• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MArio 64 Parallel Universes and Timecubes - A masterclass in how to TAS/Glitch

Dinjoralo

I'm pretty sure pannenkoek knows more about Super Mario 64 than anyone else on the planet. All in the pursuit of beating the game with as few a presses as possible. The man's insane. Hey, someone has to do this for prosperity.

This is fucking crazy and I loved every minute of it.

If someone could distill physics into video-game jargon such as this, man would I have taken a different career path.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I could barely follow anything that was said, I got the gist of but so hard to follow. I have never watched these specialized playthroughs before but this gave me a new appreciation for them. Plus it's making me want to check some out.

I wish I could set my mind to solving a problem or learning something I'm interested in like this guy can. I don't really care if it serves a greater good for society or is trivial, it's the dedication and successful execution that is commendable in itself.

I've seen some TAS SM64 runs before but it was really interesting to see how they worked. I knew it was complex, but damn. Parallel universes?

mackattk

I wish I could set my mind to solving a problem or learning something I'm interested in like this guy can. I don't really care if it serves a greater good for society or is trivial, it's the dedication and successful execution that is commendable in itself.

Yeah I know. I have literally nothing in my life that I am even close to as dedicated as this guy has with SM64. A lot of people might think "oh what a loser, he is wasting his time", etc. but if it makes him happy more power to him. I just wish I could get as much satisfaction as anything in my life as he does with this.

Dude would have cancer cured in a month.

Neoweee

On a related side note, how much of the research is his own? Did he develop the PU and QPU grid theories on his own, or are those well-known within the TAS community?

If those are established ideas, then what he did is clever as hell, but not a tremendous amount of work. Real, applicable research is a horribly long time sink that simply doesn't pan out most of the time. He's not missing much.

red731

SIfv3No.jpg

MOST IMPRESSIVE
I love some people.

Piers

Not true, a lot of stuff just can't be pulled off real time

It doesn't have to necessarily be all of it. I'm frustrated by the hypocrisy that a margin of traditional speed-runners argue TAS as being entertainment rather than serious. Then during this AGDQ, there was a SMW segment where people were replicating the credits glitch in real-time. Or the SM64 reverse long-jump.

Segments like Kingdom Hearts and Donkey Kong TR were my favourite because everything there were earnest techniques and tricks, rather than borrowing things that were found by frame-by-frame emulator shenanigans.

Just got around to watching this, and it is absolutely wonderful. Not only has this guy deconstructed one of the best games of all time into its' bare essentials, he's found unique ways to manipulate those essentials to do the impossible. Plus, he actually explained all of it in a (relatively) coherent manner with great production values. I'm really impressed.

It also says so much about a game like Mario 64 that after nearly 20 years, people are still finding shit that is possible with those fundamentals. SM64 is the bedrock of all modern 3D videogames, and this shows why.

Mind blowing stuff from a simple and friendly game. Taking 12 hours to make freaking parallel universes?!
From how I understood it, it was that it took 12 hours to gain enough speed to be able to jump, in different directions, through multiple instances of said parallel universes on a grid so that he'd end up at the exact coordinates of that goddamn scuttlebug on the original map after all of it. I think.

Halcyon

There was a time where I was a young lad and I thought it was insane that I could jump up onto the top of the castle without the canon. Then after that I figured out how to backflip down to the door without triggering the camera-man and I thought I was some sort of Mario 64 god.

It's been 20 years and this guy is teleporting through different universes to time a jump so that he doesn't have to press a button once. It's insanity.

Top Bottom