• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPD is working on a Windows 10 handheld

CO_Andy

Final version:

New renders:
r1904514539730004f47.jpeg

v1867114539730720a47.jpeg

q4648114543125397b47.jpeg

Old but keeping for history's sake: Specs have not been revealed yet. They're asking folks on the Dingoonity board for suggestions in improving their conceptual design --

Most popular fan design so far on the board (may or may not be used in the final version) --

MUnited83

For you.
Oh yessss, the exact thing I was hoping for :D. I hope they aim for decent-ish specs, I would easily pay 400$/500$ for something well done.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
YES!
If well made and the price is right i'll buy it at d1!
Too bad steamboy is vaporware.

I love the idea and it's something I've always wanted since I saw that "99$ tablet runs crisis" thread :D

Something I'd personally prefer though would be indented thumbsticks.

I hated the thumbsticks on the DS3 so when the DS4 came out with indented thumbsticks it immediately became my primary game pad for playing games on PC.

TheMoon

so the designs come from DS fans (down to the exact +control pad shape) and Vita fans respectively? kinda odd :D

edit: oh holy cow, didn't notice the pseudo-vita uses wii u-sticks. crazytown!

PantsuJo

This is a fantastic idea, especially because is based on an Intel platform + Windows 10, not SteamOS.

It would be awesome to have my Steam games in my pocket! ^^

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Windows portable? Finally. Now just hope it's powerful enough to run most games. Might be too tiny to have a usable keyboard.

Stylus means resistive touchscreen, which is a good idea seeing that pc games are usually designed for bigger screens, and you need the precision.

Genio88

Looks good, but what hardware can you put into such a small thing? I guess a Intel core M CPU(like the Surface Pro 4 base model one) could be achievable, but even that couldn't guarantee enough power to run latest PC games that well

Eila

So good. I have a W8 (Updated to 10 now I guess) tablet and found it kind of useless, mostly because it only has 1 gb RAM and only has one mini-USB port. This seems to have 2 USB 3.0 ports & already comes with the gamepad and keyboard.
I'm a bit confused by the HDD Access "feature". This thing will have a laptop HDD? How thick will it be? And how would that affect battery life?

MUnited83

For you.
Looks good, but what hardware can you put into such a small thing? I guess a Intel core M CPU(like the Surface Pro 4 base model one) could be achievable, but even that couldn't guarantee enough power to run latest PC games that well

Well, the latest of AAA releases probably won't run very well if at all on this, but i'm perfectly fine if this plays indie games + AAA games at decent settings from 2012 and earlier.

nampad

YES, I knew one of the Chinese manufacturers will come through sooner or later. It being GPD makes this just so much sweeter.

Genio88

So good. I have a W8 (Updated to 10 now I guess) tablet and found it kind of useless, mostly because it only has 1 gb RAM and only has one mini-USB port. This seems to have 2 USB 3.0 ports & already comes with the gamepad and keyboard.
I'm a bit confused by the HDD Access "feature". This thing will have a laptop HDD? How thick will it be? And how would that affect battery life?

I think they'd go with eMMC for storage, should be the best compromise between price and performance

redlemon

I'm hopeful something will come of this. Though I think a lot of people might expect too much from this. I'd be happy if it could play indie games and a the odd jrpg port.
The only thing is I'm worried about is if it will have x-input.

Steel

Banned
Windows portable? Finally. Now just hope it's powerful enough to run most games. Might be too tiny to have a usable keyboard.

Stylus means resistive touchscreen, which is a good idea seeing that pc games are usually designed for bigger screens, and you need the precision.

Games from last gen will probably run well enough. Plus emulated games should be OK, but current gen AAA games? Hell nah. Not in that small a form factor.

Stylus also doesn't mean resistive touchscreen, either. And the keyboard will probably be fine, I have a keyboard remote I use sometimes that has buttons just as small that you can work with pretty well.

eso76

There's dozens chinese windows 10 tablets, what is making you guys think the specs will be any better than your average Pipo X ?
The fan made PSvita design is the only one that would actually make me interested in this

Steel

Banned
You know what I've been wondering, though, why isn't there an Nvidia shield portable or tablet that runs windows 10?

I like the Vita style more with the sliding screen personally.

If it had good specs and could run my steam games at least at medium settings then id think about getting it.

OH SH*T !!!!!! BOUGHT BOUGHT BOUGHT !!!!!!!!
Heres what I hope: 720p screen at MOST. Atom x5 5800 soc with a fan to prevent throttling. 4gb of ram. This thing could run so many xbox360 era title at native res.

QaaQer

Will we ever get an ergonomic handheld? The difference between holding a ds4/wiiu pro controller and vita/3ds/this thing is like the difference between Herman Miller chair and a tree stump.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hmm never thought I'd see the day where someone on Gaf mentions the dingoonity forums.

Besides some older Dingoo and GP2X threads, there are also some threads out there on GPD products and other Android-based handheld devices. GCW Zero threads also refer to the dingoonity forums.

RM8

Day one if it turns out to be good. But please use the clamshell design :( The ViitaU one is not as convenient for a handheld, and it's kind of ugly.

kuroshiki

I'de like to see a core M

I mean they can fit one in this thing.

Why not a larger handheld?

Have you used this?

It's ok for watching video and web browsing but anything more than that it is snail ride. Since you want this to be gaming device you might want little more oopmh.

MUnited83

For you.
There's dozens chinese windows 10 tablets, what is making you guys think the specs will be any better than your average Pipo X ?
The fan made PSvita design is the only one that would actually make me interested in this

GPD does good products with more than decent specs. They know their target users for this so i'm confident it will be quite a bit better than the average W10 tablet. Either way, is fucking awesome that Windows 10 handhelds are finally starting to being made. It will only get better from here.

Atolm

I'de like to see a core M

I mean they can fit one in this thing.

Why not a larger handheld?

A Core M would make this too expensive. Most of those Chinese companies rely on cheap, affordable products.

Expect a X5-Z8500 or X7-Z8700 at most. Hell even most tablets and mini PCs are shipping with the 8300 and some tablets with the 8500 have throttling issues.

PantsuJo

A Core M would make this too expensive. Most of those Chinese companies rely on cheap, affordable products.

Expect a X5-Z8500 or X7-Z8700 at most. Hell even most tablets and mini PCs are shipping with the 8300 and some tablets with the 8500 have throttling issues.
But this hardware should be absolutely capable of run a lot of Indies, doujin and light 3d games.

Siege.exe

The clamshell design looks pretty beefy, so I'd probably go for the one with the sliding screen. Either way, I'd be down for something like that depending on what games it can run.

RowdyReverb

Would this be able to stream games from an Xbox One or Steam In-Home streaming? If so, I'd suggest 802.11ac wifi if possible.

CISphil

Neo Member
Will we ever get an ergonomic handheld? The difference between holding a ds4/wiiu pro controller and vita/3ds/this thing is like the difference between Herman Miller chair and a tree stump.

3ds and ergonomic are 2 words that don't go together.

I'd be interested in something decent I can play old RPGs and turn based games on without needing to stream them. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. I do think that fan design is a solid choice.

Atolm

3ds and ergonomic are 2 words that don't go together.

I'd be interested in something decent I can play old RPGs and turn based games on without needing to stream them. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. I do think that fan design is a solid choice.

You can play the Infinity Engine games (minus IWD2 and PST) on Android/iPad and they're amazing. I have them on my tablet and they made me wish for a solid gaming scene there aside from F2P stuff.

Pity no one bothers with porting Fallout or Arcanum.

CISphil

Neo Member
You can play the Infinity Engine games (minus IWD2 and PST) on Android/iPad and they're amazing. I have them on my tablet and they made me wish for a solid gaming scene there aside from F2P stuff.

Pity no one bothers with porting Fallout or Arcanum.

Well, I mostly wanted to play the old Fallout games. I loved what little I played of them but I just can't get into them when playing on my desktop for whatever reason.
But I wasn't aware of the Infinity Engine games so I'll look into that, thanks.

Top Bottom