• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DmC

Gaz_RB

This game is my favorite character action game. Love Dante and the story in this, and I still come back and play the Bloody Palace from time to time. Wish there would be a DmC2.

Dreavus

It's a fine game. I really enjoy the artstyle. The way the world contorts and buckles when in limbo is awesome.

I really fucking hate the "coloured" enemies though, especially when going for a second playthrough. Made me give up after a while. I should try and dig around for a mod to fix that.

Jawmuncher

Too bad DMC isn't a big enough series in capcom's eyes. Where they could go ok DMC5, next DmC2 and so on. Resident Evil seems to be doing well with the multiple IPs of different styles under the umbrella.

Gaz_RB

Too bad DMC isn't a big enough series in capcom's eyes. Where they could go ok DMC5, next DmC2 and so on. Resident Evil seems to be doing well with the multiple IPs of different styles under the umbrella.

This would be the ideal way of things. But I sense that Capcom may be heading down Konami road pretty soon.

Ok maybe there are valid complaints about the gameplay and design but you failed to bring up even one. Taken on it's own merits it's a challenging, deep and rewarding game that is super fun to play through multiple times. It's certainly better designed than devil may cry 1 and 4 and I definitely enjoyed it much more than 1 and 3 personally.

Yeah because most of us are tired of explaining repeat points to drive by comments like the one you made. Take some time to read up on the original release - it had a 30fps lock, no hard lock on system and a simplified control scheme. it also had color coded enemies that didn't encourage varied gameplay, and it had a broken style meter that was too easy to top off.

On top of all that, NT and Capcom took a huge dump on the OG fan base. All of these links exist, I'm sorry I'm not in the mood to drudge them back up. There's plenty of legitimate criticism on the game that you chose to block out in favor of making a shit
Generalization.

Luckily, both SE editions moved the gameplay on line with the OG series, so things are looking up. Plus, the DE of DmC removes a lot of complaints I mentioned above, so if you can handle the (imo) nauseating story and characters, the gameplay has been improved

Sesha

I really wish there was a PC version of DmC DE.

This would be the ideal way of things. But I sense that Capcom may be heading down Konami road pretty soon.

I doubt it. It seemed that way a couple of years ago, but they seem more or less properly dedicated to console games currently.

Jawmuncher

I really wish there was a PC version of DmC DE.

I doubt it. It seemed that way a couple of years ago, but they seem more or less fully dedicated to console games currently.

Fucking Phanta Rei really screwed them over this gen. Have a feeling they'll be sticking to remasters and UE4 this gen. Next gen I see them coming back in full force, just being smarter with their IPs and not just handing them out to anyone who asks.

Sesha

Fucking Phanta Rei really screwed them over this gen. Have a feeling they'll be sticking to remasters and UE4 this gen. Next gen I see them coming back in full force, just being smarter with their IPs and not just handing them out to anyone who asks.

I doubt it's just Panta Rhei. They've been really slow on the uptake. Just less than two years ago they made a huge deal about mobile/online and barely talked about console games. Deep Down and Dead Rising 3 being their only major new titles until SF5 last year is telling. It seems they didn't expect consoles to do well, so they put all their focus behind mobile, until that starting failing them as well. The latest Jimquisition claims to have an explanation for the last few years of at least Capcom and Square Enix and their approach to console development.

Hazmat

I played this thanks to PS+ after having written it off based on the design, but I ended up really liking it. I still wish that the series had kept its traditional style, but I'll openly admit to being wrong on this one.

Jawmuncher

I doubt it's just Panta Rhei. They've been really slow on the uptake. Just less than two years ago they made a huge deal about mobile/online and barely talked about console games. Deep Down and Dead Rising 3 being their only major new titles until SF5 last year is telling. It seems they didn't expect consoles to do well, so they put all their focus behind mobile, until that starting failing them as well. The latest Jimquisition claims to have an explanation for the last few years of at least Capcom and Square Enix and their approach to console development.

I did forget about that little area, where they seemed like they were about to give up on mobile. Glad they came around, mobile can be a good money maker. But it shouldn't be your sole focus when it wasn't your start up to begin with. Considering how much of a lottery it can be. Still I think the engine had to be at least partial. Deep Down seems to be dead, if not then it'll surely be reworked at this point.

Sesha

I did forget about that little area, where they seemed like they were about to give up on mobile. Glad they came around, mobile can be a good money maker. But it shouldn't be your sole focus when it wasn't your start up to begin with. Considering how much of a lottery it can be. Still I think the engine had to be at least partial. Deep Down seems to be dead, if not then it'll surely be reworked at this point.

Although I would like to, I can't completely blame them for being confused. The Japanese industry is still very insular, and consoles are basically dead in Japan, and mobile games make tons of money for almost all the big Japanese publishers.
Anecdotally, I lived in a Japanese guy's dorm in 2013 and only one or two out of 60+ guys owned a PS3/Xbox 360. Both of them loved CoD, oddly enough, and had more Western-specific interests than the rest.

It's telling when you look at how desperate Konami got. Luckily Capcom has several major IPs that appeals to both the West and Japan. Besides MGS and ProEvo Konami only had Silent Hill and Castlevania that had blockbuster potential, and the last two games in either series were failures.

It's a fun character action game. I liked it a lot. Maybe cause I'm not a huge DMC fan so I didn't care much about Dante. I do feel like DmC Dante is a lot more likable towards the end of the game. I also like how the Angel/Demon mechanics were used in the game. In the definitive edition, the faster pace really makes the gameplay better. I never noticed how slow it was until I played Bayoneta and MGR.

Pacotez

this is what criticism of dmc boils down to. Series fans annoyed that they didn't get another tired retread like devil may cry 4.

"dmc criticism boils down to not being a "true" dmc game"
"dmc criticism boils down to Dante without white hair"
"dmc criticism boils down to fans not giving it a chance"

Why do you guys keep spouting this bs?

Good stuff, OP. It's a fantastic game and the ONLY action game the west has ever done. Be it the basic design the original IP already sports or the Capcom influence in their principles (IIRC Capcom had 8+ staff on board this project with Itsuno overseeing them), NT delivered where they haven't ever set foot before, combat with a high skill ceiling. They were pretty much stuck with the adventure genre before this with a narrative driven set piece heavy approach with combat being on the casual side, but that genre is already populated with some commercial big names like god of war, Darksiders etc.

This was the perfect time for them to elevate themselves and they did so, albeit with legit criticisms affecting gameplay (ignore the silly drive-by's you see on the internet regarding the game/character's looks or even the story).

Angel/Demon specific enemytypes interrupt mixups ending up affecting high level play. Demon pull/Angel lift spams, angel evade, most moves having a very large input buffer window, an OP parry and the frametimes of enemy step resulting in an OP jump cancel. A mechanically inferior title to DMC4 (shouldn't be compared to the original series but that was the previous release and as a consumer you obviously expect something better from the next installment whether it's a sequel or not so...) with a streamlined moveset, completely removing/ignoring stylesets with switching on the fly which made DMC4 a borderline 2D fighting game (and 3SE PC version with style switch mod which is even better). Not to mention lack of hard/toggle lock-on's, double tap directional stingers/moves (MGR had this as well) lack of taunts, a style meter that fills up really fast etc.

The irony is most of these issues (barring moveset) have been fixed in DmC DE and it didn't sell quite as well as the original game. :( It doesn't help much since skill based action games are a bread and butter console genre, but the DE SHOULD release on the PC. It's weird not because, 4SE, inarguably a better game by a mile is on PC but not this. It seems Capcom are fixated that the PC userbase won't care for this. Well, the community will for sure at least. -_-

That said there are quite a few better design choices in DmC than the original series like mid mission checkpoints for example. Also some presentation improvements like stat tracking which weren't in the originals.

I'd soooo want Capcom, after DMC5, to hire NT again to make a DmC 2 having the DE as the base of w/e they come up with. Itsuno before the release of 4SE really sounded ambiguous when asked about a sequel to DmC so it's not out yet. If they do it, it MUST be NT.

Also, do yourself a favor and play 3SE + pickup 4SE on w/e platform you have. They're worth your time and then some, for YEARS.

PulseONE

I'm with you, OP, its one of my favorite DMC games, and one of my favorite games all around when it comes to the art style of the environments and the music (Noisia side, at least)

"dmc criticism boils down to not being a "true" dmc game"
"dmc criticism boils down to Dante without white hair"
"dmc criticism boils down to fans not giving it a chance"

Why do you guys keep spouting this bs?
Every single DmC thread has ignoramuses who trot out the same tired strawman arguments then never respond whenever 'bitter' DMC 'fanboys' who 'didn't give the game a chance' and 'killed the brand out of spite' somehow manage to articulate detailed critiques of every aspect of the game.

KevinCow

Banned
DmC is the only game in the series that I like.

A large reason for this is that it's the only game in the series that I played that understands the concept of a difficulty curve.

DMC1 and 3 both have parts early on where the game just says, "Hey, I know you've just started so you barely know how to play the game, but now you need to slam your head against this brick wall and die over and over again until you figure out how to play and finally beat this part."

So I never got very far in those games, because I reached those parts, and I said, "Fuck you, that's not fun, so I'm not doing that." Maybe some people find that kind of difficulty cliff fun, but I don't.

DmC... doesn't do that. It gradually ramps up the difficulty until you're doing things in Dante Must Die mode that you never imagined you'd be doing when you started the game.

Also, DMC1 and 3 have terrible cameras and terrible default control layouts that, if I'm remembering right, you can't customize. DmC actually has a competent modern camera and let me change the controls to what they should've been in the first place.

DE fixed a lot of issues that DMC fans were screaming about since DmC's inception so that was good (and showed Capcom/NT was listening). It's a shame Capcom didn't want to put more time into DMC4:SE to fix the criticisms with DMC4's campaign.... DmC also did a good job in telling some of the past story elements of Dante and Vergil's past in that house, but then the rest of the story ended up being trash tier so...

I think in the end DmC is probably the best western action game, but I also think a lot of ideas put into the game DMC5 might benefit from:
- Get rid of trash orb requirements for S rank
- Having better jump mechanics and platforming (DMC4 had trash tier fixed camera jumping and stupid bey blade puzzles)
- Transitioning of weapon combos between weapon switches
- A slightly better weapon switching option than Dante's flipping through 3 weapons on both triggers
- Dedicated dodge button
- Bosses have separate missions

If DMC5 is DMC4.5 I will be truly disappointed.

Also, DMC1 and 3 have terrible cameras and terrible default control layouts that, if I'm remembering right, you can't customize. DmC actually has a competent modern camera and let me change the controls to what they should've been in the first place.
DMC3 allowed you to customize your controls, and the game is from 2005 so I don't think you can fault it for a bad camera comparing it to a game that came out in 2013. A bigger argument could be made that why does a game from 2005 have twice the framerate as a game from 2013. And I don't understand the argument for DMC3 having a terrible controller layout, it's a great layout.

Mr_Zombie

I've also played DmC a month or two ago. After being really critical of the game during it's development and when it was released I have to say I had a pretty good time with it.

The good:
  • combat system; while a lot easier and dumbed down than in DMC3/DMC4, it's still very enjoyable and allow you to do some crazy combos
  • demon and angel switches, that allowed you to have 5 melee weapons available on the go
  • demon pull and angel lift, although they made the aerial combos really easy to pull
  • platforming sections; it's the first DMC game I played where those were quite enjoyable and not a frustrating piece of unnecessarily shit
  • ability to try combos/moves before you buy them and an ability to refund and replace them any time you want without any penalties
  • transforming areas that tries to kill you; neat idea and execution
  • some areas look beautiful
  • weapons, especially Aquila; throwing it around was a pure joy :D
  • the game plays pretty good with mouse and keyboard (while you assign the evade button to something more accessible than the default button) :O

The bad:
  • color coded enemies; stupid, STUPID idea: you are either forced to kill them slowly with demon weapons that hardly allow you to do any combos, or kill them very inefficiently with blue weapons that while fast, deals very little damage; and when you have both red and blue enemy, oh, that's where the fun ends and frustration begins;
  • lack of lock on targeting; it's especially frustrating when you have flying enemies around or have to fight both red and blue enemies; another stupid idea;
  • devil trigger, which I found rather useless. I found it broken with how slow the meter was filling, and how ineffective it eventually was, especially since it launched all enemies around you in the air; sometimes so high that it was impossible to reach them :/ In the end I mostly used it to break enemies attacks.
  • story: boring, stupid with very unlikable characters (both Dante and Vergil were jerks; and Kate was a rather meh character); add constant cursing, edgy content (Kate being raped by demons when she was a child, Dante making out with two girls at once, abortion through sniper rifle, Mundus dry-humping Lilith while the camera focuses on his face) and a very forced conflict between Dante and Vergil at the end of the game. Give me Japanese over-the-top action with a lot of cheese over this anytime you want.
  • no over the top action cut-scenes; other then the one in the intro, the game lacks the wow factor in action scenes and fighting scenes with great choreography. Even when you obtain a new weapon all you get is just Dante looking at it and being "cool!".
  • easy bosses
  • broken stylish system; you could very easily pull off SS combos
  • Kablooey was broken in the PC version; or at least the button the game told me to use to detonate the dart didn't do anything

The ugly:
  • the overall enemies aesthetic; I know that was probably intentional, but (almost) all enemies and especially bosses (Mundus' Spawn, Lilth, Poison) were really repulsive; again, I prefer the approach from previous DMC games.

Z3M0G

Best Devil May Cry game and best Dante. Quite possibly one of my favorite games from last Gen.

My GF finding Dante hot was a major reason I could play the game enough to actually finish it.

The game is also one of the best fusions of action, music, and environment that compliment each other... Just thinking about it makes me want to play.

DE fixed a lot of issues that DMC fans were screaming about since DmC's inception so that was good (and showed Capcom/NT was listening). It's a shame Capcom didn't want to put more time into DMC4:SE to fix the criticisms with DMC4's campaign.... DmC also did a good job in telling some of the past story elements of Dante and Vergil's past in that house, but then the rest of the story ended up being trash tier so...

I think in the end DmC is probably the best western action game, but I also think a lot of ideas put into the game DMC5 might benefit from:
- Get rid of trash orb requirements for S rank
- Having better jump mechanics and platforming (DMC4 had trash tier fixed camera jumping and stupid bey blade puzzles)
- Transitioning of weapon combos between weapon switches
- A slightly better weapon switching option than Dante's flipping through 3 weapons on both triggers
- Dedicated dodge button
- Bosses have separate missions

The weapon switching is definitely too cumbersome in 4. That you need a different number of button presses to access a weapon depending on what weapon you currently have equipped can be a real obstacle to getting into advanced combos.

Better movement in general in addition to better jumping/ dodging controls would be great. There's no grace or power to the DMC characters' movement (not including Stinger). They can only dodge a very short distance in two directions and they don't run very quickly.

Gameplay in the DE is actually pretty good, and there are even certain improvements over past DMC games that DmC shows in general (mainly having a free camera as opposed to a limited/fixed camera in past DMC's, as well as better movement and a dedicated dodge button). I'll echo the sentiment that the characters are trash though. A character action game with unlikeable characters kind of defeats the purpose of being a character action game, right?

zero86r

The reboot was the only DmC game I've ever played and I thoroughly enjoyed it, one of these days I'll get round to playing the HD remaster collection...

A.Romero

Good stuff, OP. It's a fantastic game and the ONLY action game the west has ever done. Be it the basic design the original IP already sports or the Capcom influence in their principles (IIRC Capcom had 8+ staff on board this project with Itsuno overseeing them), NT delivered where they haven't ever set foot before, combat with a high skill ceiling. They were pretty much stuck with the adventure genre before this with a narrative driven set piece heavy approach with combat being on the casual side, but that genre is already populated with some commercial big names like god of war, Darksiders etc.

This was the perfect time for them to elevate themselves and they did so, albeit with legit criticisms affecting gameplay (ignore the silly drive-by's you see on the internet regarding the game/character's looks or even the story).

Angel/Demon specific enemytypes interrupt mixups ending up affecting high level play. Demon pull/Angel lift spams, angel evade, most moves having a very large input buffer window, an OP parry and the frametimes of enemy step resulting in an OP jump cancel. A mechanically inferior title to DMC4 (shouldn't be compared to the original series but that was the previous release and as a consumer you obviously expect something better from the next installment whether it's a sequel or not so...) with a streamlined moveset, completely removing/ignoring stylesets with switching on the fly which made DMC4 a borderline 2D fighting game (and 3SE PC version with style switch mod which is even better). Not to mention lack of hard/toggle lock-on's, double tap directional stingers/moves (MGR had this as well) lack of taunts, a style meter that fills up really fast etc.

The irony is most of these issues (barring moveset) have been fixed in DmC DE and it didn't sell quite as well as the original game. :( It doesn't help much since skill based action games are a bread and butter console genre, but the DE SHOULD release on the PC. It's weird not because, 4SE, inarguably a better game by a mile is on PC but not this. It seems Capcom are fixated that the PC userbase won't care for this. Well, the community will for sure at least. -_-

That said there are quite a few better design choices in DmC than the original series like mid mission checkpoints for example. Also some presentation improvements like stat tracking which weren't in the originals.

I'd soooo want Capcom, after DMC5, to hire NT again to make a DmC 2 having the DE as the base of w/e they come up with. Itsuno before the release of 4SE really sounded ambiguous when asked about a sequel to DmC so it's not out yet. If they do it, it MUST be NT.

Also, do yourself a favor and play 3SE + pickup 4SE on w/e platform you have. They're worth your time and then some, for YEARS.

I will play 3SE however I won't purchase 4SE. I picked it up for PS3 when it came out and broke the disc accidentally. I later purchased it for PC and it is so bug ridden that I had to drop it (it crashes randomly). I refuse to pay for a newer version when the original can't be played because of shoddy development.

It is a really good game (from what I could play), though.

Sesha

I will play 3SE however I won't purchase 4SE. I picked it up for PS3 when it came out and broke the disc accidentally. I later purchased it for PC and it is so bug ridden that I had to drop it (it crashes randomly). I refuse to pay for a newer version when the original can't be played because of shoddy development.

What do you mean? There are no bugs with DMC4 on PC. It runs like a dream and can even run on the shittiest of hardware.

The enemies are good?

Dreamrunner and Drekavec are good, and the Witch and Tyrant are decent, but every other enemy is subpar or straight terrible, on par with DMC3.

dlauv

After playing the Uncharted games and Last of Us, I can't hate DmC anymore. Compared to much of the other stuff people are playing, it's way more of a video game.

Lesser DMC title, but still a good game.

The gameplay is fine, not quite as in-depth as I expect from a Devil May Cry game but whatever, it's still fun, and it's definitely the easiest to get into by far. The story is, well, bad. That isn't to say that the original series was a whole lot better, but I'll still never enjoy DmC Vergil over the original Vergil, he just loses all of his character development and becomes really boring for the most part.

That said, in an ideal world, we would get both a DMC5 and a DmC2. I would be perfectly fine with that, but if one had to be cut for the other to survive, DmC would have been killed off yesterday if it were up to me.

MUnited83

For you.
If anyone wants to give the game a try: go for the Definitive Edition. Every other version is just a terrible, terrible game.

It's because they idiotically used the DX10 version of the engine, despite it never working properly. If you're on Windows 7 there's a fix, but if not, no hope. Capcom fucked it up for no good reason.

ArjanN

Every single DmC thread has ignoramuses who trot out the same tired strawman arguments then never respond whenever 'bitter' DMC 'fanboys' who 'didn't give the game a chance' and 'killed the brand out of spite' somehow manage to articulate detailed critiques of every aspect of the game.

I can't help but be somewhat amused by how fans of DMC mostly brought that on themselves by being hyperbolically negative about DmC, which despite being flawed and a disappointing DMC sequel, was still a pretty good acton game.

A fun game both times I played through it. I'd be in if Ninja Theory ever made a sequel in that vein.

I had a lot of fun with DmC, but haven't been able to make it through Devil May Cry 4. It's so boring and convoluted. I could care less about the story and the gameplay isn't very interesting, nor are the environments.

I was a fan of the first 3, though.

I can't help but be somewhat amused by how fans of DMC mostly brought that on themselves by being hyperbolically negative about DmC, which despite being flawed and a disappointing DMC sequel, was still a pretty good acton game.
Strawmen arguments and drive bye statements should not be acceptable by any means.

I put around 100 hours into the PS3 version and absolutely loved it. I haven't bought the PS4 version yet but the thought of playing the game in 60 FPS plus Turbo mode has me excited. I'm just waiting until I clear out some of my backlog and finally get burnt out on Destiny, then DmC DE will be all mine.

Sesha

Do I really have to dig up every instance of DMC fans being shit on by Tameem, Capcom producer Alex Jones, games press in articles, previews and reviews, and commenters and forum posters across the entire web, and throw out a laundry list of the legit concerns people had during every stage of the game's development and every flaw the game actually has in order to shut down this kind of annoying sentiment?

Yes, DmC is a decent game. Yes, DmC DE is actually pretty solid. Yes, some people were perhaps too hasty in their criticisms. Yes, maybe some people should have given the game a chance. Yes, a lot of people were overly harsh to Ninja Theory. But this kind of comment keeps popping up every single time. "The fans have themselves to blame", "people dislike it just because of the hair/Dante/that "fuck you"/"bigger dick" scene", "fans just don't like change". Every single goddamn time, without fail, like clockwork. Speaking as someone that keeps trying to address the negativity towards the game when it pops up, it's just as tiring as the people that still get riled up about the game or Ninja Theory.

Seyavesh

seriously am i fuckin' crazy about the sound effects?? they're actually unbearably bad to me

like that million slashes (or whatever the aquila spin is called) combined with the hit sound...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLIPcWjkyc

Do I really have to dig up every instance of DMC fans being shit on by Tameem, Capcom producer Alex Jones, games press in articles, previews and reviews, and commenters and forum posters across the entire web, and throw out a laundry list of the legit concerns people had during every stage of the game's development and every flaw the game actually has in order to shut down this kind of annoying sentiment?
you could but they'll still be the same because it's happened again and again

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

To me, the irony lies in peoples' ignorant and baseless bashing of the DMC fanbase for being supposedly ignorant and baseless. It'd be pretty hilarious if it wasn't so tiring. "White hair lol" wasn't the issue 6 months after the reveal, but that's what people continue to toss around even today. And the second most popular accusation that we "didn't play the game" or "give it a chance" is ironic because most DMC diehards probably played DmC more than the people defending it.

There were some extreme reactions, like with any reboot, but it was through fan criticism that DmCDE released and was a substantially improved game. This shows how valuable the fan reaction and feedback was.

If fans stayed quiet, DmCDE wouldn't have come out with all the improvements it did. If fans just bought up the game despite having real issues with DmC, then DmC would have been the new series going forward (confirmed by Itsuno essentially in an interview). Basically, fans were correct that the franchise they cared about was on the line, and reacted accordingly.

It wouldn't matter. People have had journalists like Jim Sterling (an otherwise great guy) stoke the fires, blame the fans and try to make it an "us vs them" mentality since the game was revealed back in 2010. It's made DMC conversations a minefield and now nobody can have decent discussions about the series (both sides of it) without it devolving into...well, this essentially.

seriously am i fuckin' crazy about the sound effects?? they're actually unbearably bad to me

like that million slashes (or whatever the aquila spin is called) combined with the hit sound...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLIPcWjkyc

you could but they'll still be the same because it's happened again and again

Nah, I've always felt the same. The sounds lack a certain weight to them, like Dante's just throwing around a light steel pipe or something. The Kablooey (still a horrendous name) sounds decent though.

Jintor

the angel/demon weapon shit was incredibly irritating. Obsoleting half your moveset based on colour coded enemies is never fun.

It was okay, had some cool visual stuff, didn't really mind dante and virg. But that gameplay, ugh.

Top Bottom