http://store.steampowered.com/stats

This time last year the peak concurrency was around 8.5 million
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
(01-03-2016, 06:56 PM)
That cache issue really killed Steam
Cheeseman Battitude
(01-03-2016, 07:00 PM)
And still no Half-Life 3. That's a potential 12,220,100 purchases on day one. What are they thinking?!
Crimsonclaw111
(01-03-2016, 07:00 PM)
PC is a beast.
IceMarker
(01-03-2016, 07:02 PM)
Long live the king.
Nzyme32
(01-03-2016, 07:02 PM)
nvm we merged now
GMAK2442
(01-03-2016, 07:03 PM)
I wonder if they can cheat the stats...
Crimsonclaw111

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

Cough Cough

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165547

:P

Posted 1 minute after OP. You have lost, sir.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

Cough Cough

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165547

:P

looks like archie beat you so now you look pretty bad for calling him out like you beat him tbqh
Snore Crime
(01-03-2016, 07:05 PM)
Looks like the security breach or whatever it is did not have a significant effect, big surprise.
Halabane
(01-03-2016, 07:06 PM)
Where is that thread on pc needs to learn from consoles to save pc gaming? This is just steam...not origin...not people just playing games they bought...not warcraft, lol...whatever.

This is people logged in, what does that mean? Do they have numbers that shows how many games are being played actively or is the steam app just open?
Hektor
(01-03-2016, 07:06 PM)
All those grandmas with infected computers.
Mivey
(01-03-2016, 07:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Snore Crime

Looks like the security breach or whatever it is did not have a significant effect, big surprise.

It's more of a privacy issue, nothing to do with security. The CDN basically let people see stuff they ought not to, but you never had actual access to anything as far as the Steam service is concerned.
Nzyme32
(01-03-2016, 07:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Crimsonclaw111

Posted 1 minute after OP. You have lost, sir.

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

looks like archie beat you so now you look pretty bad for calling him out like you beat him tbqh

In fairness, I didn't see anything till after I posted so I just assumed otherwise since it is a niche topic. Edit - also my data is older :P

Originally Posted by Mivey

It's more of a privacy issue, nothing to do with security.

It's a bit of both. The information revealed for those 34k users has compromised their security in a way
StrategyFan
(01-03-2016, 07:08 PM)
more than 3 million of those are currently playing a steam game based on the top100 list
Greenpaint
(01-03-2016, 07:09 PM)
That's over 40% growth in one year. Impressive!

Valve has built a LOT of goodwill among PC users. Sure, the cache incident was a dent in that but there is still a lot left. Valve has its faults, but the faults are minor when looking at the big picture and things other companies have done.
The Dutch Slayer
(01-03-2016, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Cheeseman Battitude

And still no Half-Life 3. That's a potential 12,220,100 purchases on day one. What are they thinking?!

Probably bait but still going to say it.
It has never been about sales its about the team is not there or does not want to do it.

Valve does not need money it needs motivation in its dev team to make the game.
ViciousDS
(01-03-2016, 07:12 PM)
These people could just have there computer on with steam running correct? Does it only count if people are playing a game?
Cheeseman Battitude
(01-03-2016, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by The Dutch Slayer

Probably bait but still going to say it.
It has never been about sales its about the team is not there or does not want to do it.

Valve does not need money it needs motivation in its dev team to make the game.

Not bait!!
Steel

It happened when no one was paying attention.
Saucycarpdog
You shouldn't look closely into these stats, PC gaming is dying after all.
Codeacious
(01-03-2016, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

These people could just have there computer on with steam running correct? Does it only count if people are playing a game?

I believe so? I don't think the concurrent users graph only counts people actively playing a game. It would imply they play/own at least one game on the service, though.
oneils
How old is steam now? 11 years old? I wonder what concurrent years were back when CSI and half life 2 were the main reasons to have the client.
bathsalts
Almost adding a million users to the record every 4 months now and that pace is accelerating, scary.
The Dutch Slayer
(01-03-2016, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

it never did.
It are just users being logged into the client.
jmga
(01-03-2016, 07:17 PM)
I made a quick graph to see how growth has been evolving.

Sblargh
(01-03-2016, 07:18 PM)
Impressed at both CIV 5 and Path of Exile's numbers.

Civ 5 is a great game, but it's getting a bit old now, so I am amazed at the legs it has. Also, Endless Legend is better.

And I thought Path of Exile was way more niche than apparently is. Congratulations to GGG; totally deserved the ongoing success.
inm8num2
That's a lot of caching. :p
oneils
Another thought...can we actually conclude that this means that the platform has grown? I guess it's the only metric we have since valve doesn't publish data.

It means that more people are logged into the client, but what does that really mean? Just wondering aloud.
Hektor
(01-03-2016, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Sblargh

Civ 5 is a great game, but it's getting a bit old now, so I am amazed at the legs it has. Also, Endless Legend is better.

The power of mods
Vigilant Walrus
(01-03-2016, 07:20 PM)
What has caused this spike for GTA5?

I know it had a DLC, but that was paid right? GTA5 online seems to be a very polarizing game. Either people hate it or they love it!
Oreoleo
(01-03-2016, 07:21 PM)
Seems like a huge upswing compared to recent years. Is this just the effect of Dota taking over Asian countries or is it more Western demographics causing the increase?

Originally Posted by Vigilant Walrus

I know it had a DLC, but that was paid right? GTA5 online seems to be a very polarizing game. Either people hate it or they love it!

GTA5 does not have any paid DLC.
Vulcano's assistant
(01-03-2016, 07:22 PM)
Now valve imagine if you had another interactive sale event instead of this noir slog
Scott32020
(01-03-2016, 07:25 PM)

Steam sale?
Blitzhex
(01-03-2016, 07:25 PM)

And I thought Path of Exile was way more niche than apparently is. Congratulations to GGG; totally deserved the ongoing success.

Path of poe had some 80-100k concurrent players at its peak, before steam. I wonder what the total concurrent is right now steam+nonsteam.
MasterMongoose
(01-03-2016, 07:27 PM)
Goddamn Skyrim's staying power is pretty crazy. I should just say "Bethesda games" since whatever replaces Skyrim will be same. Still though. Game came out 4+ years ago now.
Steel
(01-03-2016, 07:27 PM)

Also, Endless Legend is better.

This is the truth.

Gets even more true when Endless Legend and Beyond Earth is comapred.

Originally Posted by MasterMongoose

Goddamn Skyrim's staying power is pretty crazy. I should just say "Bethesda games" since whatever replaces Skyrim will be same. Still though. Game came out 4+ years ago now.

If it was just the vanilla game + expansions, it'd be dead. But dem mods.
Nzyme32
(01-03-2016, 07:30 PM)

I need to give Endless Legend a shot then
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drive-through PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Qualifications: Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, PhD, likes mimosas.
(01-03-2016, 07:38 PM)
Seems to be dying even faster now.

Looking at SteamSpy it seems like ~250k people bought it during the sale. That doesn't fully explain it of course.
belmonkey
(01-03-2016, 07:42 PM)
Wasn't Steam at 125 million total users around a similar time last year? Wonder what that total is now?
Ricky Ricardo
Surely, these are the death throes

Stay Beasting, PC
Pranay_

Originally Posted by GMAK2442

They did change the rules of an active users
Qassim
(01-03-2016, 07:43 PM)
I'd say sale plus Christmas, plus recent GTA: Online updates, plus Christmas 'events' (e.g. snow) can explain the GTAV boost.

Originally Posted by Pranay_

They did change the rules of an active users

This isn't active users however, this is concurrent users.

Originally Posted by GMAK2442

They could, but I don't see for what purpose they'd do that. They're not outlandish stats considering the growth of Steam over the years which has been visible from outside of the Steam ecosystem so I don't really have any reason to doubt these statistics.

As for the player count stats per game, outside of Valve's games, developers could verify these stats and if they were wrong someone would have said something about it.
Last edited by Qassim; 01-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(01-03-2016, 07:43 PM)
didn't realise arma 3 had 40k concurrents. mental. what's the most fun way to play it?
roytheone
(01-03-2016, 07:44 PM)
So, will this unlock the next step in the arg? ;)
-Pyromaniac-
(01-03-2016, 07:44 PM)
I wish there was a stat that showed some sort of measurement on the performance of the PCs of these 12 million. I'm not trying to make a point here but I bet most of them are playing at med-low settings.
Cormano
(01-03-2016, 07:45 PM)
Damn.
Hektor
(01-03-2016, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac-

I wish there was a stat that showed some sort of measurement on the performance of the PCs of these 12 million. I'm not trying to make a point here but I bet most of them are playing at med-low settings.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
viHuGi
Banned
(01-03-2016, 07:46 PM)
Amazing numbers, Gaming is bigger than ever in every single platform wich is amazing to see.

And wow at Counter Strike, those are Call of Duty numbers right there on a Single Platform, what a beast!

Now we just need HL3.