• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game popularized using the second analog stick as the camera control?

Trouble

Banned
No so much a game as much as the idea of having camera buttons on the N64. These naturally transitioned to a second analog stick that could be used for other purposes as developers saw fit.

KzF6PvX.png

GhaleonEB

IIRC, Turok on the N64 was either the first, or the one that popularized, placing the look control on one side (the analogue stick) and movement on the other. Later it was the Alien game shown above that evolved that setup and applied it to the dual stick set up, with Halo making it the standard that it is today.

Orayn

An interesting sidenote: This prototype Playstation controller had 3 face buttons and a PoV hat (4-way digital stick). You could consider it an early version of both the right stick and c-buttons.

KmVr9It.jpg

It is not.

You know why i categorically said that? Because i took the time to do research about it.
It takes a lot of time for a person that had never used the scheme to adapt. Hell, you just need to transport yourself to the first time you tried the method.

You know what setup is truly intuitive? The Nunchuck/Wii Remote. The people i tested understood and adapted far quicker to this way of control.

Even the Mouse (keyboard is a POS for most gaming in reality) has a clear advantage since is a more precise and easy to manipulate device. And people undersand it better than manipulating the view with a thumbstick.

Never liked the bounding box style turning with the wiimote/nunchuck. Made everything feel like a rail shooter, and wasn't well suited to camera movement.

As far as the first time I used it? Timesplitters 1, iirc. Having played similar schemes in turok and quake 1 (ps1), it was fairly easy to get into. Was dominating friendly matches with friends in no time.

Compared to previous camera schemes using shoulder buttons (a staple of the ps1/n64 era), or using a 'strafe button' (ala Quake 1) it was a snap to get used to.

NathanS

It is not.

You know why i categorically said that? Because i took the time to do research about it.
It takes a lot of time for a person that had never used the scheme to adapt. Hell, you just need to transport yourself to the first time you tried the method.

You know what setup is truly intuitive? The Nunchuck/Wii Remote. The people i tested understood and adapted far quicker to this way of control.

Even the Mouse (keyboard is a POS for most gaming in reality) has a clear advantage since is a more precise and easy to manipulate device. And people undersand it better than manipulating the view with a thumbstick.

People really underestimate how off putting modern controller can be to the uninitiated. And that just asking people to control the camera is already a barrier as you throw them controlling tow different things in real time at them, much less when you add in the less precises and intuitive nature of sticks.

Let me dig something up:

This post is addressed to people who, like me, look back on arcade classics like Millipede, Asteroids and DigDug with fond nostalgia, but at some point between high school and our first real, fulltime job, decided to start spending our free time doing other things.

and the controller has THREE JOYSTICKS AND FOURTEEN BUTTONS on it. In addition to the eleven buttons that actually look like buttons, each of the joysticks has a button underneath that you activate by pressing the joystick straight down.

After trying to play Skyrim for close to two hours and failing miserably (and comically) to even get my character up a circular staircase in the first game stage—he was more likely to fall off and end up facing into a corner, with me unable to get him to turn around—, I finally asked my son how on Earth he’d figured out how to play this impossible game. His response was a casual, “Oh, it’s easy. The controls are the same as for HALO.”

To which I replied, “So you only know how to play this game because you’ve played HALO?”

“Uh, yeah. I guess so.”

“How do people who’ve never played HALO learn how to work this thing?”

“Well, the controls are a lot like the new Grand Theft Auto, too.”

“So the only people who know how to play Skyrim are people who’ve played Grand Theft Auto or HALO?”

“I guess. Or you could just practice a lot.”

Considering that at the end of two hours I couldn’t even get my Skyrim character to reliably move in the direction I wanted him to, I shudder to think how many hours of effort are implied by “a lot”.

See, one of those joysticks controls your character’s body, and another controls its head. You have to carefully coordinate these two so that your character is both looking and moving in the direction you want at all times. “Disorienting” doesn’t begin to cover it: it can be downright nauseating. I never even learned what the third joystick was for.

http://dmediamom.com/2013/03/31/when-did-video-games-get-so-hard-to-play/

It's not the only "Lord modern controls are off putting!" thing I've run across but I think what makes it stick with me is the "three joysticks" comment. That modern controllers have three inputs(d-pad and two analog sticks) that visually read "screen navigator" was a real "Oh!" moment for me.

Par Score

I mean the real answer to "popularised" is probably Halo, because not much else was as popular as Halo. Maybe GTA 3 is the secret correct answer?

As for earliest mainstream implementation, Shenmue must be pretty close, though the layout of the Dreamcast controller made it sub-optimal.

Playing it via emulation on a modern dual-analogue controller is pretty eye opening, as being able to easily run and look around is pretty cool in such a rich and detailed world.

No so much a game as much as the idea of having camera buttons on the N64. These naturally transitioned to a second analog stick that could be used for other purposes as developers saw fit.

KzF6PvX.png
Eh? I remember playing Turok the first time. The analog stick was to look and yellow buttons to move. It felt awkward to me since I'd been moving with my left thumb forever.

Was the most jarring shit at the time to look around with your left thumb.

"Popularized" depends on how popular a game needs to be to qualify for the term. Turok was my first exposure to that scheme, although of course the default controls were southpaw vs. the norm today, and the other "stick" were the C-buttons (C as in "camera", that's literally what they were designed for). Turok was a pretty popular game/series, so that's where I'd give the credit.

I also played Goldeneye that way, which was a more popular game, but the default scheme was half aim, half move on each stick (weird as hell, IMO, thank goodness it had what I called "Turok controls" as an option).

Yeah, I always used the Solitaire controls in Goldeneye.

Glowsquid

Colony Wars was the first game I played that used dual sticks but I can't remember what the controls were like.

Colony Wars has a control setup where the right stick controls throttle and rolling. the default controls don't use the 2nd stick at all.

----

uprising-x (1998) is another ps1 game that had modern dual stick controls:

Gamespot's review said:
The control in Uprising X is a little tough to get used to, especially when you're using the Dual Shock controller. One stick moves the Wraith, and the other controls where you're looking.

Never liked the bounding box style turning with the wiimote/nunchuck. Made everything feel like a rail shooter, and wasn't well suited to camera movement.
You are talking about a developer implementation, more over an early one.

Post launch shooters that at least put some effort in their controls allowed the user to configure the camera system as they saw fit. You could basically reduce the bonding box practically to zero, emulating a mouse with the Remote if your play style demanded so.

As far as the first time I used it? Timesplitters 1, iirc. Having played similar schemes in turok and quake 1 (ps1), it was fairly easy to get into. Was dominating friendly matches with friends in no time.

Compared to previous camera schemes using shoulder buttons (a staple of the ps1/n64 era), or using a 'strafe button' (ala Quake 1) it was a snap to get used to.
Regarding the staples of the N64/PSX era. It's pretty much demostrated in this thread that the N64 setup is the precursor to the second stick. Most action games in the N64, parted from the Mario 64 foundation of using the left side of the controller for character locomotion and a dedicated right side part (C buttons) for camera controls.

The N64 stablished the control methods and game controllers most consoles use today.

More over Golden Eye did implement the Dual Analog srtup as we have it today, althought it didnt popularized it nor it was as polished as something like Halo which came years and a generation later.

MathUser

If the OP wants to know about 2nd analog stick controls you should respect him and talk about that. Not argue that there are other options to 2nd analog sticks.

People really underestimate how off putting modern controller can be to the uninitiated. And that just asking people to control the camera is already a barrier as you throw them controlling tow different things in real time at them, much less when you add in the less precises and intuitive nature of sticks.

It's not the only "Lord modern controls are off putting!" thing I've run across but I think what makes it stick with me is the "three joysticks" comment. That modern controllers have three inputs(d-pad and two analog sticks) that visually read "screen navigator" was a real "Oh!" moment for me.
When we debate about these things, we tend to fall in the assumption that something like the N64 controller wasn't fitted with 2 thumbsticks because the taught probably flew by Nintendo's engineers.

When in reality decisions like that were based in user accessibility and simplification.

This game is actually pretty good, I have it. Not bad for a ps1 shooter.

Also the ONLY Alien game to properly represent a Facehugging instead of Facehuggers being some dull instant-death thing. Even if incubation time was a tad bit short.

I wish more games based on the IP would have some fun with that... Like, what if Isolation had an alternate-ending if you got facehugged instead of just being game-over if you screwed up?

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection.

WHY DOESN'T ______ JUST USE TRADITIONAL CONTROLS OMG

Cranster

Banned
It was arguably both GTA 3 and Halo that popularised and perfected it. The N64 2nd controller argument is invalid and dumb. Nobody used those control settings for regular gameplay.

Can't answer your question, but I'll never forget the first game I played which used the second anolog stick as the camera, Medal of Honor: Frontline for the PS2. I was aiming like a blind man with Parkinson's disease. I got used to it after more practice, of course. It just felt so unnatural at first.
A lot of people forgot how unintuitive and weird dual analog really is. If you compare the learning curve to a wiimote, for instance, it's huge.

A lot of people forgot how unintuitive and weird dual analog really is. If you compare the learning curve to a wiimote, for instance, it's huge.

Yup. Which only makes it weirder when people ask for "traditional" controls and they mean dual analog controllers. It's a huge barrier to entry for novice gamers.

Obviously it didn't popularise it, but the first game I recall using this system with was Mega Man Legends 2 (unless TimeSplitters pre-dates that).

FyreWulff

Turok or Goldeneye. Halo outright took it's controls from Goldeneye, per Halo's developers themselves, and contains an exact copy of Goldeneye's specific scheme (Legacy) that everyone borrowed the naming for.

Sakujou

Banned
i think it was codeword tenka or something using the second analogue stick for controls. but if we talk about real cam control (third person or more like free control, it was mario 64 but even that game was a bit limited. i would say it got popular with the xbox coming around. i remember splinter cell being the first game using it in the best way possible.

And then a few weeks later Gamespot had this in their review for Timesplitters:
Control is a big issue when it comes to first-person shooters, and TimeSplitters goes the distance by allowing you to configure the controller however you'd like. However, the default setting is already quite good, using the left stick to move and the right stick to aim.
Of course they have different reviewers. Maybe the Alien game had the wrong inversion for the reviewer (non-inverted when he wanted inverted or vice versa), with no settings to change it or he just didn't realize that's what was causing his issues?

Cranster

Banned
Turok or Goldeneye. Halo outright took it's controls from Goldeneye, per Halo's developers themselves, and contains an exact copy of Goldeneye's specific scheme (Legacy) that everyone borrowed the naming for.
Borrowed or not, Halo perfected the modern FPS control scheme.

dickroach

Doesn't matter considering int he context of this discussion camera control was used by c stick buttons or analog which achieved the same effect. Lets not be too anal for the sake of discussion when devs weren't as much.

c stick buttons? Mario 64.

Coreda

It was inevitable a game would take inspiration from earlier non-dual analog controls, such as GoldenEye's alternate control schemes where the C-buttons were used for movement while the analog stick for aim (or vice versa). Historically the earlier single analog examples are arguably more relevant.

This FPS family tree thread is worth a look, and its associated community-edited graphic. We can see the PC's WASD controls were the natural progenitor for the controller adaptations with a single analog, then dual analog.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The first game I recall using it (not saying it was the very first) was one of the Timesplitters. Took a while to get the hang of it.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Goldeneye. Good shout. Didn't feel quite the same, but yeah.

dhonk

You could dual analog on GoldenEye, you just needed two controllers:

dXdSWsD.png

I just tried this out and its SO clsoe to being fucking sick. BUT strafe is mapped to the right stick, and turn is mapped to the left stick. Ruins it. Still neat though. And maybe the first true example here?

FyreWulff

Borrowed or not, Halo perfected the modern FPS control scheme.

Halo's scheme is Goldeneye's 2.2 control scheme, to the point that you can map it directly in emulation and it works just like Halo.

Bungie themselves said it was copied. Only Microsoft has ever said it was a control innovation, the N64 was known as "the shooter console" in it's prime for a reason.

I just tried this out and its SO clsoe to being fucking sick. BUT strafe is mapped to the right stick, and turn is mapped to the left stick. Ruins it. Still neat though. And maybe the first true example here?

That's Legacy in Halo. Try the other 2.x schemes. (But the single controller is the same thing anyway - and Halo also lets you use the dpad to move, so it used digital movement as well)

Sakujou

Banned
guys, i think the alien game is maybe the first game which got trashed for the controls, but the fps cam control was already available earlier on psx. iam definitely sure about that.
except for goldeneye which was released in 96 and needed two controllers.

but i think we are talking about free roaming cam control like its these days available in uncharted, tomb raider, and so on...

TimeSplitters was probably the first game I played which managed it competently, and that was a PS2 launch title. Aside from that, I know Alien Resurrection on PS1 used dual analogue stick controls and shoulder buttons to fire, but it wasn't very well implemented and felt clunky.

Yup. Which only makes it weirder when people ask for "traditional" controls and they mean dual analog controllers. It's a huge barrier to entry for novice gamers.
Yeah, everyone seems to forget that we tolerate/like the current 'standard' because we're just used to it. But to those who are trying to learn how to play a console game for the first time, trying to figure out what does what is a massive hurdle. There's a reason why the tutorial in each Halo game goes through the absolute basics.

By comparison, while the Wii remote aiming style of play isn't immediately optimal to many players, it's far, far more intuitive than even keyboard and mouse. It's partly why I'm disappointed that Nintendo actually dropped the split motion controllers thing, given a better way to track the controllers and a second stick for rapid turning, a Wii Motion++ would be amazing. Thankfully, VR controllers are picking up the slack.

That's only the first dual-controller map, try Galore and swap the controllers around in your hands.

Celine

IIRC, Turok on the N64 was either the first, or the one that popularized, placing the look control on one side (the analogue stick) and movement on the other. Later it was the Alien game shown above that evolved that setup and applied it to the dual stick set up, with Halo making it the standard that it is today.
/thread

I remember using dual analogue on ps1 quake 2. It wasn't the default option though. Here's a bit from the GameSpot review from 1999

A game like this really requires a good control scheme to succeed. Thanks to excellent use of the Dual Shock controller, it has one. In the default setup, you use the left stick to look around and the four buttons on the front of the pad to move in any of four directions. You can also configure the right analog stick so you can use it in much the same way.

Top Bottom