• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online course teaching game development with Unity - $10 bucks on Udemy.

Afrocious

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

I've been doing it for the past few days and I like it so far. I feel like it's a bit slow since I already code for a living, but for folks who haven't quite cut their teeth in game dev or coding - I think this class is great and straightforward.

The deal ends on the 11th. Also, the deal applies for most other classes on the site.

Dunno if this belongs properly in games, but if it needs to be moved, then so be it.

Simzyy

Thanks for this. Been meaning to try learn Unity as a side project.

For that price I might as well give it a go.

Afrocious

Would this be a good place to start if you don't have programming experience?

Yes. The programming in the beginning is both basic and eludes to more advanced techniques devs in general use without shoving it in your face.

Example: the numerical guessing game you make in the beginning uses binary searching to guess numbers. You don't study binary searching or its speed and efficiency, instead you just code the thing.

Afrocious

Why would you choose this over the official tutorials that are 100% free??

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

Because 10 bucks is nothing in the scope of learning something in a structured format.

In terms of learning anything, going for only the free stuff undermines the knowledge itself.

If someone is unwilling to invest cash in themselves as far as learning anything, discount or not, they're not going to learn much.

Not to bash the free tutorials, but I personally prefer hand-holding and more structure and am willing to pay for it. And since I'm willing to pay for it, I've invested a resource already, and wouldn't want my investment to go wasted.

neonille

In terms of learning anything, going for only the free stuff undermines the knowledge itself.

If someone is unwilling to invest cash in themselves as far as learning anything, discount or not, they're not going to learn much.

What? That's the biggest rubbish i have ever heard.
You don't need to spend a dime to learn anything these days.

Maybe if you wanna learn something very specific that very few people know anything about you have to pay for it, but Unity? The most popular game engine out there? NO

Youtube literally has 100 of tutorials, completely free. Unity website has structured tutorials as well
Space shooter for example.

Afrocious

Maybe if you wanna learn something very specific that very few people know anything about you have to pay for it, but Unity? The most popular game engine out there? NO

Youtube literally has 100 of tutorials, completely free. Unity website has structured tutorials as well

Also, just because there's a lot of tutorials for something that are available for free doesn't mean they're curated to be, well, good. Look at PHP.

Sure, there are some good ones that are free, but I feel like if you have the money and want to learn something, why not pay someone to teach you?

Personally, I have no time or interest to pick and choose from a ton of tutorials.

I got the Unity game physics ($10), art asset, and coding courses during the Unreal Developer Course in C++ Kickstater hype last November (£35). I wish I could give comment on any of them, but I haven't actually had the time to sit down and do anything with them having just started full time work.

The guy that does this stuff, Ben Tristem, apparently comes highly recommended from loads of people.

I'd say if you want to do it for fun or learn how to make assets you could sell on a store, these courses are a pretty good deal, as long as you're paying at the discount prices.

It's a curation thing. The content is higher quality, more organized, and comes with support services from the instructor/company.

Not everyone has time to dick around on youtube looking for a specific thing. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to look up something for Blender on Youtube only to find that thing detailed in an 6 years old video in a long depreciated version of blender.

Because 10 bucks is nothing in the scope of learning something in a structured format.

Not to bash the free tutorials, but I personally prefer hand-holding and more structure and am willing to pay for it. And since I'm willing to pay for it, I've invested a resource already, and wouldn't want my investment to go wasted.

It really depends on what kind of person you are and the quality of the materials out there. You can absolutely learn things without paying for tutorial courses; I learned pretty much everything I use at my web development job using free resources.

Wow what crazy timing... Been at school for programming and just told myself I need to put it toward my passion of gaming and modding.

Thanks OP! GONNA GRAB THIS.

Afrocious

It really depends on what kind of person you are and the quality of the materials out there. You can absolutely learn things without paying for tutorial courses; I learned pretty much everything I use at my web development job using free resources.

Same (thank god). I was almost considering doing one of those 10k+ bootcamps!

However, I didn't truly learn how to be a developer until I got a job a software engineer ironically enough.

So I'm basically being paid a living salary to learn.

It's like reverse grad school or something lol

After spending some time in CS I realize my interest is leaning towards Hardware Engineering. Does anyone have any recommended courses or just a place to start? I couldn't find anything on Udemy for that.

Afrocious

After spending some time in CS I realize my interest is leaning towards Hardware Engineering. Does anyone have any recommended courses or just a place to start? I couldn't find anything on Udemy for that.

I believe Coursera or Harvard EdX has what you're looking for. 99% sure the content you seek is free too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Thanks!

How does this fair for someone who codes C# professionally but would like to learn how Unity is coded through it?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Thanks!

How does this fair for someone who codes C# professionally but would like to learn how Unity is coded through it?

You'll probably swim through 50% of the stuff easily. Its only 10 bucks and it goes through game design stuff pretty heavily with documents so you'll be fine.

kavanf1

Thanks for this OP. I probably won't get around to it any time soon, but for £9 it's worth having available.

Breads

Banned
Been meaning to convert some of my older work to after affects and unity and I saw that there are some discounted courses on both so this thread has been a boon for me. Thanks OP! If it goes well I will definitely look into this site some more.

:edit:

Got a blender and 3d masterclass (weapon) courses as well. Much better use of my time than having spent this on a videogame. Quadruple thanks OP!

kanuuna

12€ seems reasonable even for something that might end up sitting unused for a while.
I ended up picking up 3 more courses on top of that though (2x 3DS Max, iOS9). Oh boy. But then again, that totals to about a single newly released game would cost, and there aren't too many of those coming out right this moment.

Bert

Thanks for the heads up. Just got that and the Blender course. Self teaching has been slow and I want to offer both to my students. Should be well worth £20.

Huh, my lil bro in high school is always talking about wanting to get into programming and video games.

Might buy this one and some others for him so he can get off his ass and start with something.

Thanks OP

Afrocious

Yeah, I'm not horrible at math but what do you need to know in order to make a game? I doubt a $10 training course is going to quickly and easily catch me up on years of math classes.

I think the dude was joking.

Just take the class. Jesus, if it's this easy to talk yourself out of spending 10 bucks to learn something new because you have your own notion on something, then I dunno lol.

faridmon

I wish there were courses like these but with graphic design.

EDIT: Actually the do have some. I am going to browse the website fully! Thanks for the heads up OP.

EDIT: Just bought 2 courses on Photoshop and Revit. Even though I have used Revit before and know it well enough, there are couple of things I have founded that could spice up my skills in it.

DNAbro

Yeah, I'm not horrible at math but what do you need to know in order to make a game? I doubt a $10 training course is going to quickly and easily catch me up on years of math classes.

well you need logic and some basic arithmetic and algebra can help. I doubt this course requires any super complicated math.

Speely

Banned
Thanks so much for the heads up! I have wanted something similar for a while since I am the kind of person who needs structure and application to learn stuff like this. I am woefully undisciplined until I feel like I understand a thing fundamentally, at which point I can focus a lot better. This sounds like a good way to get there. Cheers!

Top Bottom