -just wish the controls weren't so wonky.

Game 3: Aviary Attorney - 6hs - 11.01
I was really excited about this game when it was first announced and guess had some high expectations for it. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get into it; the first case was ok but after that I realized didn't really care for any of the characters and found the gameplay restrictive with too few dialog options -especially the optional ones. By the last case, I just wanted to be done with it.

Game 4: Oxenfree - 5hs - 22.01

Sure, I'll join in on this. It'll hopefully kick me into shape with finishing more of the stuff I buy. It also helps that I'm still in year-end crunch mode.

Game 1: Flywrench - 4 hours, 20 minutes

Game 2: The Beginner's Guide - Pending

Game 3: Her Story - Pending

I thought about doing this last year but I'm ready now. Let's do this thing. (Why 52? Is it a DC Comics thing?)

Completed

1. Riptide GP2 [Platinum Trophy]- Pretty fun once you get a vehicle that turns well! Cost only a little more than your average iPhone game too.
2. Ether One [Platinum Trophy]- Didn't like this game too much, I think the mining levels were a pretty terrible idea and the character moves too slowly in order to pad the game out which is a chore. There's some cool stuff I guess? I liked the Knocker story. I had to restart the whole game because of a save file corruption near the end.
3. The Order: 1886 [Platinum Trophy]- Bad game.
4. Grim Fandango: Remastered [Platinum Trophy]- One of the more memorable stories I think I've experienced in a game, even if it has clear flaws. I really enjoyed it!
5. Sound Shapes (PS4)
6. Danganronpa: Bullet Time Panic [Platinum]
7. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair [Platinum]
8. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin [Platinum]
9. The Witness
10. Pokemon Red (3DS eShop)
11. Dark Souls III (Platinum)
12. Sound Shapes (PSVita)
13. Stardust Vanguards
14. Infinity Runner [Platinum]
15. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
16. Street Fighter V
17. Game Boy Tetris
18. Miitomo
18/52

Currently Playing
17. Xenoblade Chronicles X
18. Persona 4: Golden
19. Minecraft (PS4)
20. Rocket League

Balthuk

You know what, I'm going to try this out this year

Game 1:
02/01/16
One Finger Death Punch
--To be added

Game 2:
02/01/16
PLUG & PLAY
--To be added

Game 3:
03/01/16
Beat: Dyscourse
A choose-your-own-adventure book brought to life through a short adventure game about a plane crash on an island. The game is short , 3 hours got me 3 different endings. The endings are varied enough to warrant a replay, the whole concept actually screams replay value. Pretty art style and cute humor.

Game 4:
16/01/16
Consortium (PC)
--To be added

Game 5:
25/1/16
Beat: D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die ( 5 hours )
Mystery point-and-click adventure game with obvious “eastern” design decisions. Don’t expect a regular adventure game, this game is more like being on drugs while playing one. Fun story and quirky dialogue/concepts. Ends at a cliffhanger but I cannot say it ruins the game as a whole.

Game 6:
2/2/16
Beat Doom.
Played Doom on ultra-violence all the way through. Have not played the fourth chapter yet, but it is said to be harder than all of doom I and II so I won’t hurry to play that. Absolutely loved it. One of the best games I have ever played for sure. By far the most engaged I have ever been playing an FPS. Freakin’ love the shotgun more than anyone should any fictional gun. I can’t praise this game enough and others have done it already better than I ever could. Play doom already!
I don’t like how buying ultimate doom through steam gets you the dosbox version which breaks a lot, mouse is erratic and you have to go into a lot of trouble to get it working. I tried GZDoom and it was very simple.

Game 7:
3/2/16
Beat: Apotheon ( 8 hours )
2d Action platformer with some metroidvania elements. Didn’t hate the combat/controls. Pretty good soundtrack. Nice change of pace with different fight/challenges that have a connection with each god. Weapons and shields were varied enough, the combat didn’t feel boring as each weapon controls differently. In the beginning, weapon degradation was annoying but now I consider it a good way to force you to use all kinds of weapons. Good implementation of elements from greek mythology. Initially, the devs were planning for this game to be in a sci-fi setting and to tell you the truth, that sounds awfully boring. The art direction elevates the game.

Game 8:
7/2/16
Beat: Out There Somewhere (90minutes)
Little 2d puzzle platformer that was surprisingly fun utilizing one simple mechanic: a teleport gun. Dirt cheap, try it out.

Game 9:
03-02-16
Beat: Psychonauts (12 hours)
Amazing game. Sense of humor rarely seen on games that elevates the game. Good memorable soundtrack, amazing art style with interesting changes in parts of the game. Every little part of the game has a charm to it that differentiates it from the others. Even collectibles have a twist, whether it’s blobs of health jumping around or figments that are collectibles designed like little stickers with different art depending on where you find them. Memorable concepts throughout the game like: Board game vs Napoleon (not a high point gameplay-wise but a cute concept), Underwater fight with a fish that joins your side after you beat her, specifically the part you are a giant destroying a city of fish, bullfighting part (god that change of colour palette was stunning), calling for help using bacon and help arriving through an old man that pops out of your ear. This game is full of charm. I realise now what makes Double Fine special to a lot of folks and cannot even think how I would have reacted if I had played the game when it originally came out, it would have blown my mind. The game does have its fair share of flaws that I’m sure you can find more qualified people’s posts about but I recommend this one as much as I can, it’s in my top 10 games I’ve played the last few years for sure.

#1 - PC - South Park: The Stick of Truth - Finally got around to playing this hilarious game. Really looking forward to the sequel. - 18 hours to finish main story line with some of the side content.

#2 - PC - Mad Max - Great open world game that truly captured the feel of the films. Car combat was good fun and the tried and true SoM or Arkham combat system works well here. Around 25 hours or so to finish the main campaign with around half of the extras done.

#3 - PS4 - ACIV: Black Flag - Replayed this again on PS4. Probably my favorite entry in the franchise. 15 hours for the main story.

#4 - PC - DOOM - 16 hours with 80ish% secrets found. Such an amazing game, had zero expectations going in, received a copy for my birthday and holy balls was that a great campaign.

#5 - PS4 - Uncharted 4 A Thief's End - 13 hours. Another fantastic adventure from the crew at ND. Still personally think that 2 is the strongest overall in the series but this one has better gameplay due to new features and refinement of old ones.

#6 - Wii U - Splatoon - 11 hours - What a fun campaign to get one used to the games mechanics. I hope Nintendo does more with this IP on the NX.

#7 - PS4 - Battlefield: Hardline - 10ish hours - Picked it up on a flash sale and it was for $10. Nice change of pace for a FPS campaign but still quite formulaic.

#8 - 3DS- Pokemon Picross - Way too much time - The whole free to start thing is annoying but it's a great Picross game and I'm the type that if you've held my attention for more than a few play sessions then your game is worth something.

#9 - 3DS - My Nintendo Picross: Twilight Princess - 10 hours - Not a lot of puzzles but it's fun enough and was free with the new coin system on My Nintendo.

#10 - Wii U - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - 50 hours - Just as good as the first time and just like Wind Waker HD the changes made to gameplay ( the quick sail in WW and the Wolf button in TP) really helps the flow of the game. The texture work is really nice and for the most part the models hold up even though they are 10 years old.

#11 - PC - The Division - 85 hours - Max PvE lvl only around 30 for PvP. Stopped playing after the 1st DLC drop. Loved the setting and the gunplay. Would like to see more variety in the missions and quests.

#12 - 3DS - Box Boy - Great little platformer with a new twist. Not a very long game but some neat unlockables and challenge stages.

#13 - 3DS - BoxBoxBoy - More of the same from the 1st game but more fleshed out and a new mechanic. Similar to the evolution of PushMo.

#14 - 3DS - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - I've enjoyed this series immensely. this one is more of the same interesting story with some solid puzzles. I'm excited fro the recently announced Lady Layton.

#15 - 3DS - Fire Emblem: Conquest - Had heard the Nohr campaign was more difficult and that is no joke. Finished this with very few people still alive.

#16 - 3DS - Kirby: Planet Robobot- IN PROGRESS

#17 - 3DS - Chibi Robo: Zip-Lash - IN PROGRESS

#18 - 3DS - Fire Emblem: Revelation - IN PROGRESS

#19 - 3DS - Paper Mario: Sticker Star - IN PROGRESS

#20 - 3DS - Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - IN PROGRESS

#21 - 3DS - Project X Zone - IN PROGRESS

#22 - Wii U - Xenoblade Chronicles X - IN PROGRESS

#23 - Wii U - Bayonetta - IN PROGRESS

#24 - Wii U - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - IN PROGRESS

#25 - Wii U - Yoshi's: Wooly World - IN PROGRESS

#26 - Wii U - Child of Light - IN PROGRESS

#27 -

#28 -

#29 -

#30 -

#31 -

#32 -

#33 -

#34 -

#35 -

#36 -

#37 -

#38 -

#39 -

#40 -

#41 -

#42 -

#43 -

#44 -

#45 -

#46 -

#47 -

#48 -

#49 -

#50 -

#51 -

#52 -

ZQQLANDER

The_Talos_Principle_logo.png

1# The Talos Principle (PS4, approx 40hrs): Loved it. The required puzzles were moderately challenging with the real difficulty coming into effect when trying to get the optional stars. Best part of the game was reading the journal logs and conversing with the AI on the terminals located throughout the world. Looking forward to playing the Road to Gehenna DLC.

header.jpg

2# SOMA (PS4, approx 10hrs): Not what I thought it was going to be, but still worthwhile picking up considering the thought provoking issues raised throughout the engrossing story.

46408ACB64ABE802023D092DE743DC66D865D5FA

3# Prison Architect (PC, approx 14hrs): Finished the five chapter campaign and felt like I barely scratched the surface of this game. Quiet complex considering all of the different facets of management one has to develop. I definitely plan on starting a new game and building a prison from scratch.

header.jpg

4# Sunless Sea (PC, approx 60hrs): This game peaked my interest mainly for the exploration element and it didn't disappoint. Failbetter games created a unique world through an engrossing story and novel characters. I've never quite played a game like this so it took me a while to catch on. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of farming involved, but after establishing a Wine-Coffee-Silk trade route I was able to retire in style.

halo5.jpg

5# Halo 5 (Xbox One, approx 20hrs): After completely solo and co-op runs I'm happy to find 343 was able to pick up the pieces following Halo 4. Leaps and bounds better in every category and with Firefight on the way I'm sure I will sink a dozen more hours or so in.

hqdefault.jpg

6# XCOM 2 (PC, approx 70hrs): I'm not sure why I'm bothering attempting to complete 52 games in a year. After beating XCOM on Veteran difficulty I realized I found the game to keep me occupied for the year. Seriously, there is that much content. The strategic improvement over the previous installment as well as the horde of new content available through the mod workshop vastly outweighs the minor, yet frequent technical hiccups.

Claimed, I'll give it a go this year.

Game 1:

Currently playing through:

The Witcher 3

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

XCOM: Enemy Within

Sakwoff

|| Full List ||

Game #1: FINAL FANTASY (PSP, played on Vita) - 26 hours - January 1 Link

Game #2: DONKEY KONG (Game Boy) - 5 hours - January 3 Link

Game #3: ORCS MUST DIE 2 (PC/Steam) - 38 hours - January 9 Link

Game #4: THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND (PC) - 5 hours - January 14 Link

Total: 4/52

Desi

Lets get it on!! I'll think I will do actual reviews in a few months time...maybe.

22/52 +1

01:: Star Wars Force Unleashed (last two levels were slogs)
02:: Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 (Prettier, bosses were all awful)
03:: Bastion (very very very fun, amazing soundtrack)
04:: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (jet ski is awful, monsters are awful)
05:: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (better than one in a myriad of ways but boy does it have some anger inducing parts)
Bonus:
Final fantasy XV Episode Duscae (like my bros; hate the quest system)
06:: Life is Strange: Episode 1 (Wow)
07:: Shadow Complex (a great metroidvania clone, the hook does take a while to get used to)
08:: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered (I liked this the best beside a few hectic gunfights)
09:: Remember Me (amazing art direction and gameplay, sucks about the number of enemies, though)
10:Tales from the Borderlands Ep 1 (a bit all over the place but a good start)
11:Tales from the Borderlands Ep 2 (Now this is what I am talking about)
12: Tales from the Borderlands Ep 3 (Queen!)
13: Tales from the Borderlands Ep 4 (yaas)
14: Tales from the Borderlands Ep 5 (lawl)
15: Brothers: A tale of two sons (oh my god love)
16: The Banner Saga (Loved this game and the sense of dredge it instills. Thankfully I kept Egil and he took Bellower like a champ.)
17: Broken Age (NO MORE WIRE PUZZLES)
18: On the Rain-slick Precipe of Darkness, Episode One (beat it before but save was wiped, good fun RPG)
19: A Bird Story - Finally got to it. Short and sweet.
20: Life is Strange: Episode 2 - Kate be dead
21: The Stanley Parable - Fun. Chilling
22: RocketBirds: Hardboiled Chicken - funny but hurts my fingers
23: Saturday Morning RPG Episode 1
24: Saturday Morning RPG Episode 2

Spman2099

Okay, I'm down. Let's fucking GO, Page Fivers.

Game 01- Castlevania Chronicles: ★★★1/2
I wanted to start the year with a bang. Fantastic game, but extremely brutal. I think this is one of the least fair Castlevania games. The arrange mode is where you should start, as it attempts to balance the original. However, even in the arrange mode, this game is genuinely sadistic. While it looks sharp, it also has the most archaic practices found in the franchise. As an example, you can't switch sub-weapons without instantly losing the one you have (so look forward to mistakenly picking up the knife). Richter's backflip would have been an excellent inclusion as it gives you a tiny more mobility while also maintaining the Castlevania rigidity. Oddly enough, for as hard as the game is, there is one sub-weapon that breaks it. You can acquire a healing herb. It you get this, hold on to it. You will probably clear the next two or three stages with it alone (you may probably up losing it to a botched pixel perfect gap jump). This has largely been very negative, but all the good stuff you expect from the series is here as well. Well designed (if at times cruel) levels, amazing music, great visual style, and it gives you that sense of struggle and accomplishment. The balance is jank, but the game is still worth playing. A great purchase for your Vita.

Game 02- Metal Slug Double X: ★★★1/2
Another very good game from a very good series. The game looks great, plays great, and is generally a lot of fun. However, the arcade difficulty is quite simply insane. I hate the fact that after the third level it is nearly impossible to make it through without dying many, many times. I know the difficulty is part of the fun, but it is unfair after a certain point. On the other hand, the bosses are all tough, but beatable. The endless continues ends up cheapening the experience, in the end. But given the balance of the game, it is probably necessary that the game have them. Overall, still a great game, it just needed more adjustment for the home port.

Game 03- Star Wars Battlefront: ★1/2
I wasn't sure if I wanted to put this game on the list. I didn't get to the max rank to unlock everything, so I don't know if you could say that I beat the game. However, this is the type of game where walking away from it is the only way you can win. The bullet spray is random, and cheapens the experience. Moving on anything but the paths will cause you to get stuck and have to do awkward, janky hops to clear knee high obstructions. There is no way to communicate with your team, the heroes are broken and the power-up is random. Spawns are hilariously bad. There is one weapon which is BY FAR the best at close and middle range, which is what you fight at the majority of the game. Skills and OP cards unlock hours and hours into the game. So in general, balance doesn't exist in this game. Grenades recharge quickly, so there is endless grenade spam. The customization options are laughable. It is just a giant mess. One of the worst games I have played in a long time. The graphics are amazing, and the sound (with the exception of the awful Vader voice) is incredible. However, the actual game is awful.

KillerBEA

\\ Master List //

Xbox 360:
  • Civilization Revolution ★★★★★
    (4 Hours Played)
  • Altered Beast ★★★★
    (2 Hours)
  • Galaga ★★★★
    (3 Hours)

Xbox One:
  • Warframe ★★★★★
    (96 Hours Played in 2015)
    (50 Hours Currently Played in 2016)
  • Neverwinter Online ★★★
    (830 hours in 2015)
    (10 hours in 2016)

PS4:
  • Street Fighter V ★★★

Mobile:
  • Power Hover ★★★★
    (1 Hour played)
Total: 7/52

Parsnip

Alright, lets do this.
2014, finished 28 games.
2015, finished 25 games.

Game 01: Final Fantasy XIII-2 # It's pretty good, better than FF13. Mog is the MVP.
Game 02: The Talos Principle # It's awesome.
Game 03: The Talos Principle: Road To Gehenna # Still awesome.
Game 04: The Witness # It's alright.
Game 05: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin # Pretty good.
Game 06: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia # Excellent.
Game 07: Momodora # Not a fan.
Game 08: Momodora II # Decent.
Game 09: Momodora III # Neat.
Game 10: Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight # Excellent.
Game 11: Dark Souls 3 # Excellent.
Game 12: Shadow Complex Remastered # Still good, feels a little floatier than I remember.
Game 13: Eufloria HD # Relaxing. most of the time.
Game 14: Inside # Pretty cool.
Game 15: Headlander # Really fucking dope. Except for the very final section.
Game 16: Moirai # Neat concept.
Game 17: Paranormal State: Poison Spring # Meh.
Game 18: Spaceplan # The numbers go up.
Game 19: Deus Ex GO # Neat.
Game 20: The Turing Test # It's okay.
Game 21: Monument Valley + extra chapters # Cool.
Game 22: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided # It's okay.
Game 23: Lara Croft GO # Pretty good.
Game 24: Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass # Really thin.
Game 25: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night # Still excellent
Game 26: Adventures of Pip # Solid core mechanic but controls don't feel good at all.
Game 27: Paint it Back # It's really good.
Game 28: Rise of the Tomb Raider # Could be better.
Game 29: Hitman # It's great. Episodic format is perfect for Hitman.
Game 30: Rise of the Tomb Raider Season Pass # Baba Yaga was okay.
Game 31: Klocki # Neat but gets a little boring after a while.
Game 32: Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock # Eh. It's fine for a low budget adventure game I guess.
Game 33: Darksiders # What a great game.
Game 34: Darksiders Warmastered Edition # What a great NG+.
Game 35: Firewatch # Well told story.
Game 36: A Boy and His Blob # At the end it leans a bit too much on the precision platformer angle.
Game 37: Xanadu Next # It's pretty great.
Game 38: SUPERHOT # Neat.
Game 39: SHENZHEN SOLITAIRE # A good solitaire variation.
Game 40: Pony Island # It's fine.
Game 00: Game title # Comment.

Retired
Nothing here yet.

In progress
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, put this in the back burner while I was waiting for a new gpu.
Assassin's Creed Syndicate, was waiting for the cloth physics fix and that's in now so.
Legend of Kay Anniversary, it hasn't aged as well as I had hoped.
Mark of the Ninja, already played it on 360, now playing on Steam.
Transistor, I'm not sure I like it but I'll finish it eventually.
Half minute hero, cute, but doesn't feel like the gimmick has legs.
Type: Rider, it's probably short so I should just play it and finish it.
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, two episodes in.
Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut, on PC. It's hard to go back to it, it's just so broken.
Assassin’s Creed Unity
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery Episode 1
Alice Madness Returns, been sitting on this one for a while. The levels are too long.
Octodad Dadliest Catch

Games I'd like to tackle soon
Shovel Knight DLC
Invisible, Inc.
Read Only Memories
Mystik Belle
The Marvellous Miss Take
The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Valkyria Chronicles
Super Win the Game
Experience 112, maybe I'll have a better experience now that I have a system capable of running it decently.
The Fall, I hear good things.
Halo Spartan Assault
Great Permutator, I have it installed but I don't even know what it is.

Unhonorable mentions
Fake Colours. Just a really boring and kind of ugly cheap puzzler. Played 6 levels and got enough of it.

Ladekabel

This post shall be mine. Already beat some games after getting up. Will update later.

January

Game 1: Lara Croft Go (iOS): Hitman Go didn't do it for but I really enjoyed Lara Croft Go. I don't know what it was. Maybe the better animations or that the puzzles were easier, but for me it is the better and more enjoyable game. Even got 100% in it. If you play games on your Smartphone or Tablet, it definitly is a game to get. The five chapters are good entertainment for a few hours. And while the free extra chapter isn't bad either, I haven't had as much fun with it than with the main chapters as I don't think the gimmick isn't very good.

Game 2: Prune (iOS): Cool game for relaxing. Nothing more to say about it.

B]Game 3:[/B] Tales from the Borderlands (PS4): Holy shit, this was fantastic. It is the best of its kind. Smart and funny dialogue, likeable characters, great work from the voice actors. Never have I laughed more with a game than I did with Tales from the Borderlands. And my favorite part was the final "boss fight" against
the Traveller. Game turned into a QTE fighting game.
Fantastic, I say, fantastic. If you like these types of adevnture games, don't miss it.

Game 4: Lit (iOS): Got the bad ending in the game. It would be more enjoyable if the controls were not... suboptimal. In order to get the good ending you have to beat levels in time and only use so much steps. While steps are doable, time is something that is not doable with touch controls. If you try to go fast, you often end up dead because you deactivated a lamp and die to the darkness. If you can get past this, it is a short little game, that will give you an hour or so good enjoyment.

Game 5: Monument Valley (iOS): Man, I'm on a roll with the iOS games today. Great little puzzle game. Something I haven't played before. Nice presentation, geometrical puzzles (which I'm usually not very good at) which don't become too twisted. Again, if you look for something that is short and can finish a level while sitting in a train or waiting for a bus, you should check it out.

Game 6: Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception Remastered (PS4): Last one of the Uncharted beat. For all the flak it gets, it is my favorite of the series. It's supernatural enemies aren't as annoying as in the previous two games. I like the desert more than mountains or jungle. Otherwise it is pretty similiar to the other ones. Finally being able to throw back grenades is another plus.

Game 7: Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC): One of my most used words is enjoyable and that sums up Ys: Oath in Felghana for me. The combat system is fun, the music pushes you and while more linear than Zelda there are still some hidden treasures, which I liked. That said, it isn't without its problems. For me it could have used an lock on system for the magic system. Too often did I shoot my fireballs 1 cm to the left/right which cost me another try in the boss battles. The boss battles are tough but satisfying, but some of their hitboxes were garbage. When you touched one of their attacks with the tip of your toe, you took full damage and flew through the room. But miss their weak spot by 1 mm and it doesn't even itch them. Overall a great game with flaws.

February

Game 8: D4: Dark Dreams don't Die: I don't know what to say about the game. The writing is good, the characters are great and weird although sometimes the voice over is a little bit cheesy performed. Overall good impression of the game even with a nasty cliffhanger.

Game 9: Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS): I'm speechless. For many people this game is hit or miss. For me it was the former. I know there is a lot of praise for the game around here but I didn't expected such a great game. While it is uncomfortable to play I got used to it pretty quick. The flight sections are where I had the most fun. On the ground it is less enjoyable due to controls but still good. But what really makes the game shine for me are the characters and story. The characters are all likeable,, the dialogue is smart, fourth wall breaking and funny. Add a great performance from all the voice actors to that. It is sad that the action of the gameplay makes it hard to follow all that. While the story has a pretty generic premise of bad vs. good, it comes with so many twists that it makes it interesting. My only disappointment with the game was that I couldn't use the second nub on the New 3DS for camera control.

Game 10: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Vita): I thought I'd never see the day where I can say, I finally beat the game. Took me about half a year. It wasn't because I hated the game, far from hit. It was because I sometimes hit a wall which I didn't want to breach. So I put it down for a month or two, played it for a bit and put it down again. Due to longer train rides, I took my Vita with me and played FFT during the ride. Wouldn't have finished it without it. Enough for the personal story, let's get to the game. I like SRPGs even though I'm not a big tactican. And Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL is a great one with a few shortcomings. Sometimes you are denied overview because there is always something in your view. Not even moving and tilting the camera will do anything. And the game is a tad too slow in my opinion. The random encounters are annoying, too. But nevertheless, the game is amazin. I has beautiful sprites, great characters and a story that is on GoT levels of treason, backstabbing and twists. If you haven't played it, you should.

Game 11: Framed (iOS): Fun, little interactive PuzzleComic. You swap panels to get through a level. Neat idea and it ends before it can get annoying.

Game 12: Game Royal (iOS): Game Royal is an adventure game based on a German late night show. It takes characters, items and jokes known from the show and uses it in its stories and puzzles. It is a neat little game, that is over faster than you expect. If you understand German and have a (very) little itch for adventure games, you can check it out. It is free and available on iOS, PC and I think Android. And I'm not working for them.

March

Game 13: Not A Hero (PC): The game mechanic of Not A Hero is great. A fast paced 2D-Shooter. It has humour, I like Bunnylord and the Soundtrack kicks ass. That said, the game does many things wrong in my opinion. First complain is no seperated button for executions. You want to shoot the bad guys coming to you but because you stand over a knocked out enemy you go in to a execution animation and everyone else is loading all their bullets in you. While some could say it is your own fault for getting in such a situation, I sometimes stood right next to the feets of a knocked-down enemy and it triggered the execution. Another thing that bugged me, were the ridicolous invicibilty frames of two later enemies. My biggest complains were missing checkpoints. Maybe I'm too casual, but the levels get longer pretty soon and doing the same thing again and again and again gets annoying pretty fast. On top of that, in two of the three boss levels, the sequence where
Bunnylord kills the major bad guy
is unskippable and you have too watch it again, if you fail in the part that comes after that. It is a game with a great idea but lacks in execution imo.

Game 14: Deathsmiles (iOS): It's a shmup. I don't care if there are any secret runthroughs, hidden endings and what not. I played through the game (even if it was on the lowest diffculty) and saw the credits.

April

Game 15: Ryse - Son of Rome (PC): Going into Ryse I expected much worse. Was positive surprised that it was actually a rather good or at least better than mediocre game. Story is alright, the battle system, although easy and repetetive, servicable and the game looks nice. Only takes a nosedive in the end, when some bullshit happens. And there were some awkward bouncing boobs.

Game 16: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Wii U): I learned two things from BlOps2: I like the popcorn-campaigns of CoDs because they have cool moments, make you feel great and it just feels good to play. Second thing is, I unlearned how to play shooters with a controller. I was horrible for most of the campaign and only got the grip again, once I was almost done with it. I enjoyed the villain, graphics weren't bad nor great and the story was servicable. Things I would hold against BlOps 2 is the execution of the ending. I got several cutscenes which seemed to be cobbled together. Which is sad since I enjoyed the twisted ending I got. And the strike missions were horrible. I had to do one in order of the story, failed misserably and never did one of those again.

Game 17: Stardew Valley (PC): After 50 hours I consider the game beat. I have the community centre restored, my character has a wife and a child and his grandpa was so happy with him, he got the purple statue. I really enjoyed the game and couldn't put it down for a week. But after many hours have passed, I found out the best way to make money and was bored. I "forced" myself through the last seasons because I wanted to get to the evaluation. But even if the last hours were a slog for me, Stardew Valley will be one of my favorite games this year. It has is charme, the characters are very well written and show a human side. My gripe with the game was the combat. It was uninteresting and getting through the mines was the most unfun thing in the game. So unfun, I didn't even bother much with the addional dungeon.

Game 18: WarioWare: Touched! (3DS): Lost my DS copy so I rebought it through MyNintendo. It's still fun although now I see it more than a techdemo for the DS than a game. Eitherway, it has humor, the characters are great and most of the minigames are fun. And the soundtrack is amazin! Only thing that was annoying were Mike's minigames were you have to blow into the microphone.

May

Game 19: Rayman: Fiesta Run (iOS): Like the first one a solid self-running platformer. Nice presentation and it's got a nice flow to it. Some of the later levels are a tad too long and sometimes obstacles blend in too much with the background.

Game 20: Uncharted 4 (PS4): It became my favorite entry in the series. It looks fantastic and jaw dropping. The story isn't as forgettable as in the predecessors, the dialogues are top-notch like in the predecessors, there are great character-moments and I liked most of the setpieces. The shooting has a better flow to it than in the first three games but still doesn't feel as good as it should. The stealth is good but doesn't go far enough. I'm missing throwing rocks or whistling for distracting enemies for example. And the bigger combat arenas are fun to navigate through but not actually to stealth or shoot through in my opinion. That said, I really like it. It certainly will have a high spot in my GOTY list for this year.

Game 21: Dark Souls 3 (PC): I can't say much about it. It is my favorite in the series. And I summoned more help for bosses than I can be proud of. But that was not because they are so hard. I always wanted to end of a session with a boss defeat and because of time restraints I summoned someone after 3 or 4 tries. Otherwise I liked the refined battle system and the areas. Had many framerate dips but that was mostly due to my graphics card than to the game.

June

Game 22: Momodora III: Neat little 2D action-adventure. Beatiful pixel-art and a nice soundtrack. Sometimes I lost the overview of what's happening on the screen.

Game 23: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS): I'm always itching for more SRPGs even though I'm not the best at them. I got one. I enjoyed the gameplay and would rank it among on of the better games of the year so far but it has horrendous short comings. While the story isn't anything special it isn't really bad. That said, the story really feels bad because of the awful dialogue, both in story and the (totally other game but something different) "S-Links". And the mission variety could ne a little bit better. Most story missions and side quests are "kill everything/the commander". That's it. I can only think of one mission where I had to something else to win it. I have the Special Edition so I'm looking forward to play the other versions later.

Game 24: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS): Neat little 2D-Metroid/Zelda-like. I liked the sprite work on most characters and enemies and the soundtrack was alright. But there were a few sections in the game where I wished the developer would have played it themselves and noticed "Maybe this is a tad too long and we should make it shorter."

July

Game 25: Transformers: Devastation (PC): I really love the soundtrack. Even I don't have any nostalgia for Transformers, the soundtrack gave the feeling of it to me. For me that is the best part of the game. The art direction is beatiful, too, although there were some sections where it could have really been messy if I was an epileptic. Moreso than in other Platinum Games games. The battle system is alright. I'd rather have it without the loot and synthesis system because I never felt like getting stronger gear and as a result of that some boss fights were too long for me because I was only taking little bites of their life bars. But what really makes me almost hate the game is the design of levels and some battle arenas. They are terrible. They have you walk you through that awful hub area city several times which wasn't fun. Some battle arenas are a mess where pillars come up from the ground ruining an attack or movement towards an enemy. Eventhough I enjoyed some moments where you fight with all Autobots, in the end I was glad that I was done with Transformers: Devastation and could uninstall it.

Game 26: Tap Tycoon (iOS): Though you can't really beat an idle game, I'll list Tap Tycoon. I have played it for 10 hours and have prestiged over 20 times. These are things I have never done with another clicker game.

Game 27: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC): What can I say? It is now one of my favorite games of all time. It looks fantastic and the soundtrack sounds great. The quests have interesting stories most of the time but apart from some storyrelated side-quests most of them play out rather monotonous, especially the witcher contracts. The combat isn't anything special either but far from bad. Though I have my few shares of criticism for some parts, the game just sucked me in. I wanted to explore the world and do everything there is to do. I even played Gwent even though I usually don't bother with the minigames in a game. But even Gwent took a few tries to get into.
There are still many ? on the map but I have finished the story which is a great conclusion for someone who has played the previous two games. Can't wait to get the expansions.

Game 28: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS): This game just didn't click with me. Maybe it was because I played 3DWorld before I played 3D Land but something didn't feel right with this one. It controlled well, the levels had good ideas but the perspective stuff felt off. Maybe it is me and I can't really see the 3D but even in the stuff that was designed with the 3D in mind it didn't help me. Not even the super stable 3D on the n3DS made it better for me.

Game 29: Max Payne 3 (PC): Max Payne 3 is still one of the best if not the best 3rd-Person Shooter of the last generation for me. The shooting feels so satisfying and flying through the air while icing dudes never stops being great. I'm not even disturbed by the cutscenes which can only be skipped after a certain time. And some places where a little bit more finicky than I remembered. But overall, a great game.

August:

Game 30: Hyper Light Drifter (PC): In Hyper Light Drifter you play a little blue guy (which I assume is the Hyper Light Drifter) who has to travel to four different regions and lift four towers. The thing that jumps to the eye at first is the beautiful pixel art work which is most impressive in the cutscenes. The actual game parts pale in compariso which was a little bit disappointing though they still look really, really good. Especially the environments amazed me what resulted in me taking many pictures. I can't say much about the soundtrack. I know many are a fan of the componist but it wasn't anything special for me. It has its ups and downs. I can't say much about the story since it is all too vague for me. Everything was shown in pictures. If I would analyze the environments I could probably say more than "some giant thing died here". Though the combat was enjoyable I really think the 30 FPS brought it down. There were some sections where I felt the controls were sluggish or didn't read my inputs fast enough. That was mostly during boss fights. The boss fights itself are pretty good. Some had some bullshit attacks in my opinion but not unfair ones. Overall I can say: If you're looking for a Zelda-like which tells you absolutely nothing than you might be interested in this one.

Game 31: Steins;Gate (Vita): Steins,Gate is a visual novel about the student Okabe Rintaro a.k.a Houuin Kyoma (or something like that) and his lab team which by accident develop a microwave which can send messages to the past. The first few chapters of this game are rather boring. Only about halfway through the game gets going. But when it begins, it is one of the best stories I experienced in games. There are plot twists which you can't see coming and when they hit I was like "Holy Shit!". I don't want to say much more since I think there are moments everybody should see first hand. With story and dialogue most of the time top notch, I can't say I liked the art style. Something about it was off-putting for me. The soundtrack is forgettable. And it sometimes relied too much on anime tropes while also making fun about otaku culture. Nevertheless, if you're looking for a game with a great science-fiction story you should definitly grab Steins; Gate. I for one will see the other endings and try to get the Platinum Trophy.

Game 32: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PC): That final boss fight is terrible! Terrible! Since I have just finished the game I had to say that. B.J. is back and is ready to kick some Nazi and Nazi-Zombie ass! He has to infiltrate Burg Wolfenstein to steal some files. Things go bad and he is captured by the Nazis (Fun Fact: Since I played the German Edition Nazis are called "The Regime" and Swastikas are replaced with a "W"). The game starts with a stealth section. Given the game's mechanics that shouldn't be bad. One of the strenghts of New Order for me was the seamless transition between stealth and action. Which is exactly the case in the latter parts of the Old Blood. In the beginning however, you have to stay stealthy because you have no weapons except a pipe and the first enemies you encounter are some big robo soldiers. After that section it does get better though the combat arenas fall short of the ones in New Order. The same goes for the characters. The one's that are there are hardly memorable, the main villain is there for max. 2 minutes and the accomplices are not really on the screen for much longer than that. Logical, given the game's length but also disappointing. All in all, it is a competent shooter, that starts not optimal, gets good only to end in a terrible, terrible boss fight.

Game 33: Nier (Xbox 360): The following lines will contain SPOILERS for Nier. Read at your own risk... Nier is one of those games where I much rather talk about the story than the gameplay. The latter is mediocre. Though I somewhat found enjoyment in the battle system it never felt good. Nier wasn't always hitting in the direction I wanted to and with some of the spells it felt like gambling if they would hit their target or not. Graphically Nier isn't a looker either. When you see it you think you look at an upscaled PS2 game. At least the framerate was stable for me most of the time even there was a lot going on. On top of that there are the sidequests which although often telling nice little stories of human drama, are all fetch quests.
But everything is overlooked because Niers main story is interesting and made me feel like a piece of shit once I watched the Ending B. The game starts with this dad who wants to cure his daughter who has a deathly illness. The world is inhabitated by black monsters named shades. To none of the characters in Nier happens something good. Neither the humans and nor the shades which turn out to be the real humans. In my second playthrough I learned to hate the playable character. At first I had sympathy for him since he was a caring father. But in my second playthrough I hated him. When playing NG+ one gets additional scenes for the bosses in the second part. You see this terrible fates they're met with and you control a jerk who is full of hatred for the shades and wants to kill everyone of them even if they're peaceful. He just doesn't want to face the truth and sees the world in shade and white.
Nier is a game which I would call an experience. As a game there is nothing special about it. The story is what gets you. If you can cope with that, go get it!

Game 34: Adventure Capitalist (iOS): Another Clicker I've failed victim to. This one is charming. The music is great. I like its style and humor. After earning enough money one can click and get bigger numbers on Moon and Mars, too. The best time I had on Moon. After prestiging a few times things get big really fast. After barely five minutes the bonus for prestiging is more than doubled. Earth and especially Mars a tad slower. Probably my favorite Clicker so far.

Game 35: Nano Assault Ex (3DS): Nano Assault Ex is a game that I probably forgot about tomorrow. It's not a bad game but rather forgetable sadly. You hover over peanut-like levels which remembered me a little bit about Mario Galaxy. The enemies are some kind bacteria which want to destroy DNA and you have to destroy them. The enemies are not hard by themselves. What really drags the game down for me are the projectiles they shoot, be it boss or random mob. Often I found them hard to see which obviously resulted in me getting hit and losing a life. And there were some patterns where the hitboxes were not precise and I got hit even though I was between Two projectiles. In hindsight, maybe the 3DS isn't the best choice for a twinstick shooter. I played on n3DS and used the nub most of the time. But I'd rather played it with an analogue stick.

Currently playing: Tokyo Mirage Session #FE (Wii U), Doom (PC)

pots555

Game #1: Life is Strange - around 15 hours on Xbox One.
Started in december and finished it today. It is an amazing game. The everyday life of Max in the first episodes was great.

Game #2: Until Dawn - around 10 hours on PS4.
Wow! What a ride! I bought a PS4 last week and this game is one of the reason (Bloodborne being the other!!!). Not dissappointed at all. I will surely play through it again since
most of my characters died
. High quality game.

I am now playing The Order 1886 so #3 should be here soon. After that:

Bloodborne, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin and The Witcher 3.

gaiages

Banned
7/16 - Done!

My Backloggery page
My HowLongToBeat page
Backlog Blitz 2016

Beaten [52/52]
Game 1: King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Final Edition - 43m
# Great fighter, SNK boss syndrome besides.
Game 2: Bayonetta - 7h25m
# Really awesome :D
Game 3: King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match - 23m
# I'm honestly quite surprised I beat Arcade Mode in one shot :eek:
Game 4: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 4: Escape Plan Bravo - 1h50m
# I want to be as great of an accountant as the ones on Hyperion
Game 5: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 5: Vault of the Traveller - 2h
# That was amazing :D
Game 6: King of Fighters 2000 - 55m
# Not really as fun as 2002 or '98, honestly. Does some weird stuff.
Game 7: Mighty Switch Force: Academy - 2h42m
# Unbalanced as heck, especially on the final Course. Kinda ruined the fun. Play the 'main' entries over this one.
Game 8: The Typing of the Dead: Overkill - 23h30m
# That was just awesome. Shows me how much I suck at accurate typing, though.
Game 9: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers - 32m
# This actually aged really well.
Game 10: fault milestone two side: above - 5h
# So fantastic. Can't wait for the next one!
Game 11: Hitman GO - ~6hr
# Pretty good.
Game 12: The 39 Steps - 3h32m
# It looked great, but the story itself really lacked tension and ended up being boring.
Game 13: Hexcells Plus - 6h50m
# Not as good as the original, had too much going on.
Game 14: The Last Blade - 25m
# Wow, that was actually great! Unlike Samurai Shodown >.>
Game 15: Gunman Clive - 34m
# Really good, actually.
Game 16: Sonic CD - ~2h
# This was weird, to be honest.
Game 17: Papers, Please - ~3h30m
# Got four endings. Interesting, but at the same time, kinda... bleh.
Game 18: Twinkle Star Sprites - 20m
# What an unique game.
Game 19: Metal Slug - 36m
# I died. A lot.
Game 20: Metal Slug X - 51m
# I died even more. This felt better mechanics wise.
Game 21: Ironclad - 41m
# Alright shmup.
Game 22: Blazing Star - ~45m
# Better than Pulstar I guess, but bland except for me being mocked every time I died. :/
Game 23: Metal Slug 3 - 55m
# Fun.
Game 24: Sengoku 3 - ~1h25m
# That really wasn't a fun beat-em-up.
Game 25: Katamari Forever - ~8hr
# I guess the 'Forever' is from how long this game lasts :/
Game 26: Sorcery! - 1h20m
# Neat little choose your own adventure game. Glad I didn't pay $5 on mobile for it, though.
Game 27: Shock Troopers - 35m
# Pretty fun!
Game 28: Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - 38m
# Honestly preferred the first game.
Game 29: The Awakened Fate Ultimatum - ~22h
# I was on the final mission for a year, finally completed it, lol. It's not bad.
Game 30: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 31h59m
# Not a perfect game, but still enjoyable.
Game 31: Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale - 12h49m
# Mainly just a palette cleanser type game.
Game 32: Mighty Switch Force: Hose It Down! - 1h7m
# All the normal stages complete.
Game 33: 3D Gunstar Heroes - 1h31m
# Very awesome :)
Game 34: Atelier Merurru: The Apprentice of Arland - 25h22m
# I liked this one a lot. Also the time mechanic felt way more balanced that Rorona or Totori.
Game 35: My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 7h07m
# Majorly addicting.
Game 36: Amplitude - ~2h
# It's still Amplitude.
Game 37: Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code - 35m
# Beat Arcade Mode. Such a satisfying game.
Game 38: Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk - 25h40m
# Alright, particularly plot wise, but not as good as Meruru.
Game 39: Corpse Party - ~9h
# Alright, but honestly the PC version isn't nearly as good as the PSP version.
Game 40: BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend - ~10h
# The story is terribly paced, to be honest.
Game 41: Runbow - 2h35m
# I do like how if you're stuck on a level, you can go to another and try to take different routes to Satura.
Game 42: Moco Moco Friends - 18h33m
# Pretty unremarkable.
Game 43: Super Mario Galaxy - ~8h
# Really great.
Game 44: The Legend of Zelda - ~5h
# Didn't age as badly as I thought it would.
Game 45: Root Double: Before Crime * After Days - ~35h
# Drags a little bit, but overall quite good.
Game 46: Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- - ~10h
# :>
Game 47: Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star - 3h42m
# Emotions D:
Game 48: Soft Body - 1h47m
# Interesting, but to be honest in the end it's a little unremarkable.
Game 49: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - ~60h
# Great :D
Game 50: Kirby's Adventure - 3h8m
# One of my favorite Kirby games.
Game 51: Cibele - 55m
# Nice story, I just wish they would have bothered to make the game bits less janky.
Game 52: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 5h2m
# Fun!

Clear formatted game entry thing to make my life easier:
Game x: x - xhxm
# words

I failed the book challenge, but let's be real, I never stood a chance. The games however... Post claimed.

Games 10/52
Game 1: Fallout 4 - 121h 42m
header.jpg

Played the hell out of it, Got the Plat, time to move on till the DLC is released, I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would when it started.

Game 2: Tales from the Borderlands - 11 hours
header.jpg

This was great, I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. The finger gun shootout had me laughing so hard

Game 3: Her Story - 3 hours
header.jpg

I liked it, I spent more time figuring it out, but I think I found it out early because I typed in
Alibi
from watching cop shows and the video kind of just laid it all out. I would love more games like it.

Game 4: Assassin's Creed Chronicles:China - 6 hours
header.jpg

It was an interesting little game, I liked it a lot, but I do not see the need to go back with the new game plus mode.

Game 5: Assassin's Creed: Rogue - 34 Hours
header.jpg

Confession:I have a strange love for Assassin's Creed. I almost always 100% them, and I have a strange love for collecting things. Anyhow, I beat Black Flag 100% when it came out, and I have been watching Black Sails and really wanted to play something with a ship, so I went for essentially Black Sails 1.5. I really liked it, and it does a cool job linking some of the stories together.

Game 6: Dying Light: The Following - ?? (Probably 18-20 Hours)
header.jpg

I really liked it, I loved the first so it was a nice increase, that said, I HATED the ending. Apparently more DLC is on the way so we will see what happens, if it is story, I will be more and more interested.

Game 7: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Season 5 - 54 Hours
460x215px-LL-c0ad19de_Diablo-3.png

I did most of the season journey, I just cannot get myself to do conquests. It is just so much work. Paragon level 594 for the season, Here is my character. I will probably get around to playing more later, who knows. My friend got on the worldwide leaderboards.

Game 8: SUPERHOT! - 4 hours
header.jpg

Most innovative shooter I have played in years! But seriously, I really enjoyed it, I am sure the endless will be fun to play but that $25 is pretty steep. Anyhow, you can do some amazing stuff in it.

Game 9: Walking Dead: Michonne - 2 hours
header.jpg

I liked it enough, but it felt a little short and with only 3 chapters, finishing the 1st one made me think it doesn't have a very large story. Also playing a character that already has an established personality gives it a different feel that I do not know if I like, on the bright side, the silences feel like a natural choice instead of just not clicking something in time.

Game 10: The Culling - 8 hours
header.jpg

I really like it. It is basically hunger games/battle royal the game, but the crafting survival sim broken down into 20 min segments works really well. Early access, but ill play more and more of this.

Pachimari

Games completed: 0/52
Currently playing: Final Fantasy, Life Is Strange, Undertale

Game 1: Name - 0h 0m
# Text

Game 2: Name - 0h 0m
# Text

Game 3: Name - 0h 0m
# Text

yella

Trying this for the first time._. Let's see how it goes.

Currently Playing
GOW Collection PSVITA
Machinarium PSVITA
Bloodborne
Tales from the Borderlands

19/52

Only beat 18 games last year. With the rise of virtual reality, however, I fully expect to complete the goal in 2016.

Game 1: Police Trainer (Arcade)
Game 2: The House of the Dead (Arcade)
Game 3: Oh...Sir! (PC)
Game 4: Mount Your Friends (PC)
Game 5: Life is Strange (PC) - April 1
Game 6: Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One) - April 16
Game 7: Devil's Third (Wii U) - April 19
Game 8: The Lab (HTC Vive) - April 26
Game 9: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) - May 13
Game 10: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) - May 23
Game 11: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) - May 28
Game 12: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - June 9
Game 13: The Brookhaven Experiment (HTC Vive) - July 18
Game 14: TrumPiñata (HTC Vive) - July 22
Game 15: Titanfall (Xbox One) - October 2
Game 16: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4) - October 10
Game 17: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4) - October 12
Game 18: Platinum Demo - Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - November 29
Game 19: Final Fantasy XV (PS4 Pro) - December 12

Previous Years:

Tater

Claiming this post

Game 1: Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS (30 hours, in progress)

Fun game so far, the world and story are the best things about it. The MMO combat is starting to grate on me a bit, and there are waaaay to many fetch quests. Still compelling, though.

Game 2: Forza Horizon XB1 (6 hours, in progress)

I love this game so much - it's really nailing the open world caRPG. Off road races are the best.

Game 3: Yoshi's Woolly World WiiU (5 hours, in progress)

Playing this game with my son - feels easy so far (world 3), but I'm really enjoying it.

J.W.Crazy

Game 1: Shadow Complex Remastered - 5 hours 42 minutes 1/5/16
I liked this well enough though it's pretty janky. I tried playing with a controller at first but it wasn't happening. Keyboard and mouse wasn't much better but I stuck with it for most of the game. Minus the wonky controls and a few buggy things here and there I really enjoyed it. Every time I play a metroidvania I say I'm going to play some more because I enjoy them so much and then I never do! Oh well.

Game 2: SteamWorld Heist - 13 hours 1/10/16
I really enjoyed SteamWorld Dig so I was happy to here another SteamWorld game was coming but unsure how I'd like the change in gameplay. I loved it! Everything about it is great. Art, Music, Humor, Gameplay. Just top notch all around.

Game 3: Time Rifters - 3-4 hours 1/13/16
I don't know how I feel about putting this on the list because there's really not much to it. 3 "episodes" with 5 levels each that take 15-20 minutes tops to beat. Less than that once you know the levels. It's a lot of fun but once you play through each episode a few times you've seen it all. I really love the idea but it just doesn't feel complete.

Game 4: Firewatch - 4 hours 2/10/16
I enjoyed this well enough. As a whole it's disappointing but there's lots of really great parts to it.

Game 5: Defunct - 2 hours 30 minutes 2/13/16
This was a lot of fun. It's short but I honestly don't know that the gameplay would have sustained a longer game without changing things up. Really enjoyed the music.

Game 6: The Witness - 20 hours 2/24/16
I've got really mixed feelings on this game. It's great no doubt but drags on too long for my taste. Even without completing all the puzzles and extra stuff it's just too much. It's amazing how much is packed into it but I feel like it would be a better game with a lot less. There are some amazingly clever puzzles though! I think I got more enjoyment out of wondering how some of them were thought up than actually solving them. Overall I think I'll remember it more fondly as time passes and I'm not so burned out on line puzzles.

Game 7: Rise of the Tomb Raider - 14 hours 3/13/16
I enjoyed this a lot. The story is completely forgettable but the mechanics are fun. I wish there was a little more focus on gameplay over set-pieces and narrative but I'm not really complaining. It's a little weaker than the 2013 reboot IMO but not much.

Game 8: Unravel - 6 hours 5/7/16
Liked this a lot. Wish they'd nailed down the mechanics a bit more.

Game 9: Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All - 20 hours 5/9/16
I didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as the first game. Some of the dialogue was fun but everything else just felt like a chore to get through. It'll be a while before I start the next game.

Game 10: Star Fox Zero - 5/11/16
Had a lot of fun with this. Personally, I loved the controls although I wish I didn't have to re-center so often. I don't feel like I have to do it that often in Splatoon. I kind of rushed through the campaign because I've been super busy lately (I've had the game sitting there unopened since it released) but I'm going to get a lot more play out of this for sure.

Game 11: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 9 hours 5/21/16
This was really good I just wish it were longer. I really liked the way the mechanics built up and how well everything worked together. I'm definitely going to check out the rest of the series.

Game 12: Retro City Rampage - 6 hours 5/28/16
I feel like the first half of this wasn't as good as the second. I liked the way it jumped around between genres and play styles. The humor was hit or miss. It made me want to go back and play the old 2D GTA games which I remember having a blast with. Could never get into the 3D ones.

Game 13: The Walking Dead: Michonne - 3 hours 30 minutes 6/21/16
This was a huge disappointment. The story was mediocre, there were tons of inconsistencies, and there was very little actual gameplay. I've really enjoyed all the previous Telltale Walking Dead games but this just seemed like something that got pawned off on the B team to fill time until season 3 comes out.

Game 14: Just Cause 3 - 25 hours 8/10/16
I'm kind of mixed on this. It's not bad but JC2 was so great that this just can't live up to it. I put over 100 hours into JC2 and enjoyed every minute of it but the last few hours of this started to drag a bit. I loved the new additions like the wingsuit but didn't really care for the unlock system. I'll definitely end up 100%ing it but I'll be taking a break before going back to it. Plus I'm so far behind this year I can't afford to waste time.

Game 15: ABZU - 2 hours 8/11/2016
Loved this. There's not much to it gameplay wise, some light puzzles, but it looks amazing and has a great soundtrack. Very relaxing to play.

Game 16: Grow Up - 3 hours 30 Minutes 8/16/16
Loved this. Beat it in one sitting. I loved the first one and this is better in every way.

Game 17: Kirby: Planet Robobot - 7 hours 8/18/16
This is kind of forgettable. It was enjoyable enough to play a level or two during down time at work but nothing special.

Game 18: Super Monkey Ball 3D - 2 hours 8/21/16
Always enjoy Super Monkey Balls. This was fun to play for a few minutes here and there during down time at work. Too short. I remember older games having more levels.

Game 19: Song of the Deep - 8 hours 8/24/16
I want to like this a lot more than I do because there's a great game in there somewhere. Mechanically it's a mess. Nothing works 100% as it should. The hook shot and projectiles seem to have a mind of their own. All the bugs and glitches at launch were bad enough but at a basic level things just don't work well enough. For a game that's got floaty controls by design that's not good. It was a chore to finish and more than once I quit out of frustration. I honestly can't believe a developer like Insomniac put out such an unpolished, under-develop game. It feels very amateur.

Game 20: Inside - 2 hours 30 minutes 8/25/16
Wow. Loved this. The last section was completely bizarre. Did not see that coming.

Game 21: Rising Islands - 2 hours 10/20/16
It's clunky and I don't think the developers really nailed down what makes the gameplay fun but I kind of like it. I'd loved to see it fleshed out and polished a bit.

Game 22: Seasons After Fall - 6 hours 10/21/16
This was fun. Looks great in 3D.

Game 23: Clustertruck - 5 hours 10/21/16
I had a great time with this. It plays almost like a First Person Cloudberry Kingdom.

Game 24: Doom (2016) - 17 hours 10/22/16
Not as big a fan of this as others seem to be. It starts off strong but really drags in the second half. Had to play it in short bursts because it was so repetitive.

Game 25: Mirror's Edge Catalyst - 9 hours 10/23/16
Compared to the original this is a step down in every way. As a standalone title it's mediocre. I really didn't like anything about it. Also every Frostbite based game I've played since BF3 has been a clunky, glitchy mess. DICE should really work on that instead of more enhanced visuals.

Game 26: Quantum Break - 10 hours 10/27/16
Very mixed on this one. I really liked the core gameplay but the show within the game did nothing for me. Honestly it felt like they almost ruined a perfectly good game by shoving a mediocre TV show into it. Considering how much of the story still gets told through text and audio logs it just felt unnecessary. Mechanically it's a bit clunky but so are most TPSs.

Game 27: 35mm - 4 hours 10/29/16
This was okay. It's really low budget and the translation isn't great. Gameplay is pretty rough in spots.

Game 28: INK - 2 hours 10/31/16
Really fun. Love the concept and how everything progresses.

Game 29: Flyhunter Origins - 2 hours 30 minutes 11/1/16
This looks nice. Parts of it were fun. Not much else to say.

Game 30: A Story About My Uncle - 4 hours 11/2/16
The first 2/3 of this was great. You could see that the mechanics weren't perfect but it wasn't bad enough really matter. Once things got more difficult it really hurt the game for me though. The ability to grapple was way too finicky. I played with both a steam controller and mouse and keyboard but it made no difference. Sometimes it just didn't want to let me grapple no matter how close I was to the grappling point. Or it would flash in and out. I really wanted to love this game but they just didn't nail it down.

Game 31: CoD: Infinite Warfare - 8 hours 11/7/16
Enjoyed this a lot. Wish they'd get rid of the pointless and repetitive in between missions thing they've been doing the last few games. Otherwise it's exactly what I expect from a CoD game. They did a surprisingly good job with the ensemble cast too.

Game 32: The Way - 7 hours 11/9/16
I had fun with this. Some of the puzzles were more busy work than I'd like but overall I enjoyed it.

Game 33: Amphora - 2 hours 11/9/16
Not much to say about this one. Not bad, but not really memorable.

Game 34: Oscura Lost Light - 3 hours 11/10/16
This was okay. Pretty rough but still enjoyable.

Game 35: Feist - 3 hours 11/13/16
This was alright. Kind of a Limbo knock-off with combat.

Game 36: Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash - 13 hours 11/19/16
Nothing Special.

Game 37: Valley - 3 hours 30 minutes 11/28/16
Thoroughly enjoyed this. One of my favorites so far this year.

Game 38: Polarity - 1 hour 11/29/16
Was really enjoying this and then it ended! It's a nice little Portal style game but there's just not enough.

Game 39: Love - 2 hours 11/29/16
Great. Loved everything about it.

Game 40: Magnetic By Nature - 2 hours 30 Minutes 11/29/16
Really cool platformer.

Game 41: The Turing Test - 4 Hours 30 Minutes 11/30/16
Another favorite of the year for me. The narrative twist was obvious from the start but the impact that it had on gameplay was unexpected and really great.

Game 42: Octodad: Dadliest Catch - 2 hours 30 minutes 12/3/16
Silly & Fun.

Game 43: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - 4 hours 12/4/16
It's Far Cry alright and that's not a bad thing for me.

Game 44: Octodad - 1 hour 12/5/16
After Dadliest Catch I want to play some more. Even though it's different I still enjoyed it.

Game 45: Lara Croft Go - 4 hours 12/7/16
Really enjoyed this. I'm going to try out some of the other SE Go titles.

Game 46: SUPERHOT - 2 hours 12/7/16
Really cool concepts all around.

Game 47: Outland - 7 hours 12/17/16
Not bad but kind of forgettable.

Game 48: Titanfall 2 - 5 hours 12/21/16
Hands down one of my favorites of the year. As near to a perfect AAA campaign as it gets.

Game 49: Toren - 2 hours 30 minutes 12/22/16
This was interesting. Not something I'd play again but I enjoyed it.

Game 50: The Bug Butcher - 4 hours 12/24/16
Perfect difficulty curve. I like how they kept the gameplay simple and rewarded skill.

Game 51: event[0] - 2 hours 30 minutes 12/25/16
Really mixed feelings on this one. Loved the idea but the execution was lacking.

Game 52: That Dragon, Cancer - 2 hours 12/25/16
I don't want to be too critical considering what the game is about. It was absolutely a success in affecting me emotionally which is ultimately all that matters for this type of game I suppose.

Servbot24

Banned
Games completed: 0/52
Currently playing: The Witcher 3, The Order 1886, Life is Strange, Undertale, Downwell

Planned:
The Witness
Dark Souls III
Uncharted 1 Remastered
Uncharted 2 Remastered
Uncharted 3 Remastered
Uncharted 4
Persona 5
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Zelda U
Hyper Light Drifter
Ghost Song

Game 1: Name - 0h 0m
# Text

Game 2: Name - 0h 0m
# Text

# Text

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
In, reserving post

1. Minecraft Story Mode: Episode 4
PC

Game #2
Fallout 4
PC, went ahead and pushed through the main quest. Finished it up taking over the institution from my son, really disappointed in the game, but oh well

#3. Sailor Moon
Arcade, played via movie theater.
Went and saw Star Wars 7 again with my sister and they had a Sailor Moon beat em up! We spent god knows how much to beat this, lol

Game #4
Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star
PC, a couple hours maybe?
Sequel to Hatoful, but barely a game, not really a lot to do. Still bizarrely charming.

Game #5
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Someday my Revolution will come
Saturn, 10ish hours
Revolutionary Girl Utena vn for the Saturn. Takes place between episodes 8 and 9 and actually adds a really cool little bit to the series. I played through and got the ending where Utena fell for me and I decided I was going to be a Prince. Thinking about playing it again and trying to get the ending where I can become a duelist.

Game #6 999
3DS
Replaying 999 and VLR before ZE3. Love the game. Its been years since I played it. So damn good.

Game # 7
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Xbox One
Finished the campaign coop with my sister. Pretty fun and interesting shooter. I kinda want something else more down to earth for the next one though.

Spooky's House of Jump Scares. PC.
Played it because my kid wanted to play it with me. It was something. She really enjoyed the arcade game where you stab people. Uhhhh, I should be worried.

Game 9: Undertale, PC
Replayed it again, still so good. Went total pacifist this time. What else is there to be said, the game os phenomenal.

Game 10: Arkham Knight, PC
Trash. Dumb story, Hated the Batmobile, didn't bother finishing all the sidequests.

Game 11: Blazing Star, Neo Geo.
Great horizontal shooter. But I definitely wtf'd at the final boss, an evil space fetus.

Game 12: Resident Evil 0 HD, PC
LOVED this game on the GCN, still find it quite good. But man, the inventory management drove me crazy in this one. So little space to carry shit around. Still leagues better than any modern RE though.

Game 13: Organ Trail, Android
Played through it on Android after discovering it in my humble library. Cute little thing, but man I'm sick of Zombies.

Game 14: Azure Striker Gunvolt, 3DS
Great little mega man-ish game. I really hate that I had to grind levels to finish the final boss though.

15. Fire Emblem Fates Conquest
3DS, 20ish hours
Grabbed the whole trilogy. I started with Conquest because I thought I would be able to play as an uber-bitch princess and wreck shit, but no, I had to be nice and world saving. I hate some of the changes, I hate there is no overworld or side things to do, little upgrading. But I love the character designs. I'll take a bit of a break before going on to the other two.

16. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
3DS
No idea how long this has been sitting on my 3DS but I dug into and I like plague knight more than shovel knight! Where's my plague knight amiibo?

17. Wario Land II
GBC,
I have no idea how long my save at World 2 has been sitting there, but for some reason(it was in my GBC), I decided to plug through it. Great, underrated gem.

18. Find Mii II
3DS
I made it through Find Mii II for a second time, so I'm taking credit, lol.

Game 19
Resident Evil HD, PC
Still awesome after all these years. Dunno how many time I have beat this game. Multiple playthroughs on ps one, the director cut, the GCN remake, the Wii port, now this. Love it so.

Game 20
Minecraft Story Mode episode 5
Played it with my kid. She looooves it, but I guess there are gonna be 8 now.

Game 21: Zombie Army Trilogy
PC, Steam 12ish hours
Played through the all 3 campaigns. Super fun. Buggy as all fuck though. I also wish there were more weapon varieties, but overall lots of fun.

Game 22: Gears of War HD
XBone 6ish hours
Great remaster, played through in coop-lots of fun still.

Game 23, Zelda Picross
So much fun, great freebie from Nintendo.

Game 24
Doom
PC, Steam
Holy fucking shit, this game was a surprise, so fucking good. Absolutely amazing.

Game 25
Wolfenstein: The New Order
PC, Steam
RUnning high off of Doom I went back and replayed id's last unexpected gem.

Game 26: Shadow Warrior
PC, Steam, 12 or so hours
Been in the mood foratypical shooters, so I played the Shadow Warrior remake that has been sitting in my inventory for god knows how long. It was pretty good. God a bit repetitive though.

Game 27: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
PC, Steam, 8ish hours
Great expansion that leads into the fantastic new order. Bit too much climbing and man BJ is the least tactical operator ever. Motherfucker gets captured more than peach.

Game 28: Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
PS3, an hour or so
Classic beat em up, played through it with my daughter and had a hell of a time

Game #29
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
XBone
Played through the campaign because this has been sitting at my house for over a year. It pissed me off. I hate the way it glorifies PMCs. Its so fucking stupid. PMCs are worthless lazy fucks who make our job harder.

Game #30
Sunset Overdrive, Xbone
Man I love this game. I dont know what took me so long to jump into it, but holy shit. The style, the OST, the gameplay, everything about this game is fucking fantastic.

Game #31
Shenmue, Dreamcast
Played this game through for the first time in 15 years. Man, its still so fucking good. Gonna jump into the sequel on Xbox soon.

Game 32
Metroid, NES
8 hours.
Played through it with my daughter twice. She's small so she used narpas Sword to get through it, then I played through a normal run. So fucking good

Game 33
The Evil Within, PC
10ish hours
Finally decided to finish this up. Love me some Shinji Mikami, The game is good, but flawed, but I have hopes for a sequel.

Game 34
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Wii U, 80 hours
OMG. I love this game so fucking much, the presentation, the music, the characters, the fanservice. I fucking adored this game and hope NInty and Atlus make it a franchise.

Game 35
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
SNES, 12-13 hours
Played through it for fun, with my kid, it is still so damn good in every way,

Game 36
Mighty No. 9
PC
Completed the campaign and the Ray DLC. It was fun, highly flawed, and ugly. Felt like a PS/Saturn game. Not worth the wait, but not as bad as some say

Game 37
Metroid II
Game Boy, 4.5 hours
God damn Metroid 2 is so fucking good. I played this via a Super Game Boy on my SNES. This game feels so good and I love the mechanics so much. It deserves a remake though.

Game 38
Halo 5
XBox One, 7 or so hours.
Played this while the game was free of 4th of July weekend. I kinda dug the campaign. I like where it is going for sure.

Game 39
Virtua Fighter 2
Saturn, 5 or 6 hours
COmpleted Expert mode with all the characters. God dammit I love VF2 so much. There's nothing else I can really say about it, but I got a new Saturn so I started playing VF2 for fun for the first time in years and ended up going through every character.

Game 40
Street FIghter: The Movie: The Game
Saturn, 2 hours
Completed movie mode. A little more in depth than most fighter story modes at teh time, there are some options Cammy gets you. The game isnt as bad as its rep, it's like a super simplified version of SSF2's mechanics, but with the animation being so janky it's hard to frame count. The weirdest fucking thing was that beating it it ended with this fucking music video that I can only assume is a song from the movie, but the video had nothing to do with street fighter, just an asian dude singing.

Game 41
Doom 64
Nintendo 64, 8ish hours
Holy shit this game is good. So forgotten and underrated, this is the true Doom 3. ANd playing after Doom 4, the ending really showed that as at the end of the game, Doomguy decided to stay in hell and kill all the demons. But yeah, the level design is great, and it is brutal. Great little graphical upgrade too.

Game 42
Sonic Chaos
Game Gear, about an hour
Decent little Sonic game. Very short, but the animation was actually really good and I enjoyed the level design. The game gear is so underrated.

Game 43
Shenmue II
XBox, 20ish hours
God dammit, I love Shenmue II. I havent played 2 nearly as much as I've played 1, but I still love it. Can NOT wait until III

Game 44
Panic!
Sega CD, 45mins
Got a new Sega CD and went through a couple games. Panic is hilarious. I love it. Simple little press the button watch what happens.

Game 45
TimeGal
Sega CD, 30mins
Classic anime FMV game. I love the art style so damn much even if it isn't as smooth as the LD version.

Game 46
X-Men
Game Gear, 1ish hours
Picked up the three game gear xmen games. This was the first. It was pretty easy, but a lot of fun, though really there is no point in playing as anyone but Cyclops or Iceman

Game 47
Snatcher
Sega CD, about 7 hours
Man, I paid a lot for this game, but it was soooo worth it. Absolutely amazing experience. So much so I ordered the Saturn version to replay it again in more detail. Seriously, the art, the world, everything about it is just so good. It really lives up to the hype.

Game 48
Space Adventure Cobra: The Legendary Bandit
Sega CD, about 7 hours
Not as expensive as Snatcher, but still pricey. It plays a lot like Snatcher and is really fantastic as well. Lots of nudity too, surprisingly. Like seriously LOTS. Especially for a game released in 1993. The game is marred by a couple of weird issues though. First, the audio mix is terrible. It's hard to hear the dialog over the music moat of the time. Second, the game is absolutely unfailable until the last bit of it. It introduces combat at the very end and it is soooo frustrating, as enemies just pile on you during a puzzle area. But still, a great experience.

Game 49
Metroid Zero Mission
GBA, 3 hours
Been on a Metroid kick. Zero Mission is better than most give it credit for. I especially adore the zero suit portion. Great companion to the original.

Game 50
Super Metroid
SNES, 3 hrs
Greatest game of all time. I replay it very often.

Game 51
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
XBox One
Lots of hours
Played a shit ton of story and gauntlet mode, beating both multiple times with a friend of mine. Lots of fun for a free game.

Game 52
King of Fighters XIV
PS4
Finished story mode with every team. Still will be playing online for the forseeable future.

Blombus

Neo Member
My goal in 2016 is to be a responsible steward of my backlog without abandoning the residents of my Animal Crossing: New Leaf town.

Completed

Game 1 - 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - 18:43
Finished January 6

I enjoyed the feeling of wanting to read more about the game's story after completing the "true" ending. The plot--some of it based in fact, some in fiction--lends itself to Wikipedia rabbit holes. Still, branching storylines that require multiple playthroughs aren't ideal for me with regards to structure. I did love the limited animation: clean, expressive, and colorful.

Game 2 - Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery - 2:47
Finished January 7

I'm sad (and surprised) to discover that Episode 2 isn't available on the Vita; although the story isn't finished, I guess I've gone as far as I can in the game for now. I enjoy puzzles more when I'm not timed on finding a solution and there was just enough easy wandering to convey the impression that Jacob's camp was at the edge of a large, inviting wilderness.

Game 3 - Pikmin 3 - 14:07 (Day 27)
Finished January 9

My first Pikmin game and easily one of the most beautiful video games I've played. Nintendo has always understood how water is supposed to look and move but the river bottoms here that wash softly over decaying foliage reminded me how grateful we should be that Shigeru Miyamoto is still alive on this earth. A great strategy game, too, even if I'm not the clock-managing multitasker that the (frankly stressful) daily time limits require. I'm never better than a "bad" ending when I'm under the gun.

Game 4 - Fez - 8:13 (143.8%)
Finished January 14

I took a long break from gaming after college (for reasons related to time and income) and I missed so many titles that I'd still like to play that catching up with all of them is impossible. I've made peace with that; a hobby should never be an obligation. Still, I routinely finish games without "completing" them. The math and research involved in truly making sense of Fez is beyond me but I deeply admire the thought put into its puzzles, its waterfalls, its playfulness, and its language. I was delighted with each discovery beyond a door and I never rushed through any of it and never felt obligated to play faster, or smarter, or more efficiently. I have every intention of returning--the highest praise I can give.

Game 5 - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 56:40
Finished February 7

My first Etrian Odyssey game and, to the best I can remember, my first dungeon crawler of any stripe. I often believe I'm searching for a mythical balance in video games that I'll never find: a state of serenity that's relaxing but with plenty of room for mysteries. The mapping mechanic let me meander inside someone else's thoughtful level design and the simplicity of the story (to chart a cave on the outskirts of a small town) insisted on exploration for the sake of small discoveries. Still, 60 hour games don't exist in vacuums; by the fifth stratum my mind kept drifting to my backlog (and this thread) and I was happy to finish, fun as it was.

Game 6 - Firewatch - played in a few sessions over the course of the weekend
Finished February 14

I was impressed by the details--by the paperbacks and pine cones left on shelves or in boxes--and was delighted by how quickly I felt isolated and a little afraid. In the end, I might have told the story differently but I have no complaints about the narrative, modest but sincere. When I wasn't playing, I thought a lot about the open-ended mysteries of Proteus, a game I still go back to on my Vita with a similar light-washed natural beauty. I love how little Proteus asks of me and how much there is to see, something Firewatch only suggests in its sprawling but largely unapproachable wilderness.

Game 7 - Proteus - played for several hours each day over the course of two days
Finished February 15

I revisited Proteus yesterday with the intention of working through the game deliberately after two years of picking it up off and on again and simply wandering for a quiet hour or two. The "Lost Gods of Albion" trophy description suggests what I admire so much about the experience: the idea of a parallel universe (of infinite parallel worlds) conveyed not through a sprawling landscape but a small one, populated not by an infinite variety of flora and fauna but a short list of trees and birds and hopping frogs that never appear in the same place twice, and never in quite the same way. Proteus reminds me of changing seasons in my small backyard at the edge of the Chihuahuan Desert, seen in small details that would be lost on a stranger with no attachment to the view. It's a singular and special game.

Game 8 - Yoshi's Woolly World - 14:33
Finished March 1

Nintendo has been my favorite software developer since I first played A Link to the Past as a kid. I've always been bad at platform games but I think of them as the heart and soul of the medium: an exercise in mechanics, skill, and ingenuity for programmers and players alike. I love Nintendo in part because "mellow mode" exists in Yoshi's Woolly World and an aging, uncoordinated adult like me can experience the beauty in a twist of string standing in for lamplight or a pleat of colored silk that looks like the aurora borealis draped behind a set of felted hills. "It's Only a Paper Moon" is a sad song but a gentle one and Yoshi's Woolly World is a game that's a lot like a song.

Game 9 - Dark Souls III - 56:57
Finished April 27

My first impression of Dark Souls was a Ghibli-style illustration by Kyle Fewell that appeared on Attract Mode in 2012. I didn't own a console at the time but what I read about the game (and Demon's Souls) reminded me of Berserk. A year ago a friend sent me a copy of Bloodborne and I must have spent six hours that first day trying to pick my way through Yharnam's ruined streets, bewildered and delighted by the complexity of so eerie and unsettling a city.

Dark Souls by way of Bloodborne is critical to my experience of the former. Limited to what was available on the PS4, I never got a handle on Scholar of the First Sin (although I did finish it) because I never prioritized defense. Nothing could be accomplished alone--too weak, too clumsy--and online cooperators were never as plentiful as I wanted them to be.

I approached this third installment with more patience but I miss my nimble Victorian hunter. I'm not at all invested in how "difficult" the franchise is and I feel no sense of satisfaction in single-handedly hauling down a Lord of Cinder (I relied on the benevolence of others to defeat every boss in the game). When I find myself frustrated at the distance I need to travel all over again to recover the souls I lost on an undead villager's rusty pitchfork, I wonder why I keep coming back.

If I'm honest with myself, it simply isn't the series for me. I want games to be relaxing, not stressful. But I do keep coming back--to sprint to the next bonfire or summon sign--for two reasons. The first is to explore once I'm strong enough to return to old areas and take the time to look beneath every corpse and inside every cave without the fear of death at the hands of a random attacker. If there were no enemies at all in Dark Souls III, just tired knights to talk to resting by the side of a flagstone path, I'd probably like it even more.

The second is to scrawl out my summon sign and move through levels with other players without the pressure of too much consequence in my own death; I do better then--feel more agile, more graceful--and take pleasure in sharing the road with a stranger.

Game 10 - Day of the Tentacle Remastered - about 5 hours
Finished May 2

Dead-end puzzles in Sierra adventures were depressing enough experienced secondhand when I watched a friend play through King's Quest and Gabriel Knight in college. I remember Loom obtusely and I don't know if that means I never finished the game or only saw parts of it, again on a friend's computer. This is the second LucasArts remaster I've downloaded on my Vita. The art in Grim Fandango floored me--San Francisco harbor slips by way of Mexico City--but the puzzles were unassailable without a guide.

For Day of the Tentacle, I began with a walkthrough printed on a piece of paper but opened every door I could. I moved through the narrative easily but took time to absorb the details. It felt like poking around inside a cartoon: beautifully animated, warm, its sense of humor unmistakably Californian. Virtual reality in two dimensions, gentle and essential.

Game 11 - Muramasa Rebirth - about 20 hours
Finished May 26

George Kamitani is my favorite video game artist, a Frank Frazetta as captivated by a bowl of udon as a woman's thighs. When the Dragon's Crown soundtrack was released, I dreamed about the cover artwork as a window into a sequel in which the characters never leave the tavern. No fighting at all; instead, a Larousse Gastronomique brought to life.

Spaces inside of games often appeal to me more than games themselves: the Stray Sheep in Catherine, the backyard garden in Persona 4, and everything that didn't involve swinging a sword at hordes of ninjas or toads or goblins in Muramasa. Has an animated ocean ever looked more beautiful than it does here? Maybe in Pinocchio. Food is one of the great pleasures of living and George Kamitani's hot pots are the best still lifes this side of Francisco de Zurbarán's lemons.

Game 12 - Gravity Rush Remastered - 14:07
Finished June 3

This was the first game I bought for my Vita in 2012 and I couldn't believe how inventive and how wonderful it was, even though I could never feel comfortable enough with the control scheme to make it all the way through the game. Flight is much more manageable on the PS4 and, with the exception of one particularly tedious DLC mission, I cruised through this second iteration over two days.

Only those Persona menus and a few clips from Rain World have shown as much verve in the past four years and I'm thrilled we get a sequel. A classic.

Game 13 - 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure - 3:49
Finished June 9

If Nintendo never made another game this one would ensure the company's reputation.

Game 14 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - 28:56
Finished June 28

This was the only console Zelda title I never played and I was surprised both by how many details I enjoyed and by how regularly the same frustrations I always have with Aonuma's directorial efforts (even Wind Waker, my personal favorite in the entire series) materialized. I fully accept responsibility for never quite mastering the specific control schemes each new weapon introduces, especially in boss battles, but for all of the precision I encounter each time I play a Nintendo platformer, I simply don't understand why chasing an ogre on horseback (or grappling onto a dragon's back or jumping a spinner track or fleeing in front of a floating hand) feels like handling the GamePad with oven mitts.

No need to be too negative, though. I loved Midna and the wolf and the way that animals scattered throughout Hyrule ran up to Link to "talk" on each of his trips through town, as if he's some crazy cat whisperer. The details are so charming, in fact, that I find myself, in the wake of one more Zelda credit sequence, already forgiving the production team for all of the tedious fetch quests and backtracking. But I do hope that Breath of the Wild does better.

Game 15 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - 33:22
Finished October 16

My second culinary tour with George Kamitani in 2016, after floating through Muramasa Rebirth in the spring. My mission from the beginning was to secure whatever trophy one earned from eating every variation of every ingredient found in the game--all the more pleasurable for the dining experience of a cafe-style table beside a bubbling cast iron cauldron on the top of some desolate peak, served with a smile by a chubby pooka in a chef's hat and food-stained apron. No one needs to hear a story twice, but I want to see Kamitani's take on a Boku no Natsuyasumi-style loafer of a game: maybe wander the coasts and byways of Japan in search of every masterpiece the writer of Oishinbo ever imagined. The most beautiful, most imaginative experience that I've had with the PS4.

Game 16 - Super Metroid (SNES Virtual Console) - 7:37
Finished December 5

When I was a kid, my grandparents bought a Super Nintendo for their house when my folks wouldn't let me own one. The games I played were limited by the time I spent there; it took me the length of an entire Texas summer to get through A Link to the Past. Super Metroid is foundational to any number of people whose opinions I respect about video games, and, like Another World or Maniac Mansion, has been so well written about that one doesn't necessarily need to play it to have a sense of why it's so good. Still, I've always wanted to, and having now finished Super Metroid (with a 56% item collection rate) I can't believe how difficult the space jump mechanic is. Or maybe it isn't a good fit for the New 3DS, which felt--for the first time--too small in my clumsy hands. But what a mood the rainy surface of Zebes sets in those opening minutes! An after dark classic.

Game 17 - The Last Guardian - between 10 and 15 hours
Finished December 26

I joined the 52 game challenge as a way to whittle down my backlog by making myself keep track of titles I own but haven't played. In part, I needed to budget my income in 2016 (as I will in 2017) and I'm susceptible to purchasing new releases that then sit on my bookshelf as prices drop precipitously before I get around to them. I've been happy with my progress; in the new year, I'll have 16 library titles and four new releases (Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Rain World, and the forthcoming VA-11 HALL-A Vita port) to tackle.

The day after Christmas, I finished The Last Guardian, a game I frankly didn't think I'd be able to see through to the end when my aging dog got sick in the middle of the month and the idea of playing alongside an injured companion felt too emotionally overwhelming. Thankfully, my dog recovered, and sat beside me on the sofa throughout the rest of my time with Fumito Ueda's singular masterpiece.

For me, the game is a culmination of his collaborators' craft and skills--not simply a variation on themes from Ico and Shadow of the Colossus but a subversion of what those titles ask of the player. As Simon Parkin mentioned in his review, the child in The Last Guardian is essentially helpless, tasked with aiding a creature who would be harmed without him. The player does not inflict injury on others but instead shelters a great beast from the cruelty at the doorstep of the cavern he lies chained in.

At times Trico is doglike, at times catlike, at times something else completely. Petting the animal in tall grass illuminated by afternoon light is surely one of the medium's great experiences: a small kindness at the center of a dream about flight. The game is a highlight for me that ranks among my lifetime favorites.

Mr. Doop

Maybe I'll actually finish this year.

Completed

Game 1 - Undertale (PC) - 6 hours
Absolutely brilliant. One of the best games to come out in years, and my GOTY 2015. If there's anything bad to say about it, it's probably that the ruins area is a bit dull.

Game 2 - Life is Strange (PC) - 12 hours
Very good, but very very flawed as well. You can tell there was a lot of budget problems towards the ends as a lot of things felt really rushed. I wasn't really satisfied with the ending, and I never really connected with Chloe like the game wanted me to. She was an extremely obnoxious character for most of the game. Still very good, though. Nice soundtrack and artstyle.

Now Playing (Games I'll never finish)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)
Ys Origins (PC)
Crypt of the Necrodancer (PC)
Bloodborne (PS4)
Dark Souls 2 (PS4)

sheamus

claiming for my master list

Game 1: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate(PS4)

Finished 1/1/2016
Time to complete: 30 Hours

Game 2: The division
Game 3: Prince of Persia sand of time
Game 4; call of duty black op
Game 5: Stanley parable
Game 6; Cibele
Game 7; her story
Game 8; call of duty advanced warfare
Game 9; rise of the tomb raider
Game 10; batman arkham knight
Game 11; mirror's edge catalyst
Game 12: battlefield 4
Game 13:uncharted 4
Game14: gravity rush
Game15: just cause 4
Game16: the long dark
Game17: prison architect
Game18: rimworld
Game19: halo 5
Game20: factorio
Game21: splatoon
Game22: stellaris
Game23: space engineers
Game24: master of orion
Game25: cities skylines
Game26
Game27
Game28
Game29
Game30

rusteepot

Claiming this (and here's to having the discipline to update it) >.<

JAN
Game 1: Read Only Memories - 0h 0m
# Text
Game 2: Her Story - 3.8 hours / Completed: Jan 20 (Steam)
Great execution, great length, some clever foreshadowing. Pity I can't say the same for the story though.

# Text

IN PROGRESS:
The Last of Us, Fallout 4 (having a hard time getting back), Yokai Watch

Game #1: Rocket League Platinum Trophy 100 hrs at least 10/10 Completed 1/1/2016

I was one trophy away from getting the Platinum trophy so I ground it out this morning and I now have the Platinum trophy for my 2015 GOTY.

Game #2: Grow Home 4 hrs 8/10 Completed 1/2/2016

This has been a joy playing the game with my two kids. The controls and movement can be frustrating at times. However the leaf power found halfway up the star plant is a game changer and is a total joy to use.

Game #3: Dark Souls SOTFS (PS4) 35 hrs 8/10 Completed 1/6/2016

I enjoyed the the first half of the game much better the second. After Drangleic Castle I was burned out on the game so I rushed to the end and have no desire to look into the DLC areas. It was still an enjoyable Souls experience.

Games I'm working on...

Witcher 3
Tearaway Unfolded
Majora's Mask 3D

Games in my backlog that I plan to tackle in the next month or two...
Just Cause 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Far Cry 4
GTA 5
Tropical Freeze
Axiom Verge

Games completed 3/52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom