• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree |OT| Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei

Arghh why does this game keep crashing. Three times now it's kicked me out to the dashboard for no reason.

Also one of my achievements is stuck on 'done, unlocking' which is weird.

Yeah, it's a glitched game for sure.

The achievement will unlock. It'll just be delayed. Common problem on X1.

Thanks. I honestly knew that, but just needed reassurance as per the damned OCD.

Pachimari

Cross-posting my first-impression:

Currently a little more than an hour into Oxenfree and it's pretty good. It's nothing spectacular but even though the plot seems simple, it's still intriguing, especially the way it's presented. The dialogue mechanism is great and it all moves fluidly. There are a few kinks gameplay-wise though, where the walking isn't always precise, and the controls can suddenly invert. There's a few glitches. The radio is interesting, and there's some truly uneasy moments. I like it so far. Hopefully I can complete it this weekend.

GavinUK86

Just finished it. Such a good game, really surprised me. The first surprise of 2016 already.

I ended up convincing the ghosts to leave us alone. Using the name Francis seemed to make them remember.

Saved everyone, made up with Clarissa, Ren and Nona are together, Jonas and Alex are happy and Michael is still dead.

I chose to go the college nearby in the final choice.

Then all that tape thing happened so it's pretty ambiguous what actually happened. I like it.

I also collected all the letters and found all the hidden spots where you have to tune your radio.

One weird thing happened after the credits though, unless it's intentional. I can't continue or reload your game. It starts at the ferry again as a new game and all the collectibles are gone. That's pretty shitty.

JonnyKong

So if we want to find all the collectibles we should do it on our first run? Cos I don't think I can be bothered to NG it. If that's the case, maybe somebody can kindly let us know when the end point begins.

GavinUK86

So if we want to find all the collectibles we should do it on our first run? Cos I don't think I can be bothered to NG it. If that's the case, maybe somebody can kindly let us know when the end point begins.

The end point is pretty obvious. One of the characters lets you know.

Exactly

It gives you the point of no return speech near the end, so this makes sense.

I missed four of the supernatural events and found one letter. I sucked at finding collectibles in this game.

Has anyone done a second playthrough yet?
If the game is a time loop, would be cool if in future playthroughs, characters remember stuff from past playthroughs

Zomba13

Just finished it. I really liked it. (ending spoilers below)

Collectables:
I got all the anomalies and all the letter. The letters seemed to have impacted my ending because it gave me stuff to talk about. Don't know about the anomalies. I dunno if you can miss photos but I imagine they can be different like one I had with Ren and Nona close together.

Choices:
I ended up getting Ren and Nona together, made up with Clarissa but ended up distant with Jonas though I didn't really mean it that way, I ended up missing one dialouge prompt and one I picked was taken in a way I didn't intend.

Ending:
The time loop thing is kinda cool but also kinda disappointing. Not in a "this is bad story waaah" but in a "it's disappointing that these characters might not be free and clear". I ended up trying to convince the ghosts to remember who they were and it seemed to work, until the time loop thing during the final photo talk over thing. I really liked the whole you leaving messages thing. I think what someone said with them being Dark Souls like things is right because you can see the usernames in the reflections and I know that it wasn't mine during those times (though I couldn't make out whose because it's distorted and backwards). I ended up just saying what I was told at those points because I thought it was like, a time loop constant thing and didn't really realise until after. Mine all told me basically to stay neutral though when I actually went into the past I told the brother to go for it with Clarissa and I tried to help Jonas with the tape player/radio thing (which yeah, was stupid but maybe it got him out of the way for the finale? Maybe he might've interfered at the end? I dunno.)

All in all I really enjoyed it. I loved the art and style of the game, I liked the dialouge and voice acting, I liked the weird shit with ghosts stuff.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Just finished it. Such a good game, really surprised me. The first surprise of 2016 already.

Saved everyone, made up with Clarissa, Ren and Nona are together, Jonas and Alex are happy and Michael is still dead.

did you really
save everyone
if
Michael is still dead?
Wondering if you can do it all...

Karak

Enjoyed it and finished up review. Not exactly sure about the price though. But in the end I enjoyed it.
Review for ACG Link

luckily just 1 overal glitch and that was just climbing the rocks not working 1 time.

Their use of music was brilliant in many ways but also a bit clumsy from time to time as well. Highlight though was channeling John Carpenter at the tower background.

4K support seems to be broken currently, it just loads a 1920x1080 window without even downsampling it. Oh well, I'll wait for them to fix it.

Really love the atmosphere, music, and characters. I tried to gather all of the collectibles, but only ended up with 10 anomalies and 8 letters. Moving around the island becomes painfully tedious, so I just couldn't be bothered to keep looking.

JonnyKong

Just finished it now. I couldn't be bothered getting all the collectibles either.

Really great game though, an 8/10 from me. I felt like it had a bit of padding at the end though.

I loved the soundtrack, and just general vibe. I don't know how I'd describe it though, it's very 80s esque teenage suburban like? No I give up. I'd say the atmosphere reminded me of Donnie Darko in some way.

Is this the studios first game?

Zomba13

Really love the atmosphere, music, and characters. I tried to gather all of the collectibles, but only ended up with 10 anomalies and 8 letters. Moving around the island becomes painfully tedious, so I just couldn't be bothered to keep looking.

That is one of the things stopping me from replaying right now. The pace is fine for a first run but when I want to go again I don't want to have to walk around the island again to grab everything because it's so slow.

GavinUK86

did you really
save everyone
if
Michael is still dead?
Wondering if you can do it all...

Yeah because he
was already dead before the game even starts so I don't feel like I need to resurrect him or anything which I think is possible

BraXzy

I just finished this. It was enjoyable but for whatever reason, it never fully grabbed me. I wasn't fully invested which is a shame. Certain things were brilliant though like the dialogue system, fully VO'd branching narrative, atmosphere and art.

I may try a playthrough again in the future and see how I feel then.

Chucker

Just finished it! That got kind of intense.

Might be the buggiest game I've played on XONE, but still fantastic.

Bonded with Jonas, Michael is still dead, Nona and Ren aren't dating and Clarissa hates me

So, I've got at least two more playthroughs to go.

RetroMG

So I watched this game on Steam Train, and it seems very cool. It looks like it would be right up my wife's alley too, but before I take that plunge... This is pretty clearly intended to be a horror game, right? I keep seeing the movie title Poltergeist getting thrown around. I assume characters can die, and that's fine, but how graphic is it?

If it's a ton of blood and guts, my wife will not be down to play it, in which case, I'll just play it by myself. Anyone willing to rate it on a scale of 1 to Corpse Party?

So I watched this game on Steam Train, and it seems very cool. It looks like it would be right up my wife's alley too, but before I take that plunge... This is pretty clearly intended to be a horror game, right? I keep seeing the movie title Poltergeist getting thrown around. I assume characters can die, and that's fine, but how graphic is it?

If it's a ton of blood and guts, my wife will not be down to play it, in which case, I'll just play it by myself. Anyone willing to rate it on a scale of 1 to Corpse Party?

Don't worry about blood, guts or any sort of gore. It's not that type of game.

The horror comes from eeriness, unsettling unnerving atmosphere, and such. No jump scares or gore

An hour and change in. Dialog's fun. Visually pleasant. Voice acting's alright. Spooky things are starting to happen. There's some niggles, like Jonas got stuck climbing a wall once, I wish they'd applied effects to voices to simulate echo, distance etc. And did I really have to go forth, then all the way back and then all the way forth again in that cave?

But I like it.

An hour and change in. Dialog's fun. Visually pleasant. Voice acting's alright. Spooky things are starting to happen. There's some niggles, like Jonas got stuck climbing a wall once, I wish they'd applied effects to voices to simulate echo, distance etc. And did I really have to go forth, then all the way back and then all the way forth again in that cave?

But I like it.
It's part of the atmosphere. I didnt even realize what had happened until the characters realized it and I had the same "oh shit, this is not good" reaction they did.

But I like it.

There were a couple of moments for me, too, when the lack of audio modulation was immersion breaking. I think it's mostly there to disguise some of the weaknesses of the AI.

For example, the AI is shit at getting out of your way on any of the climbable walls or ladders. To solve this, the devs just made it so your partners try to wait until you've finished climbing before they get on and climb. I say "try" because it is possible to climb back onto the wall/ladder when they're still on it and share the space with them. Then a lot of ugly visual clipping happens as your character models intersect.

If there was audio fall off, the yoyo-ing of the NPCs would be a lot more obvious, so I'm okay with how they left it out.

Just started this based solely on the good word of mouth and loving the touch points - but I'm a little confused by the thought bubbles with peoples faces popping up.

I'm assuming it's a good thing? There hasn't been any real communication on what that is actually trying to convey, and I'm apparently a little dense right now as it's flying over my head. If it's supposed to be that they liked what you said - then why does it seem to sometimes happen even if the response wasn't actually liked? Is is just a variation on that Telltale 'So-And-So Will Remember That'?

Any input? Only played for about 20 minutes, but I liked what I saw so far. Thinking I am going to save this for a night when I can really sit down and put some time into it, instead of only getting an hour or so into it tonight and turning in.

Just started this based solely on the good word of mouth and loving the touch points - but I'm a little confused by the thought bubbles with peoples faces popping up.

I'm assuming it's a good thing? There hasn't been any real communication on what that is actually trying to convey, and I'm apparently a little dense right now as it's flying over my head. If it's supposed to be that they liked what you said - then why does it seem to sometimes happen even if the response wasn't actually liked? Is is just a variation on that Telltale 'So-And-So Will Remember That'?

Any input? Only played for about 20 minutes, but I liked what I saw so far. Thinking I am going to save this for a night when I can really sit down and put some time into it, instead of only getting an hour or so into it tonight and turning in.

You have it right. It's just a so-and-so will remember that icon.

I don't think the game needs it. The dialog runs naturally enough that you should be able to automatically clue in to how people will react. Maybe it's there for people who want to game the system.

You have it right. It's just a so-and-so will remember that icon.

I don't think the game needs it. The dialog runs naturally enough that you should be able to automatically clue in to how people will react. Maybe it's there for people who want to game the system.

Ahh got it. That makes much more sense - and I'd agree, even at this early point in the game it seems super unnatural to the flow. Everything else about the dialogue seems lovely, but this one bit kept leaping out at me and was distracting.

Definitely looking forward to getting in more time soon!

PaulloDEC

Just finished. Really liked it, though ended on a kinda sour note when the game told me that I prevented
Nona and Ren from dating
when I actually damaged my relationship with
Ren in order to give him loads of time alone with Nona. I pretty much forced the two of them together at every possible opportunity.

Feeling like I might have to go back for another run now. I think I'd enjoy that if only for the music, visuals and dialogue anyway.

Pachimari

Yeah, I didn't know what the head bubbles were for either. I thought it was kind of like "will remember that", a little like Until Dawn with its butterfly effects but without actually changing the narrative in Oxenfree.

mbpm1

Played through like, 3 hours last night. Great atmosphere. Type of horror that's right up my alley. Can't wait to finish tonight.

Krabboss

The game has problems. It feels like the voice actors were not really coached in the booth because nobody reacts to things appropriately.

Also, I don't know if they really researched radios before making the game. At one point a comment is made that a low frequency radio signal wouldn't be able to reach off of the island, when low frequency radio waves travel farther than high frequency waves.

Meneses

I'm liking the music and the look of the game, but the voice acting (apart from Alex, which seems fine) is mediocre, it's really turning me off.

mbpm1

I think the voice acting is what I'd expect from some teens.

The problem is more the script st times I feel.

HotHamBoy

Looks gorgeous. But if it's only 7-8 hours long that's disappointing when you consider that Life is Strange is also $20 and much longer. Gonna put this on my radar and wait for a sale.

I don't understand the logic here. Many games at different pricepoints run the gamut of length. 7-8 hours seems pretty good to me.

Zomba13

I don't understand the logic here. Many games at different pricepoints run the gamut of length. 7-8 hours seems pretty good to me.

It took me around 4 hours to get a pretty good ending and all the collectables. Game is definitely made for multiple play-throughs though.

Krabboss

I think the voice acting is what I'd expect from some teens.

The problem is more the script st times I feel.

They're very nonchalant about what's happening in front of them most of the time. They rarely ever sound scared. Sometimes the script is off, but most of the time it just feels like a bad read. A Whedon-esque snarky tone runs through the entire game and it sucks out a lot of the tension.
When a friend is literally hovering midair and clearly possessed by something, their voices barely even escalate. It's just a sort "Um... what's happening?" https://youtu.be/qBvxnUWcBcQ?t=1057
If they're going for an off-kilter thing like Buffy, I just don't think they were very successful.

Most of the script's problems are in Ren and Clarissa.
Also I don't know if these kids would know who Carmen Sandiego is, but I suppose a time period isn't mentioned.

mbpm1

Finished it.

Damn...

Just damn, that ending. I felt like I knew it was going to happen, but it still stung.I tried to Pacifist my way out by getting them to leave us alone and everything.

Still, great game.

Has anyone done a second playthrough yet?
If the game is a time loop, would be cool if in future playthroughs, characters remember stuff from past playthroughs

That'd be cool. Very Undertale.

schlew

Finished it and love it! The dozen or more crashes didn't hurt my opinion, but I sure hope they got ironed out with this upcoming patch.

I liked the dialog, and while I agree there's little to convey there was actual fear in the character's voices, tone and emphasis was done very well throughout. I had to wonder if the subtitles were of the actual script, as there was plenty of asterisks around words that needed emphasis ("You *have* to get out of here, *neoGAF*!" for example). The voice actors hit those notes well, but I'm hardly in the know regarding the level of direction they were provided.

It was nice to play something scary that wasn't actually scary, if that makes sense. The fear was present, but I never was uncomfortable or anything, which is a huge plus for me. I'm a wuss and even games like RE6 have me shaking, so it's great to play something without having to pause every 3 minutes for a breather.

So I just finished it. Ending spoilers.

I didn't get all the collectibles, I didn't let Jonas talk to his mom (was it actually his mom?), Ren and Nona got together, made up with Clarissa and was close with Jonas. I tried to save everyone and for a minute there I thought it actually worked...until the actual ending. Is there no way to escape that? Is it always a time loop? I felt so bummed after thinking I had saved everyone. Now I don't know wtf is going on.

So I just finished it. Ending spoilers.

I didn't get all the collectibles, I didn't let Jonas talk to his mom (was it actually his mom?), Ren and Nona got together, made up with Clarissa and was close with Jonas. I tried to save everyone and for a minute there I thought it actually worked...until the actual ending. Is there no way to escape that? Is it always a time loop? I felt so bummed after thinking I had saved everyone. Now I don't know wtf is going on.
You didn't save everyone....You didn't save Michael

Yeah, I know. I really need to do a second playthrough

You didn't save everyone....You didn't save Michael

Yeah, I know. I really need to do a second playthrough

Yeah, I just read up on other peoples endings. Ugh. I wonder where I messed up. Also wonder if the time loop still happens with Michael.

I'm not sure if it's just the length of the game or just the way it tells its story but I feel like Oxenfree is way more replayable than most heavy cinematic/story based games.

I'm not sure if it's just the length of the game or just the way it tells its story but I feel like Oxenfree is way more replayable than most heavy cinematic/story based games.
I agree. I never replay choice-driven narrative games like Walking Dead or Life Is Strange, like ever, but I'm definitely going to replay Oxenfree. Loved the characters and the choices never felt like the binary good/bad, nice/mean, etc. choices of other similar games

Plus there was more freedom compared to similar games like
choosing to rescue Ren or Clarissa first.
or
choosing who to take with you to the shops

damn it. I just tried running a completely silent playthrough. It started off super awkward and everything, but then at the top of the first hill she is forced to speak when you go to push the trash bin against the fence. Ah well. At least I failed quickly rather than halfway through the game or something.

Breads

Banned
I'm in love with the dialogue in clips that I have seen. Please tell me the entire game is voice acted like that.

Top Bottom