• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude 2015 [OT] Rock The Disco Tech

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Can somebody provide (eidt: more detailed) information about the release of the PS3 version? My Google skills are failing me...

border

I've unlocked almost all of the songs, and played through the campaign on Beginner and Intermediate. I though the default control setup is fine for these difficulties, and probably Advanced as well. I'm not really capable of playing higher than Advanced in this game series, so I can't comment how the R2 trigger holds up beyond that.

I do kinda wish this game had a little bit more in terms of skill-based progression. More songs just unlock through playing songs at any difficulty, not score challenges or higher difficulty levels. Once I spend another couple hours of playing I won't really have any goals to aim for, which was not really the case with the original games.

Other than that, it's the best Amplitude game you ever could hope for given the product's budgetary restrictions. There doesn't seem to be any DLC hooks, but I hope Harmonix continues to support it with content updates and hopefully a PSVR mode.

Chun-Li

finally got through the temporal area on expert. I just jump straight into this difficult. Super fun! Astrosight was quite a fun challenge.

I've unlocked almost all of the songs, and played through the campaign on Beginner and Intermediate. I though the default control setup is fine for these difficulties, and probably Advanced as well. I'm not really capable of playing higher than Advanced in this game series, so I can't comment how the R2 trigger holds up beyond that.

I do kinda wish this game had a little bit more in terms of skill-based progression. More songs just unlock through playing songs at any difficulty, not score challenges or higher difficulty levels. Once I spend another couple hours of playing I won't really have any goals to aim for, which was not really the case with the original games.

Other than that, it's the best Amplitude game you ever could hope for given the product's budgetary restrictions. There doesn't seem to be any DLC hooks, but I hope Harmonix continues to support it with content updates and hopefully a PSVR mode.

I was always a leaderboard hound. So I'm definitely going to be replaying stuff just to be up there.

Deft Beck

Played through the campaign, but it seems like I didn't actually beat it. Will investigate.

Fun so far, although the "streak" mechanic tends to make the boss songs a bit too difficult for me, had to downgrade the difficulty during those songs.

I wish that I had money to back the Kickstarter when it was going on. Why on Earth did Harmonix lock a song behind the $100 tier? That's ridiculous.

Hazaku

Just finished the campaign mode. The later tracks sound really good through a decent soundsystem!

Thought I failed Dalatecht though when it went all buzzy though.

StoopKid

This game on expert.
damn.png

LiK

finally an OT. i'm loving game. the music selection is pretty great. wish there was more surround tho.

Played the first four campaign songs and I am actively disliking the music so far.

Still trying to feel out a comfortable control method. The triggers just don't click with me (so to speak yuk yuk yuk) for rhythm games.

This game would be so easy with one of these

31xcc0u0AZL.jpg

Loving it so far though. Really worried about R2 being feasible when I get to expert, I'm currently on advanced.

muteki

picked the blitz control setting as I figured it would make it easier for quickly alternating notes, and its similarity to other rhythm games I play. Still takes some getting used to.

For all the different control schemes they included, just custom mapping would have done the trick.

So how's the soundtrack? I don't recognize any of the songs in the tracklist so I'm hesitating on buying it even though I enjoyed the PS2 games.

antitrop

Oh my God, the 15th campaign song is the first thing in a video game to ever make me nauseous.

Almost 30 years of playing games and I thought I was immune to that kind of stuff, but I am dizzy as fuck.

TMC

Looking forward to trying this out this weekend. I loved Frequency and Amplitude back on the PS2 and backed this immediately as my first Kickstarter game. Little bummed regarding people not liking the soundtrack much. Hopefully it's not too bad!

Chucker

Oh my God, the 15th campaign song is the first thing in a video game to ever make me nauseous.

Almost 30 years of playing games and I thought I was immune to that kind of stuff, but I am dizzy as fuck.

My wife was walking by, stared at it and had to sit down.

I dig that campaign is a concept album, although I really do miss the diversity of the previous two games.

I'm sure it's a licensing nightmare but I'd love to see FreQ and Amplitude show up as PS2 classics.

bender

What time is it?

The end of 14 does the same psychedelic aesthetic. Really awful choice.

ascully

Played through the campaign earlier, the songs are awful the only one I liked was the bonus track you get for doing well in the first section.

Cudder

What's the deal with it anyway? Like really, what is the point in having the entire song washed over with that shitty effect?

Bsigg12

Played the first four campaign songs and I am actively disliking the music so far.

Still trying to feel out a comfortable control method. The triggers just don't click with me (so to speak yuk yuk yuk) for rhythm games.

I play with the one where it's L1 for left lane, X for center and R1 for right. The 2 triggers are god awful for this.

Got the true ending to the campaign and unlocked every song in one day. Nite trying to get a handle on advanced and it's really kicking the shit out of me on the harder songs.

Really glad I backed, having a blast.

I'm using the upper hand control scheme, seems many here came to the same conclusion.

JPS Kai

Cleared nearly everything on either advanced/expert in one sitting. Got two songs left to 3-bar that I got lucky with the right score multiplier placement yet had a low accuracy %. I hate that it only saves whatever is the highest score rather than making the emblem take precedence.

Just like at E3, Phantoms is still one of my favorite tracks.

GenoScreams

Neo Member
I did the campaign last night to unlock Super difficulty. I thought the triggers were fine on expert (and Super is going to be the same as expert but without recovery?). I don't think I would've done any better with a Dualshock 2 or 3.

I will however echo the common sentiment that the music could've been a lot better. It felt more like background music to me, nothing stood out. Nothing catchy. Of course I still have to play all the non-campaign songs, so we'll see.

Bladelaw

I played the first region of the campaign. I never played Frequency or Amplitude PS2 but I did play the PSP Rock Band and Rock Band Blitz for an embarrassingly long time. I started this on expert and got my ass kicked so I dropped it to Advanced. I seem to be on the cusp between the two difficulties at the moment. I figure I'll play through the campaign on Advanced then quickplay on expert once I've unlocked more things.

I can't speak to the variety yet but I'm liking all the tracks I've played so far. Though like others I'd love for there to be some DLC. Or just port Blitz to PS4/XBO I'd be alright with that too.

Soundtrack is a little weak but it's expected with the Kickstarter budget. I do like some of the stuff from other indie games like Crypteque though, they should've tried to get a little more of that. Strike the Earth from Shovel Knight and Megalovania from Undertale would've been wonderful additions.

Only found out about this when EG reviewed it yesterday. Bloody loved Amplitude back in the day so I jumped right on this. The track list has zero rock so far which is a bit disappointing coming from the original but it's still highly enjoyable. Haven't stopped playing all day, love Break for Me.

WoolyNinja

I'd never played Frequency or Amplitude but played and thought Rock Band Blitz was ok. I backed this kickstarter as I love rhythm games and the videos of the old games looked interesting...

This game is awesome! Just feels so good to play. And so far I'm enjoying the soundtrack a lot. However, I'm still getting used to the button configuration and getting my brain to think middle = R1.

As far as kickstarters go I think this is the first one I'm 100% satisfied with. Can't wait to jump back into this later today.

EthanC

Banned
I'd never played Frequency or Amplitude but played and thought Rock Band Blitz was ok. I backed this kickstarter as I love rhythm games and the videos of the old games looked interesting...

This game is awesome! Just feels so good to play. And so far I'm enjoying the soundtrack a lot. However, I'm still getting used to the button configuration and getting my brain to think middle = R1.

As far as kickstarters go I think this is the first one I'm 100% satisfied with. Can't wait to jump back into this later today.

I didn't like Rock Band Blitz at all, but I loved the music. I like Amplitudes gameplay but absolutely hate the music. Sad to see Harmonix missing the mark so much since Rock Band 2.

I didn't like Rock Band Blitz at all, but I loved the music. I like Amplitudes gameplay but absolutely hate the music. Sad to see Harmonix missing the mark so much since Rock Band 2.

I think Blitz is better in both regards. I haven't played Amplitude in ages, but the three lanes is a total pain in the arse with a standard controller, especially with DS4's triggers which this game is not suited to whatsoever, and L1/R1/Circle is not a useful layout either.

Song unlocking is fuck awful too. Why do I have to play songs 50 times to unlock a new one. Stupid decision. I don't even know how to play the final song of the campaign.

FerranMG

It really sucks that EU backers still can't download this with the code.
Can't blame them much for being that slow to solve this during the Christmas period, but man, backers should have been the first ones to be able to play, no excuses.
:(

Raylan

Banned
It really sucks that EU backers still can't download this with the code.
Can't blame them much for being that slow to solve this during the Christmas period, but man, backers should have been the first ones to be able to play, no excuses.
:(
A lot of backers in EU are already playing it for over a week.

EthanC

Banned
I think Blitz is better in both regards. I haven't played Amplitude in ages, but the three lanes is a total pain in the arse with a standard controller, especially with DS4's triggers which this game is not suited to whatsoever, and L1/R1/Circle is not a useful layout either.

Song unlocking is fuck awful too. Why do I have to play songs 50 times to unlock a new one. Stupid decision. I don't even know how to play the final song of the campaign.

I just meant the basic gameplay mechanics were more interesting. The actual campaign and unlocking of music in the new Amplitude is awful. And what makes it worse is that what I'm unlocking is so incredibly unsatisfying that I don't want to play further.

Gold_Loot

Not sure why some people are having trouble with the triggers. It takes a little bit of practice, but if you use your middle finger for R2 and your pointer for R1 , you can be hitting notes as well as any other.

Just give it a little time.

antitrop

Not sure why some people are having trouble with the triggers. It takes a little bit of practice, but if you use your middle finger for R2 and your pointer for R1 , you can be hitting notes as well as any other.

I can't imagine using your index finger to hit both R1 and R2 on anything higher than Intermediate.

I just meant the basic gameplay mechanics were more interesting. The actual campaign and unlocking of music in the new Amplitude is awful. And what makes it worse is that what I'm unlocking is so incredibly unsatisfying that I don't want to play further.

I don't even agree that at it's core Amplitude plays better. Three lanes just doesn't work on a controller. ASD and arrow keys on a keyboard, yeah that would work wonderfully. There is no comfortable layout for three fingers on a controller. Blitz's two lanes worked perfectly because there was a comfortable way to hit notes. That's not even starting on the impossibility of keeping a streak when you have to switch between drums and vocals.

Good luck using that position when you have to do anything rapid in the right lane. The DS4's R2 has far too much travel to work at that pace.

Just finished the campaign mode. The later tracks sound really good through a decent soundsystem!

Thought I failed Dalatecht though when it went all buzzy though.

I don't think you finished the game. I am stuck at the same spot as you and I don't know how to proceed.

There are 15 tracks in campaign, and Dalatecht is the 14th track. Anyone knows how to proceed to the 15th track? It says
Cognitive function not fully restored. Restore all ancillary pathway to revive patient.

I did all the streaks correctly and I tried my best doing it right at the end with it went all buzzy but it doesn't progress.

PepperedHam

Only complaint is having to sit through the little loading/intro stuff whenever I have to restart a song in the campaign. Just let me jump back in, I don't wanna hear about streaking the damn barrier every time.

psylah

Game is excellent.

I have to reteach myself to use L1+Triangle+Circle, I've played Left Arrow + Up Arrow + Triangle + Circle for DJ Max titles since the PSP era, I just wish I could use arrows + face buttons and change the track with the shoulders, then it would be 3.2T DJ Max Portable 3 style.

I don't think you finished the game. I am stuck at the same spot as you and I don't know how to proceed.

There are 15 tracks in campaign, and Dalatecht is the 14th track. Anyone knows how to proceed to the 15th track? It says
Cognitive function not fully restored. Restore all ancillary pathway to revive patient.

I did all the streaks correctly and I tried my best doing it right at the end with it went all buzzy but it doesn't progress.
There's three unlockable songs in the campaign, in each part you need to get 10 bars (the end of song rating) out of a possible 12 to unlock the song. If you didn't get track 15 you didn't do well enough. Gotta start the campaign again.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I played it a bit last night and yup, sure is amplitude. Good stuff.

Not really getting the soundtrack complaints. There's already a few tracks that I really like.

PepperedHam

I played it a bit last night and yup, sure is amplitude. Good stuff.

Not really getting the soundtrack complaints. There's already a few tracks that I really like.
Yea I'm absolutely in love with the soundtrack right now. Throw on my headphones, get into a rhythm and I'm set.

Top Bottom